ADVERTISEMENT

shawn kirk?

This sucks. I'd also read this to say Cal has little to no faith in Willis

Four Final Fours in five years tends to breed desperation. Too bad we don't have any top recruits coming in next year.
Kind of obvious that what both Drew and myself meant was desperate about this late signing class.

Never put much stock in when Cal was leaving but does anyone else think Coach may be setting up his retirement? He loves this University and wouldn't want to leave us in a massive hole. He'd want to leave a solid roster to give the next coach a good foot to start on and a punchers chance. So over the next couple years you get 2-3 guys per year that are high potential 3 stars knowing they'll be here 4 years and the shelf won't be bare in 2019-2020 when he leaves.

Reactions: 8858
Oh... well that's magnificent.

I'm overstating it, but he doesn't have enough perimeter game yet, and maybe he never gets it.

Possibly Troy Williams is a better comparison, but I don't think he is quite as long and is a bit further behind Troy in terms of wing play. Can't imagine he can't develop into a better shooter than Troy has been his first two years at IU.

Kind of a curious thing about this is that the UK staff never made a run at any of these graduate transfers that I'm aware of outside of Thorne Jr.

Could mean a few things, but it seems like if you were really desperate for a position you would go the Pitino route and try to bring in more of a known commodity.

I agree with Drew on KSR.Coch Cal is getting desperate.
Yep. UK fans don't want to admit Calipari's master plan has sprung a leak. This guy may turn out to be good but to me he doesn't look much different than Floreal. Still,I don't see how this could effect Diallo.

Obviously this is less than ideal, but some of you act like Cal has never coached anything other than 5 stars. Make no mistake, this is a backup to the backup plan, but Cal had success with guys like this at UMass and Memphis. This shouldn't affect Diallo, and we need bodies for practice. Maybe he turns in to a good player down the road, maybe not. But forgive me for not running to the nearest bridge over this.

Obviously this is less than ideal, but some of you act like Cal has never coached anything other than 5 stars. Make no mistake, this is a backup to the backup plan, but Cal had success with guys like this at UMass and Memphis. This shouldn't affect Diallo, and we need bodies for practice. Maybe he turns in to a good player down the road, maybe not. But forgive me for not running to the nearest bridge over this.

Agreed.

Could mean what we've all suspected for awhile now: after Diallo he knows he's going to strike out and is now in search of filler to ward against a 2011 situation. This guy might be the new Twany Beckham.

It does have a feel like Coach is leaning back to the Memphis mindset and style. Great guards, athletic forwards and a big man to block shots, rebound and dunk. Maybe we see a return to the DDMO

Rather than a backup plan to a backup plan, maybe he is a backup to the backups plan. As in, a body for the bench who is 10th man at best.

I wouldn't think he is recruiting this guy to play next year, unless we have somehow missed on Mulder. He looks like athletic practice depth with the potential to develop into a contributor down the line. If you don't have some of those, then your entire roster rolls over every year.

This Kirk kid was going to prep school and reclassify for 2016 until NC St offered him. Doesn't seem like even he thought he could contribute next year.
could he be thinking that another year and then he is a 5 star, and just maybe, just effin maybe Cal can see talent in kids?

I love this offer he's super athletic and played great last weekend infornt of some big to eat coaches. Plus he's a multiple year guy.

Picking up an athletic SF, who will stay in the program for a few seasons and develop his game, to go along with his best friend, a top 10 player from the class of 2016? I'll take that deal.

Reactions: bigc45157
Picking up an athletic SF, who will stay in the program for a few seasons and develop his game, to go along with his best friend, a top 10 player from the class of 2016? I'll take that deal.
I don't think getting his best friend makes getting him a sure thing.Florida State tried that with Wiggins and it failed.

Kind of a curious thing about this is that the UK staff never made a run at any of these graduate transfers that I'm aware of outside of Thorne Jr.

Could mean a few things, but it seems like if you were really desperate for a position you would go the Pitino route and try to bring in more of a known commodity.
Kyle Tucker‏@KyleTucker_CJ 28m28 minutes ago

New Story || Spoke to HS coach of N.C. State commit with new UK offer. Sounds likely he'll be a Wildcat. http://usatodayhss.com/2015/n-c-state-commit-considering-new-kentucky-hoops-offer…

I think it's great that Cal has the guts to offer right after a player has committed elsewhere. How many other head coaches would be willing to do that?

Obviously, not a good sign regarding Brown. I don't see how anyone could read anything into Diallo or Murray, though.

With that said, UK has been lacking in the swingman position- athletic wings who can attack the rim and be versatile defenders on the other end. We may be getting 3 in one class in Matthews, Mulder and this kid- and they're all multi-year guys. I'm guessing Cal sees a guy he can mold into something in a couple years.

He's super athletic, but that isn't what we need more of... Hope Brown announces first and picks Kentucky. Otherwise... Yuck. Could affect 2016 wings like Tatum/Monk as well.

Yea, a super athletic 6'7'' guy would have been nice to throw against a certain player from a certain game in early April.

He's super athletic, but that isn't what we need more of... Hope Brown announces first and picks Kentucky. Otherwise... Yuck. Could affect 2016 wings like Tatum/Monk as well.

I definitely think we need more athletic wings.

And why would he affect Tatum/Monk?

I view this as Cal choosing to add some potential to the roster as opposed to having either an open scholarship or needing more walk-ons.

Even if Mulder signs today, UK will have 4 open scholarships for 2016, correct? There is no reason to leave that many open when you are fairly certain that (A) at least 3 guys are jumping to the NBA next season and (B) any stud you add at this point is likely to be a one year player as well.

I view this as Cal choosing to add some potential to the roster as opposed to having either an open scholarship or needing more walk-ons.

Even if Mulder signs today, UK will have 4 open scholarships for 2016, correct? There is no reason to leave that many open when you are fairly certain that (A) at least 3 guys are jumping to the NBA next season and (B) any stud you add at this point is likely to be a one year player as well.

I tend to agree (without knowing anything about the situation and virtually nothing about the player), but I think the risk you run when you go that route is you give the teams still in the Brown/Murray sweepstakes a chip to use against you.

The first thing I thought when I saw this was Cal's lamentations in 2011, when he claimed he couldn't run a full practice. I think I posted this above, but I saw a short clip from yesterday where he claimed that they only had three guys in the lay-up line right now.

Good lord, offer a 3 star kid and this forum goes spiraling into the f***ing abyss. Nobody complained about what those 3 star players turned into for the 96 team, or 2012 team.
We need a solid base of OADs (check), a returning PG with good vision (check), and solid role players who will be hear for the long haul (still working on it).
I bet dookies are griping and whining about coach K offering a scholarship to a 3 star center.

I definitely think we need more athletic wings.

And why would he affect Tatum/Monk?

Multi year guy. Both are wings. Considering UK will likely have Matthews back as well that is 2 2/3 position players on the board. Add another one if Mulder commits today. We need a guy like Brown on the wing because we are lacking an elite talent there. I guess I'll agree to disagree with everyone here. This reeks of desperation by Cal. Hopefully I'm wrong and Brown + Diallo commits.

Why would a 4 year 3 star project practice player have an impact on 2016 guys? Only thing that will keep them away from UK is they're afflicted with the same Handleradidasitis that seems to have torpedoed this signing period.

this thread is hilarious.
  • people are acting like we had a chance with brown to being with. lol
  • people acting like a 5 star would actually care about a 3 star at his same position
  • desperate....lol....we have 5 5 star players on the roster as is. ulis, brisco, poythress, skal, and lee....how many more do you need to feel good about the team. stupid.
just clueless
2015-2016 is going to be a pretty funny year....buckle up

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Multi year guy. Both are wings. Considering UK will likely have Matthews back as well that is 2 2/3 position players on the board. Add another one if Mulder commits today. We need a guy like Brown on the wing because we are lacking an elite talent there. I guess I'll agree to disagree with everyone here. This reeks of desperation by Cal. Hopefully I'm wrong and Brown + Diallo commits.

Did Dominque Hawkins scare away Isaiah Briscoe? A bunch of people here b**ch about people leaving too soon. We get players who will stay multiple years, and they b**ch about that. At least stay consistent about what you're b**ching about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT