ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops’ statement

The “right now” addition might as well have been bolded and underlined. It stood out. Weird situation all around. Wouldn’t mind him leaving, but don’t necessarily mind him staying either (…although it feels a lot like a dude that stepped out on his wife trying to get a hotter chick and then when he realized he wasn’t that guy, came back home). If I had any faith at all in Barnhart, I’d have been fine rolling the dice on a hire and seeing what landed.

I for one am not scandalized and outraged Mark Stoops isn't pledging to die on the UK sidelines. That he is realistic on leaving in some manner one day other than in a pine box.

I’m fine with him leaving eventually. But do what you said you were going to do, first. That is, at least compete with the big dogs in this conference. Leaving after two straight underwhelming years after getting a huge contract isn’t exactly “we just getting started bro”.

Was surprised to even hear his name in connection with the job. The expectations and responsibilities at A&M are through the roof. How you win and style of play (uptempo) is a requirement. Their fans would have hated him… I just don’t see him doing well anywhere there is a bigger spotlight on him. He struggles with the pushback with our fans…

Stoops stated mid-season, think after the Mizzou game, that he understood if we were going to grow that we had to open up the offense and develop a serious passing game. Hope he gives full autonomy to Coen this off season. Saw this tweet from Reese Phillips last night for those who think he wasn’t holding the offense back.

“I knew I couldn’t leave Kentucky right now”
I found that comment interesting. I think the right time will be in the next two years when the Iowa job opens up. Wonder where this goes if Ferentz should decide to retire this year.

I looked at the schedule and I thought we had a legit chance of being 9 or 10 wins this season...Losses would be against Alabama and Georgia.

Now, I realize that assumption meant that everybody had to be at 100% to pull off that many wins.

It's been an up and down type of season.

And with schedule getting tougher next season........I can see why there is some shake up in the coaching situation. It could be that Stoops knows the expectations are just too high for such a tough conference to play in.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Stoops stated mid-season, think after the Mizzou game, that he understood if we were going to grow that we had to open up the offense and develop a serious passing game. Hope he gives full autonomy to Coen this off season. Saw this tweet from Reese Phillips last night for those who think he wasn’t holding the offense back.

Giving “full autonomy “ to Coen isn’t going to fix the dropped passes , terrible route running, and poor offense line play that have happened, despite being coached by Coens hand picked position coaches. Or the missed open receivers , going the wrong place with the ball, and tipped passes from his hand picked quarterback. I believe the jury is still out on how effective this “outside zone “ blocking scheme and NFL style offense translates to college football.

Reactions: bluecoon1
I for one am not scandalized and outraged Mark Stoops isn't pledging to die on the UK sidelines. That he is realistic on leaving in some manner one day other than in a pine box.
This. It’s doesn’t change much for me. We’ve always said there are a handful of jobs he’d likely consider and I believe that’s still true.

Ohio State, Iowa, ND, Bama/UGA, and in the world of NIL free agency….UTAM makes perfect sense of why you’d listen and heavily consider

Reactions: JHB4UK
I found that comment interesting. I think the right time will be in the next two years when the Iowa job opens up. Wonder where this goes if Ferentz should decide to retire this year.
This may be how it plays out. Stoops goes to Iowa, Sumrall comes back to UK.

Reactions: IIIBradIII
I looked at the schedule and I thought we had a legit chance of being 9 or 10 wins this season...Losses would be against Alabama and Georgia.

Now, I realize that assumption meant that everybody had to be at 100% to pull off that many wins.

It's been an up and down type of season.

And with schedule getting tougher next season........I can see why there is some shake up in the coaching situation. It could be that Stoops knows the expectations are just too high for such a tough conference to play in.
9 or 10 wins were definitely there for the taking. Home losses to UT and Missouri and a bad road loss to SC and there’s your 10 wins. I’m more concerned with how bad we looked all year however. We played one complete game all year against Florida. We looked like dog shit the other games at least in some aspects of the game. We played pretty average yesterday even, 400 yards given up on offense. Drives of 14 an 15 plays resulting in TD’s and 36 minutes TOP. Poor defensive effort but with turnovers, special teams play (KO return), no penalties, and timely offense we overcame and pulled out the W. Seen many UofL fans we played our best game yesterday when in reality it was pretty much on par with how we played all year, sans Florida game.

Giving “full autonomy “ to Coen isn’t going to fix the dropped passes , terrible route running, and poor offense line play that have happened, despite being coached by Coens hand picked position coaches. Or the missed open receivers , going the wrong place with the ball, and tipped passes from his hand picked quarterback. I believe the jury is still out on how effective this “outside zone “ blocking scheme and NFL style offense translates to college football.
Totally agree with everything you said particularly the oz scheme.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT