IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
Scouting Michigan State
Enrollment: 50,023
Conference: Big 10
Colors: Green and White
Mascot: Spartans

Head Coach: Tom Izzo (28th season - 667-268 career record)

2022-23 Schedule
Tuesday Nov. 1 GRAND VALLEY ST. (exhibition) W, 73-56
Monday Nov. 7 NORTHERN ARIZONA W, 73-55
Friday Nov. 11 vs. #2 Gonzaga L, 64-63

Game Information:
Tuesday Nov. 15 Kentucky vs Mich State #4 Kentucky
Time/TV: (ESPN) 7 p.m EST
ESPN: Dan Shulman (play-by-play)
Dick Vitale (analyst); Holly Rowe (sidelines)
Kentucky Sports Radio Network: Tom Leach

Last season’s record: 23-13

Starters lost: 3
Gabe Brown 6-8 215 Forward (top scorer, 38% 3fg, 3.8reb)
Max Christie 6-6 190 Guard (#2 scorer)
Marcus Bingham 7-0 230 Center (#3 scorer, top rebounder)

Other key players lost: 1
Julius Marble 6-9 245 Center (transferred to TX A&M)

Probable Starters
#11 G AJ Hoggard 6-4 210 Jr 10.5pts, 7.0ast, 2.5reb, 22% from 3 last season
#02 G Tyson Walker 6-0 175 Sr 9.0pts, 4.0ast, 3.0reb, 47% from 3 last season
#25 F Malik Hall 6-8 225 Sr 8.0pts, 7.0reb, 43% from 3 last season
#10 F Joey Hauser 6-9 230 Sr 10.0pts, 5.5reb, 41% from 3 last season
#22 C Mady Sissiko 6-9 235 Jr 9.0pts, 7.5reb, no 3pt threat

Bench
#03 G Jaden Akins 6-4 180 So 5.5pts, 1.5reb 38% from 3 last season
#01 G/F Pierre Brooks 6-6 225 So 9.5pts, 0.5reb, 45.5% from 3 this season
#00 C Jaxon Kohler 6-9 250 Fr 3.0pts, 5.5reb
#05 G Tre Holloman 6-2 175 Fr 3.0pts, 1.5reb

KenPom Analysis
Mich St Best Numbers
Overall defensive efficiency: #25 nationally
Effective FG defense: 41.7%: #49 nationally
Overall offensive efficiency: #36 nationally
Mich St Worst Numbers
Steal %- allowing steals on 11.6% of possessions; #282 nationally
Block %- 12.2% of shots blocked; #259 nationally
3pt %- 27.9% from 3: #257 nationally

TALE OF THE TAPE
UK
STATISTIC MSU
86.0 Pts Per Game 68.0
44.0 Rebounds PG 39.0
21.0 Assists PG 14.0
8.0 Blocks PG 3.5
9.5 Steals PG 7.5
12.5 Turnovers PG 12.5
.504 FG Pct. .427
.512 3-Pt FG Pct. .279
.605 FT Pct. .667
1.7 Assist/TO Ratio 1.1

Analysis
Michigan State enters its game with Kentucky stinging from a loss to #1 Gonzaga last Friday that could have easily been a win for the Spartans. This was the Armed Forces Classic and was played aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln in San Diego, CA. Michigan State had a chance to win the game at the buzzer by Jaden Akins, but the shot didn’t fall. But there’s little time to be upset about that outcome because the Spartans must travel to the Gainbridge Fieldhouse (20,000 capacity) in Indianapolis for their Champions Classic matchup with Kentucky. The Wildcats and the Spartans play the opener this evening with Kansas and Duke playing the late game. Kentucky and Mich State have played 25 times and UK leads the series 14-11. Kentucky has won 2 of 3 Champions Classic games with Mich State, including the last 2 in a row.

(I wrote this back in August) According to various sources I've read, the off-season for Mich State went about as poorly as it could have gone. Gabe Brown and Marcus Bingham both had another year of eligibility remaining (due to Covid) but both decided to forgo the extra year and enter the NBA draft. To make matters worse, up-and-coming would-be sophomore guard Max Christie (who ended up as #2 in scoring last season) decided to test the NBA waters as well and ended up signing with an agent, ending his eligibility. To add insult to injury, their presumed would-be starter at center, Julius Marble, decided to enter the transfer portal and ended up at TX A&M. (we'll see him later in the season) Many prognosticators expect Mich State to be at best a bubble team for the NCAA tournament this season and possibly could end the 24-year streak for the Spartans making the NCAA-T. That streak is tied for the 3rd longest in NCAA men's basketball history and is the 2nd longest active streak. Izzo's teams aren't built for early departures and their 2 incoming freshmen aren't expected to be immediate impact guys. They lack dynamic scorers who can create for themselves on this team.

When you look at the Spartans’ personnel, the strength of the returners is found in their backcourt. They return their 2 starting guards from a season ago. Their starting point guard is AJ Hoggard, a 6-4 210lb Junior who has averaged 10.5 points, 7.0 assists, and 2.5 rebounds in their 2 games so far. He is 0-3 on the season from 3pt range and has not been a very good 3pt shooter for his career with the Spartans. He shot 22% from 3 last season. His does his damage by getting into the lane and scoring on short jumpers and around the rim, and finding open men as a pass-first point. His partner in the backcourt is the other returning starter, shooting guard Tyson Walker, a 6-0 175lb Senior who has averaged 9.0 points, 4.0 assists, and 3.0reb in the first 2 games. He’s a much better 3pt shooter and has made 5-11 on the season for 45.5%. He shot 47% from 3 last season, so UK will have to keep a close eye on him. He will make open shots.

Back in August, I wasn’t sure which direction Izzo would go with his 5th starter, maybe to a guard or another forward. He decided to go big, which tells you about the pace he will prefer this season. That 5th starter has been Joey Hauser for the first 2 games. Hauser is a 6-9 230lb Senior forward who has averaged 10.0 points and 5.5 rebounds and has shot 4-11 from 3 in the first 2 games for 36.4%. He shot 41% from 3 last season, so he has that in his arsenal. The anchor down low for the Spartans is Mady Sissiko, a 6-9 235 Junior who has averaged 9.0 points and 7.5 rebounds in 2 games. He is built similarly to Oscar Tshiebwe, though he lacks Oscar’s skill. He is a big body, though, and will be a handful down low. The 3rd member of the frontcourt is the guy I expected would start at the 4, Malik Hall. He is a 6-8 225lb Senior averaging 8.0 points and 7.0 rebounds so far this season. He has shot 1-5 from 3 in their first 2 games, though he averaged 43% from 3 last season. From the bench, MSU’s 2 most important players are Guard Jaden Akins and 6-6 wing forward Pierre Brooks. We will see as much of those 2 as the starters.

Tom Izzo has decided to go big with his lineup early this season, perhaps because he knew he’d be facing Gonzaga and Kentucky and would need rebounding help. Their pace is also very deliberate so far this year. Even in their exhibition win, they only scored 73 points against Grand Valley State. And then in their opener against Northern Arizona, they scored 73 again. Against Gonzaga, they only scored 63. So, it’s pretty clear what Izzo’s plan is this season. Slow the game down, run the clock, limit opponents’ possessions, and keep the game in the low 70s for a final. The truth is, he doesn’t have many other options. He knows he can’t run with a team like Kentucky which has multiple scoring guards and love to push the pace.

My big questions for this game are about how Oscar Tshiebwe will play- will he be effective? Will he be in game shape, coming off this knee injury? Sissoko isn’t a great offensive threat but he will be a handful on the glass. How will Collins play if he plays? On paper, this should be a win for UK, but we all know Tom Izzo’s team will fight to the finish in this game and they will do their best to slow the pace and keep the game a low-scoring contest. UK will have to execute in the half-court in this game to win. Oscar returning will help immensely with that, if he can be effective. Even if he can rebound some, it will make this a much easier game. KenPom predicts UK 74 Mich St 66, Vegas line is UK-6.5 with an over/under of 141.5. My prediction: UK 78 Mich St 68

Scouting Michigan State

2022-23 Schedule

Game Information:

Probable Starters

Bench

KenPom Analysis
Mich St Best Numbers
Mich St Worst Numbers

TALE OF THE TAPE
UK
STATISTIC MSU
86.0 Pts Per Game 68.0
44.0 Rebounds PG 39.0
21.0 Assists PG 14.0
8.0 Blocks PG 3.5
9.5 Steals PG 7.5
12.5 Turnovers PG 12.5
.504 FG Pct. .427
.512 3-Pt FG Pct. .279
.605 FT Pct. .667
1.7 Assist/TO Ratio 1.1

Analysis
Michigan State enters its game with Kentucky stinging from a loss to #1 Gonzaga last Friday that could have easily been a win for the Spartans. This was the Armed Forces Classic and was played aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln in San Diego, CA. Michigan State had a chance to win the game at the buzzer by Jaden Akins, but the shot didn’t fall. But there’s little time to be upset about that outcome because the Spartans must travel to the Gainbridge Fieldhouse (20,000 capacity) in Indianapolis for their Champions Classic matchup with Kentucky. The Wildcats and the Spartans play the opener this evening with Kansas and Duke playing the late game. Kentucky and Mich State have played 25 times and UK leads the series 14-11. Kentucky has won 2 of 3 Champions Classic games with Mich State, including the last 2 in a row.

(I wrote this back in August) According to various sources I've read, the off-season for Mich State went about as poorly as it could have gone. Gabe Brown and Marcus Bingham both had another year of eligibility remaining (due to Covid) but both decided to forgo the extra year and enter the NBA draft. To make matters worse, up-and-coming would-be sophomore guard Max Christie (who ended up as #2 in scoring last season) decided to test the NBA waters as well and ended up signing with an agent, ending his eligibility. To add insult to injury, their presumed would-be starter at center, Julius Marble, decided to enter the transfer portal and ended up at TX A&M. (we'll see him later in the season) Many prognosticators expect Mich State to be at best a bubble team for the NCAA tournament this season and possibly could end the 24-year streak for the Spartans making the NCAA-T. That streak is tied for the 3rd longest in NCAA men's basketball history and is the 2nd longest active streak. Izzo's teams aren't built for early departures and their 2 incoming freshmen aren't expected to be immediate impact guys. They lack dynamic scorers who can create for themselves on this team.

When you look at the Spartans’ personnel, the strength of the returners is found in their backcourt. They return their 2 starting guards from a season ago. Their starting point guard is AJ Hoggard, a 6-4 210lb Junior who has averaged 10.5 points, 7.0 assists, and 2.5 rebounds in their 2 games so far. He is 0-3 on the season from 3pt range and has not been a very good 3pt shooter for his career with the Spartans. He shot 22% from 3 last season. His does his damage by getting into the lane and scoring on short jumpers and around the rim, and finding open men as a pass-first point. His partner in the backcourt is the other returning starter, shooting guard Tyson Walker, a 6-0 175lb Senior who has averaged 9.0 points, 4.0 assists, and 3.0reb in the first 2 games. He’s a much better 3pt shooter and has made 5-11 on the season for 45.5%. He shot 47% from 3 last season, so UK will have to keep a close eye on him. He will make open shots.

Back in August, I wasn’t sure which direction Izzo would go with his 5th starter, maybe to a guard or another forward. He decided to go big, which tells you about the pace he will prefer this season. That 5th starter has been Joey Hauser for the first 2 games. Hauser is a 6-9 230lb Senior forward who has averaged 10.0 points and 5.5 rebounds and has shot 4-11 from 3 in the first 2 games for 36.4%. He shot 41% from 3 last season, so he has that in his arsenal. The anchor down low for the Spartans is Mady Sissiko, a 6-9 235 Junior who has averaged 9.0 points and 7.5 rebounds in 2 games. He is built similarly to Oscar Tshiebwe, though he lacks Oscar’s skill. He is a big body, though, and will be a handful down low. The 3rd member of the frontcourt is the guy I expected would start at the 4, Malik Hall. He is a 6-8 225lb Senior averaging 8.0 points and 7.0 rebounds so far this season. He has shot 1-5 from 3 in their first 2 games, though he averaged 43% from 3 last season. From the bench, MSU’s 2 most important players are Guard Jaden Akins and 6-6 wing forward Pierre Brooks. We will see as much of those 2 as the starters.

Tom Izzo has decided to go big with his lineup early this season, perhaps because he knew he’d be facing Gonzaga and Kentucky and would need rebounding help. Their pace is also very deliberate so far this year. Even in their exhibition win, they only scored 73 points against Grand Valley State. And then in their opener against Northern Arizona, they scored 73 again. Against Gonzaga, they only scored 63. So, it’s pretty clear what Izzo’s plan is this season. Slow the game down, run the clock, limit opponents’ possessions, and keep the game in the low 70s for a final. The truth is, he doesn’t have many other options. He knows he can’t run with a team like Kentucky which has multiple scoring guards and love to push the pace.

My big questions for this game are about how Oscar Tshiebwe will play- will he be effective? Will he be in game shape, coming off this knee injury? Sissoko isn’t a great offensive threat but he will be a handful on the glass. How will Collins play if he plays? On paper, this should be a win for UK, but we all know Tom Izzo’s team will fight to the finish in this game and they will do their best to slow the pace and keep the game a low-scoring contest. UK will have to execute in the half-court in this game to win. Oscar returning will help immensely with that, if he can be effective. Even if he can rebound some, it will make this a much easier game. KenPom predicts UK 74 Mich St 66, Vegas line is UK-6.5 with an over/under of 141.5. My prediction: UK 78 Mich St 68
Thanks for doing this. I hope I am being too pessimistic but , I will be surprised if Oscar can get in over 17-18 minutes considering how long he’s been out .

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Thanks for doing this. I hope I am being too pessimistic but , I will be surprised if Oscar can get in over 17-18 minutes considering how long he’s been out .
You may be right. I think it will depend on what the team needs from him as the game progresses. I don't want him to overdo it, but knowing Oscar he will give all he can.

I hope we push the pace(you know fast paste) because I don't see State being able to go up and down the floor with us all night. They played the Zags tough but not sure they can replicate that effort tonight. Please Cal don't settle for a rock fight and play into their hands

Good evaluation IL-Dub. Thanks for the information.

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out. I think up-tempo definitely favors UK, so I expect Izzo to play for half-court sets. If our bigs a) play and b) stay out of foul trouble, I think UK wins going away.

You may be right. I think it will depend on what the team needs from him as the game progresses. I don't want him to overdo it, but knowing Oscar he will give all he can.
I’m also curious how many minutes Ugonna will play if Oscar is limited. Cal might think this moment is too “big” for him at this point. But I would expect Ware to get in foul trouble if he plays many minutes against a physical team like Michigan State .

I’m also curious how many minutes Ugonna will play if Oscar is limited. Cal might think this moment is too “big” for him at this point. But I would expect Ware to get in foul trouble if he plays many minutes against a physical team like Michigan State .
I hope Cal is willing to find out if the Big U is big enough for the moment. There is so much we haven't seen from UK (O, Collins, Reeves against good competition and Wheeler going full speed) State hasn't seen it either I hope they are in for a shock.

Great write up. MSU will be an interesting team this year. Prognosticators all have their doubts but fans of the sport, like most on this board, probably recognize the names of all of their top 6 or so. This is a big game for UK as they aspire for a special season. A loss tonight would put a ton of pressure on Sunday. I don’t see any potential/likely losses really after this week until the UCLA game on 12/17. Michigan just doesn’t have the guards to be a real threat imo.

3 games in 5 days, let’s start it off right!

Thanks IL Wildcat, enjoy reading these reports. Hope you guy are correct on the win tonight. For some reason playing against Izzo coach team worries me.

It seems like Izzos teams are always great at cutting off the drive. That killed us in the Twins game. They couldn't break down their defenders and MSU was able to force a lot of turnovers which turned into points for them.

I think Wheeler's best asset is being able to drive on almost anyone. He might get in too deep without a release option sometimes. But his ability to break past the perimeter defense should be helpful.

Beyond that, we need Fredrick and Reeves to keep hitting outside shots.

It seems like Izzos teams are always great at cutting off the drive. That killed us in the Twins game. They couldn't break down their defenders and MSU was able to force a lot of turnovers which turned into points for them.

I think Wheeler's best asset is being able to drive on almost anyone. He might get in too deep without a release option sometimes. But his ability to break past the perimeter defense should be helpful.

Beyond that, we need Fredrick and Reeves to keep hitting outside shots.

Wheeler just needs to quit getting airborne so much. He is so good with a live dribble that he would be even more lethal if he would keep his dribble alive until the play is definitely there.

He needs to be ok with dribbling into, thru, and out of the lane sometimes instead of thinking he HAS to make a play once his feet touch the lane.

Scouting Michigan State

2022-23 Schedule

Game Information:

Probable Starters

Bench

KenPom Analysis
Mich St Best Numbers
Mich St Worst Numbers

TALE OF THE TAPE
UK
STATISTIC MSU
86.0 Pts Per Game 68.0
44.0 Rebounds PG 39.0
21.0 Assists PG 14.0
8.0 Blocks PG 3.5
9.5 Steals PG 7.5
12.5 Turnovers PG 12.5
.504 FG Pct. .427
.512 3-Pt FG Pct. .279
.605 FT Pct. .667
1.7 Assist/TO Ratio 1.1

Analysis

Thanks IL Wildcat, I always look forward to your game breakdowns. Now, I'm more nervous than before though. I see Izzo slowing it to a snails pace to have a chance to beat us in a close struggle at the end. He is a wise coach. Even if we have more talent.

Thanks IL Wildcat, I always look forward to your game breakdowns. Now, I'm more nervous than before though. I see Izzo slowing it to a snails pace to have a chance to beat us in a close struggle at the end. He is a wise coach. Even if we have more talent.
Yeah, he will have a plan to overcome their deficiencies, without a doubt. I think the plan so far has been to be very deliberate, make it a half-court game, and try to out-execute teams. I think UK's defense will be a major key tonight. I don't think Mich St will be able to score with much efficiency because our defense is really good. We just need to rebound and we'll be good on the defensive end. If Oscar can rebound some, we're in good shape. Offensively, our good shooting needs to continue. If we're making threes at a decent percentage, it will be a win. I won't say a "comfortable" win because games against Izzo's teams are rarely comfortable. If we're not making threes, it will be a struggle that comes down to the end, like their game with Gonzaga.

Wheeler just needs to quit getting airborne so much. He is so good with a live dribble that he would be even more lethal if he would keep his dribble alive until the play is definitely there.

He needs to be ok with dribbling into, thru, and out of the lane sometimes instead of thinking he HAS to make a play once his feet touch the lane.
Which is funny because I saw him do that at Georgia several times even against UK. I think Cal has told him to get the shot off and even if he misses they will get the rebound.

For some reason think the Cats are going to run Michigan St out of the gym. Not overly impressed with their talent level. I know it’s early but I’ve got the cats 84-69. A day after completing the best class in years, the cats will handle the Spartans. It’s great to be a Cats fan

For some reason think the Cats are going to run Michigan St out of the gym. Not overly impressed with their talent level. I know it’s early but I’ve got the cats 84-69. A day after completing the best class in years, the cats will handle the Spartans. It’s great to be a Cats fan
It could happen but not likely.(a lot of weird stuff happens early in the season) Hoping for a KU last year type beat down.

Scouting Michigan State

2022-23 Schedule

Game Information:

Probable Starters

Bench

KenPom Analysis
Mich St Best Numbers
Mich St Worst Numbers

TALE OF THE TAPE
UK
STATISTIC MSU
86.0 Pts Per Game 68.0
44.0 Rebounds PG 39.0
21.0 Assists PG 14.0
8.0 Blocks PG 3.5
9.5 Steals PG 7.5
12.5 Turnovers PG 12.5
.504 FG Pct. .427
.512 3-Pt FG Pct. .279
.605 FT Pct. .667
1.7 Assist/TO Ratio 1.1

Analysis

Thanks for these. I appreciate the time and effort it must take to do these every game but I'm glad you do.

Scouting Michigan State

2022-23 Schedule

Game Information:

Probable Starters

Bench

KenPom Analysis
Mich St Best Numbers
Mich St Worst Numbers

TALE OF THE TAPE
UK
STATISTIC MSU
86.0 Pts Per Game 68.0
44.0 Rebounds PG 39.0
21.0 Assists PG 14.0
8.0 Blocks PG 3.5
9.5 Steals PG 7.5
12.5 Turnovers PG 12.5
.504 FG Pct. .427
.512 3-Pt FG Pct. .279
.605 FT Pct. .667
1.7 Assist/TO Ratio 1.1

Analysis

If you could rate the other team's cheerleaders you would have everything covered

• Haha
Scouting Michigan State

2022-23 Schedule

Game Information:

Probable Starters

Bench

KenPom Analysis
Mich St Best Numbers
Mich St Worst Numbers

TALE OF THE TAPE
UK
STATISTIC MSU
86.0 Pts Per Game 68.0
44.0 Rebounds PG 39.0
21.0 Assists PG 14.0
8.0 Blocks PG 3.5
9.5 Steals PG 7.5
12.5 Turnovers PG 12.5
.504 FG Pct. .427
.512 3-Pt FG Pct. .279
.605 FT Pct. .667
1.7 Assist/TO Ratio 1.1

Analysis

Worthy of ILL. Thanks ILL!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT