ADVERTISEMENT

"Slot" speed

Tyblue22

Senior
Dec 23, 2003
  • We have a ton of these 5'-9" to 6'-0" guys in the 4.3 to 4.3 range. Loads of speed. I think that with the size we can put on the outside, and the speed we have in the backfield, Ryan Timmons is set to have a breakout year. Defenses keying on Kemp and Boom, and Bone/Mathews, leaves linebackers trying to cover a guy like Ryan. Im telling you guys, I watched him play many many times in person, and unfortunately he had to play a lot his first 2 years, a lot on his plate while being injured. Ryan Timmons can move, I hope he stays healthy, and cures up the dropped ball problems, because you give him the ball in a little open space and he is a terror to try to catch. I love it that we have Ryan Timmons, Jeff Badet, TV Williams, Thaddeus Snodgrass, Garret Johnson, Alex Montgomery, Blake Bone, Jabari Greenwood, to name a few. Its nice to have SEC depth and speed. Its going to be a fun year.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
You forgot to mention possibility our best WR, Dorian Baker.

• and cures up the dropped ball problems

That drop in the FL game was a killer. Had about 28 seconds left with two timeouts and the ball wouldve been down right around the 40. Plenty of time with the two TOs to get within FG range to win it. Instead it bounced off of him and resulted in a pick. A very catchable ball too. Hopefully the dropped passes are behind him now. I'm hoping for big things from this kid.

Reactions: jnewc2
Slots all of these guys can play
GJ-Montgomery
Then
Timmons-Herrick
Then
Walker-Williams

I think coach Stoops redshirts all incomers barring significant injuries .

Conrad will see lots of time @TE (which will alleviate Slot congestion)
Been hearing Walker and Timmons will line in some in the backfield

Unfortunatley the Safeties and or nickle backs who cover our slots are as fast or faster. Everyone loves to beat RT up for the drop but he had to do a better job creating space on his under routes. As for Herrick, watch the snaps he is in. He is covered by a Mike. That is not speed. Tough kid, hard worker, but if we are relying on him this season, we are outnumbered before the start.

Herrick is a tough kid with great hands that can catch most balls thrown to him but I do not believe blazing speed is his forte. Do not however think I am dismissing Herrick because he might be slower than Timmons, Badet and a few others. There is a lot of NFL greats that were not burners that were great route runners, tough, had good hands, and caught everything thrown near them.

Herrick is a tough kid with great hands that can catch most balls thrown to him but I do not believe blazing speed is his forte. Do not however think I am dismissing Herrick because he might be slower than Timmons, Badet and a few others. There is a lot of NFL greats that were not burners that were great route runners, tough, had good hands, and caught everything thrown near them.

Herrick is never going to win a race against most of our WRs. But he is one of our more reliable WRs as far as making the catch. He will be in the rotation based on his catching ability.

Herrick is never going to win a race against most of our WRs. But he is one of our more reliable WRs as far as making the catch. He will be in the rotation based on his catching ability.
I am hoping...unless he RS...that King will be tried some there...thinking of Yeast

Not all receivers have to be really fast. Slot receivers can still be very effective if they just run good routes and catch the ball. During the Mumme era Kevin Coleman was very effective and probably couldn't crack 4.7 seconds.Coleman basically ran the same slot position that Herrick is running. I don't see Herrick as a prolific receiver. Tough kid is about the description that I would use. I doubt he gets more than 20 catches on the year. Montgomery also plays that same slot. He will likely get the bulk of the reps there. You will also see one of our TEs flexed out to that position some as well.

Also to respond to the above post, Dawson has stated already that some of our backs, namely Jo Jo and King, will be used in the slot in some cases. He wasn't clear however if that was going to be a pass catching role or to be used in Jet sweeps.

I would love to be able to RS King. Might not get the chance due to depth at RB. Not sure they want to put the emergency RB in the slot. If we had more RBs, I would say send him out there. I'm thinking Yeast in a few years when Russ Yeast gets here.

I would love to be able to RS King. Might not get the chance due to depth at RB. Not sure they want to put the emergency RB in the slot. If we had more RBs, I would say send him out there. I'm thinking Yeast in a few years when Russ Yeast gets here.

If I remember correctly Yeast was used at the X receiver. Trying to do this from memory but I believe that Coleman was the slot that Herrick now runs and Michleson\McCord played the slot that Timmons plays now.

In the Mumme era you could get by with a slower slot because defesnses were still walking out heavy footed linebackers to protect the flat. Even the slowest slot back was quicker than them. Defenses don't play that personnel any longer. So, comparisons to those in the Mumme Era may or may not be valid.

montgomery is gonna make a lot of catches this year. i think garrett will be playing outside most of the time?

Badet is a burner and outside with Bone and Baker (healing up) Garrett can play anywhere, but inside slot is where I see him. To me, Badet looks way more athletic than Demarco or Javess (now graduated)

On the speed and strength front, all these guys have gained speed, strength and weight .

Taller guys outside, short fast and physical inside.

I agree with comments regarding separation, especially in the SEC, but that also comes with experience, height, weight, strength how to push off to gain that little advantage, etc. etc.

It is hard for a kid to come out of high school and have that down.

These Sophomores are going to be vastly improved this year.

Reactions: jimmy cowboy
Unfortunatley the Safeties and or nickle backs who cover our slots are as fast or faster. Everyone loves to beat RT up for the drop but he had to do a better job creating space on his under routes. As for Herrick, watch the snaps he is in. He is covered by a Mike. That is not speed. Tough kid, hard worker, but if we are relying on him this season, we are outnumbered before the start.

While a lot of defensive backs are fast, not all of them can run a 4.3
Our speed on offense will be tough for defenses.

In the Mumme era you could get by with a slower slot because defesnses were still walking out heavy footed linebackers to protect the flat. Even the slowest slot back was quicker than them. Defenses don't play that personnel any longer. So, comparisons to those in the Mumme Era may or may not be valid.

I'm not sure that's correct. You're speaking in general terms and in general most teams did put bigger players on the field to defend power running games than what they do today. However most teams didn't defend us that way. We faced nickel and dime defenses a easy majority of the time. Even more than we are seeing now. Nobody respected Mumme's teams when it came to running the ball. There were times that teams would only have 2 down linemen, 2 LBs and the rest DBs. The reason slots can get away with being slower is similar to why a TE doesn't have to have 4.3 speed. They are running different routes. The slots are more 'sitting down' in a gap than they are beating press coverage. Also they are usually closer to the QB so being wide open isn't as needed. You can be open by simply screening the defender with your body. Having good hands is a bigger premium inside than outside because you are catching the ball in traffic more so than running away from coverage.

Comparisons between eras of course should be taken lightly as there is almost no real comparison at all. Just the player's body types alone has changed so much it's ridiculous. It's not absurd these days for a middle linebacker to keep up with a running back in man coverage. 10 years ago that would be suicide for the defense.

Reactions: adolph rollingover
I'm not sure that's correct. You're speaking in general terms and in general most teams did put bigger players on the field to defend power running games than what they do today. However most teams didn't defend us that way. We faced nickel and dime defenses a easy majority of the time. Even more than we are seeing now. Nobody respected Mumme's teams when it came to running the ball. There were times that teams would only have 2 down linemen, 2 LBs and the rest DBs. The reason slots can get away with being slower is similar to why a TE doesn't have to have 4.3 speed. They are running different routes. The slots are more 'sitting down' in a gap than they are beating press coverage. Also they are usually closer to the QB so being wide open isn't as needed. You can be open by simply screening the defender with your body. Having good hands is a bigger premium inside than outside because you are catching the ball in traffic more so than running away from coverage.

Comparisons between eras of course should be taken lightly as there is almost no real comparison at all. Just the player's body types alone has changed so much it's ridiculous. It's not absurd these days for a middle linebacker to keep up with a running back in man coverage. 10 years ago that would be suicide for the defense.

Thanks for your response. Take a look at old air raid footage. The slot needed to be fast enough to out run the field side linebacker who walks out. Bama stayed in its base 3-4 most of the game. Here are seme shots vs Alabama. He needed to be able to run from his slot on one side and outflank the opposite linebacker, Rarely was he sitting down anywhere. Also, defenses would never align like this today, if so, we would still be putting of 900 yards of offense.
Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Reactions: BigBoyBlueMMA
I'm excited to see what Garrett Johnson, Blake Bone, Dorian Baker, Timmons, Conrad, Snodgrass, etc show this year..we legitimately have one of the best WR corps in the league this year..it's young, but it's deep..might be the strength of our team..if the line can open up some holes in the run game, and keep some decent pass protection, should be a BIG & EXCITING offensive year

I'm excited to see what Garrett Johnson, Blake Bone, Dorian Baker, Timmons, Conrad, Snodgrass, etc show this year..we legitimately have one of the best WR corps in the league this year..it's young, but it's deep..might be the strength of our team..if the line can open up some holes in the run game, and keep some decent pass protection, should be a BIG & EXCITING offensive year

All of our skill guys are young. This will be a fun offense to watch for years to come. You hit the nail on the head though. We need to OL to show up for these guys to do their job.

Reactions: woodson991
Yea Timmons had some drop issues but fellas I'm telling you now, I watched that kid for years in person and he is special. You have to consider that he was kind of thrown to the wolves, and played as a true freshman because he was about the only speed we had. He played hurt all of last year. I think with 4 wide receiver offense, and Boom in the backfield Timmons is gonna be in some situations where he will showcase. Here is a clip to show what he can do. This kick return with no time left won the district championship. Watch near the end, when he approaches midfield, he outruns 2 defenders that are 20-25 yards downfield from him

Juice (GJ) has a chance to be all SEC. He has super star all over him. Personally, there are two 4 wide sets I'd love to see on the field together and I know it may put some guys out of position but Juice, Snodgrass, Badet and either Timmons/TV and line up Boom or King as the 5th WR. The other would be more of a redzone set, but Baker, Bone, Conrad and Montgomery. One being our fastest guys out there so there's no way the defense could cover them one on one and then the other with our biggest which would be mismatch galore in the redzone.

While we will still be young at WR, we now have A LOT of experience there. And a ton of talent. The fact that guys kept forgetting kids like Baker and Johnson just shows how deep this corp of receivers are. If Montgomery and Badet are 100% this year, they are just gonna add another dimension to the offense. Badet can outrun just about anyone and Montgomery can just about sky over anyone. Really hope they are working on the endzone fade routes. We have got to improve our redzone efficiency. Need TDs not FGs.

Johnson, Badet, Montgomery, Baker, Timmons and Bone are probably our best receivers and will probably make the most noise. Add in the freshman Conrad as a release valve and this offense will be hard to stop assuming the line gets better and Towles plays more like he did at the beginning of the year. We may very well lead the SEC in scoring this year. Or be top 3 at the very least. We might put 70 on Eastern.

If there is ONE position in football that you can play\showcase youth, its receiver. In most cases its 1 on 1 vs a DB, and its athletic skill vs athletic skill. You want mis matches, ie Height (Blake Bone) vs a short db. Or you want Speed (Jeff Badett) vs a big safety, or Speed and quickness with size (Ryan Timmons 5'-11"\6'-0" 200lb)
vs anyone across the middle. We are young at receiver, but we are talented. With our really good group of running backs keeping the linebackers honest, we will have a lot of fun this year with the passing game. I look for defenses to zone blitz. Put pressure on our O-line. If the O-line proves themselves, its over. We are looking at a year where we score 40 to 50 per game. The problem I see is this....our offense will not run the clock. This can cause the defense to play a lot of downs, and get tires. Stoops, thankfully, has built some defensive depth, and we are going to need it.

If there is ONE position in football that you can play\showcase youth, its receiver. In most cases its 1 on 1 vs a DB, and its athletic skill vs athletic skill. You want mis matches, ie Height (Blake Bone) vs a short db. Or you want Speed (Jeff Badett) vs a big safety, or Speed and quickness with size (Ryan Timmons 5'-11"\6'-0" 200lb)
vs anyone across the middle. We are young at receiver, but we are talented. With our really good group of running backs keeping the linebackers honest, we will have a lot of fun this year with the passing game. I look for defenses to zone blitz. Put pressure on our O-line. If the O-line proves themselves, its over. We are looking at a year where we score 40 to 50 per game. The problem I see is this....our offense will not run the clock. This can cause the defense to play a lot of downs, and get tires. Stoops, thankfully, has built some defensive depth, and we are going to need it.
Part of my worry as well, scoring too quickly. But I do believe Dawson will actually put our stable of running backs to use this year, rather than having Towles running QB dives. In one of his interviews he talked about making sure that he took into account the defense so that if they were gased he'd try to burn some clock and slow things down a bit. Towles has gotta be simply giddy at the thought of having all these weapons at his disposal and an OC that will try to put the hammer down on defenses.

I also forgot to mention Snodgrass as another receiver who will be a matchup problem for a lot of corners. And hey, if someone isn't performing, we've got depth to bring in.

• We have a ton of these 5'-9" to 6'-0" guys in the 4.3 to 4.3 range. Loads of speed. I think that with the size we can put on the outside, and the speed we have in the backfield, Ryan Timmons is set to have a breakout year. Defenses keying on Kemp and Boom, and Bone/Mathews, leaves linebackers trying to cover a guy like Ryan. Im telling you guys, I watched him play many many times in person, and unfortunately he had to play a lot his first 2 years, a lot on his plate while being injured. Ryan Timmons can move, I hope he stays healthy, and cures up the dropped ball problems, because you give him the ball in a little open space and he is a terror to try to catch. I love it that we have Ryan Timmons, Jeff Badet, TV Williams, Thaddeus Snodgrass, Garret Johnson, Alex Montgomery, Blake Bone, Jabari Greenwood, to name a few. Its nice to have SEC depth and speed. Its going to be a fun year. Can't freakin wait!
you mention SEC depth, but frankly, even most SEC teams don't have this sort of wr depth. Granted, one could argue that lots of our guys are unproven, but most SEC teams only have 2-3 playmaking receivers to carry the load. We literally have like 8 differnt guys that I trust to get the job done. Somewhat unprecedented at a skill positions like receiver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyblue22
Part of my worry as well, scoring too quickly. But I do believe Dawson will actually put our stable of running backs to use this year, rather than having Towles running QB dives. In one of his interviews he talked about making sure that he took into account the defense so that if they were gased he'd try to burn some clock and slow things down a bit. Towles has gotta be simply giddy at the thought of having all these weapons at his disposal and an OC that will try to put the hammer down on defenses.

I also forgot to mention Snodgrass as another receiver who will be a matchup problem for a lot of corners. And hey, if someone isn't performing, we've got depth to bring in.

Lord, I hope our biggest problem this year is scoring too quickly! However, I think when you hear Dawson talking about putting our guards in a three-point stance you're hearing a guy who knows that YOU MUST be able to run the ball to win consistently.

i'll be shocked if dawson doesn't start out the season with 2 runs up the gut and then a 50 yard bomb... or some variation of that. i dont think he's gonna dink and dunk as much as other airraid guys.

Herrick caught 8 passes in '14. Eight. He's in the game because of is blocking ability in the running game, not to catch passes.

IMO Garrett Johnson & Dorian Baker are gonna battle all season long for the lead in catches/yards/TD's. Both are gonna be awesome.

Herrick caught 8 passes in '14. Eight. He's in the game because of is blocking ability in the running game, not to catch passes.

The kid is tough in traffic with good hands. I agree he is a tough blocker, but would not be surprised to seem him catch 15-18 balls this year.

ADVERTISEMENT