ADVERTISEMENT

Suggestions/recommendations regarding an inground pool?

Mojocat

All-American
Jan 29, 2003
Other than, hurry up and get it installed so I can drown myself.....

My kids are making noises about a pool. Other than somehow forming the vague impression that it would cost $30,000-50,000 (which could be totally wrong), I don't really have any clue. in other words, I assume it will be expensive, and that's about all I know.

Any of you know anything about this? Concrete vs Fiberglass vs Vinyl (I think I just saw something that laid out the choice that way). Suntime West is a company in Louisville that's been recommended to me. Just found someone online in Louisville called Sunset Fiberglass Pools.

Any thoughts would be appreciated......

If you own a pickup, $20 for some plastic sheeting and you are set.

jAgROwH.jpg

Briefly considered it, but I don't have a pickup. Would likely flood an SUV.....

Ton of work that YOU will be doing. Don't do it unless you can afford a pool girl.

I put an inground liner pool in myself about four years ago. I went with a saltwater pool and bought a robot cleaner. Lot less work and chemicals.

Wife convinced me to put one in about 10 years ago. I think it cost about $30K for a vinyl in-ground (16x32) pool. We have a heater, so we can heat it on occasion and swim in the fall/winter/spring. Usually the first snow, and maybe 1-2 other times we will heat it. We went with a salt-water system. That does make it much easier to maintain. So don't have to open & close the pool for the winter, I just put a cover on it to keep the pine needles and leaves out in the fall/winter. The salt-system takes the salt and creates chlorine at the set percentage of time that you determine (usually 5-20%), so once you get that set, you should spend <$100/yr on chemicals. You can't taste the salt, but it allows you to keep chlorine at more constant and lower levels. We added a big slide about 4 years ago, another $1000. The salt-systems last 5-10 years, and are about $500-1000 for a new one.

Fiberglass is not a good option here in NC where we have clay soil. The clay is so compacted that it doesn't drain well, so fiberglass pool can pop up out of the ground. So here you either go concrete or vinyl.

But if you do this, it is NOT an investment. You won't get out of it use-wise, what you put into it ($ or time). But, especially if you have kids, it does give you a lot more flexibility if you are able to do it. Do you want your kids going to other people's house, or do you want other kids coming to your house, is one question you will have to ask yourself.

Last edited:
If you own a pickup, $20 for some plastic sheeting and you are set.

jAgROwH.jpg

We used to do this a lot in high school. We'd cover it with black plastic and let it bake in the Tennessee sun all day. By the time school let out, the girls would strip down, hop in, and we'd all drive up and down mainstreet.

"(singing) Gee, our old LaSalle ran great......those were the days......"

Thanks for the replies.

We have a fiberglass. We like it, but it's a ton of work. Wanting to convert to salt water. Would recommend that.

Fiberglass seems the best choice. What makes for the ton of work? And I'm presuming there is nothing about "fiberglass" and "salt water" that don't go together - you just mean you didn't opt for salt water in the beginning and now you need to make the change.....

We put in a fiberglass salt water pool several years ago. We also went with the cartridge filter instead of sand. We also bought a robotic pool cleaner. It's really not very much work at all. You have to add salt occasionally as the rain will dilute the salt in the water. You have to clean the filter once a month or so. You also have to check the alkalinity and PH once a week. Mine doesn't change that much, so we really don't add much in the way of chemicals. I've had people tell me not to get a pool because I would hate all the work. So far the upkeep has been very reasonable.

Reactions: Chuckinden
Thanks for the replies.

Fiberglass seems the best choice. What makes for the ton of work? And I'm presuming there is nothing about "fiberglass" and "salt water" that don't go together - you just mean you didn't opt for salt water in the beginning and now you need to make the change.....
I think if you buy the robot, filter instead of sand, it might be easier.

We still use chlorine tabs. We have to change filter at minimun 2 times a week and check chemicals. And with rain, clean out the algae.

We put in a fiberglass salt water pool several years ago. We also went with the cartridge filter instead of sand. We also bought a robotic pool cleaner. It's really not very much work at all. You have to add salt occasionally as the rain will dilute the salt in the water. You have to clean the filter once a month or so. You also have to check the alkalinity and PH once a week. Mine doesn't change that much, so we really don't add much in the way of chemicals. I've had people tell me not to get a pool because I would hate all the work. So far the upkeep has been very reasonable.
Musical to my ears, thanks.
I think if you buy the robot, filter instead of sand, it might be easier.
We still use chlorine tabs. We have to change filter at minimun 2 times a week and check chemicals. And with rain, clean out the algae.
Got it, thanks.

No matter if its fiberglass or concrete, in-ground or above-ground, this is your future...

pool_zpsfhbyfrsc.jpg

Enjoy.

Is that Mountain Dew? I'd not thought of that.....

Tell the kids to go get a water hose and play in the water like I did growing up and go buy yourself one of these. http://www.hdgolf.com/gallery/photos/residential

Both are not the greatest financial investments, but you will get a lot more enjoyment and less time having to maintain this bad boy at the same cost.

"My next house will not have a pool," (what most people who have a pool will say). It takes more than "just a little bit" of time and expense to maintain one.
Not with my pool. The robot is the key...no vacuuming. Very little maintenance on a salt water system with chemicals. I put it in 4-5 yrs ago and don't regret it.

Agree with this. Only thing that I would add/change from some of the above posts is that I would go with a sand filter rather than cylinder. With spring in KY and the amount of pollen, you'll be cleaning your cylinder filter a few times a week to get the robot moving. Went to sand late this spring and prefer it.

Not with my pool. The robot is the key...no vacuuming. Very little maintenance on a salt water system with chemicals. I put it in 4-5 yrs ago and don't regret it.

I had a robot. The key is having little kids. My grandchildren loved it - until they became teenagers. After that it sat unused except maybe once a week for about 15 minutes. Same expense and effort whether used or not.

We have heated, but dont turn it on, except in the start or end of season. Cost too much money.
No money, no problem. You just need some gasoline (syphoned from your least favorite neighbor's car) and a week's worth of garbage.

6222014044623.jpg

Or invite these people over to warm your pool...

enhanced-18182-1404335554-1.jpg

Last edited:
Can't say this enough, but like with any home improvement cost doesn't equal value. If you spend $25,000 it may add $10,000 to your home value (that is the standard appraisal adjustment in west KY).

I have always heard a fiberglass pool could "pop up" out the ground, but some fiberglass pool makers said it was impossible with thousands of gallons of water and tons of weight.

I wonder if this one was full of water in Florida?

popped-pool.jpg

I have always heard a fiberglass pool could "pop up" out the ground, but some fiberglass pool makers said it was impossible with thousands of gallons of water and tons of weight.

I wonder if this one was full of water in Florida?

popped-pool.jpg

Ships weigh a lot more, and water can displace them upward. All it takes is a soil that doesn't drain well (clay) and for water to get next to & under the fiberglass liner. But that picture is unlikely to happen. What you could see is a few cm, maybe an inch or two displacement.

ADVERTISEMENT