ADVERTISEMENT

So where does the NCAA stand on the Cliff Alexander

nookam

Sophomore
Mar 4, 2012
investigation? He was ineligible (or KU was told best to sit him). He and his mother were obviously guilty of taking out a loan and getting significant cash before last season began, which made him ineligible in the 28 games he played. They try to blame it all on his mom, which doesn't wash. Cliff was 18 at the time of the loan based on his future earnings......he had to sign the loan. Anyone with an 18 yr old knows you cannot do shat without their signature.
Will the NCAA enforce this and make them vacate 28 games? Self's beloved Big 12 streak is a joke after this.

She will not cooperate with the ncaa and show her bank information. The ncaa is trying to use this as a reason for them to not be able to touch Kansas or Cliff. I just find this mentality funny considering this is the same reason they stripped Memphis of final four. Derrick Rose never admitted to cheating he just simply did not cooperate and they hammered the school. I guess we will see if hairpiece is now in the Duke UNCheat boat and gets away with it.

I'd LMAO if the one thing Kansas has to cling to -- the string of meaningless conference title championships in a conference that didn't even produce an Elite Eight team this year -- was halted by forfeited games.

Otherwise, it was a meaningless season for them capped by an embarrassing loss as a 2-seed to 7-seed Wichita State, who they'd dodged for years and who whipped them easily. So forfeiting the games Alexander played in is no big deal. They had lost any chance to catch Kentucky in all-time wins for the foreseeable future.

She will not cooperate with the ncaa and show her bank information. The ncaa is trying to use this as a reason for them to not be able to touch Kansas or Cliff. I just find this mentality funny considering this is the same reason they stripped Memphis of final four. Derrick Rose never admitted to cheating he just simply did not cooperate and they hammered the school. I guess we will see if hairpiece is now in the Duke UNCheat boat and gets away with it.

They "hammered" Memphis for playing an ineligible player and for giving benefits to said player's brother. In the first point Rose was ineligible because the ETS threw out his score, after which the NCAA had no other choice but rule him ineligible. In the second point Memphis failed to charge Rose's brother for travel, room, and lodging on at least one trip. Both were violations and either made Rose ineligible. Even if Rose and Memphis chose to speak with the ETS and were able to clear his exam then the NCAA still would've had to throw out all games after early December due to the problem with his brother. Many forget about this, along with all the Red flags and warnings Memphis ignored by playing him in the first place.

Reactions: JohnBlue_
Cal backed off of Alexander and Izzo said it was crooked. KU should have know. Does anyone trust Jerrance Howard? the one who failed to tell his coach about being busted for illegal drug? Cliff's dad and most of the family were at every home game, traveled to Orlando, traveled to Georgetown. Should that have not raised an eyebrow in compliance?
Damned straight they knew when they signed him, they just got caught. I would think someone from Illinois or Izzo who was crapped on by CA turned them in.
By their own rules, the NCAA has enough to make them vacate, they damned sure would if it was us.

by the way, Cliffs dad has a long prison record, he wasn't working for these trips to be paid, he had his hand out. If the mother refuses to hand over the records that were requested of her, of course she refused, Cliff's name is on the paperwork....he was 18 at the time of loan on his future earnings...he was projected a top 5 pick. he dropped steadily till 28th when he sat. Now he will be lucky to go 1st round. That loan perhaps didn't cost him that much. Reminded me of TRob who the Kansas guy with the Kings said no to a top 5, but ok in the 20's.

Last edited:
They "hammered" Memphis for playing an ineligible player and for giving benefits to said player's brother. In the first point Rose was ineligible because the ETS threw out his score, after which the NCAA had no other choice but rule him ineligible. In the second point Memphis failed to charge Rose's brother for travel, room, and lodging on at least one trip. Both were violations and either made Rose ineligible. Even if Rose and Memphis chose to speak with the ETS and were able to clear his exam then the NCAA still would've had to throw out all games after early December due to the problem with his brother. Many forget about this, along with all the Red flags and warnings Memphis ignored by playing him in the first place.
A UNCheats fan talking about relative ethics and NCAA scandals? Your school probably didn't put a team on the floor between 1993 and 2008 that would have been eligible to participate if the players had been required to do legitimate college work. Julius Peppers played in a Final Four in 2000 -- we've seen his transcript. He would have had an F average without no-work AF-AM classes. Rashad McCants made the Dean's List with all AS in 2005. By his own admission he did no work. His transcript confirms that he would not have been eligible either semester without bogus AF-AM classes. Your athletic department was an ongoing criminal enterprise, with the crime being to cheat student-athletes out of an education, and to improperly participate in NCAA activities. When will your corrupt Tarheels do the right thing, and self-sanction?

As for Rose and Memphis -- are you really going to argue that Derek Rose allegedly cheating on a test before he ever reached campus is in any way as grotesquely pathetic as the cheating that occurred on UNC's campus, as documented by the Wainstein report, by Peppers transcripts, by McCants' statements and transcripts, and an avalanche of other evidence?

That is a complete load of garbage.

Rose's brother paid for 90% of the travel/board expenses he incurred. A secretary forgot to charge his credit card on one trip (maybe 2). This wasn't something that was hush hush trying to keep it quiet. It was a billing error.

The NCAA had plenty of choices on how to handle the Cancelled ETS (ACT) score. They chose to retroactively declare Rose ineligible. Again, I find this line of thinking to be completely obtuse. The cancelled score should have made Rose ineligible for the 2009 season and beyond (at least until he could receive a qualifying score). The NCAA didn't (and couldn't) do this because Rose had already forfeited his eligibility by turning pro.

Strict Liability is either the governing standard for violations and enforcement, or it was just concocted to try and get at Calipari. Frankly, I don't believe we will ever see it used again.

Strict Liability is either the governing standard for violations and enforcement, they should change the name of it to "Calipari Rule" as they only use it to punish him.
Waiting NCAA on Alexander ruling.....they will use the Duke rule.... he already left for the NBA and we can't force them to talk.

Reactions: brianpoe
A UNCheats fan talking about relative ethics and NCAA scandals? Your school probably didn't put a team on the floor between 1993 and 2008 that would have been eligible to participate if the players had been required to do legitimate college work. Julius Peppers played in a Final Four in 2000 -- we've seen his transcript. He would have had an F average without no-work AF-AM classes. Rashad McCants made the Dean's List with all AS in 2005. By his own admission he did no work. His transcript confirms that he would not have been eligible either semester without bogus AF-AM classes. Your athletic department was an ongoing criminal enterprise, with the crime being to cheat student-athletes out of an education, and to improperly participate in NCAA activities. When will your corrupt Tarheels do the right thing, and self-sanction?

As for Rose and Memphis -- are you really going to argue that Derek Rose allegedly cheating on a test before he ever reached campus is in any way as grotesquely pathetic as the cheating that occurred on UNC's campus, as documented by the Wainstein report, by Peppers transcripts, by McCants' statements and transcripts, and an avalanche of other evidence?

Woah, slow down pimpin, where did I compare anything? I just stated a few facts.

By the way, we've yet to see if any of UNC's players were actually ineligible. We'll have to wait for the NCAA for that. I would expect those who cheer for Cal to respect and wait for the NCAA's voice, considering they are the only ones, besides his fans, who've cleared Cal of cheating. Wait, did you not believe them when they did that?

That is a complete load of garbage.

Rose's brother paid for 90% of the travel/board expenses he incurred. A secretary forgot to charge his credit card on one trip (maybe 2). This wasn't something that was hush hush trying to keep it quiet. It was a billing error.

The NCAA had plenty of choices on how to handle the Cancelled ETS (ACT) score. They chose to retroactively declare Rose ineligible. Again, I find this line of thinking to be completely obtuse. The cancelled score should have made Rose ineligible for the 2009 season and beyond (at least until he could receive a qualifying score). The NCAA didn't (and couldn't) do this because Rose had already forfeited his eligibility by turning pro.

Strict Liability is either the governing standard for violations and enforcement, or it was just concocted to try and get at Calipari. Frankly, I don't believe we will ever see it used again.

I'm not arguing the impermissible benefits to his brother were huge, just that it was enough, according to the violations report from the NCAA, to vacate every game he played in after it occurred (early-mid December). You can argue how the NCAA could've handled his SAT not being valid, although I don't see how you could go about it any other way, but you still have the benefits issue. By clear rules they were in trouble after this happened.

Woah, slow down pimpin, where did I compare anything? I just stated a few facts.

By the way, we've yet to see if any of UNC's players were actually ineligible. We'll have to wait for the NCAA for that. I would expect those who cheer for Cal to respect and wait for the NCAA's voice, considering they are the only ones, besides his fans, who've cleared Cal of cheating. Wait, did you not believe them when they did that?
You're either an idiot or a liar. The NCAA cleared Cal.....but you KNEW that, didn't you? Take your crap to your cesspool of cheating.

You're either an idiot or a liar. The NCAA cleared Cal.....but you KNEW that, didn't you? Take your crap to your cesspool of cheating.

o_O

Please, show me were I said they didn't. I said UK fans should have more faith in the NCAA since they're the only ones, outside of his fans, who have cleared him of wrongdoing.

Reactions: Scudstock15
o_O

Please, show me were I said they didn't. I said UK fans should have more faith in the NCAA since they're the only ones, outside of his fans, who have cleared him of wrongdoing.

That's not true at all. Numerous analysts and media members that matter more than you or me or fans in general have cleared him. Players take money from agents/boosters all the time, I'm not really sure how any intelligent person blames the coach for that. I guess th Rose case is a bit murkier and such, but it is still a bit of a reach to think that Cal fixed the standardized test to get Rose to come to Memphis. If it did really happen it was probably some of Rose's handlers who set it up.

That's not true at all. Numerous analysts and media members that matter more than you or me or fans in general have cleared him. Players take money from agents/boosters all the time, I'm not really sure how any intelligent person blames the coach for that. I guess th Rose case is a bit murkier and such, but it is still a bit of a reach to think that Cal fixed the standardized test to get Rose to come to Memphis. If it did really happen it was probably some of Rose's handlers who set it up.

Yes, some have come to his defense, but to me the majority of those in the media think he's dirty.

The forensic document examination was completed on September 2, 2007 and the person who did the examination said it was inconclusive whether or not Rose took the test. The NCAA cleared Rose to play. They then waited until March 17, 2008 before they sent a letter to Rose asking for information that might prove he took the test. In their final report the NCAA admitted they had no proof that Rose didn't take the test but ruled him ineligible and vacated Memphis' 38 wins and their tournament appearance, citing "strict liability", a term not used before or since.

You might want to look at the case of Corey Maggette if you believe the NCAA would've had to throw out all the games after Rose's brother received the $2,200 in illegal benefits. Maggette received more money, then lied to the NCAA and played the entire season before he admitted he actually did take money. In that case, the NCAA ruled that Maggette took the money but he didn't know it was a NCAA violation and that Duke didn't know they had played an ineligible player and neither Maggette or Duke were punished.

Why does this need to change? The topic was Cliff Alexander who was dirty, a dirty recruitment that was enough for Cal to quit recruiting and Izzo to flat out rant it was dirty......how did Self not know?

Yes, some have come to his defense, but to me the majority of those in the media think he's dirty.

I'd say a slim majority at present, but close to 50/50 overall. 6 years ago I'd say that number would be far more weighted towards those thinking he is dirty. He has changed a lot of minds at UK.

investigation? He was ineligible (or KU was told best to sit him). He and his mother were obviously guilty of taking out a loan and getting significant cash before last season began, which made him ineligible in the 28 games he played. They try to blame it all on his mom, which doesn't wash. Cliff was 18 at the time of the loan based on his future earnings......he had to sign the loan. Anyone with an 18 yr old knows you cannot do shat without their signature.
Will the NCAA enforce this and make them vacate 28 games? Self's beloved Big 12 streak is a joke after this.

So where does the NCAA stand on the Cliff Alexander?

On his shoulders I think.

Cal backed off of Alexander and Izzo said it was crooked. KU should have know. Does anyone trust Jerrance Howard? the one who failed to tell his coach about being busted for illegal drug? Cliff's dad and most of the family were at every home game, traveled to Orlando, traveled to Georgetown. Should that have not raised an eyebrow in compliance?
Damned straight they knew when they signed him, they just got caught. I would think someone from Illinois or Izzo who was crapped on by CA turned them in.
By their own rules, the NCAA has enough to make them vacate, they damned sure would if it was us.

by the way, Cliffs dad has a long prison record, he wasn't working for these trips to be paid, he had his hand out. If the mother refuses to hand over the records that were requested of her, of course she refused, Cliff's name is on the paperwork....he was 18 at the time of loan on his future earnings...he was projected a top 5 pick. he dropped steadily till 28th when he sat. Now he will be lucky to go 1st round. That loan perhaps didn't cost him that much. Reminded me of TRob who the Kansas guy with the Kings said no to a top 5, but ok in the 20's.

If you dry this out you can fertilize the lawn.

Reactions: McThick

Players actually ineligible? McCants showed his transcript and SAID unc cheated. We have all seen Peppers transcript. You have former players suing the school for the cheating.

How blind are you people?????

From Dean Smith on you guys have cheated worse than any program in history.

The forensic document examination was completed on September 2, 2007 and the person who did the examination said it was inconclusive whether or not Rose took the test. The NCAA cleared Rose to play. They then waited until March 17, 2008 before they sent a letter to Rose asking for information that might prove he took the test. In their final report the NCAA admitted they had no proof that Rose didn't take the test but ruled him ineligible and vacated Memphis' 38 wins and their tournament appearance, citing "strict liability", a term not used before or since.

You might want to look at the case of Corey Maggette if you believe the NCAA would've had to throw out all the games after Rose's brother received the $2,200 in illegal benefits. Maggette received more money, then lied to the NCAA and played the entire season before he admitted he actually did take money. In that case, the NCAA ruled that Maggette took the money but he didn't know it was a NCAA violation and that Duke didn't know they had played an ineligible player and neither Maggette or Duke were punished.

Did the NCAA not wait until the ETS threw out his test before they declared him ineligible? Is this not what changed, and what the NCAA warned Memphis about, prior to them making their ruling?

No need to look at the Maggette case, it's in the report released by the NCAA that all games after this happened are to be vacated. Those games were vacated for Rose not having a SAT (or equivalent) AND vacated again, if you will, for the impermissible benefits. It's in the report.

Did the NCAA not wait until the ETS threw out his test before they declared him ineligible? Is this not what changed, and what the NCAA warned Memphis about, prior to them making their ruling?

No need to look at the Maggette case, it's in the report released by the NCAA that all games after this happened are to be vacated. Those games were vacated for Rose not having a SAT (or equivalent) AND vacated again, if you will, for the impermissible benefits. It's in the report.

And how abut UNC's decade's long scandal, what are your thoughts on that?

Players actually ineligible? McCants showed his transcript and SAID unc cheated. We have all seen Peppers transcript. You have former players suing the school for the cheating.

How blind are you people?????

From Dean Smith on you guys have cheated worse than any program in history.

What semester did McCants say he cheated during?

I'm not arguing the impermissible benefits to his brother were huge, just that it was enough, according to the violations report from the NCAA, to vacate every game he played in after it occurred (early-mid December). You can argue how the NCAA could've handled his SAT not being valid, although I don't see how you could go about it any other way, but you still have the benefits issue. By clear rules they were in trouble after this happened.

Using that standard, KU should be in deep trouble. UNC should be on death row.

If it were UK that was involved in either the Alexander situation or the UNC nightmare the NCAA and ESPN would have the investigation and any hearings live and on replay on a daily basis.

o_O

We'll have to wait for the NCAA for that. I would expect those who cheer for Cal to respect and wait for the NCAA's voice, considering they are the only ones, besides his fans, who've cleared Cal of cheating.

Your own words dude.

o_O

Well you lost me with the faith statement. Show me where the NCAA has recently did anything right when it comes to serious problems against elite schools like unc, dook, and now Kansas? Since Cal has been here he had been accused of cheating by certain media so you know they investigated those things behind closed doors, the NCAA made UK change the announcement that Cal had won a certain number of games because they disagreed, and kept a player from playing at UK when others only were only disallowed a certain number of games. You can take that faith and stuff it concerning the NCAA.

The NCAA sent a second letter on April 10, 2008, a week after the championship game, to ask Rose for information to prove he took the test. Rose, like Maggette knew he wouldn't be back for another season and ignored the request. The difference was that Rose and Memphis had their NCAA tourney 2nd place finish vacated while Maggette and Duke, who also finished in 2nd place were not punished. The NCAA admitted they had no proof that Rose cheated and they also admitted they had proof that Maggette did.

You keep asking for proof that UNC played kids who would have been ineligible without the fake classes but you have no problem claiming Rose was ineligible. By using your standards of proof for UNC players, do you believe Rose and Memphis should have been sanctioned for something the NCAA admitted they couldn't prove? Do you believe the NCAA should treat the UNC players the same way they did Rose and ask for proof the classes they took in the last 20 years were legitimate and vacate every season if they failed to do so?

You have forfeited any claim to be taken seriously here. You act as if the Wainstein report was never issued, with its detailed depictions of basketball players kept eligible by fraudulent classes. You pretend we haven't seen Peppers transcript, and McCants. You act like credible UNC faculty members haven't blown the lid off the whole scheme. You ignore the fact that an honest journalist has laid out the AF-AM work of the ENTIRE 2005 championship team, and indisputably demonstrated that in BOTH semesters ALL the players on that team retained eligibility through bogus classes. In short, you have trapped yourself in one of two categories: Liar or willfully ignorant fool. Let me say this clearly, as many national education experts have: UNC engaged in the dirtiest scandal in college basketball history. UNC has no claim to anyone's respect until it takes steps to admit the past, punish itself, and then ask to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Cliff's mom has yet to meet with the NCAA or offered any explanation. Since the NCAA can't force her to its kind of a stalemate.

All the public statements coming from KU have been for the family to cooperate with the NCAA inquiry. Unless someone starts talking its just going to fade away.

We'll have to wait for the NCAA for that. I would expect those who cheer for Cal to respect and wait for the NCAA's voice, considering they are the only ones, besides his fans, who've cleared Cal of cheating.

Your own words dude.

What are you talking about?????????

Where does it say the NCAA didn't clear him? The ENTIRE point of my post rests on him having been cleared by the NCAA.

What are you talking about?????????

Where does it say the NCAA didn't clear him? The ENTIRE point of my post rests on him having been cleared by the NCAA.

How about your point that you don't think UNC cheated. Are McCants and peppers transcripts forged? Is the Wainstein Report wrong (other than it didn't go far enough)?

Take a closer look at the semester he's talking about. It was Spring of his last year at UNC. Even if you give him four Fs for using plagiarized papers he's still eligible for that semester, that would only take him out for the following Fall semester -- he was already in the NBA then.

You think that's the only time UNC cheated? A semester for only one player that didn't mean anything?

The NCAA sent a second letter on April 10, 2008, a week after the championship game, to ask Rose for information to prove he took the test. Rose, like Maggette knew he wouldn't be back for another season and ignored the request. The difference was that Rose and Memphis had their NCAA tourney 2nd place finish vacated while Maggette and Duke, who also finished in 2nd place were not punished. The NCAA admitted they had no proof that Rose cheated and they also admitted they had proof that Maggette did.

You keep asking for proof that UNC played kids who would have been ineligible without the fake classes but you have no problem claiming Rose was ineligible. By using your standards of proof for UNC players, do you believe Rose and Memphis should have been sanctioned for something the NCAA admitted they couldn't prove? Do you believe the NCAA should treat the UNC players the same way they did Rose and ask for proof the classes they took in the last 20 years were legitimate and vacate every season if they failed to do so?

The HUGE difference between Rose and Maggette was that the ETS can and will invalidate tests. This is why the NCAA acted, they had to act. There was nothing similar in the Maggette case. If the ETS had not thrown out his test then the NCAA wouldn't have had any reason to think Rose was ineligible (except for the brother). This is also why I ask about UNC's players, who has declared the classes not to count? Until then, those players were eligible. Now, of course this will change and the NCAA will take away games if those classes are tossed. But, the latest I've heard...we ain't there.

You have forfeited any claim to be taken seriously here. You act as if the Wainstein report was never issued, with its detailed depictions of basketball players kept eligible by fraudulent classes. You pretend we haven't seen Peppers transcript, and McCants. You act like credible UNC faculty members haven't blown the lid off the whole scheme. You ignore the fact that an honest journalist has laid out the AF-AM work of the ENTIRE 2005 championship team, and indisputably demonstrated that in BOTH semesters ALL the players on that team retained eligibility through bogus classes. In short, you have trapped yourself in one of two categories: Liar or willfully ignorant fool. Let me say this clearly, as many national education experts have: UNC engaged in the dirtiest scandal in college basketball history. UNC has no claim to anyone's respect until it takes steps to admit the past, punish itself, and then ask to be taken seriously.

Or, maybe someone who actually looks at what violations occurred for the men's basketball team. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT