ADVERTISEMENT

Six NBA Draft choices

C1180

All-American
Dec 21, 2001
Six NBA draft choice with 4 being lottery picks and Calipari could not win the NC. I have for year given the rag to Dale Brown because he couldn't win the NC with 3 first round draft choices which included Shaq at LSU and I am going to say I am beginning to wonder about Calipari's bench coaching. There is no doubt he is a great recruiter but there is room for doubt that he is a great bench coach.

Six NBA draft choice with 4 being lottery picks and Calipari could not win the NC. I have for year given the rag to Dale Brown because he couldn't win the NC with 3 first round draft choices which included Shaq at LSU and I am going to say I am beginning to wonder about Calipari's bench coaching. There is no doubt he is a great recruiter but there is room for doubt that he is a great bench coach.
Agree...

When Towns came to college was he the consensus number one pick? were WCS and Booker lottery picks when they arrived in lexington. Cal is the best at developing talent winning 6 games in a row is very tough to do

Other teams have great players, great coaches, and want to win just as badly as we do. There are never any guarantees in a one game and you're out format.

All I know is that we've been in the hunt every year Cal has been here except for the Noel injury season. We've been in a lot better position year-to-year with Cal than we were the 10 years before he got here and we are the most relevant program in college basketball in spite of having to deal with a biased sports media that will never treat us as one of their protected darlings.

Believe what you want to believe but that's the truth and that's reality.

Last edited:
I can't believe we've had all of this talent and only won one National Championship, while Duke and UCONN have each won two during that time! It's one of the most amazing stats in college basketball history.

Say what you want, but there's a lot of truth in the original post. Think about all of the talent he's recruited, and only one title...and it took a once in a lifetime type player in AD to get it. We can sugar coat it all we want, but he got outcoached by Huggins in 2010 and last year by Ryan. It is what it is. People are extremely bullish on this years team, but I don't think this is a championship team either. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: MTLacy and drbubba
Not the place or the time for a thread like this but truth hurts. 4 lottery picks and no title. That hurts. It was a choke job and people need to accept that and move on.

Reactions: CharlestownCat
This is so dumb and i'm so freaking tired of it.

OK, so you have stated your complaint....what's your solution? What do you want to happen? You aren't happy wit Cal, so you want him gone and you want who exactly to come in and take his place? C'mon, what's your strategy? Because the past 6 years have been sssooooooo terrible...only the greatest run of wins, FF, players, media exposure, NC's we've experienced IN THE HISTORY OF THIS PROGRAM.

:chairshot::flush::uzi:[eyeroll]

Reactions: Brando Mac
IMO talent can get you to the elite 8 but by that time the talent has pretty much caught up to you and you must then show your bench coach ability. The great bench coaches are able to close the deal. Tell; me truthfully are you not just a little doubtful that Calipari is a great bench coach with all of the talent he has had and him only having one National Championship. Heck it seems almost half of the players in the NBA played for him and only a few won NCs. I am beginning to think that it is true that getting players to the NBA is more important to him than winning NCs at UK.

I detest Ratface at Duke but he is a heck of a bench coach and when he has the talent to get to the elite 8 he seems able to close the deal.

My only problem with Calipari is that I wish he was a little better at closing the deal. He bring in great players so I have to figure the problem is strategy when he gets to the highest level of basketball competition against the best coaches in the NCAA tournament.

Last edited:
Nobody I'd rather have than Cal.

Last year hurt. A lot. It was a terrible missed opportunity, and I don't think Cal had his best game as a bench coach in the F4.

Having said that, he has already proven he is more than capable of winning it all, and he has us in the title discussion pretty much every single season. How fans can ask for more than that is baffling to me.

We've got the best in the business sitting on our bench. Period.

He was a terrible bench coach when he took the 2011 squad led by Brandon Knight and JOSH HARRELLSON to the final four and 1 game away from the national championship game.

Look, I understand if you want to question his bench coaching and the offensive sets that he runs. Honestly, it pisses me off at times as the offense looks extremely stagnant. That being said, I wouldn't want any other coach on our bench. It takes a combination of talent, coaching, and luck, to bring in a national championship.

Also, that must mean that Steve Fisher, coach at Michigan with the fab 5, was the worst bench coach in the history of sport. You can't tell me Duke or North Carolina had more talent than them when they beat them.

Reactions: brianpoe
IMO talent can get you to the elite 8 but by that time the talent has pretty much caught up to you and you must then show your bench coach ability. The great bench coaches are able to close the deal. Tell; me truthfully are you not just a little doubtful that Calipari is a great bench coach with all of the talent he has had and him only having one National Championship. Heck it seems almost half of the players in the NBA played for him and only a few won NCs. I am beginning to think that it is true that getting players to the NBA is more important to him than winning NCs at UK.

I detest Ratface at Duke but he is a heck of a bench coach and when he has the talent to get to the elite 8 he seems able to close the deal.

My only problem with Calipari is that I wish he was a little better at closing the deal. He bring in great players so I have to figure the problem is strategy when he gets to the highest level of basketball competition against the best coaches in the NCAA tournament.

Okay, fine. So which coach is great? Coach K and who? Who fits your incredibly ridiculous and arbitrary standard?

Brad Stevens got to two final games and lost both. Is he a good coach? Because once you're to the elite 8 you have to show your ability and the great ones close the deal. Is Bo Ryan a great coach? He lost in the Final 4 and title game the last two seasons. Is Tom Izzo a great coach? He has just one title at Michigan State, lost in the Final 4 this year.

So, who? Coach K, Wooden, and the almighty Jim Calhoun? Is that the list of great coaches in history or are you just whining and making up rules that can't and don't consistently apply to anyone?

Forget past years, this upcoming season, we better play fast and run, run and run some more. You have 3 guards who can penetrate, dish and create at an elite level.

If our offensive pace is ranked in the hundreds again, I might break my tv. Stop slowing down the game.

I'm actually going to give a calm rational response to an obviouly incendiary post.
A team is what wins championships. This is the primary object that accomplishes this goal.
Talent, skills, athleticism, experience are all attributes that the members of the team need to have, in certain degrees, to function in their various roles on the team. However, as with all teams it takes time and familiarity to understand not only your role but that of your teammate as well. With basically team members rotating in and out each year the question should be how has Cal been so succesful these past 6 years on talent alone when the current theory is it takes several years for team to mesh? Was he selected as COY based only on recruiting?

Reactions: Joerupp
Wasn't Cliff Alexander before he arrived on campus?

How about that development of Wayne Selden?

Do I need to mention Josh Selby?

@twocoach

Kentucky-Championship-Picture-27.jpg

Wasn't Cliff Alexander before he arrived on campus?

How about that development of Wayne Selden?

Do I need to mention Josh Selby?
Yeah, Selden, Cliff, the Harrison twins, Dakari, Montrezl Harrell and Chris Walker were all first round picks in the first mock drafts for 2015. Maybe that simply means that mock drafts aren't very accurate outside of about 1 month before the draft.

Lets just go back to the Tubby and BCG years then folks!o_O Cal will win some more titles here.

Okay, fine. So which coach is great? Coach K and who? Who fits your incredibly ridiculous and arbitrary standard?

Brad Stevens got to two final games and lost both. Is he a good coach? Because once you're to the elite 8 you have to show your ability and the great ones close the deal. Is Bo Ryan a great coach? He lost in the Final 4 and title game the last two seasons. Is Tom Izzo a great coach? He has just one title at Michigan State, lost in the Final 4 this year.

So, who? Coach K, Wooden, and the almighty Jim Calhoun? Is that the list of great coaches in history or are you just whining and making up rules that can't and don't consistently apply to anyone?

Are you honestly comparing the talent on any of Brad Stevens Butler teams to the mega talent that Cal has had at UK? Are you really comparing the talent on this years Wisconsin team to the talent that Calipari had at his disposal? My statement was when they had the talent. Heck year in year out Calipari has more talent than almost any other team. What I am questioning is why can he not close the deal when year in and year out he likely has equal or better talent than any other team in college basketball.

Please do not play the young and inexperience card. If you go that route as Calipari does every year. you can not use inexperience as an excuse.

Calipari is what he is a great recruiter and I mean great recruiter that can bring them in. He is however not a great bench coach. IMO sometimes his strategy is just puzzling, he is inflexible, refuses to use some weapons at his disposal, and if he doesn't use scouting reports to plan strategy as has been said on this board just plain hard headed.

All of that said I have not said he isn't a keeper. Bringing in the talent is the major part of being a successful coach.

There is no one I'd rather have than Cal; he's given us a great run, and it isn't over.

That said, I felt like he did blunder in the FF by not putting Ulis in at crunch time. IMO, if Ulis runs the point during the last say, five minutes, we win and advance. If he did indeed tell Andrew to dribble out the shot clock....that was a huge error, again, IMHO. However, each of us make mistakes in our respective careers, and coaches are no different. So, given everything Cal HAS given us, I say he's a keeper.[thumb2]

It's not a championship he didn't win, it was a freaking tournament.

Kentucky by far was the best team in the country last season and had the most impressive season hands down. No fluke loss in a single elimination tournament changes that. It's like the regular season didn't exist. What is the point of the regular season? 38-1 folks. Its like everyone forgot.

Reactions: BurpinTurpin
I guess if you overlook Cal's total work you might label him a poor coach because of one game. Take one hell of a lot of overlooking however and it would have to be deliberate and with malice.

That's the kind of junk is usually featured on the UL site.

Other teams have great players, great coaches, and want to win just as badly as we do. There are never any guarantees in a one game and you're out format.

All I know is that we've been in the hunt every year Cal has been here except for the Noel injury season. We've been in a lot better position year-to-year with Cal than we were the 10 years before he got here and we are the most relevant program in college basketball in spite of having to deal with a biased sports media that will never treat us as one of their protected darlings.

Believe what you want to believe but that's the truth and that's reality.
Hit it right on the head sir, good response:fistbump:[thumb2]

Are you honestly comparing the talent on any of Brad Stevens Butler teams to the mega talent that Cal has had at UK? Are you really comparing the talent on this years Wisconsin team to the talent that Calipari had at his disposal? My statement was when they had the talent. Heck year in year out Calipari has more talent than almost any other team. What I am questioning is why can he not close the deal when year in and year out he likely has equal or better talent than any other team in college basketball.

Please do not play the young and inexperience card. If you go that route as Calipari does every year. you can not use inexperience as an excuse.

Calipari is what he is a great recruiter and I mean great recruiter that can bring them in. He is however not a great bench coach. IMO sometimes his strategy is just puzzling, he is inflexible, refuses to use some weapons at his disposal, and if he doesn't use scouting reports to plan strategy as has been said on this board just plain hard headed.

All of that said I have not said he isn't a keeper. Bringing in the talent is the major part of being a successful coach.

I'll agree with this. Cal still has plenty of time to win another championship or two but when you have a team with talent that is far superior to everyone else you should win the NC more than once and I think he'll get this done. GBB.

I haven't had a chance to see all the reviews or responses on the board after the draft, or if anyone has touched on this, but is Booker another "Cal milestone"......another one of his player first records? Is Booker the first NBA lottery pick ever that wasn't even a starter on his college team? You could throw in Lyles as a second lottery pick that was a backup when the season began. Think about it.

Yeah K losing to Mercer and LeHigh show how just having talent means you breeze to the elite 8. Good God man.

Put us on opposite side of the bracket and results might be different. The new pod system sucks. Same teams with success playing each other in the tourney year after year.

Tubby couldn't sniff a final four after the first one. We were salivating over 8th graders with Gillespie. Just last week some were saying our class sucked before we got Murray even tho we had a top two class that would put the former three coaches to shame in recruiting. A final four almost every year he has been here but some complain he isn't on a John wooden run like in the 60s when it was easier to win. Could,you imagine if any of his teams stayed around like hey did back then??? Do you think John wall and cousins would lose as juniors or Davis.
The last game sucked , I get that. But the same ones that criticized every post that said 40-0 were the same people that can't believe it didn't happen. Until we got so close hardly anyone believed it was a possibility. It almost happened. cal came close with camby, rose and Davis . Looking back I see why it's his goal. He has come close with lesser teams (u mass and Memphis)great player(Davis) and great classes(last year). I will take being in the hunt every year than what's going on a couple,hours down the road

Last edited:
This is so dumb and i'm so freaking tired of it.

OK, so you have stated your complaint....what's your solution? What do you want to happen? You aren't happy wit Cal, so you want him gone and you want who exactly to come in and take his place? C'mon, what's your strategy? Because the past 6 years have been sssooooooo terrible...only the greatest run of wins, FF, players, media exposure, NC's we've experienced IN THE HISTORY OF THIS PROGRAM.

:chairshot::flush::uzi:[eyeroll]

Hire a bench coach with expertise in X's and O's, and scouting opponents. The way we took the air out of the ball in the last 6 minutes against Wiscy was ridiculous, and never should have happened. The way Huggins stifled our offense with that 1-3-1 should have never happened. He's had teams that he's refused to address FT shootng with (thinking talent would prevail) and it's cost him titles (Memphis in 2008 for example). These are all things that are avoidable and fixable. Cal can recruit, and he can manage ego's...but he still has a way to go in terms of scouting, X's and O's, and in-game adjustments. He's been coaching for 30+ years and still hasn't figured some of these things out, so hire an Assistant that will.

Reactions: CUT-NETS

So then you just made up that completely arbitrary standard, which basically no one meets, and apply it only to Cal? That's what I thought.

I haven't had a chance to see all the reviews or responses on the board after the draft, or if anyone has touched on this, but is Booker another "Cal milestone"......another one of his player first records? Is Booker the first NBA lottery pick ever that wasn't even a starter on his college team? You could throw in Lyles as a second lottery pick that was a backup when the season began. Think about it.

I think Marvin Williams came off the bench for UNC and went 2nd. Waiters came off the bench for Syracuse and went 4th.

That's off the top of my head. Those guys may have started at times - not sure. Would be interesting to see how many college players who never started a game went in the lottery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT