ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Record Against Other Conferences

Always felt like the big east got a bum rap in football. People kept arguing for them to lose their automatic bcs bowl bid, when it was the acc that was the worst league.

You have to look deeper than just win and loss. Is the top 3 playing lower half teams? Is one team coming off a brutal 3 game stretch and the other has only played 1 ranked team all year?

There are years I think the sec is overrated and I think this year is one of them. But I've seen years were the sec clearly had the best conference but looked only moderately better than another league head to head. Qb play is probably the single biggest difference maker.

SEC losing record against BE thanks to UK. We lost too many games against BE teams. Bowl games vs. Syr, Pitt and how many times to UL?

SEC losing record against BE thanks to UK. We lost too many games against BE teams. Bowl games vs. Syr, Pitt and how many times to UL?
In the 8 years UofL was in the BE (2005-2012) they were 4-4 vs UK and had the win over FL in 2012. 3 of the 4 UK wins came against Kragthorpe coached teams. During the lifetime of BE football (1991-2012) UK was 4-6 vs BE teams with the other 2 losses to Syracuse and Pitt.

Peace

Reactions: The-Hack
Definitely a head scratcher. Mostly a case of SEC teams just not taking the BE team seriously...remember that clunker that UGA threw in vs. WVU in Atlanta? How about UK's horrible loss to Pitt after the Hardline incident? Have to give the BE credit though...a mediocre conference (at best) that took advantage of big bowl game moments (UCONN spanking Okie in the Fiesta, anyone???)

The Old BIG EAST had some very good players as well:

Jason Pierre Paul South Florida, Darrelle Revis Pitt, LeSean McCoy, Pitt, Aaron Donald Pitt, Ray Rice Rutgers, Bruce Irvin West Virginia etc...etc...just off the top of my head,

As stated earlier in this thread it was the ACC that had the horrific BCS/New Years Six Bowl Record...the BIG EAST held it own.

Reactions: The-Hack
In the 45 games against SEC teams Notre Dame stands 27-18 ( 5-2 against Alabama, 6-5 against LSU, 3-1 South Carolina, 3-2 against Texas A&M, 2-0 against Vandy, 1-0 against Florida, 4-4 against Tennessee, 2-2 against Missouri, 1-1 Mississippi and 0-1 in a classic lose to Georgia in the 1981 Sugar Bowl). ND has never faced Arkansas, Auburn, Mississippi State, or Kentucky.

In the 45 games against SEC teams Notre Dame stands 27-18 ( 5-2 against Alabama, 6-5 against LSU, 3-1 South Carolina, 3-2 against Texas A&M, 2-0 against Vandy, 1-0 against Florida, 4-4 against Tennessee, 2-2 against Missouri, 1-1 Mississippi and 0-1 in a classic lose to Georgia in the 1981 Sugar Bowl). ND has never faced Arkansas, Auburn, Mississippi State, or Kentucky.

They didn't look too hot against Alabama in that ass whupping a couple years back. ND would struggle playing a SEC schedule each year.

Reactions: BlueTick2
They didn't look too hot against Alabama in that ass whupping a couple years back. ND would struggle playing a SEC schedule each year.
LSU spanked their azz pretty bad in a bowl not too long ago as well. What's ND record vs. SEC the past 25 years?

Not the question asked in the thread, but ND did beat LSU in the Music City Bowl back in December 2014. You always savor that last win.

I know nd was decimated by injuries last year. Did they get those guys back for the bowl? Didn't get to watch that game but shocked at the score. Different QB and those injured guys coming back was what I thought happened.

Always felt like the big east got a bum rap in football. People kept arguing for them to lose their automatic bcs bowl bid, when it was the acc that was the worst league.

I fondly remember the days when our UofL friends made this argument frequently, and with some passion. Have not heard it lately. heh....

I'm still not sure why we have a strange ND fan on a UK forum. It is hilarious. ND is so irrelevant nowadays...no threat to win a national title even when they make it to the game as you know they will get annihilated by the faster, more talented, more athletic opponent. I guess the ND fan can party like its 1988!!!

Actually I grew up on Kentucky Basketball and ND Football. I can't ever remember not being a Kentucky Basketball fan and I'm 61 years old. I spent many a school nights listening to Cawood and Coach Rupp talk basketball while doing my homework. I've always loved football and in 1963 I became a ND fan. Since I'm not welcomed here by some I started calling myself the Lone IrishCat that prowls alone. I'm here most everyday to get the latest updates on UK basketball and football. I can't help but interact on some threads.
Now to answer hmt5000's question. ND was decimated by injuries on the defensive side starting with the Navy game. ND got all it's defenders back for the LSU Bowl game except the starting middle linebacker and Jarron Jones (starting tackle). ND used the run to set up the passing game in the bowl game. Blue blood programs are about as irrelevant as a hundred dollar bill. If you have history, national championships, money, facilities, alumni support, television package, and a strong fan base; the program might go dormant for a while, but it only takes one good coach to awaken the sleeping giant. It's the reason Paul Finebaum said on his radio program, "When you list the blue bloods in college football you must start with Notre Dame."

I'm still not sure why we have a strange ND fan on a UK forum. It is hilarious. ND is so irrelevant nowadays...no threat to win a national title even when they make it to the game as you know they will get annihilated by the faster, more talented, more athletic opponent. I guess the ND fan can party like its 1988!!!

You have to look deeper than just win and loss. Is the top 3 playing lower half teams? Is one team coming off a brutal 3 game stretch and the other has only played 1 ranked team all year?

There are years I think the sec is overrated and I think this year is one of them. But I've seen years were the sec clearly had the best conference but looked only moderately better than another league head to head. Qb play is probably the single biggest difference maker.

I think it would be a stretch to call the SEC overrated. There are still just so so many good players in the conference, and there is such a vast difference in talent from top to bottom in the SEC compared to others. I mean the SEC East alone (which is perceived to be "down") brings in as many (or more) top-300 recruits as the next closest conference combined.

There's still a head and shoulders difference in the SEC and other conferences. Of course every P5 conference has a dominant team or two that can play with and beat our best teams on a given night, but there is no other conference that can even COME CLOSE to matching the SEC's depth. Our 7th or 8th best team could easily knock off our #1 team on a given night. That's rarely going to happen in other conferences. That's what sets the SEC apart. The SEC basically has 10 or 11 teams that are capable of being in the top-25 every year. That's just ridiculous. No other conference can even come close to matching that.

I mean, we're basically the 13th-best team in the SEC right now, and I think we'd be middle of the pack AT WORST in every other conference. Name another conference whose 13th-best team is at the level of our program, basically being able to go out and play w/ any team in the nation on a given night & bringing in the kind of recruits we're bringing in.

The worst teams in other conferences are borderline Sun Belt teams..in the SEC the worst teams are borderline top-25 teams.

Last edited:

No fan of Notre Dame but ND (by the grace and $ of NBC) has an unshared national platform. Not even Alabama is on national television as much as they are - be it 1988, 1998, 2008 or beyond.

I think it would be a stretch to call the SEC overrated. There are still just so so many good players in the conference, and there is such a vast difference in talent from top to bottom in the SEC compared to others. I mean the SEC East alone (which is perceived to be "down") brings in as many (or more) top-300 recruits as the next closest conference combined.

There's still a head and shoulders difference in the SEC and other conferences. Of course every P5 conference has a dominant team or two that can play with and beat our best teams on a given night, but there is no other conference that can even COME CLOSE to matching the SEC's depth. Our 7th or 8th best team could easily knock off our #1 team on a given night. That's rarely going to happen in other conferences. That's what sets the SEC apart. The SEC basically has 10 or 11 teams that are capable of being in the top-25 every year. That's just ridiculous. No other conference can even come close to matching that.

I mean, we're basically the 13th-best team in the SEC right now, and I think we'd be middle of the pack AT WORST in every other conference. Name another conference whose 13th-best team is at the level of our program, basically being able to go out and play w/ any team in the nation on a given night & bringing in the kind of recruits we're bringing in.

The worst teams in other conferences are borderline Sun Belt teams..in the SEC the worst teams are borderline top-25 teams.
overrated isn't saying that its not the best conference. i think that the preseason rankings of some sec teams are a little high considering the uncertainty at qb at so many schools. as the bowls showed... you can have great players all over the field but if the other team can score in the 40's because of scheme, then it doesn't matter because your team cannot score that many with an athlete playing qb.

overrated isn't saying that its not the best conference. i think that the preseason rankings of some sec teams are a little high considering the uncertainty at qb at so many schools. as the bowls showed... you can have great players all over the field but if the other team can score in the 40's because of scheme, then it doesn't matter because your team cannot score that many with an athlete playing qb.

Exactly right IMO. The SEC has been the best top to bottom football conference for a number of years - and with the increasing prevalence and demand for preseason rankings, their teams have received top 25 rankings that were unjustified. It should be interesting to see how things change as the playoff system continues to unfold.

You really consider a 3-7 Vanderbilt or a 5-7 UK team as a borderline top 25 team?

You really consider a 3-7 Vanderbilt or a 5-7 UK team as a borderline top 25 team?

Unfortunately, that's the way some folks think. They've been brainwashed. BTW, I found this stat from last year interesting:

Against P5 teams in Reg Season, the SEC was 11-10. The PAC12 was 11-4

Against P5 teams in Bowls, the SEC was 6-4. The PAC12 was 5-2

Reactions: The Public Enemy
Actually I grew up on Kentucky Basketball and ND Football. I can't ever remember not being a Kentucky Basketball fan and I'm 61 years old. I spent many a school nights listening to Cawood and Coach Rupp talk basketball while doing my homework. I've always loved football and in 1963 I became a ND fan. Since I'm not welcomed here by some I started calling myself the Lone IrishCat that prowls alone. I'm here most everyday to get the latest updates on UK basketball and football. I can't help but interact on some threads.
Now to answer hmt5000's question. ND was decimated by injuries on the defensive side starting with the Navy game. ND got all it's defenders back for the LSU Bowl game except the starting middle linebacker and Jarron Jones (starting tackle). ND used the run to set up the passing game in the bowl game. Blue blood programs are about as irrelevant as a hundred dollar bill. If you have history, national championships, money, facilities, alumni support, television package, and a strong fan base; the program might go dormant for a while, but it only takes one good coach to awaken the sleeping giant. It's the reason Paul Finebaum said on his radio program, "When you list the blue bloods in college football you must start with Notre Dame."
OMG..get the living hell out of here and don’t come back. Scum bag front running turd

OMG..get the living hell out of here and don’t come back. Scum bag front running turd
I was on my way out the door; but nobody but a moderator can make me leave. I'm not going anywhere son. I will be pulling for the Cats in basketball until the Lord calls me home someday. Got it dumb turd. You don't like it then ignore me. I'm Not leaving now for a million dollars.

At one time the Big East was a tough league. Miami in their.prime, VT and WVU could hang with anyone. Wasn't it an 8 team conference? That would be nearly half the conference.

The Big East should have required ND to play a certain number of games like the ACC. I'm not sure why they didn't but it would have helped the Big East. ND and Miami had a very bitter rivalry back in the mid to late 80's. It got so out of control that the series was ended by mutual agreement.

I was on my way out the door; but nobody but a moderator can make me leave. I'm not going anywhere son. I will be pulling for the Cats in basketball until the Lord calls me home someday. Got it dumb turd. You don't like it then ignore me. I'm Not leaving now for a million dollars.
You can leave NOW

You have to go back to Stoops’ third year to find UK at 5-7. That is like averaging Beamer’s first six years at VT and using those stats to characterize his HC career at VT. Even in the all-SEC Covid year, UK beat Top 25 NCSt. Of course the year before was the fun win over VT (of course VT was not a ranked team) and in 2018 was the fun win over Penn St, then ranked No. 12.

Not sure Vandy fans should be weighing in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT