ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: How will UK logistically handle a Thurs night game?

ukgrad2004

Senior
Jun 14, 2009
I apologize if this topic has already been discussed at length. I've spent most of the last few months on the basketball board. However, I do remember that before the '15 schedule came out, lots of folks on here said there was no way possible that UK could host a Thursday night home game. Marquee opponent + Keeneland + student vehicles still in the K lot = a traffic nightmare of epic proportions, I would imagine.

Has any news come out about how UK plans to handle what has the blueprint to be a logistical mess?

18s0znust4qbrjpg.jpg

My guess is poorly. They have trouble keeping the same entrance & exit lanes/procedures week to week for Saturday games.

UK has long maintained that they could never have a weeknight game because of parking, but when it was announced, Mitch said they had been trying to get one for years (go figure). Anyhow, I think it will do UK some good to actually have to sit down and do some logistical planning around football, rather than just let things organically happen.

Originally posted by WildCard:

Originally posted by JasonS.:
wink.r191677.gif

Peace
Agree on both points.

However the towing yards are a good place to buy a good used car if you are willing to gamble a little bit.

Do you think mitch will handle it like jurich does, just cancell any classes that might get in the way? After all, what is more important here.

Dozens of schools across the nation can do it. Surely to goodness UK can do it for the sport that's revenues drive the university and pay most everyone's salaries.

I'm expecting a mess. Anyone that's been in Lexington during a normal weekday can tell you how much gridlock can occur just from bad infrastructure and overpopulation of a city that was never built to see the amount of people it sees daily. Now throw in a football game on top of that. But don't worry, the city of Louisville has the Derby so it will be fine. At least that's what one poster said back in the early part of the offseason when this game was announced.he said Lexington could and would take care of this.

Originally posted by jnewc2:
Dozens of schools across the nation can do it. Surely to goodness UK can do it for the sport that's revenues drive the university and pay most everyone's salaries.
Of course they can do it. I have always been amused at the litany of reasons from the fan base as to why they can't do it.
laugh.r191677.gif

Peace

Looks like its the AU game, pretty cool game to have on a weeknight. One thing you can be sure of it can be a speed limit drive from the Alabama state line to a parking place within 5 min walking distance of their seat and they will complain about how bad traffic is and how poorly organized the logistics were, that's if they win. Beat their sorry tails and then UK will become the worst fanbase they have ever seen by spitting on them, cursing them, keying their vehicles and disrespecting their females. We been playing them since the late 1800's and its the same everytime we beat them, once they turned the fire hoses on us at their place after we beat them, team, cheerleaders, fans, everybody. Classy bunch, but can't really expect much better from them considering 80% of them are still mad about having to attend their fall back school because they didn't get accepted to Bama, UGA, UF, Troy, UAB or whoever it is, academics were so bad they were within a semester of losing their accrediation a few years back. So, just in case you have guessed, they aren't my favorite team, lol. Library had a fire and burnt both coloring books and melted all their crayons, but they got a steel frame to roll with toilet paper after every win. Send them back down 75 crying and whining.

Originally posted by Grumpyolddawg:
Looks like its the AU game, pretty cool game to have on a weeknight.

Beat their sorry tails and then UK will become the worst fanbase they have ever seen by spitting on them, cursing them, keying their vehicles and disrespecting their females.
Wait...... Real teams play on Saturday right? That's been the mantra for Cat fans for years. Now Mitch says they've been trying for years to GET a weeknight game?

It does seem like I've heard the second part before but not sure it was AU fans. ;)

FWIW I think the weeknight games are fun and IMO Thursday night is best. Friday night should be reserved for high school but as long as espn is making money they'll do whatever they want.

sadly I have little confidence in the city government or local leaders to properly plan for and execute this event. UK classes would have to be canceled for the afternoon, maybe the day. Pay current UK students who use Commonwealth for parking to find alternative spots for the day.

calling off school that Thurs-Fri would make a lot of sense

What this event needs is the entire city & university to come together and realize tremendous sacrifices and hard work are needed for the whole community in order for this to not be a miserable disaster.

the kind of thing the city & eggheads at the University are incapable of doing sadly.

Pretty simple, although it has been a closely guarded secret so far.

ESPN will have their football set completed by then, great lighting, sound effects (crowd roars piped in, etc), with some of the more historic announcing sound bites pieced together to describe the action. Unfortunately due to space constraints the field will only be 50 yards long, and when the ball gets to the 50 yard line the runners goal line will be the one he left, which will make it hard to outrun the defense, but will increase the action tremendously. And also, due to time constraints, the second quarter will be deleted.

But every football fan should be happy, there will be a triple header every night, with Tuesday morning reserved for a high school triple header-----if there are six high school teams left..

All of the big football programs will be happy because in order to get this on ESPN is replacing the NCAA, and the contracts will pay the Universities trillions.

And, after all, isn't MONEY the real purpose of college athletics in today's world?

I work at UK, and I am asking for those days off. The students and staff use most of the parking lots each day, how they work around that I don't know. How everyone who works on campus, nearly 10k people, will be able to get to their cars and out of the way, will be interesting. I am looking forward to the game, but I am not driving in that mess.

UK needs to release its employees and call off classes as of 12:00 pm on Thursday . Any cars still in football lots by 2 :00 pm will be towed.

Lots open for tailgating at four pm. Don't see how it works otherwise .

My biggest concern would be the number of UK fans that travel from all over the state to attend games. I would guess a lot of fans from western Kentucky will have trouble getting to a Thursday game. Maybe they all take Thursday and Friday off.

has anyone been to a Thursday night college game? I would think a lot of fans would like to arrive at noonish to tailgate, some earlier...and tailgate the whole day...so those parking lots would need to be open to the tailgaters...orange, blue, purple, green, red, etc

This will be a traffic, parking and logistics nightmare if classes aren't cancelled on Thursday. Between Nicholasville Road, Richmond Road, Tates Creek, and Alumni at rush hour, just getting TO the stadium will be an achievement in and of itself.

I'm thinking of parking at the Horse Park & renting a horse for the rent of the way. I'll use my parking pass for the grass part of the lot so he can munch while I'm in the game. Staying on on the way back could be an issue.

Wait...... Real teams play on Saturday right? That's been the mantra for Cat fans for years. Now Mitch says they've been trying for years to GET a weeknight game?

It does seem like I've heard the second part before but not sure it was AU fans. ;)

FWIW I think the weeknight games are fun and IMO Thursday night is best. Friday night should be reserved for high school but as long as espn is making money they'll do whatever they want.

Swing and a miss. Come back to us when UK is playing on Tues, Wed or Friday nights.

Thursday has been a college football night for well over 20 years. Those other nights have been pure gimmicks created by mid-major conferences desperate to get teams on TV.

Wow. Is this the first ever Thursday night game in college football history? Or have there been a few like it before?

Just because it's the 1st one here doesn't mean it will be a disaster. I'm sure UK will communicate with other SEC schools that hosted a Thursday night game and learn what works and what does not.

Why wouldn't the city's leaders see this as an opportunity to have a big weekend in Lex? While some see the impending problems , and there will be complications, it seems this could be a very exciting and profitable weekend.

Other schools and cities have dealt with big time Thursday night Football. Our leaders should be saying, "Whatever other schools and cities can do, we can do better". The mayor should have a committee working on this right now.

This game occurs during the Keeneland fall meet. Sounds like some shuttle busses would be in order for those who might want to take in the races and the game, and ease the parking pressure just a little as well.

Other schools and cities have dealt with big time Thursday night Football. Our leaders should be saying, "Whatever other schools and cities can do, we can do better". The mayor should have a committee working on this right now.

Mayor of that city can't prevent criminals from pillaging and killing UK students, why in the world would you think he would embrace and celebrate a big college football evening for UK? City is doing nothing, and will do nothing up until the last second - and then they will bitch and moan about the inconvenience, the problems, the added costs.

There's a really, really simple solution. Give students and faculty the day off. I mean how hard is that one?

This game occurs during the Keeneland fall meet. Sounds like some shuttle busses would be in order for those who might want to take in the races and the game, and ease the parking pressure just a little as well.
Shuttle buses from Keeneland to Commonwealth have been in place now for several years now for folks who want to park at Keeneland take in the races, and go to the game as well. That is not the issue. The issue is how the University is going to handle the parking situation on campus and the surrounding neighborhoods on a weeknight.

ADVERTISEMENT