ADVERTISEMENT

shawn kirk?

I tend to agree (without knowing anything about the situation and virtually nothing about the player), but I think the risk you run when you go that route is you give the teams still in the Brown/Murray sweepstakes a chip to use against you.

The first thing I thought when I saw this was Cal's lamentations in 2011, when he claimed he couldn't run a full practice. I think I posted this above, but I saw a short clip from yesterday where he claimed that they only had three guys in the lay-up line right now.
I guess they could use it against UK, but it would be like using Dom Hawkins as a way to dissuade Isiah Briscoe.

I guess they could use it against UK, but it would be like using Dom Hawkins as a way to dissuade Isiah Briscoe.

I see your point but the situations are totally different, mainly because of the timing.

As the other poster said Kentucky may never have had a chance with Brown anyway. But here comes an eerily similar player offered on April 28th literally a day after Brown cuts his list.

I don't believe these high-profile recruits are "scared" away as so many believe. I think it's much more complicated than that. What generally happens is the staffs at other schools get in there and run all kinds of interference. The "This guy is just a 3-star and won't play anyway" stuff is the kind of things fans who read 75-word Rivals analyses say. Coaching staffs and the families of players don't seem to think in such blunt terms.

I just get surprised when people lose confidence so easily. In fact, it really pisses me off. UK loses one game and a couple recruits and all of the sudden the program is crumbling. You would think with four F4s and a title in the last five years, people would have the utmost trust in Cal...but nope. People act like they're Bengals or Cubs fans and they've known nothing but pain and disappointment.

Umm, you're a fan of the greatest program in CBB history that happens to be in the middle of one of its greatest runs. Maybe have a little faith?

Committed to NC State yesterday. Yesterday night, UK offered him, and he's now on limbo. Everybody knows that, and 90% of you are complaining. This thread is for those who want to have a positive discussion about the kid. If you can't do that, don't post here.
I'll start by saying, the lot of you complained on and on about getting Jaylen Brown (Yes, truly complained about getting an athletic wing that is the top ranked wing in the class), and now that UK may not get Brown, you're complaining about not getting Brown (you can't make up your mind if you want him or not?)
So, Cal offers a wing who essentially blew up very, very, very recently. To the point that he's almost trending on twitter. So how did Cal come to offer him? Well, we all know that Cal was in Indianapolis (Adidas Gauntlet was held there), and Cal watched the kid over the weekend. Now, I know this defies Rarftard logic, but Calipari has coached basketball for a long time, and I think he knows what he's doing, especially being the best recruiter in the game today.
The kid plays for Team Loaded, which was named AAU program of the year (according to their site), and also has 2 elite 2016 prospects.
The kid did a solid job despite being among elite company (who usually gets the ball fed to them). Averaged around 10 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals in their run in Indianapolis (a nice contribution, and a sign of a good defender and energy player). while posterizing 2 defenders who were 6'10.
There are positives to his recruitment, you can disagree if you would like, but do it elsewhere. If some want to have a nice discussion about him, feel free to post here, maybe show clips about him.

Do ya think this might be a "Ok, Brown, hurry up or get passed up" move by Cal?

Dunno, Cal is often referred to as the unanimous best recruiter in the game though, so i don't know why there are so many chicken littles.

I think that Cal is making good on his promise after the 2013 season. He said he would not let players "hi-jack the program" and promised to field a team that would allow for coaching (substitutions). Cal didn't always landed ALL 5 star talent. I'm ok with these adds. It ensures we have cushioning as well. Just in case we have another "mass exodus" in the next 2-4 years.

Dunno, Cal is often referred to as the unanimous best recruiter in the game though, so i don't know why there are so many chicken littles.
Because we arent used to Juco transfers and 3 star athletes under Cal...

I realize we have two in the top 10 including number 1 but we lost 7 potential pros on this past team, we need 5 stars!

I tend to think of it this way - its a chess game - and most of you are thinking about the next move, Cal is thinking 3 moves ahead.

I'd welcome Shaun Kirk to UK as long as he represents the program well.

Put away the rope and stool, we're going to have fun watching next years team compete. It might be nice to let Coach K be the guy that ruins college basketball for a year anwyays

Good lord, offer a 3 star kid and this forum goes spiraling into the f***ing abyss. Nobody complained about what those 3 star players turned into for the 96 team, or 2012 team.
We need a solid base of OADs (check), a returning PG with good vision (check), and solid role players who will be hear for the long haul (still working on it).
I bet dookies are griping and whining about coach K offering a scholarship to a 3 star center.
It would be different if Cal had actually recruited the guy and offered him early on . To throw out an offer to a three star at the 11th hour screams of desperation.

I'm perfectly fine with it. This kid reminds me of one of cals Memphis players.Super athletic and can become a great defender guarding multiple positions.

Whether or not Diallo signs with UK it looks like Poythress will be back at SF. Last year after Poythress was injured whenever Lyles went to the bench we had to use a guard there and it hurt us on the boards. It appears that Willis is not the option for Cal and that Brown is going to Michigan as many expected. If Kirk backs out of his commitment to NC St and signs with UK I don't see him as a starter at SF.

People bitch when Cal recruits all 5 star one and dones, and now the you all are bitching when he signs some multi year guys who can develop into solid to good players in a couple of years. UK fans are stupid. Not all of us, but a lot of you are just dumb.

Reactions: billCgmx and stuway
I just get surprised when people lose confidence so easily. In fact, it really pisses me off. UK loses one game and a couple recruits and all of the sudden the program is crumbling. You would think with four F4s and a title in the last five years, people would have the utmost trust in Cal...but nope. People act like they're Bengals or Cubs fans and they've known nothing but pain and disappointment.

Umm, you're a fan of the greatest program in CBB history that happens to be in the middle of one of its greatest runs. Maybe have a little faith?

BRAVO SIR!!!

It is truly amazing how quickly the attitude changes. Cal is just trying to fill out the roster with athletic players that can guard 3-4 positions. He also doesn't want to sign a kid that scares off an elite SF in 2016. We need 4 year players that will push our team in practice and fill a niche needed.

Reactions: BleedBlue32
I'm almost scared to get on the boards anymore. It seems that every morning when I get on, there's nothing but bad news on the recruiting front. And today's news that we actually offered a 3-star that is ranked in the 190's has left me reeling!
Perhaps I wouldn't be so upset with our recruiting misses if last year's team wasn't one, if not the best in NCAA history. Yes, I think we have all gotten spoiled with having GREAT teams, and the thought of not having a great test team next year is killing me. But regardless the type of team we have next year, I will still love them, but right now I think I need to readjust my expectations.

Because we arent used to Juco transfers and 3 star athletes under Cal...

I realize we have two in the top 10 including number 1 but we lost 7 potential pros on this past team, we need 5 stars!

No, we need experience. We have five players who are 5 stars, six if we get Diallo. Experience infused with elite talent won the title in 2012. Inexperienced line of 5 stars didn't win us a title for the past 2 years.

One positive I am looking at is it seems we are good shape with 2016 recruits.So even if we miss out this year and have a subpar season it looks great for the next one.

I'm almost scared to get on the boards anymore. It seems that every morning when I get on, there's nothing but bad news on the recruiting front. And today's news that we actually offered a 3-star that is ranked in the 190's has left me reeling!
Perhaps I wouldn't be so upset with our recruiting misses if last year's team wasn't one, if not the best in NCAA history. Yes, I think we have all gotten spoiled with having GREAT teams, and the thought of not having a great test team next year is killing me. But regardless the type of team we have next year, I will still love them, but right now I think I need to readjust my expectations.

Strange thing, though:

Basketball is a sport where one player can make a world of difference.

If Diallo commits that would go a long way toward cementing next year's team.

Still some holes. Some what-ifs. But also a ton of promise.

I guess I've missed out on this kid. Tell me about him. size, ability, what is his best skill?

It would be different if Cal had actually recruited the guy and offered him early on . To throw out an offer to a three star at the 11th hour screams of desperation.

Or maybe he's a late bloomer and Cal was blown away by him this weekend.

I remember another guy who blew up in front of Cal and people around here were questioning- Tyler Ulis. Not the same, but similar situations and reactions.

Whether or not Diallo signs with UK it looks like Poythress will be back at SF. Last year after Poythress was injured whenever Lyles went to the bench we had to use a guard there and it hurt us on the boards. It appears that Willis is not the option for Cal and that Brown is going to Michigan as many expected. If Kirk backs out of his commitment to NC St and signs with UK I don't see him as a starter at SF.
No, he will not. Calipari has already stated numerous times that Poythress will be playing PF

I'll take 3 star players who are good enough to be playing in some all-star games and AAU's over 3 or 4 walk-ons any day. There's a difference between having a player (3 star) who can actually compete in practice and even in a game, than a walk-on who just takes up space on the bench or the 'lay-up line'. Perhaps Cal wants a full roster without the proverbial walk-ons.

I guess I've missed out on this kid. Tell me about him. size, ability, what is his best skill?

Superb athlete, apparently a good on-ball defender, 6'7, around 190# or so. Best ability is driving the ball. but despite an awkward looking shot, he gets the ball to go in. A few videos on YouTube of him dropping 37 or so in a game, hitting numerous threes. He's comfortable back there, so whatever works. One of the top 150 players in the country apparently. Imagine his performance in Indianapolis, as well as Texas, paired with a UK offer a day after watching him will give him a boost in the rankings.

I cant wait for Cal to coach this kid up. Cal knows talent more than any coach in the nation. This is how he keeps getting kids who end up in the Pros. Cal can evaluate. Cal can evaluate better than anyone. This is why he gets the best of the best

Goodnight people, Cal has a ton of scholly's - he see's a kid he'd like to have for multi-years and develop and he offers. Not every single recruit needs to be a 5 star one-and-done caliber.

Cal needs to add paranoid to his line of "you people are crazy."

Last edited:
Where did all of the Debbie downers come from ? Some of you worry way to much. Some act like Cal has never coached before. UK will be fine next year, we might not have what we had this last year because a team like that is very rare. Just relax and let this staff do their job.

From the one highlight film I saw on him he appears to be an aggressive dunker.

He provides some depth on the wing and will be a good guy to practice against.

He's a project player that will be interesting to see if Cal can actually turn in to something by his junior or senior year.

IDK, that's all I got.

No, we need experience. We have five players who are 5 stars, six if we get Diallo. Experience infused with elite talent won the title in 2012. Inexperienced line of 5 stars didn't win us a title for the past 2 years.

not to mention that a JUCO doesn't eat up a scholly for 4 years and can contribute immediately.

For all who are interested in his stats last season, at Whiteville High School in North Carolina, he averaged 18 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 blocks per game last season.
Averaging 5 blocks per game for a season on the wing is insane.

yeah, the caterwauling is funny. I guess it's basic human nature. Give a guy making 30k a job paying 100k, and before too long, what is he thinking to himself? "Man, I'm blessed, look at this, from 30k to 100k!" Nope. He's thinking he just found out the dude in the office next door makes 110k, and he's amazed at the injustice of it all.....

Like someone said, first thing I thought of was the year we couldn't really practice due to too few bodies.....

ADVERTISEMENT