ADVERTISEMENT

Should we be concerned about all the decommits?

PensacolaBlue

Blue Chip Prospect
Nov 26, 2022
3 in one week I think. Don’t know anything about these guys so not sure whether to be concerned or not. Are these Woodward recruits? Is there more going on behind the scenes and this is more of a mutual thing? Are we too concerned about the portal and are dropping the ball with the high school guys? Doesn’t seem like half of our high school recruits pan out so I’m thinking this is nothing to be worried about personally. We’re not talking about big time recruits.

Last edited:
It seems we are much more effective in getting top level talent from the portal compared to recruiting guys straight out of high school, so I'm not going to overly worry about losing a few 3 star high school guys.

Losing coaches and the portal changes are going to make commitments more fluid until they sign. Its just a sign of the ever evolving NCAA landscape.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I feel like even though this isn't something you want, it's something literally every program is dealing with right now with the portal, NIL, etc

Doesn’t seem like half of our high school recruits pan out so I’m thinking this is nothing to be worried about personally. We’re not talking about big time recruits.
You nailed it perfectly. In 2 years they know if a kid will be an SEC player or not. Of not they are encouraged to leave and their roster spot replaced by a portal tfer from another power 5 school. Yeah probably not more than 50% of a class will get to Jr yr/3rd, not anymore.

Groves is from a small HS in TN, saw his state championship game and while he looks pretty athletic he didn't play with much effort. Thought he was several years away from helping, maybe as much as 3. Lanky, pretty thin. Has 2 younger brothers who will probably get a shot in a couple of years but I suspect UK wasn't going to recruit them, hence his decommitment.

Don't know much about Cowan other than his half-brother is at UK. Here's the thing with Cowan...why would any defensive player want to play for Riley? Riley cares not one iota about defense, that's what's holding him back and it shows with his results.

The OL flipping to BC was "mutual." I'm not concerned about that.

Now the question becomes: What does UK do with those 3 scholarships, HS or portal?

Reactions: JasonRDunn
I think the southern cal DE feels like the first one they truly lost. Imo the others were let go. Who knows though. After these players are seeing coen not even flirting with another opportunity, our recruiting is taking off like crazy

Groves is from a small HS in TN, saw his state championship game and while he looks pretty athletic he didn't play with much effort. Thought he was several years away from helping, maybe as much as 3. Lanky, pretty thin. Has 2 younger brothers who will probably get a shot in a couple of years but I suspect UK wasn't going to recruit them, hence his decommitment.

Don't know much about Cowan other than his half-brother is at UK. Here's the thing with Cowan...why would any defensive player want to play for Riley? Riley cares not one iota about defense, that's what's holding him back and it shows with his results.

The OL flipping to BC was "mutual." I'm not concerned about that.

Now the question becomes: What does UK do with those 3 scholarships, HS or portal?
Probably go best available as to need. Maybe skill player= portal, O or D lineman high school

I mean its' a hard question....but so long as it's not these guys...I'm not too worried

1. Bolley....we need to get this QB development ironed out IMO. But on other hand, does feel like there will usually be a high rated kid at bigger school that ain't QB1....we can just go live off that tree.
2. Brian Robinson and Smith twins.....those guys look like they'll play this year and next year up front and be potential impact players.
3. Teryon Nichols....we need CBs badly on the roster

The rest....feels like you can just as easily go get a transfer down the road vs. develop your own kids anymore. After the way the Wade twins up and left for no real reason for Keaton.... Keaton was set up to be our main Jack backer for 2-3 years at SEC school...and he played alot in 2023. So we did all the right things and he still leaves.....this has to damper any teams leaning to HS recruits.

The class is definitely LB heavy. Seems like the room was too crowded for some.

3 in one week I think. Don’t know anything about these guys so not sure whether to be concerned or not. Are these Woodward recruits? Is there more going on behind the scenes and this is more of a mutual thing? Are we too concerned about the portal and are dropping the ball with the high school guys? Doesn’t seem like half of our high school recruits pan out so I’m thinking this is nothing to be worried about personally. We’re not talking about big time recruits.
If you are concerned, you are concerned. I am not. Decommits are part of recruiting. Happens every year to every team. Groves and Cowan would have played here, but Redd and Jacob Smith are nice players. I liked Cowan's film but I like Redd's film too. Lafontant probably won't be missed.

However, there is a caveat. It is time for Tyreese Fearbry to step up. Fearbry was a premium recruit, and his time has come. And I will not be surprised if another LB is taken out of the portal or because of a late flip.

Reactions: yoshukai
It's almost signing day. Lots of action taking place, bigger NIL deals being thrown out, players having 2nd thoughts, coaches feel a better kid wants to come and spots have to open up. Of the decommits it's most likely no one here knows if it was the kid or coaches wanting to go in a different direction.

Reactions: mrschwump
If you are concerned, you are concerned. I am not. Decommits are part of recruiting. Happens every year to every team. Groves and Cowan would have played here, but Redd and Jacob Smith are nice players. I liked Cowan's film but I like Redd's film too. Lafontant probably won't be missed.

However, there is a caveat. It is time for Tyreese Fearbry to step up. Fearbry was a premium recruit, and his time has come. And I will not be surprised if another LB is taken out of the portal or because of a late flip.
Also need continued development by Noah Matthews. He and Fearbry have a huge opportunity before them.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Also need continued development by Noah Matthews. He and Fearbry have a huge opportunity before them.
Yes. Ultimately, the Jack LB position may be manned by Fearbry, Matthews, Redd, and Jacob Smith. All four are capable of being SEC edge players. But I think Fearbry got lost in the shuffle a little bit even though he was a quality recruit with a long frame and a nice offer sheet.

BRob is up to 270#, so he is a DE unless he loses >20# for the deliberate purpose of playing Jack LB.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
I thought I read that we were moving toward a 4 man front with a Josh Allen type rush end. That may be the reason for the change in recruiting focus.

Reactions: Blue832
I mean how could you resist playing in Southern California. The smell of homeless people shit on every corner must be luring.
Palm trees, 🌴 sunny ☀️ weather cheerleaders, beach, yea that’s what I see. But for a boy from the South, that’s a long way from home and family. My guess is once he comes down off that cloud, he winds up closer to home.

What did it used to mean?
Are you really being serious? HS recruiting was where 90% of your team came from, and you developed depth, etc. Now, half of the starters of any given team (maybe not Georgia, Bama, Michigan, and a few of their peers) may come from the portal, while half of the signees transfer out after a year or two or three. Not the same at all as it was just a few years ago.

We might flip a kid back by the signing period, once these kids see them being recruited over in the portal.

Hoping they will all be upgrades.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT