ADVERTISEMENT

Some help from you KY fans?

TUL

Blue Chip Prospect
Oct 23, 2014
Hey guys,

So, don't laugh, but I still play some 2k7, and I am currently working on teams for it.

Two things I wanted to ask for some help from you guys on:

First, I can only have one Calipari Kentucky team. I am leaning towards either the Davis team or the Wall team... both seem like a hell of a lot of fun to play with on a video game. Which do you guys think I should do?

Second... I am just not as familiar with either of those teams as you guys obviously are... it would take me an hour to figure out each guy in a way that would take you all five seconds. Any chance I could steal a quick breakdown of those teams from you guys? Like, one sentence each? Sometime like...

Lance Thomas: Starting PF, thin, not a real threat on offense although can score reliably up close, excellent defender, good rebounder.

Anyway, if you guys could help, I'd really appreciate it!

BTW, who were the starters in 09-10?

Wall
Bledsoe
Cousins
PPat
annnddd...?

Anyway, any real help really appreciated... want to make sure to get the Kentucky team right:)

Darius miller

Ahhhh okay good, thanks.

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated. Who were the real three point threats on that team? Could Cousins take it outside a little in those days? Come on, I know some of you must be video game fans... help a brother out!:)

Ahh okay. Good defender, too?

What were Liggins and Miller like? Wall, Cousins, Patterson... those guys are easy, because they were big names... but I don't know that second group that well:( Liggins was a REALLY good defender, right?

Jon Hood was a little scrawny guy from the state of Kentucky. Could come in and really give a spark off the bench.

Your "FLOP" button is probably already worn out, but you won't need it for the UK teams anyway.

Frankly, I'd go with the Anthony Davis squad... just to see how the game handled AD in action.

Frankly, I'd go with the Anthony Davis squad... just to see how the game handled AD in action.

I actually have the starters on the Davis squad done, but I just have a hard time saying no to JWall. I figure that the Wall team gives you Wall, who is excellent (especially in a video game), but also gives you Cousins and PPAt, both really excellent bigs. Just not as interested in Teague...

I am open to either, really.

Jon Hood... I don't know him at all.

Liggins was a lockdown defender. Not much of an offensive threat. Miller wasn't a big contributor. Dodson was streaky shooter.

Liggins was a lockdown defender. Not much of an offensive threat. Miller wasn't a big contributor. Dodson was streaky shooter.

Awesome, thanks so much... simple stuff like this, which is second nature for you guys, is hard for a non KY fan to know.

So Liggins, eh-to-average shooting?

Miller... average in all departments? Below average or above average in any in particular?

Dodson... you mean streaky from three? Anything else about him I could use?

Thanks again for the helpful response... I knew there must be one or two other video game folks out there who are a bit bored by the off season!:)

Miller was a jack of all trades, master of none. Above average as an athlete, shooter, defender, and passer for a 6'7" small forward but was only a sophomore on the '10 team so he didn't get as much PT as in '12.

Dodson was brought in because we really didn't have much of a 3-point threat but he turned out only average in that department and I don't really remember much else about him. With the rest of the talent around him he kinda blended in.

Liggins was an average (maybe slightly below average) shooter but did a few things well. He was a point-forward if you will. Very good passer, and probably the best defender on the team.

Patterson was awesome at the pf spot. Very strong, good rebounder, had some post moves, actually developed a pretty decent outside shot that year, and always played with a high intensity level.

Wall and Cousins I'm sure you've seen. They were what they are now, just not as developed.

Our 09-10 team should have won IMO. I loved that team, and needless to say Demarcus Cousins is my favorite player of all time.

Wall
Bledsoe
Miller
Patterson
Cousins

We had Liggins, Dodson, Harris, and Orton as the main guys coming off the bench. And actually Dodson started a few games. But it was mostly Miller. I was big on Dodson at first. He could be a really good shooter at times, but I'm gonna say this. What if Jodie Meeks had came back for his senior year? You may be talking about one of the greatest ever.

Ah, yes. Good old Danny Orton. Big guy who plugged up the lane on defense. 6'10", 260, not terrible on offense, but he was usually put in for defensive situations.

Miller was a jack of all trades, master of none. Above average as an athlete, shooter, defender, and passer for a 6'7" small forward but was only a sophomore on the '10 team so he didn't get as much PT as in '12.

Dodson was brought in because we really didn't have much of a 3-point threat but he turned out only average in that department and I don't really remember much else about him. With the rest of the talent around him he kinda blended in.

Liggins was an average (maybe slightly below average) shooter but did a few things well. He was a point-forward if you will. Very good passer, and probably the best defender on the team.

Patterson was awesome at the pf spot. Very strong, good rebounder, had some post moves, actually developed a pretty decent outside shot that year, and always played with a high intensity level.

Wall and Cousins I'm sure you've seen. They were what they are now, just not as developed.

Perfect, thanks so much, that is exactly what I needed! Thanks man.

So lemme check... I've got Wall, PPat, Cousins, Miller, Liggins, Orton, and Dodson down I think.

I am not as familiar with Bledsoe...? Decent all around shooter, pretty good defender, decent rebounder for his size?

And Harris, Stevenson, and Jorts didn't play much, right?

Starters were Wall, PPat, Cousins, Bledsoe, and Miller.

Thanks again... I really appreciate it:)

Perfect, thanks so much, that is exactly what I needed! Thanks man.

So lemme check... I've got Wall, PPat, Cousins, Miller, Liggins, Orton, and Dodson down I think.

I am not as familiar with Bledsoe...? Decent all around shooter, pretty good defender, decent rebounder for his size?

Starters were Wall, PPat, Cousins, Bledsoe, and Miller.

Thanks again... I really appreciate it:)
Yeah Bledsoe was an ok shooter. He was built like a 6'1" tank, good with the ball in his hands. Quick but not Wall quick.

All this being said, the '12 team was much more well rounded I think, despite being not quite as athletic.

Awesome, I think I can get them all built tonight. I really appreciate it you guys... thanks for taking the time and helping out... what is like family to you guys is just so much tougher to get a handle on for opposing fans.

Now I just need to look up pictures to get them right... you'd be shocked at how getting things like sweatbands and sleeves right really completes the illusion:)

Thanks!

Last edited:

This seems pretty wild... and I admit that know absolutely nothing about setting up a game like this. Just curious... when you are putting it all together, do you get the player from that year, or the player's career average production, or??? For instance, Jorts didn't see much game time with Wall & Company, but he had one helluva year after they all left.

In other words, Super-Jorts would come in very handy as a bench player for the (video game version) 2010 Cats.

I am trying to build the team as it was... So I would likely make him not terribly good, since nobody knew what he would be. It is a tricky balance, for sure. For a Duke fan, the 2010 team is a perfect example... Guys like Mason and Miles Plumlee and Ryan Kelly were all on that roster, but were nowhere near what they would eventually become... So I have to make them decent but not great. The idea is to nail the team as it was in that year.

I am trying to build the team as it was... So I would likely make him not terribly good, since nobody knew what he would be. It is a tricky balance, for sure. For a Duke fan, the 2010 team is a perfect example... Guys like Mason and Miles Plumlee and Ryan Kelly were all on that roster, but were nowhere near what they would eventually become... So I have to make them decent but not great. The idea is to nail the team as it was in that year.

Makes sense. You doing one game for all the marbles... or best out of seven? Let us know how it turns out.

Hey guys!

Well, I am not sure how we will use it, but right now it looks like we'll just do some random games, but then do a 16 team tournament (or eight of them). As a Duke guy I have all the Duke title teams plus 86... Then I've got a couple of the UNC teams (05 and 09), the Jwall Kentucky team, a pair of Maryland teams (title team and the last Grevis Vasquez team), 01 Arizona, 04 UConn, a random NC state team (Leslie, Smith, and Harrow, who are fun in video game land because they aren't headcases like in real life) a random Wake team, a random Michigan State team... I can't remember who else, I have to check. I am trying to build teams that my college buddy and I watched play in the years before he moved to the west coast.... Fun way to look back, you know? Unfortunately I am a bit limited, as I can only do one version each college team with the exception of a few of the big time teams from 2007 and before, who are included in the game as extras:(. But Ill report back when we play!

Thanks again for the help, for those of you who did:)

Bledsoe was borderline as athletic as Wall and stronger. Smaller, obviously. Nobody had the speed with the ball of Wall.

Liggins was a defense first guy and wasn't an above average outside shooter until 2011.

Cousins was unstoppable in the post, handled the ball fine but displayed limited outside game. Jahlil Okafor is your ballpark.

Edit: I typed this up hours ago but forgot to hit reply. My bad.

Our 09-10 team should have won IMO. I loved that team, and needless to say Demarcus Cousins is my favorite player of all time.

Wall
Bledsoe
Miller
Patterson
Cousins

We had Liggins, Dodson, Harris, and Orton as the main guys coming off the bench. And actually Dodson started a few games. But it was mostly Miller. I was big on Dodson at first. He could be a really good shooter at times, but I'm gonna say this. What if Jodie Meeks had came back for his senior year? You may be talking about one of the greatest ever.
That's what we were missing, dream, dream, dream about what could have been.

John Wall: fastest player in NCAA that season, not a good jump shooter yet, but an awesome scorer and passer

Eric Bledsoe: a little smaller than Wall but incredibly explosive. Streaky shooter but sometimes gets hot

Darius Miller: Wasn't a knockdown shooter just yet but a good mismatch, since he is bigger and stronger than most guards, but smaller and quicker than many SF's.

Patrick Patterson: Force inside, expanded his game to the perimeter Cal's first season.

Demarcus Cousins: Almost unstoppable inside, demands double teams. Didn't take a lot of jumpshots, but Cal probably didn't want him to, like Anthony Davis.

-------

Darnell Dodson: Another 3 point threat, though I think he was streaky too.

Daniel Orton: Solid big off the bench

Deandre Liggins: Lockdown defender, good backup guard

Ramon Harris: Veteran senior SG/SF who could score, defend, and make hustle plays, but his playing time decreased senior year.

Perry Stevenson: Another senior, PF, kinda thin but lanky and showed signs of being a rim protector earlier in career, playing time decreased senior year.

Jon Hood: I think Duke actually offered him a scholly. He was a top-50 recruit from Kentucky, and a good scorer. Didn't really pan out at UK like people thought he would, but that may be due to his ACL injury after his sophomore season.

Josh Harrellson: Didn't really play much at all until the next season.

Mark Krebs: Like Harris and Stevenson, Krebs played for three different coaches at UK. Didn't really play much his senior year, but he still worked hard and was a part of the team. Now he does KSTV with Beisner.

ADVERTISEMENT