ADVERTISEMENT

SEC running back rankings

8) Kentucky

There’s no question that Kentucky football is on the upswing, as Mark Stoops and the Wildcats staff have done a tremendous job off the field recruiting and on the field coaching. One player that they have to be ultra-excited about helping them turn the corner is one of the SEC’s most exciting players in Stanley ‘Boom’ Williams. This sophomore running back can do it all. In ten games played in 2014 Williams rushed for 486 yards and five touchdowns. He also caught 17 passes for 162 yards and one touchdown. Williams was also an excellent kick returner. He had himself an outstanding spring and continues to progress and shine. Certainly Williams will be the key cog to big blue’s offensive machine this fall.

It’s not just Boom left, Boom right, and Boom up the middle. Kentucky has some quality running backs behind him, especially in sophomore Mikel Horton and junior JoJo Kemp. These two combined for 629 rushing yards and six scores on the ground. Add them to Williams and the trio averaged close to 5.5 yards per carry behind a pretty average offensive front. This is a very talented group in Lexington. Incoming freshman Sihiem King looks like a nice fit for this offense

We are MUCH better than #8 in the SEC. I would put us a lot closer to #2-3. We have more talent than anyone they put in front of us and as much depth. The only reason they could have us this low is the fact they think the OL is not good enough to get any openings. We are going to surprise EVERYONE except us fans!!!!

Like all preseason rankings of our team, our positions, our players we can disprove poor evaluations on the field and in games that count this season. Kids & coaches need to get it done to prove 'em wrong and to take us more serious going forward.

Reactions: jnewc2
#2 or #3 is a bit ambitious given that they didn't get the touches last year to prove it. I would personally put our backs somewhere between 5 and 8. This article is pretty accurate. I still don't get the continued fascination with Missouri's back field but ok I guess. I suppose that's what happens when you win the SEC east.

Getting wrapped up in subjective rankings is an exercise in futility. Win and all of the rankings take care of themselves.

Of course I can't be unbiased because I think UGA has the best set of RB in the conference, but its hard to argue much against Arkansas having the top RB squad. The being able to stay healthy issue probably puts them number 1, Sony missed 6 games last season but averaged over 7.ypc when he played, Marshall has missed the better part of 2 seasons but had nearly 700 yards his frosh year, Douglas isn't really an SEC RB but he has a few starts and averages about 5 ypc over 2 years. The Turman kid they mentioned had a big spring game, but everyone else was held out for the most part.

I don't think UK is top 3, Henry and Drake are both proven and very good RB, I think as a group who has proven what they can do, Arkansas, Bama and UGA in whatever order you want to put them. I think Fournette is probably the 2nd best back in the conference but I don't know much about the guys behind him, would he be enough to put them at 4? The next group, UT, UK, USC, AU all have good backs, but a couple of them have JUCO's who haven't played in the SEC. I know Kamara is very good and will likely beat Hurd out, but he isn't proven, how can he be included? Same thing can be said about AU, their top guy is a JUCO who hasn't stepped foot on an SEC field, but they have some high skill guys behind him too. UK has Boom who has proven to be very explosive, but the guys behind him haven't shown to be near the level he is yet, with the frosh pass them during the season? Wilds has shown to be a good backup at USC, but he has never been asked to be the man, their next guy has played very little, I think of this group they would be 4. The other 3 can be ranked about anyway you want, arguements for each.

With that said, If all of UGA's backs stay healthy I doubt Chubb gets 1500 yards this year because we will cut his carries to 18-20 per game and Michel getting nearly as many. If Marshall is healthy he will get quite a few touches too, he is by far the fastest RB on the team, but my hopes are high on that, afraid he has some issues from the knee that have nothing to do with the actual knee.

I love seeing Florida listed as last at something. :smiley:

Of all the backs mentioned the one that I'm glad we don't have to look at this year is Leonard Fournette. That dude is a linebacker's worst nightmare.

I think UK is about right at 8th. Boom is capable of an all SEC type year as an all purpose back but he'll need a lot of help behind him.

I don't see an issue with us being 8th. That's around middle of the pack and we have a top QB so with them combined we should have a very potent offense (all depending on the OL).

Reactions: jnewc2
When JoJo gets on the field, as a runner IMO he is pretty much the equal of Boom! And I like Boom a lot!

I really like our running backs. I wanted Damien Harris as much as anyone, but we are still in VERY good shape without him!

Grumpy if you put Georgia's backs behind our OL would they still be getting insane ypc? Or is the amount of yards they chew up more of an indication of just how good of a line you guys have?
Chubb is a monster and was the best back in the sec when he got touches. Do you think he would have done that well here?

One last thing, I think what hurts our RB's numbers last season was the amount of times Towels ran the ball himself instead of letting his stable of backs run it. Towels was effective at it in some games but more often than not he wasn't and it's a matter of time before he's going to get a lick laid on him he won't pop back up from.

Grumpy if you put Georgia's backs behind our OL would they still be getting insane ypc? Or is the amount of yards they chew up more of an indication of just how good of a line you guys have?
Chubb is a monster and was the best back in the sec when he got touches. Do you think he would have done that well here?

One last thing, I think what hurts our RB's numbers last season was the amount of times Towels ran the ball himself instead of letting his stable of backs run it. Towels was effective at it in some games but more often than not he wasn't and it's a matter of time before he's going to get a lick laid on him he won't pop back up from.

Its hard to say, I think he would have gotten 1000 yards at UK if had gotten 200 carries, but that's just my opinion. I know everyone sees how strong Chubb is, but I don't think the realize how fast he is, he was a 10.7 sprinter in HS with lazer timing, the same timing system Boom ran 11.00 on as a Jr. Like I said, I doubt he gets 1500 yards this year if our other backs can stay healthy and take some of the load off him.

Chubb got his yards against a defense aligned and determined to make our weak passing attack beat them, and we averaged 41+ a game as a running team facing 8-9 in the box every play. So with a qb like Towles, who could at least make a DC think they might throw 40 yards down field and get to 7 in the box on some plays I think he would have done pretty well at UK.

Reactions: gg4uk
I think UK will have a pretty balanced attack this year, and I don't think it is asking too much to have us find ONE player that is at least adequate to fill in the weak spot in our OL, we should have a few candidates.

We are MUCH better than #8 in the SEC. I would put us a lot closer to #2-3. We have more talent than anyone they put in front of us and as much depth. The only reason they could have us this low is the fact they think the OL is not good enough to get any openings. We are going to surprise EVERYONE except us fans!!!!

Sadly I don't think UK is much better than #8 in the SEC here. I'd say in another conference UK would be a lot closer to 2 or 3. There is not more talent (or as much) as anyone they put in front of us nor is there as much depth. But it's getting there.

Kamara is very good and will likely beat Hurd out, but he isn't proven, how can he be included?

Kamara won't beat Hurd out, they have two very different running styles and will be used in different ways. Sometimes in the same play. One is built for power, one is built for speed. Not sure if you read the article, but I'm guessing not because a lot of players haven't played a down in the SEC and were still considered when they were ranking the RBs. Maybe that's a good indication you should take it with a grain of salt if you wish.

Reactions: Orange_N_White
8th seems to be a fair evaluation.
Agree. Boom is top 5 overall category, but JoJo has been inconsistent and Horton is unproven. King may be a big surprise. Talent is there but need production now.

8th seems to be a fair evaluation.

Much better than UK's normal preseason rankings and OK for now, just not very good for postseason. I'm thinking we will surprise a lot of people with a balances offense.

Kamara won't beat Hurd out, they have two very different running styles and will be used in different ways. Sometimes in the same play. One is built for power, one is built for speed. Not sure if you read the article, but I'm guessing not because a lot of players haven't played a down in the SEC and were still considered when they were ranking the RBs. Maybe that's a good indication you should take it with a grain of salt if you wish.

That's good to hear, keeping the biggest threat to the defense on the bench is good for the opposition, and Kamara didn't go to UT to be 2nd in line so he is likely to sit and pout if he isn't starting. I probably know far more about him and seen him play more than you have at this point and know one of his HS coaches pretty well and one of his coaches at Bama really well.

As for reading the article, I did and yes lots of kids were mentioned who haven't proved anything and that group of RB's were in the top 4 RB groups in the league. Of course I am prejudice but I think UGA has the best back and if healthy could have the best group but 2 of them haven't shown they can stay healthy. Michel would have had 1k yards last year or very close if he hadn't missed 6 games, and was ahead of Chubb on the depth chart heading into the Clemson game, but after that it was not too hard to see what Chubb could do with the ball, Both averaged over 7 ypc, who alone with Gurley gave us 3 RB who averaged over 7 ypc. Bobo should have been fired for trying to throw the ball against UF when we were up 14 in the first and Chubb had over 100 yards on 9 carries, after than he had 4 touches. All the momentum and a 14-0 lead and he throws 6 passes on consecutive 3 and outs and that was the game. We probably take a step back offensively because as best I can tell we have no clue who the qb is going to be, a Buck Blue clone would work, he did ok handing the ball off to Hershel.

I think Chubb and Fournette are clearly the two best backs in the SEC. I watched both get yards on their own after they got all the yards their OL's provided.

That's good to hear, keeping the biggest threat to the defense on the bench is good for the opposition, and Kamara didn't go to UT to be 2nd in line so he is likely to sit and pout if he isn't starting. I probably know far more about him and seen him play more than you have at this point and know one of his HS coaches pretty well and one of his coaches at Bama really well.

As for reading the article, I did and yes lots of kids were mentioned who haven't proved anything and that group of RB's were in the top 4 RB groups in the league. Of course I am prejudice but I think UGA has the best back and if healthy could have the best group but 2 of them haven't shown they can stay healthy. Michel would have had 1k yards last year or very close if he hadn't missed 6 games, and was ahead of Chubb on the depth chart heading into the Clemson game, but after that it was not too hard to see what Chubb could do with the ball, Both averaged over 7 ypc, who alone with Gurley gave us 3 RB who averaged over 7 ypc. Bobo should have been fired for trying to throw the ball against UF when we were up 14 in the first and Chubb had over 100 yards on 9 carries, after than he had 4 touches. All the momentum and a 14-0 lead and he throws 6 passes on consecutive 3 and outs and that was the game. We probably take a step back offensively because as best I can tell we have no clue who the qb is going to be, a Buck Blue clone would work, he did ok handing the ball off to Hershel.

Personally I think Georgia wins the East unless they pull a Mark Richt.

UGA wins easy but we suprise people and finish 2nd in east with Big W's against uscjr, Tenn, UF,Miss st. I can hope can't I!!! I think all these games we have a good shot this year IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT