ADVERTISEMENT

SEC announces UK 3 permanent opponents to play twice a year

That's good. Those are probably our biggest rivals.

I wouldn't mind Arkansas being in the mix instead of UF, especially with Donovan gone. That matchup loses a little luster with him gone.

Definitely agree with UT and Vandy. That's the two closest campuses to UK. Makes sense.

I don't like all of Florida's choices; I prefer for Florida to play the following (H/A) on a permanent basis: Kentucky, Tennessee, & Georgia (a border-war). Which is better to watch on an annual basis? South Carolina-Tennessee or Florida-Tenn? There is a long history of bitterness between the vols and the gators that goes back to the 90s in both basketball & football.

Besides, I kind of like the old SEC-E rivalries better than this force feeding of having to play some of the SEC-W schools twice. I don't know if any real rivalries have been established in this 18-game format.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
That's good. Those are probably our biggest rivals.

I wouldn't mind Arkansas being in the mix instead of UF, especially with Donovan gone. That matchup loses a little luster with him gone.

Definitely agree with UT and Vandy. That's the two closest campuses to UK. Makes sense.

Florida is easily the second most successful program in the SEC - Billy Donovan made sure of that. The SEC needs the UF-UK game nationally to give the conference some attention. The newer UF coach White has some potential. He should be able to recruit the state of Florida successfully. Besides, Florida has a relatively stocked roster (thanks to Billy D) in comparison to other SEC teams: all twelve members are ESPN top 100 players. Florida should make the NCAA tourney again next season; they could be a dark-horse candidate for success next season (DFS, K.Hill, & D.Walker all have Final4 experience from the 2014 season).

Arkansas is a distant third (after that, LSU is 4th; Alabama/Tennessee are tied for 5th; don't know where Mizzou fits in) - most of the razorback's success (i.e, the six Final 4's and conference titles) occurred in the old SWC! The razorbacks have been relatively dormant during the whole time Florida has been making noise in the NCAAs. None of the SEC teams besides UK got out of the first weekend of the NCAAs last season.

I was hoping for Arkansas instead of Vandy. Now we have to watch our team play in memorial every year and that is my most disliked arena in the conference. It isn't even a true basketball arena.

Would like Arkansas in there over Vanderbilt but understand why that is the case, I guess. Arkansas games are the best and worst kind of nostalgia for me simultaneously.

Would prefer Ark over Florida. With Donocan gone they will revert back to their past. Ark is the only other SEC school whose fans actually care about basketball.

they should have, IMO - made one of the permanent opponents one of the old west division teams. I like the idea of Arkansas too.

Was hoping we wouldn't have to make that yearly trip to that shithole for more of that Ol' Memorial screwing...errrr Magic!

Vanderbilt and Tennessee are the ONLY natural permanent opponents...Since 1933 when we were all charter members of the SEC, and in fact, even when were were in the SIAC and Southern Conference together. Those that say those two should not be UK's permanent opponents don't respect history and tradition. Florida is an espn/ last 20 years rival...now that Billy is gone, that will change too....but Vandy and UT are our natural rivals regardless of W-L records period.

Reactions: Friedas_Boss
I don't really consider Vandy a rival. Idc how long we have been kicking their ass. I would have preferred FL, UT and Arkansas. I'd have settled for Missouri if Arkansas was denied us, but Vandy...meh.

I don't care how LONG we've played Vandy, Arkansas' fanbase alone should tip the scales in favor of being one of our 3, IMHO.

Vandy should be forced by the SEC to build a real arena, or else stop fielding a damn basketball team. Seriously, if I was a Vandy alumni/fan, I'd be embarrassed by that place.

I don't really consider Vandy a rival. Idc how long we have been kicking their ass. I would have preferred FL, UT and Arkansas. I'd have settled for Missouri if Arkansas was denied us, but Vandy...meh.

True. Vandy is not now nor has it ever been a rival to UK. They've never elevated themselves nationally long enough to earn the rival label ala LSU, Arkansas, Florida.

I'm ok with Fl. Tenn and especially Vandy. I'd say Stallings is the senior coach of the SEC now right? We've had a lot of battles against him. As far as Florida, we owe them some A@$ woopin's so if their down for a year or two, good! Tenn? I always enjoy us smacken around the team that's fans look like they're at a garbage man's convention.

Florida is easily the second most successful program in the SEC - Billy Donovan made sure of that. The SEC needs the UF-UK game nationally to give the conference some attention. The newer UF coach White has some potential. He should be able to recruit the state of Florida successfully. Besides, Florida has a relatively stocked roster (thanks to Billy D) in comparison to other SEC teams: all twelve members are ESPN top 100 players. Florida should make the NCAA tourney again next season; they could be a dark-horse candidate for success next season (DFS, K.Hill, & D.Walker all have Final4 experience from the 2014 season).

Arkansas is a distant third (after that, LSU is 4th; Alabama/Tennessee are tied for 5th; don't know where Mizzou fits in) - most of the razorback's success (i.e, the six Final 4's and conference titles) occurred in the old SWC! The razorbacks have been relatively dormant during the whole time Florida has been making noise in the NCAAs. None of the SEC teams besides UK got out of the first weekend of the NCAAs last season.

I know where you are coming from, but we are talking long term and right now UF's long term future is uncertain. That is my only concern about being locked in to playing UF twice a year.

Of course, excluding UK, who is stable in the SEC?

As for Arkansas, their fans are what make them more desirable as a long term two time opponent. They are the only fan base that has anywhere close to the passion that we have. UF fans do not hold a candle. But I give you and the other UF bball fan credit for trying.

I don't care how LONG we've played Vandy, Arkansas' fanbase alone should tip the scales in favor of being one of our 3, IMHO.

Vandy should be forced by the SEC to build a real arena, or else stop fielding a damn basketball team. Seriously, if I was a Vandy alumni/fan, I'd be embarrassed by that place.

Can't wait to beat y'all in Memorial Gym this season.

I think this is a good thing.

Actually, I think this is a REALLY good thing !

Last edited:

True. Vandy is not now nor has it ever been a rival to UK. They've never elevated themselves nationally long enough to earn the rival label ala LSU, Arkansas, Florida.

In terms of history and W''s and L's I can see Vandy being one of the 3. I checked the all time record once and saw that they have beaten Kentucky more times than any other team with the exception of UT.

So UT, Vandy, and then Fla sound about right.

It will be a good game. If that Lachance guy goes off then it will be a tough game for us but UK all day in rupp and on a neutral floor.

We shall see. I'm just glad to have a team that can compete with UK and get back to the Dance.

Your team really can't compete with UK....as UK will go far in the tourney that matters while Vandy flames out early. Not much of a competitor.

We shall see. I'm just glad to have a team that can compete with UK and get back to the Dance.

Vandy can't compete with Kentucky and never has. Often, Vandy gets some homers to call the game and in Nashville they can win but not compete.

Vandy sucks.

Edit:

I like the three teams chosen. If I had to do it I would have chosen Vandy, UT and LSU.

Reactions: caneintally
LOL i do think you all will make the dance but we will be favored and shouldn't have much trouble with yall especially if Murray is in the fold .

We're going to have some great game this upcoming season. We have a lot of talent and finally have a little experience.

Can't wait until the Maui Invitational.

Like most of you I think UT and Vandy are obvious, traditional choices. Florida has made great sense the last 15 years or so, but whether they will to continue to be so remains to be seen. Personally I'd have gone with 1 of 3 other's. Georgia. Again, a traditional, original member of the SEC, and one which is a straight shot up and down I-75 for both fan bases. From our point of view I know there are many UK alums and fans in the Atlanta area as well. Arkansas because their fan base is probably closest to UK's in terms of their passion for basketball. And then Missouri which, at least now, is the other state in the SEC sharing a border with Kentucky, albeit a very small one. Plus it's not a bad drive for a lot of UK fans. Not that much further than Atlanta I'd guess for many.

ADVERTISEMENT