ADVERTISEMENT

Supposedly rumors have been stated that Spurrier has called.....

BlueRaider22

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
.....an impromptu press conference for 4:30 today. There is no listed topic about the press conference. It has led some to speculate about Spurrier's future..... (but, of course, that always comes up)

Leads to an interesting question:
a) Would you rather face USC this yr with a declining "Old Ball Coach" at the helm
or
b) Face USC under new management?

New management, if it has to be put in place at this late date. Likely a train wreck. We are staring down both barrels of two-a-days. Especially since we play them so early.

Unless he just developed serious health problems, I cannot imagine he would retire two weeks before fall practice starts. Maybe announcing he will retire at the end of 2015?

No way he doesn't coach this year. He may, however, announce that he will be retiring at year's end. Which would probably get him for 2 or 3 more victories this season.

I watched a periscope of it....

Said their enemies, which are the media, kept saying he is retiring which he isn't. Said he will be the coach, and that age is just a number. What matters is your mental and physical state. When he gets too old to call plays he will get another coach. Said they will have a good team this year, and since Clemsons QB called them out and they will be ready for the last game of the year.

Said the negative rumors haven't hurt recruiting, but they kept kids from coming there.(Classic OBC) The main reason for the press conference is he didn't think he did to well at the ESPN shows the other day, and some kids were thinking of committing so he wanted them to know for sure who the coach was going to be.

Reactions: hunterpapa
He is done. He knows he is done. Everyone in that program knows he is done. Recruits know he is done. Nowadays people want to love him as a jovial entertaining part of college football. I look forward to UK pounding his visor into the turf in week 2 and cause the retirement talk to get at a deafening level.

Hey Steve, you're freakin 70 years old, those rumors aren't going away. If anything, they'll gain strength, especially with a repeat of last season.

There's blood in the water around Columbia, guys.

He is done. He knows he is done. Everyone in that program knows he is done. Recruits know he is done. Nowadays people want to love him as a jovial entertaining part of college football. I look forward to UK pounding his visor into the turf in week 2 and cause the retirement talk to get at a deafening level.
Ditto. Payback is a bit$h and the beating he put on UK over the years (on the field and in the media) has not been forgotten.

Don't see CMS being the guy to run it up on him given the chance, and while I like our chances to win even in Columbia, I am not going to lay any money on us even having the chance to humiliate SC this season. Doesn't everyone listening know that CMS has literally vacationed with the guy? I think most around here have noticed a change in his airs regarding UK since the guard last changed in Lexington.

Like it or not, he actually affords us some grudging respect now for having actually hired someone he recognizes as a football coach. He was there to some degree with Coach Brooks as well.

He dealt Bill Curry what Bill Curry deserved.

Reactions: bigbluemist

So you're saying there's a chance..........
giphy.gif

I watched the press conference and it actually made me think a little about UK expectations regarding USC. A whole lot of UK fans (along with a whole lot of fans of other SEC teams) think Spurrier is on the decline because they underachieved last season relative to expectations. But, it seems to me that view is somewhat simplistic and based purely on past results (which we all know can change). South Carolina had a really good offense in 2014, but their defense was terrible. They have some question marks on offense, but assuming they can keep their offense performing well (with Spurrier I'd be surprised if they didn't) and improve even slightly on defense then I could see them winning a few more games than they did last season. Given they had only one returning defensive lineman and 2 new cornerbacks last season and they've added a co-defensive coordinator, I can't see them not being at least slightly better on defense. I never count the old ball coach out. When he is gone South Carolina will return to its days of being just ahead of Vandy in the SEC hierarchy, which will be a good thing for UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: jnewc2
I love it when he's on the CWS sidelines pacing and the clock is winding down to a loss to the Cats and he takes his headset off and pulls his visor down over his face. It feels so good.

As they say in the NFL, when you start talking about retiring, you already have. I think that might be true of coaches as well. When you start bringing the subject up, kids are going to have second thoughts about coming. No one escapes the clock. Love him or hate him Spurrier is one of the all time great college football coaches and IMO he does demand respect.

i hope he stays but takes scar down a few notches before he goes. they lost a bunch of kids out of one class 2 years ago and i would love to see the next 2 classes for them implode. the sec is a tough conference and it makes it easier if you dont have to pass top 20 teams to climb the ladder. 4 more years... 4 more years... 4 more years.

Spurrier is great coach, won Heisman on field and sideline, got cocky as innovator and motivated team with his swagger. Respect him, don't have to love him.

Reactions: I am stupid

Help my memory...............when was it again that UK "pounded SC into the turf" in football? I dare say UK hasn't "pounded" anyone into the turf in years. I'd wait until you start before predicting it................maybe you want to bet that money in Vegas on the SC/UK game. I mean really, if you all are that good that you'll pound SC at home, it should be easy money right?

Help my memory...............when was it again that UK "pounded SC into the turf" in football? I dare say UK hasn't "pounded" anyone into the turf in years. I'd wait until you start before predicting it................maybe you want to bet that money in Vegas on the SC/UK game. I mean really, if you all are that good that you'll pound SC at home, it should be easy money right?

That presser he held was desperate.

Right. You think holding a press conference to tell people you have the mind and body of a 55 year old is positive?

Yes..........very positive..........he got sick of idiots who know nothing about him and have never spoken to him about it stating this would be his last year if things didn't go the way he wanted. He was sick of media pin heads who don't like him stating bs as if they know something. Funny, when someone in the media lies, it's freedom of the press. So a coach calls bs on a media member and calls him out for what he is and everyone else gets butt hurt. I find it comical that someone on here said it was desperate? It was simply trying to shut up all the bs speculation and to tell recruits don't listen to bs. Coaches (like Butch Jones at UT) are using his age to sway recruits. Not saying I wouldn't do the same thing, but funny you guys want to dog Spurrier for countering the speculation.

Look, he's 70, and he won't coach forever...........but 3-5 more years is very possible. Could he quit after this year, of course........he's earned that right.

Yes..........very positive..........he got sick of idiots who know nothing about him and have never spoken to him about it stating this would be his last year if things didn't go the way he wanted. He was sick of media pin heads who don't like him stating bs as if they know something. Funny, when someone in the media lies, it's freedom of the press. So a coach calls bs on a media member and calls him out for what he is and everyone else gets butt hurt. I find it comical that someone on here said it was desperate? It was simply trying to shut up all the bs speculation and to tell recruits don't listen to bs. Coaches (like Butch Jones at UT) are using his age to sway recruits. Not saying I wouldn't do the same thing, but funny you guys want to dog Spurrier for countering the speculation.

Look, he's 70, and he won't coach forever...........but 3-5 more years is very possible. Could he quit after this year, of course........he's earned that right.

Lighten up Francis. Today's show is over. We'll see you on 9/12.

Reactions: CB3UK and kb22stang

Bahaha. Nothing screams "nothing to see here" like holding a press conference to talk about it. Few more pressers and a few more practices limping around with his shirt off and I think he has this thing licked!

Reactions: Kentucky81
Bud Dupree says hello.

Historically speaking, your team is garbage. Go away.

JoJo Kemp sends his regards as well and looks forward to carving up your porous D again this year.

You gamecocks need to realize you've reached your high point under Spurrier and are on your back down to the historical mediocrity we are used to seeing from you.

JoJo Kemp sends his regards as well and looks forward to carving up your porous D again this year.

You gamecocks need to realize you've reached your high point under Spurrier and are on your back down to the historical mediocrity we are used to seeing from you.

In all fairness we are used to seeing it because UK was right there with them.

South Carolina is a horrible football school....a laughing stock. We are gonna beat them in the ground by at least 21 this year and I don't see them ever beating us again with Stoops leading the charge!!

I don't care whether he retires or not. As long as he's coach though, he'll beat Georgia regularly.
He had 3 losses of 3 points last year. He's still got it, and I hope we beat him 2X in a row for the first time ever.

ADVERTISEMENT