ADVERTISEMENT

Should North Carolina discontinue the phrase "The Carolina Way"

Jan 20, 2013
since 1) it seems inappropriate in view of the unfortunate investigations by the NCAA and SACS and 2) it appears to be elitist regarding the fact that there is, of course, a South Carolina.
(I'm assuming that "The Carolina Way" does not include South Carolina)

When someone unfamiliar with the phrase encounters it, one may expect a clarification as to North or South.

I would think that Virginia would never adopt "The Virginia Way" nor North Dakota "The Dakota Way." as insignias of their institutions.

Is this a "tempest in a teapot" or is there any alignment with the question....your comments are more than welcome because I have been in a dilemma with the phrase.

The term "the Carolina way," will forever be a joke no matter if they get away without major penalties. Even those high in their administration know the truth even in their denial. You can bet they won't let the fox, watch the hen house in the future.

Of course they shouldn't! And we won't either!

I mean, now that "The Carolina Way" means to cheat for decades and completely sell out any vestiges of educational integrity in a pathetic attempt to seem superior at basketball, and then try to avoid responsibility at the cost of mass firings and payouts of hush money and golden parachutes paid for by taking golden showers on the tax payers of the state... Sure, I plan to use that phrase a lot!

Germans stopped using sieg heil after ww2 when they realized how bad the Nazi regime was . UNC fans still admire their regime despite being exposed as corrupt frauds , they know their image was a lie but they want the charade to continue .

I think if the NCAA don't put major penalties on University of North Carolina, all division one program should refuse to play them for 2 years.

Reactions: c1doc and jarms24
They should. But the ones on the message board I've seen are so frickin blind they still think they're the shining beacon of goodness in the NCAA. So I doubt they will. Which will serve as a beautiful platform for the ironic onslaught of jokes to follow.

Now that we know what "The Carolina Way" is, they should keep it forever as a reminder of how they cheated for years as the NCAA turned their head. Hopefully they will get hammered and each time I hear this by one of the cheaters I will define what it means to them. Still hoping for banners to come down, hope is a good thing.

No way lol!!!! When I hear a UNC fan say the Carolina Way now I get a huge chuckle! I absolutely love how you can look at their face and tell they are deeply shamed and hurt by all of this. Like I've said for months now, no matter WHAT the NCAA does UNC will forever have the biggest black cloud over it and everyone now knows what the Carolina way realty means now so that's good enough for me!!! #UNCheat #Fraud

Reactions: brianpoe
Off course they should keep saying it!!! The whole world now knows just what the real meaning of it is..

All of the above except "tickle me Elmo" will still be touting that "way". Where is he?

Reactions: Federal Cat
They'll still say it.
  1. PR has done a good job of shielding this fiasco from the casual cult fan. Sports radio says it was rogue professors and the NCAA didn't mention basketball or Roy. They've been able to control the message. ESPN doesn't even cover it..
  2. The serious fans are too damn brainwashed to believe they did anything wrong in the first place. They'll throw on that hideous sissy blue argyle and thumb up their noses at everyone else. Life goes on.

I hope they continue to use it. I hope they are even sincere, it make all the laughing from the rest of the country even louder.

We all have to realize how biased we are in this case. It's obvious that UNC is blinded by their bias for their own team, just as opposing fans are blinded by their bias against UNC. Duke fans, Kentucky fans, and NC State fans aren't going to think rationally about UNC and what should happen to them. UNC fans aren't going to think rationally about their own team.

If the same thing was happening at Duke that was happening at UNC, you better believe the Duke fans would all be rationalizing why it's not that bad (the way UNC fans are doing now), and the UNC fans would be claiming the Duke scandal as the worst in NCAA history (even if it was the exact same as what they're going through now). That's how sports fan psychology works, people. Everyone has to realize how biased we all are in the first place.

You've got the Duke, UK, and NC State fans saying this is the worst scandal in NCAA history, and you have the UNC fans who are saying "there's nothing to see here." In reality, there's a happy medium. It's not the worst scandal in NCAA history, and it's not a "nothing to see here" situation. That's how everything is in life basically. You have the extremes on both ends yelling that their side is right, when in reality, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

No, the truth is the exact opposite of what UNC says. They've commissioned several investigations that prove this, albeit they set the parameters for each one, so the truth is actually far worse than we know.

We all have to realize how biased we are in this case. It's obvious that UNC is blinded by their bias for their own team, just as opposing fans are blinded by their bias against UNC. Duke fans, Kentucky fans, and NC State fans aren't going to think rationally about UNC and what should happen to them. UNC fans aren't going to think rationally about their own team.

If the same thing was happening at Duke that was happening at UNC, you better believe the Duke fans would all be rationalizing why it's not that bad (the way UNC fans are doing now), and the UNC fans would be claiming the Duke scandal as the worst in NCAA history (even if it was the exact same as what they're going through now). That's how sports fan psychology works, people. Everyone has to realize how biased we all are in the first place.

You've got the Duke, UK, and NC State fans saying this is the worst scandal in NCAA history, and you have the UNC fans who are saying "there's nothing to see here." In reality, there's a happy medium. It's not the worst scandal in NCAA history, and it's not a "nothing to see here" situation. That's how everything is in life basically. You have the extremes on both ends yelling that their side is right, when in reality, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

If you think it is in the middle, please give us examples of some more serious violations. What programs have committed more serious violations than UNC?

Reactions: Lumpy 2 and jarms24
the carolina WAY, is the perfect description that totally encompasses what the unccheaters program is all about.

the carolina WAY---cheat, lie, cover-up, distort, deny, pretend, pay, provide, don't educate.

The carolina WAY--------the worst of the worst---tied with woodencheater.

rr

It is now a mockery and has taken on a new meaning. Whenever the public hears "The Carolina Way" they think of a bunch of cheaters that are willing to throw their entire university under the bus in favor of a warped sense of athletic accomplishment. It will be tarnished forever so I hope they keep saying it as it keeps them firmly entrenched as the butt of a cruel joke that they brought upon themselves.

Yes keep it! Its comical at this point! "The Carolina Way" lmao!

The Carolina way should be the hook to a song. The video could be players flashing the illegal shite they receive. Scene's of empty classrooms. While some of these kids are actually living out the Jim Jones "Ballin" video.

I don't always do things the wrong way....but when I do...I do it the Carolina way.....
Lmao

Reactions: jarms24
They'll still say it.
  1. PR has done a good job of shielding this fiasco from the casual cult fan. Sports radio says it was rogue professors and the NCAA didn't mention basketball or Roy. They've been able to control the message. ESPN doesn't even cover it..
  2. The serious fans are too damn brainwashed to believe they did anything wrong in the first place. They'll throw on that hideous sissy blue argyle and thumb up their noses at everyone else. Life goes on.

The above post is the most likely the outcome if the NCAA does not hit UNCheat hard with sanctions, including vacating wins and titles. Only hardcore UK, Duke, NC State fans and a few internet reporters are even aware of this scandal. They are certainly the only ones who care. To top it off, we are not talking about college's major sport, but a minor sport that most people across the nation don't care about.

Reactions: jarms24

It was various media personnel that stated it was the worst scandal ever and they had no ties to Duke, UK, or NC State. Think about the cheating going on for 19 yrs and it's makes for the biggest scandal in history.

That is your "Carolina Way". Eat it......

When the final penalties come down it will be mainstream media picking up the story so ESPN won't be able to bury it anymore.

Over 1000 athletes mostly minority were placed in fake classes for 20 years to keep them eligible. Some received degrees from taking these classes. Is Miami worse? USC? Minnesota? UK? Georgia? Other? Enlighten us.

Did Nick the Dukie disappear? Still waiting for an example? SMU? Baylor?

Can you give us a rational reason why the NCAA didn't punish Duke in the Maggette and Thomas cases?

If they do decide to get rid of the "The Carolina Way', I'm sure that "Cheat And Proceed" is available.

35bcccw.jpg

Reactions: Adolph B. Calipari
That Nick guy is about the fakest Dukie in history. Totally a carolina fan who has paid attention.

We should change the OP title to

"Should North Carolina discontinue their use of the phrase "academic institution"?

Reactions: gjcollins79
I'm totally not in favor of them stopping use of "The Caroline Way".

After all these years, we just figured out what it meant.

The craziest thing about it is despite being exposed as a complete fraud , UNC fans still believe the lie . UNC was never at any moment who they claimed to be , it was mirage or better yet a total fabrication . In fact UNC was the polar opposite of the illusion they created and they still think that it was real . You think you were pure and a bad thing happened , in reality your school was the dirtiest in all of college that finally got caught . UNC was always cheating , your history is built on lies and your heritage was stolen .

The craziest thing about it is despite being exposed as a complete fraud , UNC fans still believe the lie . UNC was never at any moment who they claimed to be , it was mirage or better yet a total fabrication . In fact UNC was the polar opposite of the illusion they created and they still think that it was real . You think you were pure and a bad thing happened , in reality your school was the dirtiest in all of college that finally got caught . UNC was always cheating , your history is built on lies and your heritage was stolen .

To be fair, there were signs all along that something wasn't quite right in Chapel Hill for a long time.

P0080_NTBF3_006357_01.jpg

Reactions: BBUK
Over 1000 athletes mostly minority were placed in fake classes for 20 years to keep them eligible. .

That's just not true and it's the kind of sensationalism that's run amok regarding our situation. Those athletes had every opportunity to enroll in education, Pre law, drama or any other major of their choosing. They chose to go the route they did. Now, don't take that comment to mean that I support an institution offering phony majors and degrees. But pretty much every former athlete that I've heard speak to this issue has stated the same thing - a student athlete gets out what they put in. If you want to coast at any school, you can. If you want to pursue a more demanding educational experience, you can do that too. The onus is on the student. Y'all will argue that "18 year old kids can't be counted on to make those decisions and that's why athletic departments have counselors and the like". I say BS. First of all, at 18, one is an adult. You have to grow up sometime and taking responsibility for your future career path is a good way to start. Secondly, these student athletes should have someone in their life they count on to help them make decisions. If they don't, then those student athletes have to grow up a little faster. But y'all know the deal here. These ball players all think they're going on to play professionally. Only a few go to college for a "real" college experience. I know it's fun for y'all to make it sound like Carolina "took advantage of these poor, uninformed, minority teenagers" but where's the personal accountability?

I went to college. Most of y'all probably did too. Did you have someone making your decisions? Probably not. But for argument's sake, let's say that during your freshman year your academic advisor suggested you pursue a degree in Statistics. You hate statistics. Are you just going to say, "Oh well, I guess I'm doing statistics because that's what someone told me to do."? No. You took matters into your own hands. You told them what you were going to major in. You made that decision. You might have consulted with your parents, a mentor or an old high school teacher. Or you might have made that decision alone. I did. Granted, I didn't and most of you probably didn't play a sport on scholarship. But the decision is still the player's decision to make. But these players aren't looking for an education. Let's be real about that. Karl Anthony Towns seems like a very bright kid and a good student. But he wasn't looking for an education. He handled his business while he was there and for that he should be applauded. But don't act like he has a real interest in developing an in depth understanding of any one area that he plans to make a career of.

And I don't know about y'all, but I didn't learn my trade in college. I learned a lot in college. But it wasn't because of any curriculum. I learned cooperative learning. I learned time management. I learned interpersonal and social skills. But as far as my career (Human Services), I've learned everything I know from 20 years of experience in the field. I guess some careers rely on schooling - medical field, law and maybe a few others. But many jobs don't rely on schooling. They rely on experience to teach. One of my duties in my position is to hire people. What their GPA was in college is of no concern to me. Hell, their major doesn't really matter. What matters most to me when I'm hiring is the applicant's ability and willingness to learn. Also, emotional intelligence ranks a lot higher on my list than intellectual intelligence - do you have the right personality for the job? And while you can improve both in college, the former is not dependent on curriculum. I guess the point I'm making is that college degrees are overrated in a sense. Many companies like people to come in as a blank slate so they can train them exactly how they want them without the potential hire having any preconceived habits, preferences, etc.

I know that's a long rant. But it's my thoughtful response. Many of you will do everything you can to shoot holes in my post. I get the rivalry thing. But I hope to appeal to the more level headed posters here. Again, I recognize the wrong doings that occurred. And this post doesn't seek to excuse any of that. I'm also not meaning to delve into what punishments I feel would be appropriate. I'm simply discussing my opinion of the college experience and how it relates to the workings of the real world and how the media and many rival fans have sensationalized and overstated how our student athletes have been impacted.

Gunslinger,

Some of us can be rational, especially when we choose to be. You missed a number of important issues in your post.

First, many of these kids have never had any kind of academic training or understanding. I came from a family in which I was the first person to graduate HS! I had NO idea of what college involved, how to pick a major, or how to register for classes, etc. I relied on others to do it for me. BTW, my major was a toss up between religion and education. I chose religion because the line was shorter. That is a true story!

Second, I recently had a conversation with a kid who played D-1 football. He was pressured to take a particular major because the coaching staff did not want him to focus on his studies. Didn't one of the UNC football players say that the coach told them that if they wanted an education, they should have gone to Harvard? This kind of thing is more common than you realize.

Third, UNC failed these minority kids miserably by not providing the right kind of academic support. Even if a kid wanted to learn, the systems were not in place to do remedial work. Even Bradley Bethel said that in an email to Folt. In fact, he complained in that email that many athletes had been admitted who were simply UNABLE to do college work.

Fourth, the end result of what I am saying is that you are blaming the victims. Maybe they do share some responsibility but they are still the victims. UNC has not yet fully taken responsibility for that. I find that sad.

That's just not true and it's the kind of sensationalism that's run amok regarding our situation. Those athletes had every opportunity to enroll in education, Pre law, drama or any other major of their choosing. They chose to go the route they did. Now, don't take that comment to mean that I support an institution offering phony majors and degrees. But pretty much every former athlete that I've heard speak to this issue has stated the same thing - a student athlete gets out what they put in. If you want to coast at any school, you can. If you want to pursue a more demanding educational experience, you can do that too. The onus is on the student. Y'all will argue that "18 year old kids can't be counted on to make those decisions and that's why athletic departments have counselors and the like". I say BS. First of all, at 18, one is an adult. You have to grow up sometime and taking responsibility for your future career path is a good way to start. Secondly, these student athletes should have someone in their life they count on to help them make decisions. If they don't, then those student athletes have to grow up a little faster. But y'all know the deal here. These ball players all think they're going on to play professionally. Only a few go to college for a "real" college experience. I know it's fun for y'all to make it sound like Carolina "took advantage of these poor, uninformed, minority teenagers" but where's the personal accountability?

I went to college. Most of y'all probably did too. Did you have someone making your decisions? Probably not. But for argument's sake, let's say that during your freshman year your academic advisor suggested you pursue a degree in Statistics. You hate statistics. Are you just going to say, "Oh well, I guess I'm doing statistics because that's what someone told me to do."? No. You took matters into your own hands. You told them what you were going to major in. You made that decision. You might have consulted with your parents, a mentor or an old high school teacher. Or you might have made that decision alone. I did. Granted, I didn't and most of you probably didn't play a sport on scholarship. But the decision is still the player's decision to make. But these players aren't looking for an education. Let's be real about that. Karl Anthony Towns seems like a very bright kid and a good student. But he wasn't looking for an education. He handled his business while he was there and for that he should be applauded. But don't act like he has a real interest in developing an in depth understanding of any one area that he plans to make a career of.

And I don't know about y'all, but I didn't learn my trade in college. I learned a lot in college. But it wasn't because of any curriculum. I learned cooperative learning. I learned time management. I learned interpersonal and social skills. But as far as my career (Human Services), I've learned everything I know from 20 years of experience in the field. I guess some careers rely on schooling - medical field, law and maybe a few others. But many jobs don't rely on schooling. They rely on experience to teach. One of my duties in my position is to hire people. What their GPA was in college is of no concern to me. Hell, their major doesn't really matter. What matters most to me when I'm hiring is the applicant's ability and willingness to learn. Also, emotional intelligence ranks a lot higher on my list than intellectual intelligence - do you have the right personality for the job? And while you can improve both in college, the former is not dependent on curriculum. I guess the point I'm making is that college degrees are overrated in a sense. Many companies like people to come in as a blank slate so they can train them exactly how they want them without the potential hire having any preconceived habits, preferences, etc.

I know that's a long rant. But it's my thoughtful response. Many of you will do everything you can to shoot holes in my post. I get the rivalry thing. But I hope to appeal to the more level headed posters here. Again, I recognize the wrong doings that occurred. And this post doesn't seek to excuse any of that. I'm also not meaning to delve into what punishments I feel would be appropriate. I'm simply discussing my opinion of the college experience and how it relates to the workings of the real world and how the media and many rival fans have sensationalized and overstated how our student athletes have been impacted.
Wow just wow... Fake classes do not teach you how to think or help you get ready to go out in the world to find a job. UNC*** wanted banners and it got them by ensuring its athletes stayed eligible by running a scam. Most of those athletes were minorities. If UNC*** needed those kids to play ball they should have put in place the infrastructure to help them not just pass them through or they should have not accepted them. UNC*** is supposed to be the Harvard of the south but they couldn't handle not winning on the basketball floor and sacrificed their academic reputation.

Reactions: Xception
Gunslinger,

Some of us can be rational, especially when we choose to be. You missed a number of important issues in your post.

First, many of these kids have never had any kind of academic training or understanding. I came from a family in which I was the first person to graduate HS! I had NO idea of what college involved, how to pick a major, or how to register for classes, etc. I relied on others to do it for me. BTW, my major was a toss up between religion and education. I chose religion because the line was shorter. That is a true story!

Second, I recently had a conversation with a kid who played D-1 football. He was pressured to take a particular major because the coaching staff did not want him to focus on his studies. Didn't one of the UNC football players say that the coach told them that if they wanted an education, they should have gone to Harvard? This kind of thing is more common than you realize.

Third, UNC failed these minority kids miserably by not providing the right kind of academic support. Even if a kid wanted to learn, the systems were not in place to do remedial work. Even Bradley Bethel said that in an email to Folt. In fact, he complained in that email that many athletes had been admitted who were simply UNABLE to do college work.

Fourth, the end result of what I am saying is that you are blaming the victims. Maybe they do share some responsibility but they are still the victims. UNC has not yet fully taken responsibility for that. I find that sad.

First of all, thank you for the response. I truly appreciate your tone and I'm now confident you'd like to have some civil discourse regarding this.

To your first point,...I don't know what to say other than "I'm sorry." I mean, not everyone has all the advantages that others do. I was blessed with a 2 parent home where both mom and dad were very involved and supportive. But when it came time to pick a major, I did that alone. Like I said, for those that don't have that support, then I guess they just have to grow up a little faster. But also, these kids made it through high school. Is our education system so bad that we can't even count on a high school degree to be evidence of even the lowest of academic training? Haven't they received some academic training from just attending high school?

To the second point, I'm sure it happens all the time. But that doesn't mean it has to. I'm truly sorry for any Carolina athlete that was pressured into any major. I really am. And I hope those that did that are called to the carpet and I hope that practice doesn't happen anymore. But I have a suspicion that some that have claimed that are only coming out with it because their first option didn't go as planned and they want to blame it on someone else. But again, I do not want Carolina student (or any student at any school) to be pressured into a specific major.

Your third point is an all together different discussion - should we let students in that aren't qualified. This is the society we live in - where college has been rammed down the throats of kids that simply are not built for it. And there's no shame in NOT going to college. I know many people that make a lot more money than I and live kick-ass lives who didn't go to college. We need to stop forcing a square peg through a round hole. We need to get back to vocational training for those that don't fit the college mold. I digress. But yeah, not offering the support to students that you've admitted knowing they aren't capable is a problem. But that's an NCAA problem. All schools admit students that aren't college capable. How do you explain them getting through school? Wouldn't that indeed reinforce the excuse that many UNC fans have made that "everybody does it"? Or are you assuming that every other school that admits unequipped student athletes simply has sufficient support services?

Lastly, I'm not blaming anyone. I'm simply asking about personal accountability. Like I said, it's my belief that the student controls their fate. If you want to get a legit experience, you can get one. It may be harder for the students that are not equipped. But life ain't even. Some have advantages that others don't.

First of all, thank you for the response. I truly appreciate your tone and I'm now confident you'd like to have some civil discourse regarding this.

To your first point,...I don't know what to say other than "I'm sorry." I mean, not everyone has all the advantages that others do. I was blessed with a 2 parent home where both mom and dad were very involved and supportive. But when it came time to pick a major, I did that alone. Like I said, for those that don't have that support, then I guess they just have to grow up a little faster. But also, these kids made it through high school. Is our education system so bad that we can't even count on a high school degree to be evidence of even the lowest of academic training? Haven't they received some academic training from just attending high school?

To the second point, I'm sure it happens all the time. But that doesn't mean it has to. I'm truly sorry for any Carolina athlete that was pressured into any major. I really am. And I hope those that did that are called to the carpet and I hope that practice doesn't happen anymore. But I have a suspicion that some that have claimed that are only coming out with it because their first option didn't go as planned and they want to blame it on someone else. But again, I do not want Carolina student (or any student at any school) to be pressured into a specific major.

Your third point is an all together different discussion - should we let students in that aren't qualified. This is the society we live in - where college has been rammed down the throats of kids that simply are not built for it. And there's no shame in NOT going to college. I know many people that make a lot more money than I and live kick-ass lives who didn't go to college. We need to stop forcing a square peg through a round hole. We need to get back to vocational training for those that don't fit the college mold. I digress. But yeah, not offering the support to students that you've admitted knowing they aren't capable is a problem. But that's an NCAA problem. All schools admit students that aren't college capable. How do you explain them getting through school? Wouldn't that indeed reinforce the excuse that many UNC fans have made that "everybody does it"? Or are you assuming that every other school that admits unequipped student athletes simply has sufficient support services?

Lastly, I'm not blaming anyone. I'm simply asking about personal accountability. Like I said, it's my belief that the student controls their fate. If you want to get a legit experience, you can get one. It may be harder for the students that are not equipped. But life ain't even. Some have advantages that others don't.

Minnesota cheated but everybody does it. Miami was cheating but everybody does it. Georgia was cheating but everybody does it. SMU was cheating but everybody does it. This wasn't the refrain from all of those prior schools. Only UNC*** has tried to use this excuse after having spent the last 25 years telling the rest of the country about the "Carolina way" and how UNC*** is better than everyone else.

Reactions: Xception
ADVERTISEMENT