ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops sounded upset with interior O-Line play at PC today

catben

All-American
Sep 13, 2003
He was upset that they were missing assignments, not reading the defensive alignments correctly and not being physical enough on certain plays. He stated that they had worked REPEATEDLY on those things in practice but they were STILL not playing at a level he thought they should be at. Lack of communication was a problem also which is RIDICULOUS at this point in the season.

Yenser’s days could be numbered.

Last edited:
He was upset that they were missing assignments, not reading the defensive alignments correctly and not being physical enough on certain plays. He stated that they had worked REPEATEDLY on those things in practice but they were STILL not playing at a level he thought they should be at. Lack of communication was a problem also which is RIDICULOUS at this point in the season.

This has falls on the players too. E Cox makes the blocking calls for the OL, these guys have to get their head out of their ass and make plays.

This has falls on the players too. E Cox makes the blocking calls for the OL, these guys have to get their head out of their ass and make plays.
Coach Stoops emphasized the “interior” O-Line, which is definitely Eli, Burton and Horsey. But not being able to communicate and perform because you are confused falls DIRECTLY on Yenser and to an extent Coen. But, not being physical enough is on the players.

This program misses JS!
Looks like we spend more time on our fighting and mouthing off than we do assignments. We really miss JS!

Coach Stoops emphasized the “interior” O-Line, which is definitely Eli, Burton and Horsey. But not being able to communicate and perform because you are confused falls DIRECTLY on Yenser and to an extent Coen. But, not being physical enough is on the players.

Probably explains why Ray was in heavy rotation Saturday. I know I said it early and keep saying it, but kid is a player. Horsey is having a tough year and Jager is inconsistent at best.

Cox had one of the worst plays vs UT I ever saw from an OL. Was on the QB sneak. Snapped the ball and came out way high. He was driven backwards into Leary and we lost half a yard. I doubt we can ever run another sneak as awful as that looked.

All starts with the head coach. For crying out loud.

To be fair, those obnoxious cowbells may have played some part last week.
Maybe in the first quarter, but MissSt fans shut up real quick when their team got punched in the mouth. Cowbells shouldn't have been an issue for the stagnant second half OL performance. We were gifted PERFECT field position the entire second half and did absolutely nothing with it.

We just haven’t recruited the position well. Just a lot of misses and some bad luck

I thought we should have ran more off tackle stuff against the Bulldogs, they stacked the middle all game keying on Ray, Tennessee did the same thing to stop the run between the guards.

Maybe in the first quarter, but MissSt fans shut up real quick when their team got punched in the mouth. Cowbells shouldn't have been an issue for the stagnant second half OL performance. We were gifted PERFECT field position the entire second half and did absolutely nothing with it.
True, but don't discount the maddening tendency for Stoops to put the offense in the cooler when we're comfortably ahead. The best OL in history of football can't run right at an 8- and 9-man front with any success. And, MSU knew exactly what we were going 'run' from midway thru the 3rd quarter on - run left, run right, run middle, punt.

True, but don't discount the maddening tendency for Stoops to put the offense in the cooler when we're comfortably ahead. The best OL in history of football can't run right at an 8- and 9-man front with any success. And, MSU knew exactly what we were going 'run' from midway thru the 3rd quarter on - run left, run right, run middle, punt.
Agreed. Stoops is a lot of blame for running the ball into unlikely situations

Nice play action to TE was not going to be called. Instead it’s run the ball into endless defenders for two yards to get rhe clock running

Didn't help that we completely abandoned the gameplan for the entire 4th quarter once Sheron came in. At that point we just played not to lose. Failed to use the opportunity to get Sheron some meaningful reps.

Probably explains why Ray was in heavy rotation Saturday. I know I said it early and keep saying it, but kid is a player. Horsey is having a tough year and Jager is inconsistent at best.

Cox had one of the worst plays vs UT I ever saw from an OL. Was on the QB sneak. Snapped the ball and came out way high. He was driven backwards into Leary and we lost half a yard. I doubt we can ever run another sneak as awful as that looked.
E. Cox has had a struggle this season. Really hope Keenum is as advertised and can challenge him next spring, returning Cox to OG if E. Cox returns. Think we'll see heavy OL portal activity by UK but could they open spring with:

LT-Dylan Ray
LG-E Cox
C-Keenum
RG-Burton
RT-Ford

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
E. Cox has had a struggle this season. Really hope Keenum is as advertised and can challenge him next spring, returning Cox to OG if E. Cox returns. Think we'll see heavy OL portal activity by UK but could they open spring with:

LT-Dylan Ray
LG-E Cox
C-Keenum
RG-Burton
RT-Ford

I love Ray for the value he provides. I will be shocked if he can move to LT although apparently that's his position. I'd just have to see it to believe it.

Agreed. Stoops is a lot of blame for running the ball into unlikely situations

Nice play action to TE was not going to be called. Instead it’s run the ball into endless defenders for two yards to get rhe clock running

This has been CMS's mo since he has been at UK. This method has won UK alot of games. It was pretty clear MSU wasn't going to get back in the game unless UK helped them. No it isn't exciting to the fans, not very entertaining, but it's a recipe winning teams have used for decades. I don't like it when Kirby goes to it either, not fun to watch.

LT-Dylan Ray
LG-E Cox
C-Keenum
RG-Burton
RT-Ford
It was good to hear Coen bragging on Wood. Maybe he could be a good depth piece at OT next season. Coen said he has already totally transformed his body and is serious about his development.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT