ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops did the right thing two years ago... time to do it again?

Yeah, the Ole Miss game, next to last drive we had 3rd & short....ran a simple read option, Levis kept it instead of handing to Rodriguez. Took a Reb tackler on instead of just getting the 1st down. defender put helmet on ball, fumble forced, great chance to tie or take the lead late in the 4th gone.

Think we all know how the last drive ended next.

Yes. It ended with the QB not climbing the pocket and allowing a strip sack that ended the game. That was just after the QB snapped the ball too soon costing us a TD that almost surely wins the game.

For Levis, this season went downhill quick after that game. Rest of our offense went with it.

The worst hire we could of made was to bring in a guy to ruin Levis and we did just that. If Levis had a big season then our QB recruiting could of been set for a decade. Instead we bring in a guy that calls plays to either throw it behind the line of scrimmage or 20 yards down the field. The 20 yard stuff doesn't work because the line is poor. To make matters worse we bring in his buddy to coach O-line who was at the point of being a high school assistant just four years ago. The guys claim to fame was coaching o-line at Kansas during a 3-33 stretch.

Then explain why Stoops has hired UK's last two OCs directly from the NFL. Your comment doesn't stand up to the facts, but I get it that facts generally don't change minds on this board.

Stoops is adapting. Anyone who will not acknowledge that is fishing for reasons to cling to past narratives. It may not always go smoothly, but he has earned our trust.
He hired NFL people hoping that it would help with recruiting. Coen was going to be a superstar because he was young and could adapt to the college game. The current guy is an NFL journeyman that crapped the bed when he got his shot in Denver. In all fairness though, not many people can do well offensively in Stoops ball control offense.

Reactions: bigbluedon
The worst hire we could of made was to bring in a guy to ruin Levis and we did just that. If Levis had a big season then our QB recruiting could of been set for a decade. Instead we bring in a guy that calls plays to either throw it behind the line of scrimmage or 20 yards down the field. The 20 yard stuff doesn't work because the line is poor. To make matters worse we bring in his buddy to coach O-line who was at the point of being a high school assistant just four years ago. The guys claim to fame was coaching o-line at Kansas during a 3-33 stretch.

Coen hired yenser. Sorry to ruin your multi thread continuous negative narrative. Coen then left and we hired scang.

It's super hard to break into the NFL coaching ranks. Just look at all the Sunday talking heads today irate the colts hired Jeff Saturday. It's a small circle. Anyone breaking through in any way is someone of exceptional talent.

The issue with yenser is he's married to wide zone. That's literally his scheme and that's what he wants to coach. For the second season, it didn't work here. We went away from it which means he's probably gone. Doesn't mean he's a bad coach. Means he's a bad fit for right now.

The OC you continuously bang on has Levis in position to be considered as #1 overall. Last year he was 3rd or 4th round. He hasn't ruined him. Our entire offense is built around protecting him but not having him run and developing his ability to play QB by having him make actual reads. He's greatly benefitted by the hire far more than anyone else at the cost of our offensive production and season.

Wrs came here to get NFL level coaching. They're getting that. Woody is one of the best and we must keep him at all costs.

Levis was the problem all season and it's gone downhill since ole miss when he gave the game away. I pointed out his deficiencies last year and this year; and slowly people started seeing it too.

Carry on continuing to post in every thread the same thing over and over.

Reactions: BigTyrone
Coach Stoops made the bold move to hire Liam Coen two years ago. After this season he probably needs to do the right thing again - and hire some other new coaches. Because of his good hiring in the past, Coach Stoops has had to replace good coaches. He has done an over all good job. But, he is human and he hires humans - so sometimes they all don't work out the way we expect. I think we may have a really good OC on staff right now - maybe as good of one as you can get - but the perception now is he is not the right guy. His resume from the past indicates he can get the job done - he did it before and was very successful! But his image is tarnished - and it may be very hard to make it work because of that image.

Coach Stoops and this coach are very good coaches, men and very honorable and great for the program. Probably the only way to keep this coach and make it work out correctly would be to do the unthinkable to most people - make the change today! The only way for people to see this is the right coach is to make it now so the players, the fans and the recruits and players of the future can see this guy can coach a fun, exciting and winning offense that wins games! Yes, I am talking about Eddie Gran as our offensive Co-ordinator!

Before you go crazy - why did we change from Eddie? It was perception and he was doing exactly what Coach Stoops asked of him. We needed an image change at the time. Now, forget about Eddie Gran's style from the past at UK, look at the Eddie Gran OC who ran the Cincinnati offense before he came to UK. It was an evenly balanced exciting passing attack! Eddie changed to mesh with the concepts of Coach Stoops. Eddie has stayed loyal and has watched Liam Coen and now Rich Sangarello as well. Eddie has been a very successful OC - and he could have even greater success here again. Remember, Eddie Gran also was the OC that was here for Coach Stoops first 10 win season! Make the change now - with 3 games and a bowl game left. Let everyone see what Eddie can do as an OC with the QB, the receivers and the running backs we have now! Those 4 games could make a very smooth transition for the future!

Finally, here is some info that most people don't know or remember. When Eddie was OC at Cincinnati it has a very exciting passing attack. His offenses finished 47, 25 and 11th in the country his three years at UC! Look at our offense this year - where is it? 100th??? They attacked primarily from the shotgun and passed the ball all over the field! Eddie changed his attack to match what Coach Stoops wanted at the time and matched the team's idenity and personnel. He coached under some coaching legends as well. He has been a coach at Florida State, Auburn, Tennessee and Cincinnati and UK. He was successful everywhere he has been. Eddie is still only 57 years old. He loves UK and Lexington. He seems like the right guy at the right time at the right place.........

Go Big Blue!
Good heavens, next you are going to suggest that the TEN years with ZERO improvements to our football facilities had something to do with the five years with no bowl games?

Then explain why Stoops has hired UK's last two OCs directly from the NFL. Your comment doesn't stand up to the facts, but I get it that facts generally don't change minds on this board.

Stoops is adapting. Anyone who will not acknowledge that is fishing for reasons to cling to past narratives. It may not always go smoothly, but he has earned our trust.
Agreed people just rant like temper tantrum when things go bad

Stoops Has hired two air raid coordinator, I’d call Eddie gran a spread read option coordinater and now two NFL guys. One of which is Iowa offense under ferentz

Stoops is at the mercy of having a good coordinator on offense. So in the end…he needs to get this one right

Reactions: BigTyrone
Agreed people just rant like temper tantrum when things go bad

Stoops Has hired two air raid coordinator, I’d call Eddie gran a spread read option coordinater and now two NFL guys. One of which is Iowa offense under ferentz

Stoops is at the mercy of having a good coordinator on offense. So in the end…he needs to get this one right
He's 1 for 10 in getting it right. I'm not expecting much.

He's 1 for 10 in getting it right. I'm not expecting much.
Well technically he’s hired only five and I’d argue Brown was not “getting it wrong “ he left after two years into a rebuild

Dawson and Scangerello are 100% getting it wrong. Gran was decent IMO…until he bottoms out bjs last year

Stoops is a poor offense side head coach…I’m not going to leave blame totally off of him. But hes done a ton right and I’m fine giving him another shot at offense staff. This time is like for UK to throw around huge money and take staff from another success team. Seems like Scangerello snd yenser we’re cheap hired

Well technically he’s hired only five and I’d argue Brown was not “getting it wrong “ he left after two years into a rebuild

Dawson and Scangerello are 100% getting it wrong. Gran was decent IMO…until he bottoms out bjs last year

Stoops is a poor offense side head coach…I’m not going to leave blame totally off of him. But hes done a ton right and I’m fine giving him another shot at offense staff. This time is like for UK to throw around huge money and take staff from another success team. Seems like Scangerello snd yenser we’re cheap hired
Brown wasn't setting records with his offense. But to be fair, didn't have much to work with.

I ain't saying fire him. I'm saying he ain't gonna change.

The worst hire we could have made was to bring in a guy to ruin Levis and we did just that. If Levis had a big season then our QB recruiting could have been set for a decade. Instead we bring in a guy that calls plays to either throw it behind the line of scrimmage or 20 yards down the field. The 20 yard stuff doesn't work because the line is poor. To make matters worse we bring in his buddy to coach O-line who was at the point of being a high school assistant just four years ago. The guys claim to fame was coaching o-line at Kansas during a 3-33 stretch.
Agreed, what ever happened to a 5-10 yard pass. The only time I’ve see Scang call a 5 yard pass is when it’s 3rd and 7.

Brown wasn't setting records with his offense. But to be fair, didn't have much to work with.

I ain't saying fire him. I'm saying he ain't gonna change.

He's done nothing since either. His version of offense is beyond it's prime.

The real thing stoops needs to do is stop meddling. If you listen to his comments, he is absolutely behind the notion of run on first and second and hope to pick up third. Last week someone specifically asked him why not throw more on first, and he said something to the effect of "if it's incomplete, now you're in second and long".

While true, if you constantly run on first you're just as likely to be in second and long. It's a Hallmark and a sure sign stoops is strongly meddling

Reactions: Cawood86 and K_TIME

The real thing stoops needs to do is stop meddling. If you listen to his comments, he is absolutely behind the notion of run on first and second and hope to pick up third. Last week someone specifically asked him why not throw more on first, and he said something to the effect of "if it's incomplete, now you're in second and long".

While true, if you constantly run on first you're just as likely to be in second and long. It's a Hallmark and a sure sign stoops is strongly meddling
Not surprising. It's why nothing will change on offense no matter who the OC will be

Last edited:
Reactions: bigblueinsanity

You have to ask yourself if that isn't sound logic though. You have to mix it up regardless but leaning heavier on the run on 1st seems logical to me. The thing that this OLine has been flat awful at is PP. 2nd and Long, 3rd and long, I would argue, gives the opposing defense more advantage than knowing a run is coming on first down. It's a miserable situation to be in right now but he probably has that one right.

I will say though, the OLine did play better in spurts for the Vandy game. Hopefully that trend continues.

You have to ask yourself if that isn't sound logic though. You have to mix it up regardless but leaning heavier on the run on 1st seems logical to me. The thing that this OLine has been flat awful at is PP. 2nd and Long, 3rd and long, I would argue, gives the opposing defense more advantage than knowing a run is coming on first down. It's a miserable situation to be in right now but he probably has that one right.

I will say though, the OLine did play better in spurts for the Vandy game. Hopefully that trend continues.

It isn't sound logic at all. It's playing Uber conservative. With the current state of the ol you cannot be so predictable.

The ol hasnt been nearly as bad in pp as people say. I posted enough about that over the season.

It isn't sound logic at all. It's playing Uber conservative. With the current state of the ol you cannot be so predictable.

The ol hasnt been nearly as bad in pp as people say. I posted enough about that over the season.
Agree in general, when talking football. It's easy for me to see why Stoops feels that way. They've been bad, sure, you can go back and pick out play and say, look Levis had time on that one. You can pick out a whole lot more where we turned someone loose. Couple what I said earlier about understanding that logic, with limited possessions the offense is getting and it makes it even easier to see why Stoops feels that way.

yes, they run a pro-offense, but they also burn 30 to 35 seconds
on every snap to shorten the game. even when down in the fourth
qt. And that is 100% Stoops

Reactions: cathouse
Coen hired yenser. Sorry to ruin your multi thread continuous negative narrative. Coen then left and we hired scang.

It's super hard to break into the NFL coaching ranks. Just look at all the Sunday talking heads today irate the colts hired Jeff Saturday. It's a small circle. Anyone breaking through in any way is someone of exceptional talent.

The issue with yenser is he's married to wide zone. That's literally his scheme and that's what he wants to coach. For the second season, it didn't work here. We went away from it which means he's probably gone. Doesn't mean he's a bad coach. Means he's a bad fit for right now.

The OC you continuously bang on has Levis in position to be considered as #1 overall. Last year he was 3rd or 4th round. He hasn't ruined him. Our entire offense is built around protecting him but not having him run and developing his ability to play QB by having him make actual reads. He's greatly benefitted by the hire far more than anyone else at the cost of our offensive production and season.

Wrs came here to get NFL level coaching. They're getting that. Woody is one of the best and we must keep him at all costs.

Levis was the problem all season and it's gone downhill since ole miss when he gave the game away. I pointed out his deficiencies last year and this year; and slowly people started seeing it too.

Carry on continuing to post in every thread the same thing over and over.
Coen set in on the interviews, but he was already on his way out the door.
but I agree Levis deficiencies have hurt the passing going back to last year.

Reactions: bigbluedon
What most people forget is that after one year you can look at multiple things people didn’t look for 20 years ago that made their jobs safe. Style of play, willingness to adapt mid season and even at halftime if need be. And most importantly analytics.

I knew within the first half of the season scangarello was never going to be the guy as OC. Doesn’t matter if you gave him 10 years, that offense wasn’t going to change. It was exactly the same with Gran. It’s also the same with Stoops in the fact that he will never win the SEC. Probably not even the East no matter how long he stays. If you’re okay with 10 win seasons because of weak scheduling being the ceiling, then hats off to you. Maybe the 12 team playoff will allow us to get lucky but even if it does it’ll only happen once a decade and I ain’t got that many decades of living left

Yeah I’ll never understand the hire. I get keeping the continuity of the offense style but his track record with QBs and Offenses have been abysmal. Was a MAJOR risk getting him involved w Levis

Northern Arizona before NFL

2017-2018 Jimmy G SF QB coach

2019 Lock/Flacco - Both looked horrible, Broncos lowest passing TDs in the league. Got fired as OC

2020 Wentz/Hurd - Both were terrible for the Eagles. Most sacks in league, worst yards per pass. Got fired as well.

2021 - Jimmy G/Lance Ware - speaks for itself.

2022 - Levis 😭 and UK offense? rinse and repeat

He literally kills QBs and any offense he has ran has been bottom of the barrel in almost every metric.

I’ll never understand this hire. I hear he’s a nice guy though.

Reactions: Girthang
My concern is the thought process I'm hearing. It seems to be one of two extremes and only those two. We don't have to be either "plodding and taking shots downfield" or "uptempo balls-to-the-wall" only. We can play complimentary and successful football without it being that extreme.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT