ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops on Devin Leary

That was my thought exactly. Everyone was saying to win that game they would have to make those kinds of plays, but right out of the box negative side of UK's passing game reared it's ugly head. I don't think anyone was beating Georgia that night but we could have at least made the game live up to it's billing.
You could se this coming a mile away, UGA had stumbled thru their first 5 games but they were at home, at night and playing a team that had their full attention. They had heard all the noise that this wasn't the UGA team of the past 2 years.

On our side we were a little too full of ourselves after the UF game Going forward the Missouri game will be interesting. They are coming off a tough loss and may either be a little flat or mad as hell. I think Missouri is a team we can beat if we come to play. It is probably a toss up as to what UK team will show up on Saturday.

Missouri has some firepower to be sure but they looked a bit undisciplined against LSU. I thought they took a few cheap shots at LSU players.

I gotcha. No worries. I found it interesting that CMS commented on the divide in last years team, saying he hopes this season doesn’t follow in the same path. To me, that was a little alarming. I see that at mostly Scang and half the offense, but see his comment directed more toward Devin on this season. Just my observation though.
Team probably thinks Leary is ass. WRs probably feel like Devin isn't setting them up for success. While Leary probably thinks the WRs are ass. Just a headache.

The plan or those executing the plan? When you see guys getting pushed back 2 or 3 yards on every snap it doesn't take a genius to see which team is super charged with energy and which one is just trying to get through the night. A different plan wouldn't fix that.

...so where was the team that FOUGHT last season. This one came out slow, tentative, and most played passive all night. Very disappointing to see from the opening kickoff

Reactions: southindycat
We were moving the ball early on the ground and then abandoned our game plan after the two stupid penalties which helped UGA take a 21-0 lead. Think everyone just gave up at that point. But your right, the Dawgs are pretty much going to bully everyone they play.

3 Stupid penalties. Burton had a needless Hold, a WTF! UC/PF?, and didn't snap the ball when the rest of our offense expected it to be ssnapped. Brooks would've snapped his head clean off for that sht

How do you fix an unsteady arm when you're playing college ball?

I've seen leary throw wobbles to the receivers.

I think his prior injury affected his throw and if so, how the heck are we going to improve?

Leary was so accurate in fall camp and practices and now can't even hit the open man. This doesn't make sense, people were raving about how accurate he was. I know camp and practice is not against SEC defenses, but an open man is an open man. He is struggling bad with putting it where he wants it. I would say our back up could hit the open man, but it looks like the only chance the backup QB will get is if Leary can't go. This means we will never have a very good back up because they won't ever get the chance. This is frustrating because the line has been giving him time, the season's half over now and I'm afraid not much is going to change.
He’s become a head case. Absolutely has lost all confidence in himself. The one thing that can help get it back is WRs catching the good ones. Which has been a problem.

Don't look now, but it's exactly what I say week after week: Leary is fine. His wrs are killing us. I don't think this adjustment even considers bad/poor/wrong routes, of which we have many

Reactions: mrschwump

Don't look now, but it's exactly what I say week after week: Leary is fine. His wrs are killing us. I don't think this adjustment even considers bad/poor/wrong routes, of which we have many
I don’t buy this. ..he’s had drop (and all teams drop)..but he’s missing dudes in every game

This smells like the PFF stats that grades the Oline low after Florida game

I don’t buy this. ..he’s had drop (and all teams drop)..but he’s missing dudes in every game

This smells like the PFF stats that grades the Oline low after Florida game

I'm not relying on just that. I'm relying on my eyes that told me our wrs were playing poorly from game one. Brown played poorly last year. This data just matches the facts

I think psychologically for fans, it seems worse because there are some crucial misses. It's like the OT that has 100 great pass pro reps, but all any fan remembers is the 1 sack he gave up

He’s become a head case. Absolutely has lost all confidence in himself. The one thing that can help get it back is WRs catching the good ones. Which has been a problem.
It is clear Leary and his receivers have been on different scripts all season long. I read that 11% of Leary's incompletions have been dropped by Kentucky receivers. Huge number of drops. This is Woody's problem. Are there not enough footballs to go around, or is there a communications gap between Leary and his receivers? Get it fixed or try something different.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
It is clear Leary and his receivers have been on different scripts all season long. I read that 11% of Leary's incompletions have been dropped by Kentucky receivers. Huge number of drops. This is Woody's problem. Are there not enough footballs to go around, or is there a communications gap between Leary and his receivers? Get it fixed or try something different.

Drops are the most visible issue. Then you have the wrong reads where the wr doesn't sit in the right hole. Leary throws to the hole but the wr overruns it. A great sign from key last week was a route where he curled in, then slide to the sideline into the hole and Leary immediately find him. I didn't notice that until I saw van hiles break it down. All year, Leary waited on these guys to see the same holes and they haven't. Maybe they'll soon turn the corner.

The other issue is lazy/poor routes mainly from brown. On his go/fades he releases way outside, right on the sideline, and gives the QB nowhere to throw the ball. Then he inexplicably always turns and backpedals hoping to catch it with his pads. Never over the shoulder, never high points. Just awful and I have no idea why coen continues to force it to him deep.

Of course QB play could be better. Of course QB misses throws. But the way bigger issue is the poor wr play.

While we're at it, how about some praise for the fact Leary almost always quickly makes the right read and has great pocket presence (all areas where Levis was terrible). The much improved OL pass blocking is as much to do with him as it is the ol.

Not the plays Bowers was open but saw Afari on him more than once. Thought all in all Afari did a respectable job on Bowers.
Have to remember that Bowers is the best TE in college football and will be on par with guys like George Kittle, Travis Kelce, Rob Gronkowski etc. when he gets to the next level. His name could be in the Heisman conversation before the years over. What he did to us is the same thing he’s doing to everybody UGA faces. It’s not like we were all of a sudden gonna have the magic Elixer to stop him.

Drops are the most visible issue. Then you have the wrong reads where the wr doesn't sit in the right hole. Leary throws to the hole but the wr overruns it. A great sign from key last week was a route where he curled in, then slide to the sideline into the hole and Leary immediately find him. I didn't notice that until I saw van hiles break it down. All year, Leary waited on these guys to see the same holes and they haven't. Maybe they'll soon turn the corner.

The other issue is lazy/poor routes mainly from brown. On his go/fades he releases way outside, right on the sideline, and gives the QB nowhere to throw the ball. Then he inexplicably always turns and backpedals hoping to catch it with his pads. Never over the shoulder, never high points. Just awful and I have no idea why coen continues to force it to him deep.

Of course QB play could be better. Of course QB misses throws. But the way bigger issue is the poor wr play.

While we're at it, how about some praise for the fact Leary almost always quickly makes the right read and has great pocket presence (all areas where Levis was terrible). The much improved OL pass blocking is as much to do with him as it is the ol.
I was glad to see Key finally get off the toilet and make a couple of plays. Hopefully that was a confidence booster for him. Not sure what’s up with Brown. Coen really needs to get in these guys ears better, there’s too much talent and Leary is a better QB than what we’ve seen of him. He proved it at NC State. We love Coen and we love the system, but he hasn’t expectations himself this year either.

Damn good post !!

• Love
Better be on A game offensively and defensively. B. Cook looks to be the real deal with receivers that make the catches.

Watching Leary play yesterday, I thought he was doing a great job running the offense. Once they stopped being aggressive and his WRs started dropping balls, and his line let him get smashed, everything changed in the passing game itself. He used his feet well to escape the pocket and on called draws.

WHY we keep calling for the slow-developing, rollout right from under center, right into the speed rush of the opponent's DE is BEYOND COMPREHENSION. If you want to do that sht from the shotgun, sure. But from under center is a REALLY BAD IDEA.

Once again in this game, we start out feeding Ray Davis on creative blocking and motion plays, then run play action off of that to decent effect.

Unfortunately, as the game goes on, we start running routes that put the rush DE DIRECTLY in the view of our QB and primary receiver routes. IF YOURE GOING TO DO THAT, TEACH YOUR mother-loving OL to go low and cur the defender down. Letting him stand straight up on those plays leads to INTs and incompleteness, if not sacks. Leary isn't getting any taller.

And FFS please teach our TEs and receivers to not hold on plays where all they need is a chip, cut, or a roll. Our holds were many times after the ball carrier was 4+ yards past being tackled by the defender they held.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT