ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops likes the freshman corners

jnewc2

Senior
Nov 22, 2006
Stoops: I do think it is possible for a true freshman to play at this spot. It is so hard and such a tough position to play but it is the easiest position to teach. If you can cover somebody, we will get the rest taught to you.

"Obviously there are a lot of nuances and you get better over time, but if they can cover they can help us. We have some really good range in these new guys. You need some big guys to defend. I am very pleased. We have great range in class with us right now. They look very impressive and I think are what we need.”

Reactions: woodson991
I like the sound of the younger guys being that talented, but i dont know if i want a true freshman on an island with some of the big time SEC WR's....

I am all for redshirting freshman. I say it over and over. But, if these guys can come in and be equal to what we already have skill wise, I say let them play.

Reactions: jnewc2
People were upset when we lost the Dowell twins, but I really think Westry and Baity are better prospects than they were. Time will be the ultimate judge, but for now, I'm happy.

Reactions: vikingfer
The "easiest position for a t-FR to play" discussion has been around many times. There is no more demanding position on the field than CB but it is literally the easiest position for a t-FR to play IF (really big IF here) the kid has the requisite talent (speed, agility, hip swivel, etc.) to cover people. In todays game, CBs are probably in a straight man cover situation 75% (or more) of the time. If you play a lot of zone, especially pattern match zone, it becomes more difficult. JMO

Peace

Corner is a position that you can out athlete a vet a lot easier. Obviously you will always get better at a position with more experience but corner isn't like offensive line. Corners will not get blown away from a physical standpoint. A freshmen will be more mistake prone but if talented enough they can over come that.

If the Senior CBs do not step it up we could see Freshman CBs getting a lot of playing time this season. There is a lot of tall WRs in the SEC and our Senior CBs are on the short side. Way too often last year those tall WRs just played jump ball with our CBs. A prime example also was UofLs tall WR Parker having a field day against the UK CBs last year and year before last Doren Beckem-Green of Missouri just riddling them.

The tackling by our smallish CB also left something to be desired in run support and was also the cause of some injuries at the positions which really hurt UK because they were very thin at the CB positions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT