ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2025 Recruiting

Hey grumpy. I thought you had said you were a track coach or judge of the track meets or something. May have misread it I suppose. So where did you coach bud and did you win anything state titles or anything like that? Thanks.
Hey @Grumpyolddawg . . . there was a relevant question w/o a good link to catch your attention.

Reactions: GGary
Hey @Grumpyolddawg . . . there was a relevant question w/o a good link to catch your attention.

I see that. No, no state titles in football, but helped with wrestling team that won a couple of team state titles with multiple individual state champions. Probably the best kid I coached was a national HJ champion, at least that was what they called it, but at a shade under 6', he cleared 7'6". Went on to be an 8 time ACC champion, indoor and outdoor, and 4 time AA. IN 96 Olympic trials he was leading at 7'6", no misses, but didn't clear next height and 3 guys did. Still was under 6ft, just unbelievable spring, claimed his vertical was 33", He was also a basketball player, but just a good HS player.

I see that. No, no state titles in football, but helped with wrestling team that won a couple of team state titles with multiple individual state champions. Probably the best kid I coached was a national HJ champion, at least that was what they called it, but at a shade under 6', he cleared 7'6". Went on to be an 8 time ACC champion, indoor and outdoor, and 4 time AA. IN 96 Olympic trials he was leading at 7'6", no misses, but didn't clear next height and 3 guys did. Still was under 6ft, just unbelievable spring, claimed his vertical was 33", He was also a basketball player, but just a good HS player.
Thanks Grumpy. I wasn’t trying to troll you or anything, I just remembered you saying before you were a track guy and had coached track and maybe judged some meets or something. thought that was awesome. Such a great reward working with kids and actually making a difference in their lives. I played Basketball and had an offer to play at a small college but decided to go to Eastern Ky University and follow a bunch of women and friends. lol. Worst mistake I made I believe but had a great time I guess. I have coach a few little league basketball teams and really loved it, probably will again I’d say. Anyway, thanks again

Another update on our 2025 recruiting class.

The following uncommitted prospects appear to be leaning toward UK and will probably end up in our 2025 class at some point-

Martels Carter, DB, Paducah, KY
Dalen Penson, DB, Tyrone, GA

The following prospects are not UK leans currently, but I believe UK will probably end up in their final list of top three schools-

Bryan Auguste, OL, Pompano Beach, FL
Brandon Caesar, DL, Cleveland, OH
Javeon Campbell, DL, Frankfort, KY
Cam Clark, OL, Dexter, MI
Marquise Davis, RB, Cleveland, OH
Brody Lennon, LB, Gates Mills, OH
Dante McClellan, LB, Canton, OH
Dejerrian Miller, WR, St Louis, MO
Cashus Shivers, ATH, Detroit, MI
Isaac Sowells, OL, Louisville, KY
Andrew Stargel, OL, Roswell, GA
Cortez Thomas, DB, Lexington, MS
Dyllon Williams, DB/WR, Demopolis, AL
Cedric Works, LB, Clayton, OH

UK's coaches may be backing off these 2025 prospects now-

Byron Baldwin, DB, Towson, MD
Grant Beerman, LB, W Chester, OH
Nolan Davenport, OL, Massillon, OH
Rafael Greene, OL, Cincinnati, OH
N'Kye Wynn, OL, Muskegon, MI

Brody Lennon is a def the top TE target but PSU and Wisconsin have also went all in. The way he is blowing up OSU and UM may get involved

Brody Lennon is a def the top TE target but PSU and Wisconsin have also went all in. The way he is blowing up OSU and UM may get involved

There has been some good public evidence that UK's defensive coaches view Lennon as an edge LB prospect. But Coach Marrow, his primary recruiter, is our TE coach, and Lennon has TE size and tools as well.

There has been some good public evidence that UK's defensive coaches view Lennon as an edge LB prospect. But Coach Marrow, his primary recruiter, is our TE coach, and Lennon has TE size and tools as well.
There may be. JR reported last week that they backed off Luka Gilbert who committed to Miami and went all in on Lennon. Said he had much better tape and runs a laser 4.52. I didn’t even see you said LB on your post. Just adding that others are starting to come hard after him also. He is def a guy they really want to add

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Thanks Grumpy. I wasn’t trying to troll you or anything, I just remembered you saying before you were a track guy and had coached track and maybe judged some meets or something. thought that was awesome. Such a great reward working with kids and actually making a difference in their lives. I played Basketball and had an offer to play at a small college but decided to go to Eastern Ky University and follow a bunch of women and friends. lol. Worst mistake I made I believe but had a great time I guess. I have coach a few little league basketball teams and really loved it, probably will again I’d say. Anyway, thanks again

No problem and being trollednever entered my mind. A little tidbit on the high jumper, if he yelled his hair he could touch 6 ft tall. I think his PR was 7'8" he did 6'8" as a 12 year old. I never tested his vertical, but he swears it was 33".

Reactions: JASUN74
No problem and being trollednever entered my mind. A little tidbit on the high jumper, if he yelled his hair he could touch 6 ft tall. I think his PR was 7'8" he did 6'8" as a 12 year old. I never tested his vertical, but he swears it was 33".

I ran track in high school, the late 70’s.

I saw a kid clear 7 feet at Danville HS, a tall lean kid who was 6 foot 7.

The damndest thing I ever saw, though, was a 5 foot 9 inch kid decide to give the high jump a whirl at a track meet where one of our high jumpers got sick. His Dad was a local pharmacist, so he was a pretty well-known kid, but no one considered him especially athletic. He rattled off jumps at 6 feet, having never practiced the sport before, finishing second in the meet.

FWIW, I just reviewed UK's official roster again. With Raymond Cottrell, LaVell Wright, Ardell Banks, and Jackson Smith entering the transfer portal, and Anfernee Crease added to our roster, I now count 82 scholarship players for 2024, 17 of whom will use up their eligibility next fall unless there are some pending COVID seasons I don't know about yet. I am not counting Beau Allen as a scholarship player since he is apparently still a WO.

I still expect a couple more Wildcats to leave through the spring portal. I have an idea who a couple of them might be, but I won't get into speculating on names here.

Suffice to say, Coach Stoops is actively recruiting the portal and will still add multiple incoming transfers. Former Rutgers DT Rene Konga is visiting Lexington today. I believe Stoops will take another CB and another WR from the spring portal. He isn't currently chasing more transfer offensive linemen but that is potentially another area to watch. I think UK has struck out on spring transfer RBs, but Jason Patterson's spring performance mitigates this.

Looks like he cancelled his visit here this AM.

According to public information, Davis' OV to UK is still scheduled for June 14. He was here last weekend. He was supposed to return next weekend but that may have been moved or cancelled. Everything I see suggests UK is still in a good position. Of course, recruiting is among the least predictable of human behaviors.

FWIW, I just reviewed UK's official roster again. With Raymond Cottrell, LaVell Wright, Ardell Banks, and Jackson Smith entering the transfer portal, and Anfernee Crease added to our roster, I now count 82 scholarship players for 2024, 17 of whom will use up their eligibility next fall unless there are some pending COVID seasons I don't know about yet. I am not counting Beau Allen as a scholarship player since he is apparently still a WO.

I still expect a couple more Wildcats to leave through the spring portal. I have an idea who a couple of them might be, but I won't get into speculating on names here.

Suffice to say, Coach Stoops is actively recruiting the portal and will still add multiple incoming transfers. Former Rutgers DT Rene Konga is visiting Lexington today. I believe Stoops will take another CB and another WR from the spring portal. He isn't currently chasing more transfer offensive linemen but that is potentially another area to watch. I think UK has struck out on spring transfer RBs, but Jason Patterson's spring performance mitigates this.
Don't know his scholarship status but QB Shane Hamm is in the portal too.

UK also due a visit from a DL from SF Austin. Injuries have wrecked havoc with DL depth.

WR Shamar Porter to portal again. UK's now lost 3 WRs to portal in the past few days.
I had high hopes that Porter could be the tall guy who could win those one on ones, at least a possession receiver. Really nice offer sheet out of hs, maybe he didn’t fit what Hamden is trying to do or didn’t want to play behind some guys. No idea but like other schools those 5.8 guys don’t always make the cut, we’ve definitely had our share.

I had high hopes that Porter could be the tall guy who could win those one on ones, at least a possession receiver. Really nice offer sheet out of hs, maybe he didn’t fit what Hamden is trying to do or didn’t want to play behind some guys. No idea but like other schools those 5.8 guys don’t always make the cut, we’ve definitely had our share.

All of us had positive hopes for Shamar Porter. But look at the performance. He didn't get onto the field. This spring he has been leapfrogged by a true freshman (Gilmore) who classified forward. This is his second trip to the portal. Clearly, Porter has just not gotten it done. Yet again, this shows that online player ratings are not a predictor of performance, but only a guess.

Raymond Cottrell is in the same boat as Porter. Big rating, low football IQ, immature. Same lesson.

With Porter, Banks, and Cottrell gone, UK's WR room is thin.

Seniors

JaMori Maclin

Juniors

Barion Brown
Fred Farrier
Dane Key

Sophomores

ABS
Brandon White

Freshmen

Hardley Gilmore
David Washington

Maclin missed spring practice with an injury. White hasn't played. Only three of these players have ever caught a pass in a UK uniform and only four of them have ever been on a Power 5 roster before. This isn't enough receivers for an SEC season, so Coach Stoops will have to take several more out of the portal this spring.

With Porter's departure, four scholarships are currently open. Former Rutgers DT Rene Konga and former UL RB Penny Boone are in Lexington now, so presumably Stoops will take them if he can convince them. That would leave two scholarships for inbound WRs, although it is likely that more current Wildcats will yet leave through the portal this spring.

Reactions: bluecoon1
All of us had positive hopes for Shamar Porter. But look at the performance. He didn't get onto the field. This spring he has been leapfrogged by a true freshman (Gilmore) who classified forward. This is his second trip to the portal. Clearly, Porter has just not gotten it done. Yet again, this shows that online player ratings are not a predictor of performance, but only a guess.

Raymond Cottrell is in the same boat as Porter. Big rating, low football IQ, immature. Same lesson.
Doesn't this then also show that coaching staffs mis-evaluate recruits? Did UK sign him because of his star rating or what the coaches thought of him? I've thought it's the latter.

Doesn't this then also show that coaching staffs mis-evaluate recruits?

An imperfect science to it’s core.

Usually lost in football retention is that some never adjust to College life, and that bleeds over to football.

Fifteen to twenty-five percent of all college entering students wash out, most do so early-on, without the added stress of football.

How many football washouts are really home-sickness, lack of academic interest, etc.?

Last edited:
Doesn't this then also show that coaching staffs mis-evaluate recruits? Did UK sign him because of his star rating or what the coaches thought of him? I've thought it's the latter.
It was mixture of things. They recruited him for his size and athleticism, probably thought they could work out his flaws. That and he got recruited over. Same with Cottrell. Gilmore had already passed them both.

There may be. JR reported last week that they backed off Luka Gilbert who committed to Miami and went all in on Lennon. Said he had much better tape and runs a laser 4.52. I didn’t even see you said LB on your post. Just adding that others are starting to come hard after him also. He is def a guy they really want to add

It is clearer now that Coach Marrow is recruiting Lennon as a TE, as you said.

Lennon has scheduled an OV to UK on June 14. He will also OV Pitt and PA St in June. Evidently, those are his top 3 schools.

Hahaha, what's wrong with our coaching staff not predicting recruits to turn into SEC football players with 100% accuracy!?!?

MiS eVaLuAtIoN!@#$^;&*

Hey dude, they are dealing with 15-17 yr old teens. Trying to project what they will be at 20-23.

Some can't put on the muscle. Some can't maintain speed with added weight. Some can't handle the time comments. Some can't cut college classwork. And some show up and find out they freaking don't really like football.

Signing classes are 25 for that reason. Hope you get 10 guys in the 2 deep. Maybe 2 to 4 stick around as practice depth.

Hell fire the NFL screws up 50-75% of their drafts. And that is after examining them for months, and picking who they want.

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack and Davae9
This morning I did another roster count. Currently, 84 scholarships are taken on our 2024 football roster. That includes Waller and Crease, but not the recent outbound transfers. Eighteen of our 2024 players are scheduled to use up their eligibility this year, meaning 14 scholarships remain to be given away in our 2025 recruitment class if no other underclassmen transfer out. But others will transfer out, as they always do.

Meanwhile, our current roster is almost full, with one scholarship still open. We need more WRs.

This morning I did another roster count. Currently, 84 scholarships are taken on our 2024 football roster. That includes Waller and Crease, but not the recent outbound transfers. Eighteen of our 2024 players are scheduled to use up their eligibility this year, meaning 14 scholarships remain to be given away in our 2025 recruitment class if no other underclassmen transfer out. But others will transfer out, as they always do.

Meanwhile, our current roster is almost full, with one scholarship still open. We need more WRs.
Agree, but they are pretty much determined to get another DL. So could lose a couple more guys.

Agree, but they are pretty much determined to get another DL. So could lose a couple more guys.
They could lose more guys, but it would have to happen fast because the entry window for the spring transfer portal will close in two days.

So I think it is logical to believe the guys who want to leave have had time to think about it, and most of them probably have already declared their intentions. A player or two might wait until the last minute but we can't count on that.

Right now, there is one open scholarship. They need WRs. Obviously they had offered Suggs, Konga, and Lane earlier. But they lost 3 WRs in the last 2 weeks. With one open scholarship, I don't think anyone can seriously argue they need another lineman more than they need another WR now.

WR is not going to be easy when guys look at our starters and try see significant PT for themselves. It will be interesting to see what they can come up with.

WR is not going to be easy when guys look at our starters and try see significant PT for themselves. It will be interesting to see what they can come up with.
That's true. But be that as it may, Stoops and Hamdan need another WR or two anyway. In the cases of Porter, Cottrell, and Banks, I believe Coach Shorts cleaned out overrated dead wood that had been stockpiled by Woodward in the WR room. This became apparent when a young, reclassified freshman from FL enrolled in the spring and jumped over all of these guys on the depth chart. But we can't play 2024 with 5-6 viable receivers to cover 3 positions. A couple more are needed. I believe in David Washington, but we need more WRs. One way or another, it will happen because it has to.

And some show up and find out they freaking don't really like football.
Some might be surprised how many players who play four years of college ball don't follow it too closely later in life, and really don't want to talk about it very much.

In my experience, its about 50/50 . . . .

Met a guy who married a family friend at our families' Christmas dinner 15 years ago. He wore a WKU (FCS) National Title Ring from a few years prior. He cut our conversation off pretty quickly, by claiming he did not remember who they beat for the title, and changing the subject.

And he was a starter . . . .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT