ADVERTISEMENT

Sterling Gibbs Transferring from Seton Hall

MWes11

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2012
Eligible immediately. 6'2 guard averaged 16.3 a game last year. I know we don't necessarily need more guards with the addition of Mulder, but he could bring some leadership and instant offense off the bench with his shooting ability. Ulis, Briscoe, Mulder, Gibbs would be excellent combo at the 1-2 next year.

Isn't he the guy that punched that guy from Villanova on the floor???? I don't know about this.

Really like Gibbs. I watched several Seton Hall games last season and he can get RED HOT. Seems to have a penchant for big moments like buzzer beaters, breakaways and steals.

I would prefer Murray, but since I see shooting as probably our biggest weakness next season, I wish Cal would at least see if there's interest.

I don't care if he punched a guy or not as long as he's a good player. Hell we need a guy with that type of mean streak like Cousins had. But yeah if Murray doesn't reclassify we need this kid.

STAY AWAY.

From 2014...Another game, another suspension handed down from Seton Hall head coach Kevin Willard.
The fresh victim? Point guard Sterling Gibbs (14.3 ppg, 4.4 apg), who failed to travel with the team to take on No. 11 Creighton today. Here is Kevin Willard's statement to Gary Cohen on AM 970 prior to tip with the Bluejays.
"He didn't come the other day with a great attitude, he didn't come ready to practice.

From 2015...Seton Hall suspended junior guard Sterling Gibbs for two games on Tuesday, after he was ejected Monday night during the Pirates' 80-54 loss to Villanova in Philadelphia. Gibbs was assessed a flagrant foul 2 and ejected for hitting Ryan Arcidiacono in the face during a scramble for a loose ball. "Sterling demonstrated poor sportsmanship last night, and he recognizes that what he did was wrong and that he must be held accountable for his actions."

Regardless of talent, why would UK want to even bother with the potential criticism of this?

If you know anything about sports this year then you would know seton hall's locker room was a disaster from the top all the way down. His roommate Sina left this year out of know where and this caused Gibbs to have a poor attitude. The kid can play and I would take him just because he can light it up.

Lmao. You suspend a kid from a game because, "He didn't come with a great attitude and didn't come ready to practice"? Seems like that is more on the coach.

If Murray doesn't reclassify, I say go hard at this kid. Would provide experience and shooting. Calipari had been pretty good with managing attitudes as well

44% from deep, 70% from the line, and 100% with the right hook. Kid hits his mark to say the least, more-so in some areas than others.

It can never hurt to look into a situation such as this to cover all bases. One thing that is at a premium to have a great team is reliable shooting/scoring. I feel one more shooter this past season, and some seasons past, would have allowed us to bring home the championship trophy.

44% from 3? Put him in with Ulis and Briscoe and that's a deadly 3 guard lineup. Bring Mulder off the bench.

I'd rather have Murray, but this guy should fill the need for a great shooter just fine.

This is a big time transfer that could make us great again next year. He averaged over 16 a game last year and would fill that scoring gap that our roster currently has. He was second team all Big East last year, I hope Cal is all over this guy.

What position does he play and what are his measurable?
He's a 6'1" PG, though he's pretty much the shoot first type of PG. With Ulis and Briscoe (and Hawkins), I see no way he fills a need.

I doubt that this kid will be interested in UK. He is a combo guard and that is a position that is already a little crowded at UK. He is going to want to go somewhere that he can get a lot of playing time and I just don't see that being UK. Than again who knows. He might think that the exposure at UK might give him a better shot at the NBA.

I have a feeling that this kid will want to go somewhere that he can play PG since that is his likely position in the NBA. UK with Ulis and Briscoe at that position likely would scare him off.

The truth is I also don't think he is what UK needs. UK needs a SF or two and another big to bang inside. He might fit in if UK is going with a small 3 guard lineup if he is willing to play other than the point. He is a fairly small guard by Cals standards at 6'2" and likely would need to play at the 2G position rather than the Wing guard position.

Another thing that I think that goes against him coming to UK is IMO he is a somewhat a similar player to Mulder who has already signed with UK. I say however if he is willing to come bring him on in. He has a lot of experience , evidently is a scorer, and he will only take up a SS for one year.

Reactions: Chuckinden
I doubt that this kid will be interested in UK. He is a combo guard and that is a position that is already a little crowded at UK. He is going to want to go somewhere that he can get a lot of playing time and I just don't see that being UK. Than again who knows. He might think that the exposure at UK might give him a better shot at the NBA.

I have a feeling that this kid will want to go somewhere that he can play PG since that is his likely position in the NBA. UK with Ulis and Briscoe at that position likely would scare him off.

The truth is I also don't think he is what UK needs. UK needs a SF or two and another big to bang inside. He might fit in if UK is going with a small 3 guard lineup if he is willing to play other than the point. He is a fairly small guard by Cals standards at 6'2" and likely would need to play at the 2G position rather than the Wing guard position.

Another thing that I think that goes against him coming to UK is IMO he is a somewhat a similar player to Mulder who has already signed with UK. I say however if he is willing to come bring him on in. He has a lot of experience , evidently is a scorer, and he will only take up a SS for one year.
I respect your opinion but I must disagree with you and others on the thread. We need a scorer next year still yet, and this guy is a big time scorer. If we can not get Murray, this guy would be a perfect guy to pick up; second team a big east averaging over 16 a game is nothing to sneeze at. We are going to put some smaller line-ups on the floor next year, so why not add him

Let's just clear up that whether we do or don't pursue him, or whether or not he wants to come here, the criticism we would receive from the fact that he punched someone will play zero role in it.

Zero.

I guess if we're going to play small ball next season, this kid would be a good get. He can score the ball, but being only 6'1, i think he would want to play point guard and with the two point guards we already have on the roster, i don't see him coming here. I don't think he would be that interested in coming off the bench, but you never know.

Eligible immediately. 6'2 guard averaged 16.3 a game last year. I know we don't necessarily need more guards with the addition of Mulder, but he could bring some leadership and instant offense off the bench with his shooting ability. Ulis, Briscoe, Mulder, Gibbs would be excellent combo at the 1-2 next year.

He would start over Mulder

At this point, I'd take him and be grateful. The time for analyzing whether or not we feel we're too good for a kid has come and gone. We need guys who can contribute. Welcome to Humility 101, BBN.

I'd rather have a guy like this than some 5 star freshman. That is just me...he has scored it well in a legit league. That is not a knock on Newman, Murray, etc, but give me some experience to balance with the good frosh we do have coming in.

Like someone asked is UK interested in this kid? I think we could use some good players at the 3 instead another pg. who would play backup at UK.

I say get him, especially if we're going to play a 5 or 6 guard line-up. Seriously, another shooter is always good and that would mean Murray could
wait until next year if he wants or go somewhere else if he wants. Don't think we WILL pursue until the Murray thing shakes out. BTW, if he wants to lay a little lumber every now and then,the guard position would be a good spot to do it from. Plenty of players there.

ADVERTISEMENT