ADVERTISEMENT

Smoking & Grilling Thread-2015 Edition

The picture I posted is the grill I am getting. It arrives via Amazon Prime tomorrow. I have never actually had a grill before. This is my trial grill. If it actually gets used on a regular basis, the wife has agreed to the purchase of a BGE for use in the 2016 grilling season.

a44021d2-1dd6-4408-948d-b39791f5cd15_400.jpg

That's what I use (except it's the copper finish). Just as solid as they come.

Btw, for charcoal, I've found that those competition briquets will heat up super quickly and cut down on the time to get it fired up.

Got the smoker out for the first time this year.
Whole roaster chicken - brined over night, herb, spices and butter mix stuffed under the breast skin
Cut in half and threw it on the grill to crisp up the skin.
Yum

-

-If she likes it well done why would you spend that kind of $$ on a bone in dry aged piece of meat? Then douse it in Dale's, which I actually like on certain meats. That's insane. Feel like falcon punching you right now. Also try to aim for an internal of 150-155. Medium well should have no pink but not be shoe leather.

Why didn't i just cook her a hamburger? Been married to her for ten years, know how to operate. The extra six bucks didn't hurt as bad as what you are suggesting. Was very tender according to her.

i like Dales sauce as well, but not on the meat i had last night.

Don't falcon punch me, dude.

Fair enough. Happy wife, happy life.

Apparently according to intraweb if you keep it right below 160 it will retain some juices.

Weber Kettle is just an excellent grill. Classic. Would recommend it to anyone. Actually wish I still had mine.

I will be pulling the trigger and getting a Weber Performer Platinum. It has the touch and go lighting system (not sure if that is worth a damn though) and a few good little features. I just need to decide on a color.

Is there a pork butt shortage? I went into Sams yesterday and they had zero pork butts. I tried again today and they still have none. Ran in Kroger and they just have the injected moist n' tender pork butts.

Been trying several different variations on bone-in pork chops this spring on the BGE (brine vs butt rub, seared at 600 then shut the grill down vs longer/lower, etc). Inexpensive cut to try different things.

I will be pulling the trigger and getting a Weber Performer Platinum. It has the touch and go lighting system (not sure if that is worth a damn though) and a few good little features. I just need to decide on a color.

Is there a pork butt shortage? I went into Sams yesterday and they had zero pork butts. I tried again today and they still have none. Ran in Kroger and they just have the injected moist n' tender pork butts.

Porcine epidemic diarrhea virus last year, rising beef prices and now the avian flu outbreak is affecting the poultry industry.
Sure all have put pressure on the supply market.

Smoked wings on Saturday for a derby party. B+. The smaller ones were a slightly overdone. Removed the water pan and smoke-roasted them. The skin was nice and crispy.

The dry rub I made worked well. Chili powder and dark brown sugar were the main 2 ingredients, but I added a lot more. I was going for a sort of BBQ potato chip sweet, salty and spicy rub. I thought it would have more heat than it did.

I made 36 and they were gone in 10 minutes, so they must've been pretty good.

Smoked 2 fryers yesterday. B+.

My marinade sucked, didn't add much flavor at all. I was going to go with a store bought mojo criollo but Kroger was out, so I ended up just mixing salsa verde, olive oil, a lemon and a lime. I only had time to marinate for 3 hours so that probably had a lot to do with the weakness of the flavor.

That was a lot of chicken for just me, my skinny ass wife who eats like a bird and a 4 and 2 yr old. Looks like chicken nachos tonight and smoked chicken gumbo tomorrow.

Anybody ever just started their egg/akorn/kamodo before work, and let it run all day like a crockpot, and hope for the best? Any tips appreciated.

Would like to do some weekday smokes with the weather looking great, but I don't want to eat dinner at 10pm.

Anybody ever just started their egg/akorn/kamodo before work, and let it run all day like a crockpot, and hope for the best? Any tips appreciated.

Would like to do some weekday smokes with the weather looking great, but I don't want to eat dinner at 10pm.

Wouldn't do that for a bird but a butt, or something of similar size, shouldn't be a problem. Fill up the firebox with larger pieces on the bottom. Light it in one spot on the side so the fire will have to spread across rather than lighting in the middle or several spots.

Open bottom door about 1/4" and the top just a little. Shouldn't get too hot and it should burn long enough for you to get home. After you use it for awhile you'll get an idea of how to light for different cooks and how much air you need to maintain a certain temp range.

I do long cooks all the time, but never unmonitored - I am constantly adjusting in the effort to stay at the perfect temp.

I guess I am asking if anyone has actually tried seeing if the temp will stay stable for about 8 hours without keeping an eye on it, or if adjustments are always necessary.

I tried once during a tailgate/game and ruined a brisket because the fire went out. Pretty sure I didn't get the fire going well enough to start and then wasn't there to coax it along.

Done it overnight successfully several times though.

How much difference does it really make to inject the Boston Butts before smoking? I've had pretty good success over the past year or so without it once I learned to get the meat to 195 degrees instead of 165-170. (And buying a digital thermometer instead of relying on the one in the smoker.)

I'm also trying to duplicate my grandfather's "sop" for basking and for a little on the sandwiches. Tried a recipe this past weekend that used apple vinegar as a base, about half as much water then a mix of black pepper, red pepper and paprika. The consistency was what I wanted, (watery not sauce), but still can't get the flavor right. Anyone have any suggestions?

original-brisket-injection.jpg
This is what I use to inject boston butts. Mix 2 parts apple juice to one part injection powder. Turns out great everytime.

Plain ole Webber Kettle for this simpleton but I can cook the basics (steak, chicken, chops, tenderloins, veggies) on it and it make it turn out pretty damn good. I'm looking to upgrade so I can do some longer smokes and other options than the classics.

Just grilled some 1 1/2 bone in chops that would stack up to Patti's on that bad boy. In fact, the lass quit getting the chops there because mine are so good. Sorry for the Dr. Bob humblebrag but I have those chops down pat

So guys that win these big competitions that are injecting briskets and butts are just throwing their money away? You should let them know.

The universal king of brisket, Aaron Franklin, uses black pepper and kosher salt. Brisket absolutely doesn't need an injection to be juicy, it just needs to be cooked correctly to render the collagen and become juicy. TS. Plenty of those competition guys swear against injections as much as they swear by them.

I've inject stuff before I just don't get it. Maybe on a turkey or bland meat but I don't think pork or beef shoulder is bland. I think it's delicious on it own and the meat doesn't need to be masked. Now if you're a weirdo who likes ketchup and dales seasoning then, go ahead and inject away. If you're a man made from brawn, saw dust and steel then cook and eat meat like it was inteded. I do like a good seasoned bark with some garlic and spice in the flavors as opposed to just salt and pepper.

Think it's about time to do another brisket. Saw prime flat at FM the other day but I just don't see the point in messing with a flat. Been awhile since I've done beef ribs as well. Hmmm

Every once in awhile I'll inject a butt; I think it absolutely adds flavor.

Inject apple cider vinegar and leftover dry rub, which is usually Dizzy Dust. Stuff is great.

As for sauce, I'll brush lightly the butt the last hour or so of a long smoke with 2/3 SBR and 1/3 apple cider vinegar and use it for sauce as well.

Also, take it to 203

Rack. Your meat will stall at a lower temp, usually for at least an hour. Wait it out, get it to 203 and hold it there in a cooler.

Personally. I think a mustard coat and rub is all thats needed in addition to smoke on a pork butt. Try mixing up the wood you are using for some variation. If you are injecting a brisket, and correctly cooking it, you are going to end up with some excessively moist meat that won't slice well.

What advantage do you get by going to 203 for a particular time period versus 190-195? TIA.

I normally don't pay as much attention to the finishing temp as I do the tenderness of the meat but 190-195 would be low for me to pull a brisket. Granted with the point on a full brisket you can go a little higher. If you're doing a flat I think they pull them as low as 185.

Interesting discussion here. Love these annual threads.

By the way, has anyone ever made any smoked ice cream? I saw a recipe for it and I would love to try it, but I know it would basically be a weekend long project and I just don't know that I want to invest that much time into something that might be terrible. See below for the recipe I found:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/07/smoked-honey-mint-chip-ice-cream-recipe.html

It is really hard to do but for pulled pork I like to get it to 200 and then wrap it in a towel and let it rest and hour. Its just so much better that way.

I have injected before and think it does more harm and than good. Maybe I just like the meat taste and not some added flavor. I love to coat the pork with tons of brown sugar and some chipolte and cayenne pepper. A good bark is what is key for me. Now I feel to do that you can't wrap it to get a really good bark so that will add to the cook time.

I take the butts to 203, always turns out great. I don't wrap and can't tell the difference other than the bark stays barky. I don't inject anything other than turkey.

Agree with Anth on the brisket. I don't have a magic temp for those like I do for butts. Too much variation between each one. Once it gets to 180 or so I start to pay attention.

Regarding the T bones I mentioned earlier. Hers was well overcooked and rested for 10 to 15 minutes before she cut into it. Juice was puddled up on her plate. Mine was cooked properly and cut within a few minutes off the fire. Very small amount of juice in plate, plenty in the meat. Seems opposite of what I expect. Why?

d stack up to Patti's on that bad boy. In fact, the lass quit getting the chops there because mine are so good. Sorry for the Dr. Bob humblebrag but I have those chops down pat[/QUOTE]

Injections don't do anything.

Learn AmazingRibs.com

Also, take it to 203

Mahalo buckethead.....AmazingRibs.com is a excellet site....lots of great info there...!!!

AlohaCat

What advantage do you get by going to 203 for a particular time period versus 190-195? TIA.

I've read that 190 is really the minimum for all of the fat and tissue to melt. The extra temp is to ensure the whole piece has reached 195. Below 195 is usually for slicing the butt, rather than pulling, since the connective tissues haven't come apart that well yet. Once you hit 160-175, the meat stalls due to evaporative cooling, and which helps create the bark as the moisture comes out of the meat. So once you get past that and into the 190s, you are basically making sure the collagen is melting into the meat and replacing the moisture, rather than being steamed out. This is when your bark starts getting crispy.

I've never actually tested any of that though. I just follow the pull and hold at 200 wisdom.

Smoked mac & cheese a few weeks ago, and it was unreal. Very, very simple. Get a package of Stouffer's Mac & Cheese, let it thaw, coat with bacon bits, 250 for about an hour with your favorite wood.

Worship.

So you're going to go through the trouble of thawing out frozen mac n cheese THEN smoking it? Grow up. Make it from scratch, use real bacon you f*cking podunk redneck, and learn smoking & grilling.

Bacon bits. SMH.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT