ADVERTISEMENT

shouldn't Poythress be considered a 4th year junior this season?

Dec 5, 2007
Lexington
if i recall correctly, last year, due to the timing of the injury and # of games played, the season didn't count... i remember hearing about that, or maybe i'm crazy?? anyway, i haven't heard anyone talk about it. if so. wouldn't he be a junior as far as eligibility? it might no matter anyway because i think he might even already have his degree... but on the other hand, looking at one of the mock drafts, he is #59 currently. depending on the kind of year he has, could we see Alex back as a 5th year senior in 2016-17?

Due to the limited games he;s eligible for a medical redshirt. I think you can apply for it when your 4 yrs are done.

So its correct to label him a SR.

Theres 0% he returns for a 5th season. If he gets hurt again, he'll just cut his loses.

He'd ha
if i recall correctly, last year, due to the timing of the injury and # of games played, the season didn't count... i remember hearing about that, or maybe i'm crazy?? anyway, i haven't heard anyone talk about it. if so. wouldn't he be a junior as far as eligibility? it might no matter anyway because i think he might even already have his degree... but on the other hand, looking at one of the mock drafts, he is #59 currently. depending on the kind of year he has, could we see Alex back as a 5th year senior in 2016-17?
He'd have to apply for a medical redshirt.. Far as I know he hasn't.. I think it's gotta be done by the following fall semester? But I don't see him doing it myself.. What do I know though?

Due to the limited games he;s eligible for a medical redshirt. I think you can apply for it when your 4 yrs are done.

Theres 0% he returns for a 5th season. If he gets hurt again, he'll just cut his loses.

what if after this season he still isn't a first round pick? why would he not come back for a 5th year then? maybe his upside is never a first rounder.. but still...

Next yrs draft is going to be extremely weak, prolly his best chance at 1st round. Hell i may even apply myself..

Reactions: brianpoe
what if after this season he still isn't a first round pick? why would he not come back for a 5th year then? maybe his upside is never a first rounder.. but still...

He's old + a undersized PF without skill. His chances of becoming a 1st round pick are about done. His main worry should be getting drafted.

Returning for a 5th yr won't do much but continue to damage his stock because hell be an extra yr older.

This draft isn't as strong as the last 2, but its weakness has gotten a bit overblown.

Why didn't DJ and the Harrisons come back? Why didn't Lamb come back? I mean I can go on. Why didn't Liggins and Meeks come back? I digress.

The only upside to AP coming back for a 5th year would be for him to finish his Master's degree (which I am assuming he is starting this year?). AP is a very serious student. If I had busted my ass and graduated in 3 years it would very tempting for me to just say I wanted to "add on another major" and take easy classes this year while mainly focusing on basketball.

I'm guessing that Poythress mind is on keeping his options open. Right now, he's a senior athlete, graduate student. At the end of the year, he could opt for the draft, finish his masters and go to work or opt to return to finish his masters and apply for another year based on his junior year injury and limited games. As one or two others have said, Poythress is a serious student and I'm guessing the NBA is not the only thing on his various career paths.

Personally, I'd like nothing better than to see him return for his fourth year. I really enjoy watching him play. Also, there would be a certain level of prestige having what might be a PHD candidate on the roster that is a key contributor. Can you imagine a few years from now when they show returning players, having him identified on national TV as Dr. Poythress while listing contributions for KY basketball.

Kind of reminds me of Bob Guyette, http://www.guyettesurgery.com/about-the-practice/about-dr-guyette. Now tell me that isn't the coolest thing you ever saw. I would be absolutely thrilled for Alex Poythress to leave that sort of legacy to KY basketball.

You can only apply for an medical hardship waiver after your initial eligibility expires. So Poythress can apply for a 5th year after the 2016 season is over. Whether he will want to is an entirely different question.

I agree with you, but I have a real question to ask you. Are you going to spend the majority of your posts telling this board how inferior AP's skillset is for a potential first round pick like you did with Andrew Harrison?

You can only apply for an medical hardship waiver after your initial eligibility expires. So Poythress can apply for a 5th year after the 2016 season is over. Whether he will want to is an entirely different question.

No, that is incorrect. That is the old rule. You now have to apply after the season in which the injury occurred is completed.

ADVERTISEMENT