ADVERTISEMENT

Spring game?

Seems like the only Spring games on ESPN last yr was Colorado and Georgia? Most everyone was on the app. None even on SEC Net.

Hope more are on regular TV in 2024.

Stoops has done everything possible and used any excuse NOT to have one. For some reason he seems scared our game plans will get out????? Mark,,,,,, everyone already knows we we’ll rush 3 drop 8 on 3rd n 8. It’s no secret.
I have heard differently, The lack of depth and threat of injuries to be the main reasons for no spring game.

Reactions: Girthang
Other SEC teams have posted theirs. Has anyone heard anything?
Was listening to Leach interview one of the UK beat writers and they said, given how late Hamdan got hired, they would likely not have a Spring game because the players wouldn't have enough of the offense down to avoid embarrassment. Last part my embellishment, but they did say they wouldn't want to put that on film.

• Wow
Reactions: Ky grandpa
I’d actually be surprised if they don't have it barring something unforeseen (weather). These kids are competitors and the spring game is supposed to be fun as well. I’m sure the coaches will also want to see who’s taking the play book seriously.

I have heard differently, The lack of depth and threat of injuries to be the main reasons for no spring game.

I think so too. We seem to have at least one significant injury each spring, whether it's during the game or during practices/scrimmages.

While you hate to have any injuries to anyone on the roster, having an (unavoidable- meaning one that is likely a matter of time) injury occur in the spring gives you some time and opportunity to prep the backups with real first team reps, as well as getting it addressed for the injured player sooner. I doubt the spring game has caused more injuries than would have happened at regular scrimmages anyway.

I don't have a problem with them not having one, but I personally would love to see them sell tickets to a well-planned, night, 40min scrimmage with concessions available, a mid-game or half-time concert, and pregame fanday, with a short fireworks display at the end. Make it something the networks want to air and something that puts us AHEAD OF a few other programs.

Stupid not to have it. Kids need live fire reps and as many as they can get. Injury is just a reality of playing the game. You play afraid to get injured then you get injured.

Reactions: Girthang
Don't think Stoops ever was opposed due to injuries. He just would rather use the date as a normal practice day, developing the team.

All in CFB get 15 dates of Spring practice, Spring Game counts as 1. Spring Games waste time playing a simulated game with only 22 guys on the field working, everyone else standing on sidelines doing nothing. On a practice day the whole team is out on the fields trying to get better.

We'll see what we get Apr 13th. Interesting what tv coverage is done for the SEC schools as well. All streaming? Or on conf network?

Don't think Stoops ever was opposed due to injuries. He just would rather use the date as a normal practice day, developing the team.

All in CFB get 15 dates of Spring practice, Spring Game counts as 1. Spring Games waste time playing a simulated game with only 22 guys on the field working, everyone else standing on sidelines doing nothing. On a practice day the whole team is out on the fields trying to get better.

That's why I'd rather see a half a game after practicing than a full scrimmage/game. Matter of fact, would be great to see two scrimmages or skellies run at different ends of the field. I just want to see as many on the depth chart as possible get some reps with the first and second team starters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT