G- Floreal 6-4 200
G- Mulder 6-4 185
SO
G- Ulis 5-9 155
FR
F- Skal 6-11 215
G- Briscoe 6-3 215
G- Matthews 6-5 180

I'm looking forward to the season. I think there is much more capability there than appears on the surface.

SR
F- Poythress 6-8 238
JR
F- Lee 6-9 220
G- Hawkins 6-0 195
F- Willis 6-9 216
G- Floreal 6-4 200
G- Mulder 6-4 185
SO
G- Ulis 5-9 155
FR
F- Skal 6-11 215
G- Briscoe 6-3 215
G- Matthews 6-5 180
Lee, Willis, and Skall need to bulk up over the summer.

Last year we had the biggest team, this year we will have the fastest team. Remember how much faster the second platoon was, this team will make them look slow. Plus, they will be more aggressive. It will be another exciting, new, different team with its own style and fun season, as expected with Coach Cal.

Marcus Lee looks taller than 6'9 to me. I guess it's because he's so skinny and long.

IMHO, Lee, Willis & Matthews are the key this year. I have full confidence that the starting 5 will produce. We just need to get something from the bench.

Reactions: OSOK
I agree it looks like a solid roster.

Just a few points. 1) Poythress is listed as SR. He could still aply for a medical redshirt for last season and be a JR if he wants to come back for another year. 2) I think we added a walk-on FR guard from the Pittsburg area for the upcoming season.

We should have a solid starting 5. Murray coming would be a major plus. He would start from day one and push someone that would start to a reserve roll. That would help our bench out a lot with a guy like Mulder or Matthews coming off the bench.

The list is missing walk-on, Jonny David.

6'2" all-stater from Pittsburg area who had Ivy League possibilities.

If nothing else, should be a solid contributor to the team GPA.

I'm sure that's part of the plan. May also play the shooter role at times in practice for the scout team.

Best case is a Jared Polson type of career, which is apparently what the family is looking for.

Hopefully he knows it was in friendly jest. I certainly didn't mean any spite. I do similar things in text myself, usually when using the voice to text feature.

I do no texting. I can't type worth a dang. Much less on cellphone.
You are right. I meant it as a jest also, but it deprnds on how he takes it.

I like our roster so far. If Cal pulls a rabbit out of the hat and lands Murray, I think we could be looking at the best transition team in Kentucky history. Ulis, Briscoe, Murray, and Matthews give UK four elite transition guards; Mulder and Murray give Ulis and Briscoe drive-and-dish options who can spot up from three on the break (something the 2010 team lacked); Poythress, Lee and Skal are the type of interior players who can run the floor and finish on fast breaks.

It would be magical.

I see 0 point in including our roster with guys like floreal. Even in the worst case scenario he brings nothing.

If we don't get Murray, the competition for the fifth starting spot is going to be interesting.

Matthews and Mulder should be the two main guys fighting it out.

Cal might have to go big if one of those two can not cut it and put Poythress at the 3. That makes us really thin inside with just Lee and Labissiere backed up by Willis and Wynyard (if he comes second semester).

Guard heavy.. We are going to "where" out teams.
I predict Calipari's wing players will be the key to success for this team. Here is my reasoning. Every opponent will know that Labissiere is the most dangerous scorer on our team. But we don't have a back-up center. If Labissiere gets into foul trouble, Marcus Lee will substitute. Lee, while a solid player, does not have any offensive game. So every opponent will go straight at Labissiere on both ends of the floor. When Kentucky has the ball, the opponent will play a zone, or else Labissiere will be double teamed on the low block. This means Kentucky's wings must shoot and score. When the other team has the ball, Labissiere will be challenged frequently on the low block to see if he will commit fouls. The best tactics Calipari can use will be for Briscoe and Mulder to score from the perimeter, and for Kentucky to play uptempo. Calipari will try to avoid playing zone because he doesn't like to confuse young players with multiple defenses. But his thin roster will force him to play zone at times. As long as Kentucky's wings score well, Kentucky can control game tempo and stop opponents from doubling Labissiere in the low block. But if Kentucky's wings cannot score, then the scoring burden will fall on Labissiere. Labissiere and Briscoe are shot creators. Ulis and Poythress are fine players, but their offense comes when other players create scoring opportunities. They are not primary shot creators. Ulis is usually a beneficiary of inside out assists, and Mulder will probably be the same kind of scorer as Ulis. Lee is strictly an offensive rebounder without a jump shot. We need more scorers. For those wondering why we need Jamal Murray, this is the reason.

Nobody calls me a liberal and a Hillary voter and gets away with it.
Just because we made fun of a poster's grammar and I felt that was not right and apologized, how does that make me a liberal and the need for you to give me a lable? Did I say anything politically related?

I could be mistaken, but that looks like a Hillary bumper sticker on your truck...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT