ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops and his Recruiting Efforts!

cardstud1

Senior
Jul 23, 2006
I am very impressed with his O-Linemen recruits/Athletes. I see where most of his 4-star recruits are rolling up and starting. Especially with his 2014 efforts...10 4-stars wow! He has several very talented Defensive recruits that are now starting with experience. If all those O-Linemen produce and keep Towles jersey clean and his mobility this year I see major improvement and a good bowl game. Looks like a 7-5 season or better!

I am very impressed with his O-Linemen recruits/Athletes. I see where most of his 4-star recruits are rolling up and starting. Especially with his 2014 efforts...10 4-stars wow! He has several very talented Defensive recruits that are now starting with experience. If all those O-Linemen produce and keep Towles jersey clean and his mobility this year I see major improvement and a good bowl game. Looks like a 7-5 season or better!

Beware Cards being nice....

Recruiting across the board is improving. The OL he is brining in is the best I have seen. Most are coming in already at SEC OL size. The fact that most of them are able to RS and focus on skill/technique is very good. Just think how good the line will be when Stoops players are 5th year SR and 4th year JR.

Recruiting across the board is improving. The OL he is brining in is the best I have seen. Most are coming in already at SEC OL size. The fact that most of them are able to RS and focus on skill/technique is very good. Just think how good the line will be when Stoops players are 5th year SR and 4th year JR.

A person has to be blind and ignorant not to see the recruiting efforts he has made. I think if he id any kind of a coach, and he is, this year improvements will show. While at FSU he was a terrific coach and should be here at UK as well. O-Line and Def. is where it is won and lost and when you look back you notice ,or should all the 4-star O-Linemen he has recruited. He also knows he is in the SEC and there are many mines one can trip over. UK was on an up-tick until mid year and then the slide. Reasoning says Beat up battles in the SEC. UKs troops are as good as anybody in the land 1st string, depth is really needed in the SEC and he is getting that. Be patient it is scary and coming.

Reactions: jmalone7us
The depth we're finally building is very exciting. These big uglies being able to RS and spend a year focusing on the weight room and conditioning.... Stoops gets it.

Winning recruiting battles is great, but winning on the field is all that matters. This staff crapped the bed the second half of last year, and had some embarrassing losses. The wheels came off and they were unable to put them back on. So until they prove that they can actually beat someone they're not supposed to, the jury is still out.

We lost a 1st round draft pick that is arguably the best defensive player we've had in over a decade. We lost another 4th rounder that was very solid. We lost our starting Safety. Our OL wasnt very good last year and still is a question mark. And Towles played mediocre at best the second half of last season.

7 wins? I don't see it. I think 4-5 wins is more realistic.

vs ULL (win)
@ South Carolina (loss)
Florida (loss)
Missouri (loss)
EKU (win)
Auburn (loss)
@ MSU (toss up...win)
UT (loss)
@ UGA (loss)
@ Vandy (win)
Charlotte (win)
UL (loss)

Winning recruiting battles is great, but winning on the field is all that matters. This staff crapped the bed the second half of last year, and had some embarrassing losses. The wheels came off and they were unable to put them back on. So until they prove that they can actually beat someone they're not supposed to, the jury is still out.

We lost a 1st round draft pick that is arguably the best defensive player we've had in over a decade. We lost another 4th rounder that was very solid. We lost our starting Safety. Our OL wasnt very good last year and still is a question mark. And Towles played mediocre at best the second half of last season.

vs ULL (win)
@ South Carolina (loss)
Florida (loss)
Missouri (loss)
EKU (win)
Auburn (loss)
@ MSU (toss up...win)
UT (loss)
@ UGA (loss)
@ Vandy (win)
Charlotte (win)
UL (loss)

Your post makes sense except I predict 6 wins this season. We have to beat UL for the 6th win or the wheels will come off this rebuilding project by Stoops.

If this team can't win at least 6 this year then this recruiting class will fall apart. It is not an option for the future of Stoops and his staff at Kentucky to miss a bowl game. I don't think they would get fired, nor should they, but you will have a hard time winning in the future with lesser recruits.

If this team can't win at least 6 this year then this recruiting class will fall apart. It is not an option for the future of Stoops and his staff at Kentucky to miss a bowl game. I don't think they would get fired, nor should they, but you will have a hard time winning in the future with lesser recruits.

I don't see the wheels coming off. You are in the SEC which has those hidden mine-fields of course! Stoops has laid the base in recruiting O-Linemen and good quality ones! He has been climbing out of a hole Phillips dug into! Towles now has a line to operate behind and now needs experienced Wrs. Stoops has very good running backs. Only question is a quality OC! Stoops is very adept at Def., but not Offense. Stability is needed on the coaching front. Would have been better to keep N Brown though. But being what it is let's see what new OC does!

I don't see the wheels coming off. You are in the SEC which has those hidden mine-fields of course! Stoops has laid the base in recruiting O-Linemen and good quality ones! He has been climbing out of a hole Phillips dug into! Towles now has a line to operate behind and now needs experienced Wrs. Stoops has very good running backs. Only question is a quality OC! Stoops is very adept at Def., but not Offense. Stability is needed on the coaching front. Would have been better to keep N Brown though. But being what it is let's see what new OC does!

You saw what happened in recruiting last year after the 6 straight losses and it will happen again if this team isnt playing a bowl game.

If memory serves, we weren't supposed to beat South Carolina last year.

^ ^ ^ ^ ditto. And an close overtime with UF!! Recovering from Phillips hurt Stoops and takes time. And it begins with the O-Line and defense! Had it not been for ULs defense UL would have been in worlds of hurt. Our O-Line sucked and is still very questionable in 2015! O-Line allowed 2 QBs to get hurt during the season. O-Lines take time to develop and Stoops is going into his 3 year. Go back and look over his recruiting again.

Reactions: skcatfan
Is he a UL fan or just very good at playing poker?? Card stud...Cards tud....card(s)tud?o_O
No he's a tard

New

There are press releases out there if you want to look for them. As I understand, the game's at LPT in 2016 and at USM in 2017.

I applaud LPT for scheduling a road OOC opponent besides U of L, and against a legit program historically. In most years, Southern Miss would have dismantled LPT in football. But they're on harder times, and we can only hope that they get things back on track in time for the game in 2016.

Before we give LPT too much credit, though, understand that they probably had to scramble to find an opponent when UAB (temporarily) shut down its football program. My guess is it won't derail the LPT game plan of trying to schedule easy OOC wins to make a bottom-rung bowl game every decade or so.

LPT Football: We're really mad at Alabama-Birmingham...
Zipp, ditto the USM former days!I hope UaKay gets the in poring down sloopy rain!
If memory serves, we weren't supposed to beat South Carolina last year.
[thumb2]

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
A person has to be blind and ignorant not to see the recruiting efforts he has made. I think if he id any kind of a coach, and he is, this year improvements will show. While at FSU he was a terrific coach and should be here at UK as well. O-Line and Def. is where it is won and lost and when you look back you notice ,or should all the 4-star O-Linemen he has recruited. He also knows he is in the SEC and there are many mines one can trip over. UK was on an up-tick until mid year and then the slide. Reasoning says Beat up battles in the SEC. UKs troops are as good as anybody in the land 1st string, depth is really needed in the SEC and he is getting that. Be patient it is scary and coming.

Thanks for the nice remarks, very few ul fans can be nice over here.

Stoops has done a very good job of recruiting at UK, he has had some major obstacles to overcome. The not so bright tradition of the football program but the biggest is the state just doesn't have the population to produce the number of talented P5 kids needed to get and keep a program competitive. Add that to the traditon or lack of and its a tough sell, I agree getting to a bowl is a big deal this year in that it shows signs of progress being made, he can't sell playing time anymore because almost every UK playing in 16 will be his guys. UK will always have a hard time recruiting at the level of LSU, A&M, UF and UGA because of the number of instate kids available to those schools, nor Bama because of their nationwide name, much like UK basketball, never really out of it for any kid until they sign elsewhere. Stoops has to recruit kids who fit his systems, late bloomers and use Redshirts much like Missouri and Mississippi State, other programs that don't recruit on the level of the schools I mentioned. He is building to that, his RS will be sophs in eligibility this fall, it may take another year or even 2 until they are 5th year Sr. to see real results of his plan, but winning 6-7 games and maybe another are certainly possible, maybe likely. But the first game is huge, ULL isn't like many other schools who come in to get their tails kicked and claim a check, they win a lot and will be coming expecting to win and they know how to win games. UK has to be ready for that and not be expecting an Ohio to show up. To get to a bowl that has to be a win, the other wins will come from this group, USC, UF, MSST, UL and Vandy. Many here think Missouri is going to be down, but Pinkel has been running the plan Stoops is trying to get going for quite a few years, he has RS Jr. ready to step in and play, I might be wrong but I don't see them dropping like many here are expecting. I think UT, UGA and AU still have a pretty big talent gap. UK has to be ready for ULL and win 3 of these to get to a bowl, USC, UF, MSST, UL and Vandy. I think the others are very likely wins or losses, not tossups.

Cardstud isn't being nice. He's leading you all around by the nose and laughing at you.

vs ULL (win)
@ South Carolina (loss)
Florida (loss)
Missouri (loss)
EKU (win)
Auburn (loss)
@ MSU (toss up...win)
UT (loss)
@ UGA (loss)
@ Vandy (win)
Charlotte (win)
UL (loss)

Not so fast. Woodyard, Trevathon and Williamson say hello. Lets wait to see what ol' Dupree does on the field, and I hope it is great things in the NFL.

Thanks for the nice remarks, very few ul fans can be nice over here.

Thanx Poetax! I'm just a Cardnal fan who is still a KY fan and after we play want to see UK WIN every game. There are many Cards like me in favor of UK. UK is the State school representing all of KY. I graduated from UL and represent UL now.
Cardstud isn't being nice. He's leading you all around by the nose and laughing at you.

Just stating facts! Lindy's Southeastern Sports confirms my analysis. The other mags. are staying mum waiting to see what transpires in 2015. Stoops has prepared very well on the recruiting front. He did well as the FSU DC while there, and reason to see his efforts bloom at UK as well. But he is in the SEC and he knows it and wouldn't have jeopardized his career coming here if he couldn't see success! He came here to you in a heck of a hole and Barnhart is giving him time to correct that mess and it was...! Many Card fans support UK. I

Not sure what he has to gain by pointing out some very favorable things about our program, at the least much more intelligent than the normal troll on here. If he is trying to make our program look bad he is doing a horrible job of it, and most of his positives on UK are the same things I would point out.

I have no idea what he posts over there but I can't see where he is hurting us with his posts on here..

Not sure what he has to gain by pointing out some very favorable things about our program, at the least much more intelligent than the normal troll on here. If he is trying to make our program look bad he is doing a horrible job of it, and most of his positives on UK are the same things I would point out.

I have no idea what he posts over there but I can't see where he is hurting us with his posts on here..

Go to the Card board and read his post there and you will understand that he is just over here trying to game us. He is in no way a supporter of UK ever. I believe Wildcard actually does support UK other than when they are playing UofL but not him.

Funny thread. Hook line and sinker.

As far as the UL game goes what beat UK last year was UK's D. Made no adjustments to stop Bolin from throwing all over the field and having the game of his life.
Had a cb get hit in the chest with the ball and did not intercept it HUGE!!
We squandered away 2 wins we should of had. Fl and UL.

Last edited:
Good lord, the stupid is everywhere.

vs ULL (win)
@ South Carolina (loss)
Florida (loss)
Missouri (loss)
EKU (win)
Auburn (loss)
@ MSU (toss up...win)
UT (loss)
@ UGA (loss)
@ Vandy (win)
Charlotte (win)
UL (loss)

It starts with you. Consider that Stoops has already said that UK has gotten better defensively, despite losing Dupree and Smith. Consider also that last season, the very starting Safety that you're talking about wouldn't have started over Darius West (a true freshman). The only weak position that UK currently has are the two CB's, and we're bringing in a class full of very talented, long, athletic CB's, so I wouldn't even be remotely shocked if the CB's get replaced if their play isn't cleaned up. The coaches say we're significantly better, but you? Nah, you (in your incredibly professional opinion, I imagine) think the staff is blowing smoke, and UK has remained stagnant, regardless of the fact that redshirts are coming off of the best recruiting class in the school's history, we've been bringing in a ton of significantly better talent than what we're used to, we have the most advanced S&C program in the country, and a lot of energy coming into next season. 7-8 wins. I may miss on a prediction, possibly 2, but this is what I realistically see.

vs ULL - win
@ South Carolina - toss up (Jadaveon Clowney isn't walking through that door, and as of this spring, they still have the same defensive issues, and more offensive issues, but it'll be tough)
Florida - win (they lost seven offensive players, and the best player in the SEC on defense, they needed a minor miracle to beat us at their place last season, we're at home now, get real)
Missouri - win ("those who win in November will be remembered" -Gary Pinkel. They lose all of their receivers, their best defensive playmakers, we're at home, they suck early in the season)
EKU - win
Auburn - loss (unless we put up similar numbers to what we put up against Muschamp's defense last season, which is possible, I admittedly don't see it happening)
@ MSU - toss up (One of the few things we agree on. They lost 18 starters, and barely won last year)
UT - loss (they may win the SEC East next season)
@ UGA - loss (or they may win the SEC East next season)
@ Vandy - win
Charlotte - win
UofL - win (losing the number of players that they lose, including the only reason they won. Needing a minor miracle at home to win, and us being at home this season? Yeah, win.)

Thanx Poetax! I'm just a Cardnal fan who is still a KY fan and after we play want to see UK WIN every game. There are many Cards like me in favor of UK. UK is the State school representing all of KY. I graduated from UL and represent UL now.

Just stating facts! Lindy's Southeastern Sports confirms my analysis. The other mags. are staying mum waiting to see what transpires in 2015. Stoops has prepared very well on the recruiting front. He did well as the FSU DC while there, and reason to see his efforts bloom at UK as well. But he is in the SEC and he knows it and wouldn't have jeopardized his career coming here if he couldn't see success! He came here to you in a heck of a hole and Barnhart is giving him time to correct that mess and it was...! Many Card fans support UK.

And then there's you. I don't need to tell you how stupid you are, Zipp. It goes without saying. Really, it does. Apparently infectious. You've contaminated a hefty majority of your own forum with your ignorance. Take that s*** out of here, you're starting to poison some people here as well.

Good lord, the stupid is everywhere.

It starts with you. Consider that Stoops has already said that UK has gotten better defensively, despite losing Dupree and Smith. Consider also that last season, the very starting Safety that you're talking about wouldn't have started over Darius West (a true freshman). The only weak position that UK currently has are the two CB's, and we're bringing in a class full of very talented, long, athletic CB's, so I wouldn't even be remotely shocked if the CB's get replaced if their play isn't cleaned up. The coaches say we're significantly better, but you? Nah, you (in your incredibly professional opinion, I imagine) think the staff is blowing smoke, and UK has remained stagnant, regardless of the fact that redshirts are coming off of the best recruiting class in the school's history, we've been bringing in a ton of significantly better talent than what we're used to, we have the most advanced S&C program in the country, and a lot of energy coming into next season. 7-8 wins. I may miss on a prediction, possibly 2, but this is what I realistically see.

vs ULL - win
@ South Carolina - toss up (Jadaveon Clowney isn't walking through that door, and as of this spring, they still have the same defensive issues, and more offensive issues, but it'll be tough)
Florida - win (they lost seven offensive players, and the best player in the SEC on defense, they needed a minor miracle to beat us at their place last season, we're at home now, get real)
Missouri - win ("those who win in November will be remembered" -Gary Pinkel. They lose all of their receivers, their best defensive playmakers, we're at home, they suck early in the season)
EKU - win
Auburn - loss (unless we put up similar numbers to what we put up against Muschamp's defense last season, which is possible, I admittedly don't see it happening)
@ MSU - toss up (One of the few things we agree on. They lost 18 starters, and barely won last year)
UT - loss (they may win the SEC East next season)
@ UGA - loss (or they may win the SEC East next season)
@ Vandy - win
Charlotte - win
UofL - win (losing the number of players that they lose, including the only reason they won. Needing a minor miracle at home to win, and us being at home this season? Yeah, win.)

Let's bump this at the end of the season. 7-8 wins is a pipe dream.

Let's bump this at the end of the season. 7-8 wins is a pipe dream.
Pipe dream is the wrong way to look at it. Some teams, some seasons, capitalize on every opportunity. Our 1984 and 2002 teams sort of fell into that category. We have had some better teams that did not always take advantage of their opportunities, like 2007, 2009, 2010. There are 7-8 wins on our 2015 schedule if our best players stay healthy and our team takes advantage of its opportunities. This means winning winnable games against Missouri, Florida, Louisville in Lexington and handling Vandy in Nashville. It is doable. These would not be significant upsets, except in the sense that Kentucky has to snap its long Florida losing streak. Some of our fans won't think like winners until it feels easy to do it.

Not really. We were 2 dropped interceptions away from winning 7 games last season, so why would it be a pipe dream to win 7 games next year?
^ ^ ^ ^ And they were very close loses. True, UK is losing 2 very good NFL'rs, but year 2014 recruits are set to make an impact. Hatcher on Def., and behind a very good developing O-Line Towles is very mobile and emerging passer. He will have more time to operate. Defense will be the concern.

Last edited:
Stoops will need 5-6 years to make us competitive. Needs redshirt jr/sr lineman,and backups coming on,to be where we want to be as a program,similar to Mizzou !

Stoops will need 5-6 years to make us competitive. Needs redshirt jr/sr lineman,and backups coming on,to be where we want to be as a program,similar to Mizzou !
I don't think Stoops needs 5-6 years to make us competitive. Depends on your idea of being competitive. We will be very competitive in 2015. But he might need 5-6 years to take our program to the 9-10 win level.

Reactions: Bigbluediddy63
Every year you win and lose some "toss up" games.
Then fans say "we were two plays away..."
That's why they are "toss ups".... you will win some and lose some. Very rarely do you lose all the toss ups (coach will get fired) or win them all (coach moves up food chain)

Every year you win and lose some "toss up" games.
Then fans say "we were two plays away..."
That's why they are "toss ups".... you will win some and lose some. Very rarely do you lose all the toss ups (coach will get fired) or win them all (coach moves up food chain)
This is true, but the best coaches win more than their share. The top coaches recruit above their level, and sign more of the top players in toss up recruiting situations. Even after the rough recruiting road in 2015, I strongly believe Stoops is winning more than his share of uphill recruiting situations. Losing Damien Harris can't convince me otherwise when we are pulling in guys like Za'Darius, Boom, Denzil, Horton, Barker, GAA, Brown, Conrad, Greenwood, Drake, Landon, so forth. Then the top coaches develop their players and put them in positions to win games. Then they scout their opponents' weaknesses and make the necessary decisions during games to win more of their share. No coach wins them all, but the best win more often than not. Before Stoops came to Kentucky, he was a top coordinator who had no experience as a head coach. But it is in his blood. Stoops has surrounded himself with a young staff that recruits like crazy. Stoops and his coaches are maturing together. I think he has a chance to become a great 1, but he will need another couple of years to build Kentucky's roster to a level that can compete physically with the top SEC teams.

ADVERTISEMENT