ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops future at UK

Cat4life03

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
I've been seeing some fans and some analyst say that this is a make or break year for Stoops & company. How is that even possible? He has been here 2 seasons and has completely changed the energy in this program. I don't care if we only win 4/5 games this year and don't make a bowl. There is absolutely no way he should be anywhere near the hot seat. I feel as though some fans can't remember just how bad this program was a few years ago.

Will Stoops be fired if the Cats fail to make a bowl game this year? Of course not. However, a poor showing this year would certainly bring out the Negative Nannies and Debbie Downers whining about UK's misfortune, etc. In addition, you can bet your next paycheck that a poor showing will have coaches at other programs in our commits' collective ear to persuade them to go elsewhere. In summary, a lot of the feel-good momentum will have dissipated.

A poor showing this year, followed by another one in 2016 would certainly merit Stoops being on the hot seat. Do I think that will happen? NO!

For the record, I think a 6-6 or even 7-5 season is very attainable. Let's sit back and enjoy the ride and let the chips fall where they may.

Reactions: Bigbluediddy63
While he shouldn't be anywhere close to a hot seat, less than 6 wins would be a bit of a disappointment. For that to happen, we'd have to have some key injuries IMO though. We're destined for a bowl this year, and with a little luck, a pretty good bowl.

The majority of what stoops has done so far at UK is pure hype until it translates into winning bowl eligable seasons. If they dont get that done this year then he will be on the hot seat, without a doubt and it will demolish recruiting going forward. But lucky for us , I think the time is now and we get it done.

Have you seen his contract? He will get at least 2 more years (and probably 3 more years) to prove himself even if he weren't successful this season. If he's fired before December 1, 2017 he gets the entirety of his remaining contract. After that until November 30, 2018 he gets 80% and any time after that he gets 60%. That's a lot of money, he has pretty much guaranteed job security at least through the 2018 season.

Reactions: jimmy cowboy
Here's hopin M. Stoops doesn't jump over you (after 10-2) if say N. Saban goes (back) to the NFL just like J. Franklin did to Vanderbilt.
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

Last edited:
Fo the record Stoops is responsible not only for bringing in the most talented recruits we have EVER seen at UK, And when he got here we were at our lowest point talent wis because Joker sole the money that was given to hi. An set on his ass. Stoops in the short time here has raised MILLIONS of dollars to fun four renovation of Commonwealth stadium and he designed the new football facility that will open next summer that costs 45 million only behind Oregon and Tennessee. He raised $28 miliion privately along with Tim Couch and others. He has earned 6 years to get going. He has done more for UK FOOTBALL than anyone believed would be possible. Just ask Coach Brooks or Mitch Barnhart. We should be so lucky to have him. Rome was not built in a da especially when you are surrounded by Ohio State to the north, Penn ST. And West Virginia and Virigingia Tech to the Northeast and East. Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama to the south and let's not forget about South Carolina. You people are so impatient it makes me sick! In 3 years you will be on his bandwagon and hoping that we can keep him. And that is another quality about him! He is LOYAL TO THE CORE! So shut up about it!

Fo the record Stoops is responsible not only for bringing in the most talented recruits we have EVER seen at UK, And when he got here we were at our lowest point talent wis because Joker sole the money that was given to hi. An set on his ass. Stoops in the short time here has raised MILLIONS of dollars to fun four renovation of Commonwealth stadium and he designed the new football facility that will open next summer that costs 45 million only behind Oregon and Tennessee. He raised $28 miliion privately along with Tim Couch and others. He has earned 6 years to get going. He has done more for UK FOOTBALL than anyone believed would be possible. Just ask Coach Brooks or Mitch Barnhart. We should be so lucky to have him. Rome was not built in a da especially when you are surrounded by Ohio State to the north, Penn ST. And West Virginia and Virigingia Tech to the Northeast and East. Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama to the south and let's not forget about South Carolina. You people are so impatient it makes me sick! In 3 years you will be on his bandwagon and hoping that we can keep him. And that is another quality about him! He is LOYAL TO THE CORE! So shut up about it!

Yeah I totally agree. You have to give him 6 years.

The majority of what stoops has done so far at UK is pure hype until it translates into winning bowl eligable seasons. If they dont get that done this year then he will be on the hot seat, without a doubt and it will demolish recruiting going forward. But lucky for us , I think the time is now and we get it done.

Hype??? He went from 2 wins to 5 wins in a year. Could have been 7 (UL & UF) if our CB's didn't drop easy picks. We're not Alabama we cant just throw the football around and win 6 games in the SEC. It takes time to develop a program. Let alone one that was at rock bottom.

3 years with great recruiting and the guys in the vaunted " high performance program" that were already here should be enough for a coaching staff worth their mettle to field a winning season. Lets not forget the horrendous way we finished last year, that may be a reflection on this staffs coaching ability as well as a lack of depth. A great coach will always have his team ready and know whento peak them at the right time and in my opinion get better as the year goes on. I think right now we give coach benefit of the doubt but next year we dont want to see this team fade like they did last year. Obviously I am all for giving a coach 5 years (a chance to have your redshirt recruits be seniors) unless it is a complete dumpster fire like in Joker's tenure, but fans are fickle and they will certainly start to show displeasure if we dont have tangible improvement this year. Thus putting Stoops on a hot seat.

Reactions: Cat4life03
I think the vast, vast majority of UK football fans love the job Stoops has done so far.

In my lifetime, no UK football staff has recruited like this. Stoops has, IMO, a tremendous staff in place. He's killing it on the recruiting trail. Hell, he's already signed an extension.

Stoops isn't on any hot seat. He won't be anytime soon.

GBB!!!

I think the vast, vast majority of UK football fans love the job Stoops has done so far.

In my lifetime, no UK football staff has recruited like this. Stoops has, IMO, a tremendous staff in place. He's killing it on the recruiting trail. Hell, he's already signed an extension.

Stoops isn't on any hot seat. He won't be anytime soon.

GBB!!!

Anything is possible, i really think we will come along, but if tangible results arent made then the recruiting will take a nose dive again and we could easily lose momentum. I dont care what anyone says , the object of football is not recruiting rankings, its winning games. I cant think of one single fan that wouldnt be totally dissapointed if we didnt get a bowl game this year. The preasure will be on if they dont make a bowl game.

Reactions: SlykkteeHMail
3 years with great recruiting and the guys in the vaunted " high performance program" that were already here should be enough for a coaching staff worth their mettle to field a winning season. Lets not forget the horrendous way we finished last year, that may be a reflection on this staffs coaching ability as well as a lack of depth. A great coach will always have his team ready and know whento peak them at the right time and in my opinion get better as the year goes on. I think right now we give coach benefit of the doubt but next year we dont want to see this team fade like they did last year. Obviously I am all for giving a coach 5 years (a chance to have your redshirt recruits be seniors) unless it is a complete dumpster fire like in Joker's tenure, but fans are fickle and they will certainly start to show displeasure if we dont have tangible improvement this year. Thus putting Stoops on a hot seat.

You are really the worst kind of fan. You think you know everything but you literally haven't a clue.

Reactions: jmalone7us
I've been seeing some fans and some analyst say that this is a make or break year for Stoops & company. How is that even possible? He has been here 2 seasons and has completely changed the energy in this program. I don't care if we only win 4/5 games this year and don't make a bowl. There is absolutely no way he should be anywhere near the hot seat. I feel as though some fans can't remember just how bad this program was a few years ago.

I feel 6 wins is a reasonable expectation. 5 or less wins will show that our coaching staff is not that great. I think a good coaching staff can get 6 wins or more this season. I am happy with 6 wins.

I don't know what's so hard to understand about it. You have to give Stoops time to recruit (5 years, minimum) Time to develop his guys. Barnhart understands that better than anyone. Thus, Stoops isn't on the hot seat, isn't anywhere near the hot seat, and unless the wheels fell off (like a 3-9 type season), he won't be in the foreseeable future.

For the first time maybe ever, UK is recruiting at a level that could allow them to compete in the SEC. Anyone that thinks Mitch would risk derailing that based on not going 6-6 and playing in a meaningless bowl game is delusional.

As for last year, UK overachieved IMO. Yeah, they lost six straight to close the season. Three were very competitive games (Missouri, Mississippi State, and Louisville). And keep in mind, that was an extremely young team that had what, two guys drafted?

This is a special time for UK football. Facilities upgrades (finally!!). Much improved recruiting. A more talented football team. And this year, as friendly a schedule as UK will ever get. Can't wait to kick the season off!

GBB!!!

Fan is short for "fanatic"... descriptive words used in the definition are, extreme, excessive, single mindedness.
Many fit the definition and then there are the rest of us who just have gotten used to feeling a little dirty.
I agree with the OP.

Reactions: Cat4life03
The future has more promise than anytime in the Brooks era, everything off the field is pointing to big time success

Reactions: gjcollins79
Why are so many people thinking that if Stoops does really bad this year, or next, that he will be gone. UMMMMM what if he does really good. Dont you think that other teams will be interested in him. Look at what he has done so far with recruiting and the morale of the program. give the guy some credit. He has done some great things in the short time that he has been at UK. Enjoy him while he is at UK.

Reactions: Hankshaker
I don't know what's so hard to understand about it. You have to give Stoops time to recruit (5 years, minimum) Time to develop his guys. Barnhart understands that better than anyone. Thus, Stoops isn't on the hot seat, isn't anywhere near the hot seat, and unless the wheels fell off (like a 3-9 type season), he won't be in the foreseeable future.

For the first time maybe ever, UK is recruiting at a level that could allow them to compete in the SEC. Anyone that thinks Mitch would risk derailing that based on not going 6-6 and playing in a meaningless bowl game is delusional.

As for last year, UK overachieved IMO. Yeah, they lost six straight to close the season. Three were very competitive games (Missouri, Mississippi State, and Louisville). And keep in mind, that was an extremely young team that had what, two guys drafted?

This is a special time for UK football. Facilities upgrades (finally!!). Much improved recruiting. A more talented football team. And this year, as friendly a schedule as UK will ever get. Can't wait to kick the season off!

GBB!!!

I agree UKErik, but wouldn't you agree that 6 wins is not expecting too much this season? Just with marginal improvement, I think the team can get to 6 wins. I have a conservative approach like you do...I don't see near 8 wins this season like some of our delusional fans, but I feel another 5 win season will really slow down our recruiting and momentum.

While he shouldn't be anywhere close to a hot seat, less than 6 wins would be a bit of a disappointment. For that to happen, we'd have to have some key injuries IMO though. We're destined for a bowl this year, and with a little luck, a pretty good bowl.

I agree. I love the energy......the renewed expectations.......the mindset Stoops is instilling in the program.....the recruiting.....the support from all around. Everything looks good.

However, Stoops is 7-17 as a head coach. It's possible that he's not that good of a coach....so, I can see where outsiders who don't see the attributes I mentioned above can be critical of Stoops. So, if they write that this is a "make or break" year for Stoops it doesn't bother me.

I think it's a moot point anyway. I think we make a bowl next yr.....maybe even a decent one. And the arrow continues to point North. Then, I think by this time next yr writers will be printing articles talking about how great Stoops is and what big time program is going to sweep in and steal him away.

Reactions: TriangleUKCat
i uh smell a troll.

Expecting wins isn't trolling. Trolling is the loser mentality when you are fine with mediocrity and all the year in and year out excuses that go with it. "We're building for the future" "Give Joker 8 years" , time and time again we hear the hype from you blowhards and it always turns out the same. For us to be a legit program, we have to expect to win and even Stoops has embraced these expectations. Step away from your man crush for Coach Stoops and realize that the only thing that matters is wins and losses, and that is what he will be judged on. You call me a troll, but to me, you sound like the troll, saying the guy needs 6 years to make a bowl. That is absurd, we weren't on probation with scholarship restrictions, by year 3 with all the young players that have been playing we should turn the corner and become competitive if the coach and players he has recruited are worth all the hype surrounding them. Also this gives 3 years for the much hyped "high performance" program to develop players that are already here (4th year jr.s and seniors). By year 4 the program should be turned around. This is not the same scenario as when Brooks was here. Of course Joker that morons with the same attitude as you wanted to give a lifetime contract to because he was "really recruiting well" and "building for the future" left it a mess, there where no restrictions from probation and from all the media and fans such as yourself he was bringing in phenomenal classes. I'm not saying it doesn't take time to build a program but the really great coaches make things happen and screw all the excuses. If Stoops is destined to live up to the hype and be a great coach, it has to show this year. Otherwise Brooks like success is all I will ever expect, and IMO that is not the level he was brought in for. We are here to compete for the SEC title. This year has to be the year to go to a bowl to keep the "momentum" going, we can't afford another dumpster fire like the last 6 games of the year. The excuses worked this time and I don't disagree with alot of them, but that won't hold up this year.

Last edited:
The future has more promise than anytime in the Brooks era, everything off the field is pointing to big time success

Had you not said it, I was going to. There is so much that can go good with this program.
I am excited for the future and Stoops!

Why are so many people thinking that if Stoops does really bad this year, or next, that he will be gone. UMMMMM what if he does really good. Dont you think that other teams will be interested in him. Look at what he has done so far with recruiting and the morale of the program. give the guy some credit. He has done some great things in the short time that he has been at UK. Enjoy him while he is at UK.

I don't necessarily think he is gone even when he is wildly successful here. While Kentucky hasn't really cared about football in several decades, Kentucky isn't Louisvillle. If Kentucky is willing to pony up the cash (and they will be once they see the success and the money it brings), then I don't see Stoops leaving.

no, 61 messages in 4 years defines a troll, especially when you come on here talking crap about MY team.

yeah, ugly nonparagraph formatted diatribe confirms flaming trolling status. Ignored status: engaged

Reactions: brianpoe
IMO, we won't make it to a bowl this year, but that does not mean Stoops has not made significant progress. In fact, if I had to bet my house on total wins, I'd say 4. Even if that happens Stoops seat isn't even lukewarm. He's built enough equity to this point to merit a contract extension. I think we're still one year away. '17 will be a great year for us.

Expecting wins isn't trolling. Trolling is the loser mentality when you are fine with mediocrity and all the year in and year out excuses that go with it. "We're building for the future" "Give Joker 8 years" , time and time again we hear the hype from you blowhards and it always turns out the same. For us to be a legit program, we have to expect to win and even Stoops has embraced these expectations. Step away from your man crush for Coach Stoops and realize that the only thing that matters is wins and losses, and that is what he will be judged on. You call me a troll, but to me, you sound like the troll, saying the guy needs 6 years to make a bowl. That is absurd, we weren't on probation with scholarship restrictions, by year 3 with all the young players that have been playing we should turn the corner and become competitive if the coach and players he has recruited are worth all the hype surrounding them. Also this gives 3 years for the much hyped "high performance" program to develop players that are already here (4th year jr.s and seniors). By year 4 the program should be turned around. This is not the same scenario as when Brooks was here. Of course Joker that morons with the same attitude as you wanted to give a lifetime contract to because he was "really recruiting well" and "building for the future" left it a mess, there where no restrictions from probation and from all the media and fans such as yourself he was bringing in phenomenal classes. I'm not saying it doesn't take time to build a program but the really great coaches make things happen and screw all the excuses. If Stoops is destined to live up to the hype and be a great coach, it has to show this year. Otherwise Brooks like success is all I will ever expect, and IMO that is not the level he was brought in for. We are here to compete for the SEC title. This year has to be the year to go to a bowl to keep the "momentum" going, we can't afford another dumpster fire like the last 6 games of the year. The excuses worked this time and I don't disagree with alot of them, but that won't hold up this year.
Who was saying give Joker 8 years???

You can only hope that he leaves. I have heard him on many occasions say that knowing him and his family that "loyalty" is a big part of who he is. He will go down as the longest tenured coach this football program has ever had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT