ADVERTISEMENT

Should Student Loans Be Forgiven or Enforced?

College is insanely expensive. And I have yet to see a good reason why. My education 30-35 years ago was good. The cost at the same schools is now 10x as high. Total inflation has not been anywhere close to 10x over those 30-35 years.

Here's some math for you...
  1. Suppose tuition is $50K per year (many schools charge that much)
  2. That breaks down to $25K per semester
  3. Let's say a semester is 16 weeks
  4. Let's say you take 15 credits per semester
  5. Let's say each class is 3 credits
  6. Let's say each class is in session for 3 hours per week
  7. Let's say each class contains 20 people (it's usually a lot higher, but let's assume)
  8. The revenue per class for the school is $2,083.
  9. Each student pays $104 per class hour
Now let's assume that class is basic algebra, chemistry, physics, etc. In NO world (even pre-ChatGPT) is that a good deal given the technology available. Yet college isn't adjusting at all. It blows my mind.

Reactions: bradbounds
But how would you know? I assume that there are more than a few bots on message boards (perhaps this one) given that they are probably using this as a training model.

The only reason I post here is to call people I disagree with stupid in the political thread. If I find out the lefties truly are just a bunch of mindless bots that can’t feel bad about themselves as opposed to just assuming they are, it will take any remaining enjoyment out of it.

The only reason I post here is to call people I disagree with stupid in the political thread. If I find out the lefties truly are just a bunch of mindless bots that can’t feel bad about themselves as opposed to just assuming they are, it will take any remaining enjoyment out of it.
This is what a bot would say. You’ve become self aware.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Funny you mention that my i know a kid that is going thru an internship with habitat for humanity and is in community college and aspires to be a welder and it pays 100k and they are begging to fill these jobs!

Maybe people should quit listening to what society thinks is normal and not go to an overpriced college with no guarantee of a job?
Anecdotes are cute but for the rest of us, college is overpriced regardless of where you go. Lower the cost of a college education that way whenever student loan payment pauses end, our economy doesn't collapse because people are trying to pay off their debt on top of all of their other expenses.

College is insanely expensive. And I have yet to see a good reason why. My education 30-35 years ago was good. The cost at the same schools is now 10x as high. Total inflation has not been anywhere close to 10x over those 30-35 years.
It's because there's no good reason, we're sending people into poverty so that the people at the top of these institutions can have money roll into their bank accounts with no end in sight. Almost like every other industry in this country.

Reactions: Wildcatsworld
It's because there's no good reason, we're sending people into poverty so that the people at the top of these institutions can have money roll into their bank accounts with no end in sight. Almost like every other industry in this country.

Please tell me what other industries in this country are selling products for hundreds of thousands of dollars with zero accountability or results to stupid young adults who take out guaranteed financing that cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.

I would love to get in on that grift, but unfortunately the college education system seems pretty unique.

Anecdotes are cute but for the rest of us, college is overpriced regardless of where you go. Lower the cost of a college education that way whenever student loan payment pauses end, our economy doesn't collapse because people are trying to pay off their debt on top of all of their other expenses.
Again it’s a sham - what kind of ROI is there on a full 4 year college degree for 90% of folks not to mention most gigs these days want those magic letters next to it like mba!

Yes if you go to law school/med school you eventually come out ahead but generally industries that pay well are dying for employees b/c it’s unconventional so it’s not necessarily an anecdote but these people that go to universities think they are too good for certain jobs.

I agree. Joe Biden and the left like to attack corporations for making too much money. Why don’t those same people come down hard on universities? Set a cap on tuition, make universities reduce tuition, tuition goes down if inflation is up, etc. Universities think like joe so they will never be questioned and thus nothing will ever change.

Please tell me what other industries in this country are selling products for hundreds of thousands of dollars with zero accountability or results to stupid young adults who take out guaranteed financing that cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.

I would love to get in on that grift, but unfortunately the college education system seems pretty unique.
My argument was that our system was, is, and will continue to operate to make the rich richer and the poor poorer, relax.

I agree. Joe Biden and the left like to attack corporations for making too much money. Why don’t those same people come down hard on universities? Set a cap on tuition, make universities reduce tuition, tuition goes down if inflation is up, etc. Universities think like joe so they will never be questioned and thus nothing will ever change.
So you're arguing that we should give the government more control over public/private life? I'm all for that but that seems very anti-conservative to me. Also, I feel the need to say that Joe Biden is not your enemy.

I have no idea why the GOP doesn't hammer the universities. They universities all hate the GOP anyway.

My argument was that our system was, is, and will continue to operate to make the rich richer and the poor poorer, relax.
Right and you pointed out universities, so that’s why I went there with those rich people getting richer. And again Biden says that is wrong so he should do something about it.

So you're arguing that we should give the government more control over public/private life? I'm all for that but that seems very anti-conservative to me. Also, I feel the need to say that Joe Biden is not your enemy.
They want control and over the corporations who are making “too much money”, so I’m just saying Biden and company should treat all the same. Why do universities get exempt from being called out by Biden and company?

They want control and over the corporations who are making “too much money”, so I’m just saying Biden and company should treat all the same. Why do universities get exempt from being called out by Biden and company?
He's advocated for free college in some instances, lower tuition, canceling student debt, etc. He's done plenty imo

-Matteo, you stumbled upon a good point...now you're parsing/backing away because? Team politics.

-the federal government co-opting higher ed is *the* issue. Remove federal guarantees and add bankruptcy protection to student borrowers...and costs will drop over night. It is *the* answer.

-too many kids going to school now...the feds have created unlimited demand...and the institutions are taking advantage...to put it lightly, raping families/young people is prolly a better way to say it.

Unfortunately for you poors, the gap is going to get even wider in the near term.

The teachers unions and college administrators are going to cling to the past and fight AI. Meanwhile, the haves are going to send their kids to schools valuing coding and prompt engineering as an important piece of education. The haves will also have more universal access to technology while you public school people are spending all your money or your drag show decorations and giving union members more time off.

Biden refuses to negotiate about the debt ceiling and cutting some spending. Forget about student loans, the debt of this country will sink the future for current college students if government is not controlled.

Meanwhile, federal politicians become millionaires.

It is directly caused by federal student loan programs. No one in their right mind would ever loan an 18 year old $50k+/yr for four years to get some nonsense liberal arts degree in lefthanded puppetry or whatever unless (a) that loan could not be bankrupted and (2) the federal government guarantees its repayment when the borrower inevitably can't meet the payment terms.

That has caused an obscene skyrocketing of costs with no end in sight unless the federal government gets out of the business completely which, again, will never happen because too many universities have too much political power to ever allow that to happen.
Isn't it amazing how the Government never seems to understand that the market will react to whatever actions it takes. There are always side effects. Markets will adapt. You raise the demand for any product and result is higher prices. The same thing has happened with healthcare. Insurance that creates low marginal costs for using services raises the demand for those service which in turn raises the cost. Government seems to think it operates outside the laws of markets. It just shows how brain dead stupid many politicians are and how easily manipulated many voters are who are dying to have someone provide them with a free ride somewhere along the way. The best thing that could happen to this country is to require economics classes as a part of the curriculum for every high school student.

college is overpriced regardless of where you go.

We agree on something. Who is to blame, because college was at one time affordable? The colleges raped the students once the feds passed Title IV.

Who should pay for that atrocity? Apparently not the colleges. 🤦‍♂️

There’s only so much executive action can help. You also need Congress to get anything of substance passed, clearly.
Yep, answered as I thought. Just as they are doing with border crisis today and everything else right now. Their answer is to always blame house republicans or trump.

If you actually think Biden is doing a good job, you likely lack the mental capacity to legally enter into any other contract besides a student loan.

Yep, answered as I thought. Just as they are doing with border crisis today and everything else right now. Their answer is to always blame house republicans or trump.
It’s almost like it doesn’t take much brain power to think of the concept of balance of powers as an argument for why we don’t have a tyrannical king in charge of our country.

It is directly caused by federal student loan programs. No one in their right mind would ever loan an 18 year old $50k+/yr for four years to get some nonsense liberal arts degree in lefthanded puppetry or whatever unless (a) that loan could not be bankrupted and (2) the federal government guarantees its repayment when the borrower inevitably can't meet the payment terms.

That has caused an obscene skyrocketing of costs with no end in sight unless the federal government gets out of the business completely which, again, will never happen because too many universities have too much political power to ever allow that to happen.
Do the numbers really add up to blame the cost of college directly on federal student loans? The maximum loan amount someone can take out is only $50,000.

Do the numbers really add up to blame the cost of college directly on federal student loans? The maximum loan amount someone can take out is only $50,000.

Granted mine included several years post grad but mine were multiples of that so not sure that’s entirely accurate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT