ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Mashup- 5/3/15

JPFisher

Senior
Jul 24, 2013
WKY
Well, folks, the next few months (summer after May 30th) may or may not have a Sunday mashup with the job I appear to be heading for, so I'm sorry if I miss a weekend or two... Or three. I'll do my best to post them, but it may not be on the weekend necessarily.

We got past a helluva Derby run and I'd like to congratulate Floyd Mayweather for winning the 141st running of the Kentucky Derby.... Wait... (It's a joke, boohoo).

In all seriousness, though, the Derby was one of then best races I can remember. I thoroughly enjoyed the day and hope you all did as well. Congratulations, American Pharoah.

Now for some football.

>Our football Cats will make some noise in the NFL. Bud went to Pittsburg in the first round and Z went to the Ravens in the 4th. I despise both of these teams, but you cannot deny their defensive prowess, and I feel good about the future of these two having gone to solid playoff contenders. Go get a ring, fellas.

>Braylon Heard went un-drafted and with mixed views from several in the fanbase. Many said he was smart to go, but I honestly think that with the new system and another year of figuring out how to stand up to contact, he could've become a much higher pick. However, BBN will be behind him in his endeavors and we wish him the best.

>Darrian Miller was a huge surprise to me. He went un-drafted and I honestly expected someone to pick him up in the 6th round- onward. Whoever gets him will get at least a serviceable addition to a practice squad. I think he performed well here at UK and hope him the best.

>The "new" midfield logo for UK has drawn some ire from many in the fanbase including me. I despise the old/new logo and will not go into further detail about it.

>Kentucky continues to pile up the talented walk-ons. Isaiah Brown and a few others should give us nice additions when it's all said and done.

That is all I have for this Mashup. Be sure to say if I missed anything. I know we have some recruiting rumbles around and about for the future, but we still have to wait and see if any of them are worth mentioning. Definitely an interesting time to be a Cat fan. As always, feel free to comment, have a great Sunday, an excellent week, and Go Big Blue!

Mashup Question: Who would you rather see have a breakout year? Derek Willis on the basketball squad or Joey Herrick on the football squad? Herrick has some potential and it'll be interesting to see where he goes from here. Solid player. They both are, when given more than mop-up minutes.

Folks can discuss Willis on Rafters - I hope he and the rest of them all have breakout years.

Joey Herrick is a somewhat under-appreciated and somewhat misunderstood player. He is a very physical receiver, and is very reliable. He runs consistent routes and makes big catches in traffic, sometimes out-muscling DBs. He was used in sort of a hybrid receiver/tight end mode last year as our TEs were not strong in the passing game - and he delivered. He is not blessed with great speed or athleticism so I do not think he is a candidate to "break out". Even though we have Conrad and Long coming in this year, they have zero experience at the TE position, while Blue and Robinson, the experienced hands at receiver are now departed. Therefore I think Herrick will continue to be a reliable and important piece of the offense.

Folks can discuss Willis on Rafters - I hope he and the rest of them all have breakout years.

Joey Herrick is a somewhat under-appreciated and somewhat misunderstood player. He is a very physical receiver, and is very reliable. He runs consistent routes and makes big catches in traffic, sometimes out-muscling DBs. He was used in sort of a hybrid receiver/tight end mode last year as our TEs were not strong in the passing game - and he delivered. He is not blessed with great speed or athleticism so I do not think he is a candidate to "break out". Even though we have Conrad and Long coming in this year, they have zero experience at the TE position, while Blue and Robinson, the experienced hands at receiver are now departed. Therefore I think Herrick will continue to be a reliable and important piece of the offense.

I appreciate what Herrick brings to the team. Problem is he lacks real breakout talent. Still, UK needs a game breaking big play type receiver. Question is...is there one or more on the roster? Time will tell.

Reactions: MountainParkway
If I had to guess who among our receivers might have a breakout year it would be Baker. He is an amazing talent that is just learning how to play at the P1 level, Bone would be my next choice. He has a chance to be a huge red zone threat and a solid possession receiver out of the X position.

Well, folks, the next few months (summer after May 30th) may or may not have a Sunday mashup with the job I appear to be heading for, so I'm sorry if I miss a weekend or two... Or three. I'll do my best to post them, but it may not be on the weekend necessarily.

We got past a helluva Derby run and I'd like to congratulate Floyd Mayweather for winning the 141st running of the Kentucky Derby.... Wait... (It's a joke, boohoo).

In all seriousness, though, the Derby was one of then best races I can remember. I thoroughly enjoyed the day and hope you all did as well. Congratulations, American Pharoah.

Now for some football.

>Our football Cats will make some noise in the NFL. Bud went to Pittsburg in the first round and Z went to the Ravens in the 4th. I despise both of these teams, but you cannot deny their defensive prowess, and I feel good about the future of these two having gone to solid playoff contenders. Go get a ring, fellas.

>Braylon Heard went un-drafted and with mixed views from several in the fanbase. Many said he was smart to go, but I honestly think that with the new system and another year of figuring out how to stand up to contact, he could've become a much higher pick. However, BBN will be behind him in his endeavors and we wish him the best.

>Darrian Miller was a huge surprise to me. He went un-drafted and I honestly expected someone to pick him up in the 6th round- onward. Whoever gets him will get at least a serviceable addition to a practice squad. I think he performed well here at UK and hope him the best.

>The "new" midfield logo for UK has drawn some ire from many in the fanbase including me. I despise the old/new logo and will not go into further detail about it.

>Kentucky continues to pile up the talented walk-ons. Isaiah Brown and a few others should give us nice additions when it's all said and done.

That is all I have for this Mashup. Be sure to say if I missed anything. I know we have some recruiting rumbles around and about for the future, but we still have to wait and see if any of them are worth mentioning. Definitely an interesting time to be a Cat fan. As always, feel free to comment, have a great Sunday, an excellent week, and Go Big Blue!

Mashup Question: Who would you rather see have a breakout year? Derek Willis on the basketball squad or Joey Herrick on the football squad? Herrick has some potential and it'll be interesting to see where he goes from here. Solid player. They both are, when given more than mop-up minutes.

Thanks as always JP for the write up, have enjoyed all of them. I hope both are well equipped to help. But since BB season is over it's time for the most important part and that the FB team is ready to make some noise this year.
Go BB

Reactions: tomcat58
I don't consider Herrick a mop-up duty player. He has some of the best hands on the team. Maybe not the quickest, but one of the most reliable as far as last year.

As far as Willis........ we shall see. You know what you get with Harrick, but we haven't seen enough of Willis and his play in non-mop-up duties in the court.

So I'm hoping Willis can have the break out year. His help will carry UK along way this year if he can show it on the court.

I appreciate what Herrick brings to the team. Problem is he lacks real breakout talent. Still, UK needs a game breaking big play type receiver. Question is...is there one or more on the roster? Time will tell.

I appreciate what he brings to the team as well. Don't agree with the breakout talent comment. What does that really mean? I have seen that kid maneuver into positions to catch balls and take the extreme hit. If he is on the field, and he is, then if balls are thrown and he catches, then progress is being made.

As a former collegiate walk-on, I appreciate what JH brings to this team! Let's just sit back and watch.

Reactions: JPFisher
If Herrick has a big year, I hope it is not because some of the higher rated receivers get hurt or don't develop to their potential.

Hope he plays well. But if he gets played over by younger guys it would indicate we have a crop dang good receivers.

I love Herrick, but with all of the potential talent at WR, I am going with Willis. Not as many options on the basketball team right now.

i kinda hope herrick does blow up this year. if timmons, badet, johnson, conrad, and baker all improve the way we think then there could be a whole lot of catches for a tall guy with good hands over the middle. could see him getting a boatload of 5 to 10 yard catches with all the pressure that those guys could put on a secondary.

The kid has great hands and real toughness in traffic. I remember reading some posters slam and/or question him when he came from Juco. He was better than any WR this staff inherited, other than Demarco. I expect him to have a really solid year.

ADVERTISEMENT