ADVERTISEMENT

So Since CWS was being renovated

buckkiller

All-American
Nov 6, 2003
They couldn't play the spring game in another stadium? Would it of cost to much or something?

They couldn't play the spring game in another stadium? Would it of cost to much or something?

Back when Mumme was here, I believe something was going on with the field, so they played in Georgetown, KY, at the Bengals facilities. That was great. But someone told me since then that there is a ncaa problem with recruiting now when you do this. I'm not sure why but that was one reason that they didn't try to get like the PBS was because of recruiting issues.

If that is the case then their spokesman should get on here and explain it, where is Fuzz anyway.

Reactions: robo222
On unofficial visits, recruits are not allowed to be entertained off campus. I think this is what did it in. Now in that regard, I don't know how Rupp Arena which is off campus can be used then, but I assume there is a waiver for universities who use off campus facilities on a regular basis. Seems to me we could have approached the NCAA for a waiver.

2 reasons for not doing it at alternative sights were given:

1)The limits on recruiting abilities held at off campus events. Someone knows the actual rules, but our coaches can't invite, and go talk with kids if the spring game isn't on UK's campus.

2)Put this UK team, split the squad, and hold it in a high school or D2 stadium, and we look like a high school or D2 team. yeah it was held in Georgetown 15 years ago, but this is the twitter age, the instagram age. Having UK's spring game in a 4,000 seat stadium would look awful when shown on the SEC Network, would do more harm to the program than not doing it at all.

Reactions: teetim
2 reasons for not doing it at alternative sights were given:

1)The limits on recruiting abilities held at off campus events. Someone knows the actual rules, but our coaches can't invite, and go talk with kids if the spring game isn't on UK's campus.

2)Put this UK team, split the squad, and hold it in a high school or D2 stadium, and we look like a high school or D2 team. yeah it was held in Georgetown 15 years ago, but this is the twitter age, the instagram age. Having UK's spring game in a 4,000 seat stadium would look awful when shown on the SEC Network, would do more harm to the program than not doing it at all.

I've heard point #2 made a few times, but I'm not really sure why a Spring Game in a packed 4,000 seat stadium would look worse than 10,000 in a 65,000 seat stadium.

Sorta seemed to me like they decided it was too much hassle to have off campus and then backed into the reasoning.

Reactions: teamcanada
Sorta seemed to me like they decided it was too much hassle to have off campus and then backed into the reasoning.
Well if it was any kind of hassle, would have take time away from practices and recruiting, then it was the right call

Texas A&M didn't have a spring game for the same reasons.
It was Stoops' decision not to move it elsewhere.

Lets let Texas A/M explain it:

"After careful consideration and in consultation with Coach Sumlin and the football coaching staff, we have decided not to play a traditional spring football game this year or next as Kyle Field is being redeveloped," Texas A&M director of athletics Eric Hyman said in a team-released statement. "We appreciate the cooperation of the SEC office in considering a waiver to play a spring game off campus, but other factors including NCAA rules and regulations regarding contact with prospective student-athletes also played into our final decision."

https://www.football.com/en-us/texas-a-m-cancels-14-15-spring-game/

They should have just threw down some dirt on the Rupp floor and had practice there. Don't they do it already for monster truck shows? ;) They could have rented some artificial turf and had a little arena football with touch only practice.

ND talked to the NCAA about holding their spring game off campus due to the massive construction at ND Stadium. They were informed by the NCAA that they couldn't invite recruits to campus or the game. If some did come to campus they could not be shown around campus, meet the team, or have any contact with the coaches. ND played at the their practice facility before 4,000 invited fans and recruits. It showed up great on NBC and got the second best offensive lineman away from Urban Meyer. It wasn't like playing in historic ND Stadium, but it was a lot better than having no game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT