ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking & Grilling Thread-2015 Edition

So you're going to go through the trouble of thawing out frozen mac n cheese THEN smoking it? Grow up. Make it from scratch, use real bacon you f*cking podunk redneck, and learn smoking & grilling.

Bacon bits. SMH.

lol. Go to the trouble? You mean taking it from inside the freezer and sitting it outside of the freezer?

I bet chase buys those roasted chickens from kroger and throws them on the grill. Probably the same with the ribs, just warms them up for an hour. Sooooo good y'all.

I bet chase buys those roasted chickens from kroger and throws them on the grill. Probably the same with the ribs, just warms them up for an hour. Sooooo good y'all.
Anth roast you lol. Smoked Mac and cheese sounds good but how much smoke could you impart with such a small surface area? Seems like you would be better off smoking bacon and using it in some mac n cheese.

Holy shit. Last night, I may have made the best chicken salad in the history of the world with some leftover smoked chicken.

Smoked chicken chopped up pretty well in the food processor, left it slightly chunky
Sweet onion chopped up really fine in the food processor
green grapes chopped small
raisins
chopped walnuts
lite olive oil mayo
seasoned salt
pepper

I didn't measure anything, but the chicken was far and away the main ingredient. It tasted incredible and there were small chunks of crunchiness in every bite.

My next "lesson" on the Smoky Mountain will be another couple of fryers (brined this time). I am going to make a shitload of chicken salad with the leftovers.

Stouffers lol.

That's pretty pathetic, jesus. You could MAKE the Mac from scratch in the time it takes to get your Egg to temp...and it would be 1000x better.

Someone start a spinoff "2016 Reheating/Smoking Thread"

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
If I was making it I would make a cheese sauce of some sort. Just saying you could make a quick version in no time that doesn't consist of frozen Stouffers and bacon bits.

I can't take that rolleyes seriously. Looks more like a swooning emoticon.

I've just never got my desired results when wrapping anything. Did ribs yesterday and tried again to wrap after 2 hours. They're right on time, look gorgeous, texture and bark are spot on, just humming right along. I pull them and put in foil and let go for another 2 hours and they come out 30 minutes over done and the beautiful bark and color is now gone. Should have known better and just rotated their positions and left unwrapped. They still tasted good but were too done.

Spare>>>>Baby Back

Always wanted to brine, but never think ahead far enough...and to be honest, it's just hard for me to imagine my Spatchcock coming out any better/juicier than it does already.

I cut the backbone out of the chicken, cracked the breast and cut them in half like I usually do.

On one of them, there was an intact membrane on each of the halves after I cut it in half. I obviously should've removed or cut them before smoking because it acted as a sack that held a lot of blood & juices and wasn't quite as done as the other chicken.

I hadn't seen that before, anyone else had this happen? I'm not sure if I just cut it exactly in the middle of the breast plate or what.

I am following a Weber Smoky Mountain "Low & Slow" book that gives you 5 recipes that you should follow exactly. Brining was lesson #2. The first was also 2 fryers, but marinated.

They were both equally juicy, but the brined version was better, IMO.

Baby backs, Spare ribs and finally pulled pork are the remaining 3 "lessons."

I think the idea was just to teach you about brining and he also had me fiddle with the vents a little bit this time.

The marinated version was just wide open the entire time.

It's hard to screw up a chicken as long as you don't turn it into leather.

The smoker stayed in the 240-255 range for a total of 5.5 hours on just one load of charcoal. (The chicken was done in under 2.)

Baby backs are great, and incredibly easy to do on a whim. They are always in stock, and are done after 3 hours. You get more meat and more fat with the St. Louis/spare ribs, but I have a hard time finding them sometimes, and it takes too long to do them on a weeknight. Just make sure you remove the membranes from the cavity side of the ribs.

May try some beef spare ribs this weekend, but never have done any beef at all on the smoker.

Rib Roast is MUCH easier than a brisket. You're only cooking to like 120 internal. Go for it, just make sure your probe is in the middle and pull few degrees below, we'll say 117 then let it sit for a good 1/2 hour. You can tent some foil but don't wrap it, you don't want it cooking any further. They're really easy. Google a popular crust, don't go over board on the crust with the herbs. Salt and pepper should be plentiful. Have about 2 gallons of horseradish sauce. Profit. Damn I'm craving a roast now.

Brisket is a finicky bitch because it takes so long and if you don't wait out the plateau and the fat doesn't render properly you're screwed and it's basically non-edible. It's also very difficult for weekenders to determine how long it's going to take which means you end up with a fresh done brisket at 3p or 11pm. But when you nail it.... MERCY... there won't be a scrap left after 5 minutes.

Reactions: weused2luvhim2
Damn it. I want about 9 lbs of Rib Roast for lunch now.

From what I have read, removing the membrane on baby backs is optional. I've cooked them other ways and removed it easily in the past, though.

I think the way to go is to score the membrane.

Baby backs this weekend, Spare ribs the following weekend and a Boston Butt for pulled pork the next.

My only beef with the BGE is unless I'm planning a long cook or making a day of it, it's almost not worth the trouble of setting up.

Plus, I hate not having different 'zones' available for different cooks, simultaneously. Removing the grate, platesetter, etc...when moving onto something else isn't really desirable at all. Basically have to do one thing at a time, which is pretty annoying coming from the versatile Weber where you can have the coals on one side, and an entire other side available for veggies, sides, other things, etc.

Of course, having the Weber sitting beside it has eliminated that problem, but then that's two separate charcoal grills you have to prep, light, tend to, etc.

I have a little 1/2 moon size grate that goes on the grid extender that allows for that unless you're doing something really low.

The fast cooks are my favorite on there.

Yeah, I clearly need some more accessories...the junk ass extender I bought was the wrong one.

Link me the best Adjustable Rig & whatever else you're talking about...your exact setup.

Baby backs are great, and incredibly easy to do on a whim. They are always in stock, and are done after 3 hours. You get more meat and more fat with the St. Louis/spare ribs, but I have a hard time finding them sometimes, and it takes too long to do them on a weeknight. Just make sure you remove the membranes from the cavity side of the ribs.

May try some beef spare ribs this weekend, but never have done any beef at all on the smoker.

What are you cooking those ribs at? 325?

Tried some about a month ago, right alongside a rack of pork spare ribs. Both cooked almost identically--port ribs were fantastic, beef ribs were somewhat tasteless and fatty. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I'll never mess with beef ribs again.

Last edited:
I use adjustable rig and spider. Spider allows me to put a pizza stone down low for indirect rather than use the plate setter, which give me at least 3 extra inches probably more. Then I put my main grid on bottom(where it normally goes), a second grid on top of the adjustable rig doubling my grid space. This takes some experience because you will have temp disparity b/w the two, I just rotate the meats on the two so it evens out.

For raised cooks I'll put the main grid on top of the rig for delicate meats(wings, spatchcook).

Or I'll put the 1/2 moon on for 50% for grid space that is raise. If I'm cooking corn or veggies along with meat.

The setups with that spider/adj rig are endless really. The BGE forums are countless on this topic.

What are you cooking those ribs at? 325?

Usually about 250, for about 3 hours, open it up and glaze them in the last 15-30 mins. I use an Akorn, and put the meat on at room temp.

I've heard plenty about the 2-2-1 cooks, but don't like to foilwrap, and my ribs come off the way I like them in 3-3.5 hours.

Tried some about a month ago, right alongside a rack of pork spare ribs. Both cooked almost identically--port ribs were fantastic, beef ribs were somewhat tasteless and fatty. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I'll never mess with beef ribs again.

I assumed you have to marinate/brine them.

ADVERTISEMENT