ADVERTISEMENT

Scouting Kentucky

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
Well, we got a good look at the pieces for this UK team during the week in the Bahamas, so I thought I'd scout these guys as if I'm an upcoming opponent.

For the purpose of this scouting report, I am going to use the lineup we saw several times this week, the one that started the 2nd half of Sunday's game against the Bahamas Select team. With that game still in doubt, I think it's likely the coaching staff showed their hand a little bit right there. For stats, I will use the 2021-22 season stats, wherever the player was. I'm using Fredrick's Iowa stats. Here was that 2nd half starting line-up from Sunday.

Probable Starters
#34 C Oscar Tshiebwe 6-9 255lb Sr 17.4pts, 15.1reb, 1.7stls, 1.6blks
#4 PF Damion Collins 6-9 210lb So 2.9pts, 2.0reb, 85.7ft% (in 7.3mpg)
#0 SF Jacob Toppin 6-9 205lb Sr 6.2pts, 3.2reb, 40% from 3 (in 17.8mpg)
#22 SG Cason Wallace 6-4 193lb Fr 19.9pts, 7.4reb, 6.1ast as a HS Sr
#2 PG Sahvir Wheeler 5-9 180lb Sr 10.1pts, 6.9ast, 2.6reb

Key Reserves
#12 G Antonio Reeves 6-5 205lb Sr 20.1pts, 3.5reb, 1.8ast, 1.1stl, 39% from 3 (at IL State)
#24 F Chris Livingston 6-6 220lb Fr 31.1pts, 15.8reb, 6.5ast, 4.7stl, 4.3blk as a HS Sr
#3 G Adou Thiero 6-6 200lb Fr 23.3pts, 10.3reb, 5.9ast, 3.9stl, 2.3blks as a HS Sr
#55 C Lance Ware 6-9 235 Jr 1.5pts, 1.9reb (in 6.2mpg)
#1 G CJ Fredrick 6-3 185lb RS Sr 8.8pts, 2.3ast, 1.5reb, 46.6% from 3 in 2 seasons at Iowa
#? C Ugonna Kingsley Onyenso 6-11 225lb Fr 11.4pts, 9.0reb, 5.7blks as a HS Junior

Analysis: Any scouting report of 2022-23 Kentucky must begin with the returning unanimous player of the year- Oscar Tshiebwe. Oscar is a 6-9 255lb senior bull down low who believes every rebound belongs to him. His offensive game has steadily improved while at UK and he has now developed an effective jump hook with either hand. He will also score on put back dunks and garbage buckets around the rim, on offensive rebounds, as well as by running the floor well and finishing in transition. He led the nation in both offensive rebounding and total rebounds in 2021-22 and becomes the first unanimous player of the year to return to school since Tyler Hansbrough. In addition to leading UK in rebounds, Tshiebwe also led the team in points, steals, and blocks. If you can't keep Oscar off the boards, you have very little chance of beating this UK team, even if they aren't making shots.

Joining Oscar in the frontcourt this season are Damion Collins and Jacob Toppin, who are both returnees from 2021-22. Both of these players have improved dramatically in their time at UK. Jacob Toppin was a significant contributor to last season's UK team, but he was sharing minutes with starting forward Keion Brooks, who has transferred to the Washington Huskies for his senior season. As a starter and getting the bulk of the minutes, Toppin is looking to have a breakout season. He is a 6-9 jumping jack who boasts a 42 inch vertical leap and has developed a mid-range jumper that is very difficult to block. He has also been working on his 3pt shooting in his time at UK. He shot a very respectable 40% from 3 in 2021-22 but only had 10 attempts on the season. He has excellent quickness, improved ball skills, and can defend well in open space even against smaller guards, which enables him to play the small forward position for the Wildcats. Damion Collins is a very intriguing player for UK. Out of high school, he was thought of as a potential one and done for UK, but his lack of strength proved to be a detriment to him in the 2021-22 season. He had several flashes of ability during the season but he struggled with consistency and just getting pushed around too often, unable to make a move and often getting the ball stripped due to lack of strength. He came to UK at about 190lbs (soaking wet) but is now up to 210lbs and has added some muscle and strength. His measurables are off the charts, at 6-9 and a 7-4 wing-span and also a 44 inch vertical leap. He has a very nice touch on his jumper and is an excellent free throw shooter as well. Collins is a guy who could break-out in a huge way this season and make this UK team dominant. With Tshiebwe, Collins, and Toppin all at 6-9 and able to block shots, UK's inerior defense becomes very formidable.

In the backcourt, you have to start with Sahvir Wheeler. In fact, after Oscar Tshiebwe, I would argue the next guy you must address on any scouting report is Wheeler. He's the straw that stirs the drink for these Cats. He is the fastest guy on the team and usually the fastest guy end to end on the floor in any game. It has been said that he is the best open floor point guard in the nation and few would argue. He has led the SEC in assists for 2 consecutive seasons, in 2020-21 at Georgia and in 2021-22 at Kentucky. In that same time period, he has also led all major conference players in assists per game. In total assists in 2021, he finished 5th nationally. In 2022, he finished 4th nationally. In his one season at UK, he ranks 4th historically in overall assists in a season and 2nd in assists per game, trailing only Tyler Ulis, just edging Roger Harden and John Wall. Wheeler struggles shooting from 3 but if he gets into the lane he can beat you in multiple ways. He is an excellent finisher at the rim, even against much bigger players. His weaknesses are 3pt shooting and getting in too deep and turning it over while trying to do too much. Joining Wheeler in the backcourt is freshman Cason Wallace, a Richardson, TX product who has the entire package. Most recruiting services listed him as a combo guard for that very reason. He can play the point if needed, but he's also excellent off the ball. He's very strong for a freshman and is built for D1 basketball already. He is excellent driving the ball has an arsenal of moves in the lane, where may pull up for a jumper, shoot a floater, or take it to the rim for the dunk. He is also a good 3pt shooter, which he displayed during UK's Bahamas exhibitions while making 6-15 for 40% from distance. He has excellent pace to his game as well, refuses to be hurried, and can finish through contact.

From the bench, UK has a multitude of weapons at their disposal. I guess if you are looking where to start, you'd have to look at the guy who led the team in scoring in the Bahamas, Antonio Reeves. It was uncertain how Reeves would transition from IL State to Kentucky because of the potential increase in speed and competition. I think that has been answered in the affirmative at this point. Reeves has not only looked comfortable, he has thrived thus far. He scored 20.1 points per game in 2021-22 at IL State, so we knew he could make shots, but he has shown just how dangerous he can be. Against the toughest, most experienced squad UK faced in the Bahamas, Reeves basically put the game away in a 2nd half, one-man run on a barrage of 3-pointers. Chris Livingston might be the next most dangerous guy coming off the bench. He has shown why he was a top 10 recruit and he has the body to match his skills. at 6-6 220, he plays much bigger than his height. He is another guy who has excellent athleticism and strength. He is not afraid to get in there and mix things up, even with those 30+ year old men UK was playing on Sunday. Adou Thiero was one of the surprises of the exhibition tour for UK in the Bahamas. He's a 6-6 guy who is still growing according to those close to him. I think he was considered a bit raw by most experts and he was not expected to contribute much, but he has shown he can do a little bit of everything. He's very strong, an excellent defender, can block shots, likes to step into passing lanes, and just has a nose for the ball. He also showed he can score in both transition and in the half-court. He shot 3-6 from three during these games.

We didn't see as much of CJ Fredrick or Lance Ware in these exhibitions, but we already know what they will bring to the table. CJ Fredrick is still working his way back from injuries that have sidelined him for 2 seasons but he is a career 47% 3pt shooter and is also an excellent on-ball and help defender. He will get more minutes as he continues to work his way back. Lance Ware has developed a reputation as an enforcer and a guy who plays with intensity and attitude. He has become a serviceable back-up for Oscar. Now, the final piece to this puzzle is the guy who just reclassified to the 2021-22 class and hasn't joined the team yet. Ugonna Kingsley Onyenso is a 6-11 225lb center who may challenge Ware for backup duties at center by the end of the season. He only played since January at Putnam Science Institute in Connecticut, but the team went undefeated with him as the anchor down low. In 20 games, 11.4 points, 9.0 rebounds, and 5.7 blocks. Before coming to the U.S. he was involved in the NBA Academy in Africa and actually became the youngest player to make the senior men's Nigerian team. UK's depth may be as good as it has been since 2015.

The outlook for this UK team is very positive this season. They are a consensus top 5 preseason team and are predicted to be a 1-seed come March. After seeing this group in action, I am very excited for the season to begin. The schedule is definitely an upgrade from last season and includes Michigan State in the Champions Classic on Nov 15, Gonzaga at Spokane on November 20, Michigan in London on December 4, UCLA in New York (in MSG) for the CBS Sports Classic on December 17, Louisville at Rupp on New Year's Eve, and Kansas in Rupp on January 28. All of this in addition to the SEC schedule, which will include 9 home and 9 road games. Here's hoping for a great season.

Last edited:
I prefer we start Reeves or Livingston at the 3 with Toppin at the 4 but the defensive possibilities of your starting lineup are epic. I like Collins and he looks improved, but it will be interesting. Toppin seems to have improved his handle & shooting enough to justify him at the 3 if that is the route UK goes to start the season.

I prefer we start Reeves or Livingston at the 3 with Toppin at the 4 but the defensive possibilities of your starting lineup are epic. I like Collins and he looks improved, but it will be interesting. Toppin seems to have improved his handle & shooting enough to justify him at the 3 if that is the route UK goes to start the season.
Yeah, I think I may agree with you. I think Cal may want Collins jumping center for the opening tip. I think he also likes that shot blocker in there, too. And since he has so many options, if Collins isn't producing, he may move Toppin to the 4 and bring in Livingston or Reeves at the 3. Or depending on who we're playing, he may leave Toppin at the 3 and bring in Livingston at the 4. Livingston and Toppin are both so versatile. The good thing is that we have options.

Yep, totally agree. As much as I love Collins, I don't think he should start.

Michigan State will try to turn it into an ugly grinder while the Zags will run with us. Look forward to the latter game.
I’m worried if we lose the Zag game everyone will melt down and give up on the season..

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I'd rather slide Toppin to the 4 and have Reeves start at the 3. I think that's our most balanced and well-rounded lineup. With Collins, Livingston, CJ, Ware, and Thiero all getting minutes off the bench. I think we legitimately have 10 guys that can play this year.
Yep, I like that lineup, too. Reeves may well end up starting at the 3 and Toppin at the 4. I think that lineup is our best scoring lineup. I just wouldn't be surprised for Cal to start Collins because he wants to win the tip and likes to have a shot blocker out there. I could be wrong, of course. I just think that lineup which started the 2nd half, when the game was in doubt, is a tell.

Bottom line, though, all of these guys will get their opportunities and I think they're gonna be a very good team. 👍

Well, we got a good look at the pieces for this UK team during the week in the Bahamas, so I thought I'd scout these guys as if I'm an upcoming opponent.

For the purpose of this scouting report, I am going to use the lineup we saw several times this week, the one that started the 2nd half of Sunday's game against the Bahamas Select team. With that game still in doubt, I think it's likely the coaching staff showed their hand a little bit right there. For stats, I will use the 2021-22 season stats, wherever the player was. I'm using Fredrick's Iowa stats. Here was that 2nd half starting line-up from Sunday.

Probable Starters

Key Reserves
#12 G Antonio Reeves 6-5 205lb Sr 20.1pts, 3.5reb, 1.8ast, 1.1stl, 39% from 3 (at IL State)
#24 F Chris Livingston 6-6 220lb Fr 31.1pts, 15.8reb, 6.5ast, 4.7stl, 4.3blk as a HS Sr
#3 G Adou Thiero 6-6 200lb Fr 23.3pts, 10.3reb, 5.9ast, 3.9stl, 2.3blks as a HS Sr
#1 G CJ Fredrick 6-3 185lb RS Sr 8.8pts, 2.3ast, 1.5reb, 46.6% from 3 in 2 seasons at Iowa
#? C Ugonna Kingsley Onyenso 6-11 225lb Fr 11.4pts, 9.0reb, 5.7blks as a HS Junior

Analysis: Any scouting report of 2022-23 Kentucky must begin with the returning unanimous player of the year- Oscar Tshiebwe. Oscar is a 6-9 255lb senior bull down low who believes every rebound belongs to him. His offensive game has steadily improved while at UK and he has now developed an effective jump hook with either hand. He will also score on put back dunks and garbage buckets around the rim, on offensive rebounds, as well as by running the floor well and finishing in transition. He led the nation in both offensive rebounding and total rebounds in 2021-22 and becomes the first unanimous player of the year to return to school since Tyler Hansbrough. In addition to leading UK in rebounds, Tshiebwe also led the team in points, steals, and blocks. If you can't keep Oscar off the boards, you have very little chance of beating this UK team, even if they aren't making shots.

Joining Oscar in the frontcourt this season are Damion Collins and Jacob Toppin, who are both returnees from 2021-22. Both of these players have improved dramatically in their time at UK. Jacob Toppin was a significant contributor to last season's UK team, but he was sharing minutes with starting forward Keion Brooks, who has transferred to the Washington Huskies for his senior season. As a starter and getting the bulk of the minutes, Toppin is looking to have a breakout season. He is a 6-9 jumping jack who boasts a 42 inch vertical leap and has developed a mid-range jumper that is very difficult to block. He has also been working on his 3pt shooting in his time at UK. He shot a very respectable 40% from 3 in 2021-22 but only had 10 attempts on the season. He has excellent quickness, improved ball skills, and can defend well in open space even against smaller guards, which enables him to play the small forward position for the Wildcats. Damion Collins is a very intriguing player for UK. Out of high school, he was thought of as a potential one and done for UK, but his lack of strength proved to be a detriment to him in the 2021-22 season. He had several flashes of ability during the season but he struggled with consistency and just getting pushed around too often, unable to make a move and often getting the ball stripped due to lack of strength. He came to UK at about 190lbs (soaking wet) but is now up to 210lbs and has added some muscle and strength. His measurables are off the charts, at 6-9 and a 7-4 wing-span and also a 44 inch vertical leap. He has a very nice touch on his jumper and is an excellent free throw shooter as well. Collins is a guy who could break-out in a huge way this season and make this UK team dominant. With Tshiebwe, Collins, and Toppin all at 6-9 and able to block shots, UK's inerior defense becomes very formidable.

In the backcourt, you have to start with Sahvir Wheeler. In fact, after Oscar Tshiebwe, I would argue the next guy you must address on any scouting report is Wheeler. He's the straw that stirs the drink for these Cats. He is the fastest guy on the team and usually the fastest guy end to end on the floor in any game. It has been said that he is the best open floor point guard in the nation and few would argue. He has led the SEC in assists for 2 consecutive seasons, in 2020-21 at Georgia and in 2021-22 at Kentucky. In that same time period, he has also led all major conference players in assists per game. In total assists in 2021, he finished 5th nationally. In 2022, he finished 4th nationally. In his one season at UK, he ranks 4th historically in overall assists in a season and 2nd in assists per game, trailing only Tyler Ulis, just edging Roger Harden and John Wall. Wheeler struggles shooting from 3 but if he gets into the lane he can beat you in multiple ways. He is an excellent finisher at the rim, even against much bigger players. His weaknesses are 3pt shooting and getting in too deep and turning it over while trying to do too much. Joining Wheeler in the backcourt is freshman Cason Wallace, a Richardson, TX product who has the entire package. Most recruiting services listed him as a combo guard for that very reason. He can play the point if needed, but he's also excellent off the ball. He's very strong for a freshman and is built for D1 basketball already. He is excellent driving the ball has an arsenal of moves in the lane, where may pull up for a jumper, shoot a floater, or take it to the rim for the dunk. He is also a good 3pt shooter, which he displayed during UK's Bahamas exhibitions while making 6-15 for 40% from distance. He has excellent pace to his game as well, refuses to be hurried, and can finish through contact.

From the bench, UK has a multitude of weapons at their disposal. I guess if you are looking where to start, you'd have to look at the guy who led the team in scoring in the Bahamas, Antonio Reeves. It was uncertain how Reeves would transition from IL State to Kentucky because of the potential increase in speed and competition. I think that has been answered in the affirmative at this point. Reeves has not only looked comfortable, he has thrived thus far. He scored 20.1 points per game in 2021-22 at IL State, so we knew he could make shots, but he has shown just how dangerous he can be. Against the toughest, most experienced squad UK faced in the Bahamas, Reeves basically put the game away in a 2nd half, one-man run on a barrage of 3-pointers. Chris Livingston might be the next most dangerous guy coming off the bench. He has shown why he was a top 10 recruit and he has the body to match his skills. at 6-6 220, he plays much bigger than his height. He is another guy who has excellent athleticism and strength. He is not afraid to get in there and mix things up, even with those 30+ year old men UK was playing on Sunday. Adou Thiero was one of the surprises of the exhibition tour for UK in the Bahamas. He's a 6-6 guy who is still growing according to those close to him. I think he was considered a bit raw by most experts and he was not expected to contribute much, but he has shown he can do a little bit of everything. He's very strong, an excellent defender, can block shots, likes to step into passing lanes, and just has a nose for the ball. He also showed he can score in both transition and in the half-court. He shot 3-6 from three during these games.

We didn't see as much of CJ Fredrick or Lance Ware in these exhibitions, but we already know what they will bring to the table. CJ Fredrick is still working his way back from injuries that have sidelined him for 2 seasons but he is a career 47% 3pt shooter and is also an excellent on-ball and help defender. He will get more minutes as he continues to work his way back. Lance Ware has developed a reputation as an enforcer and a guy who plays with intensity and attitude. He has become a serviceable back-up for Oscar. Now, the final piece to this puzzle is the guy who just reclassified to the 2021-22 class and hasn't joined the team yet. Ugonna Kingsley Onyenso is a 6-11 225lb center who may challenge Ware for backup duties at center by the end of the season. He only played since January at Putnam Science Institute in Connecticut, but the team went undefeated with him as the anchor down low. In 20 games, 11.4 points, 9.0 rebounds, and 5.7 blocks. Before coming to the U.S. he was involved in the NBA Academy in Africa and actually became the youngest player to make the senior men's Nigerian team. UK's depth may be as good as it has been since 2015.

The outlook for this UK team is very positive this season. They are a consensus top 5 preseason team and are predicted to be a 1-seed come March. After seeing this group in action, I am very excited for the season to begin. The schedule is definitely an upgrade from last season and includes Michigan State in the Champions Classic on Nov 15, Gonzaga at Spokane on November 20, Michigan in London on December 4, UCLA in New York (in MSG) for the CBS Sports Classic on December 17, Louisville at Rupp on New Year's Eve, and Kansas in Rupp on January 28. All of this in addition to the SEC schedule, which will include 9 home and 9 road games. Here's hoping for a great season.
Collins didn’t start the second half Sunday. Livingston did.

I’ve thought all along that this would be the starting five by season’s end:

G Wheeler
G Wallace
F Livingston
F Toppin
F Tshiebwe

I didn’t see anything in the Bahamas to really change my mind about that.
Subbing in Reeves for Chris. Experienced mature guy to start. Shooter scorer to spread the floor. Been there.

Subbing in Reeves for Chris. Experienced mature guy to start. Shooter scorer to spread the floor. Been there.
I would be fine with that, but Livingston is a slightly better defender and rebounder and Cal goes defense/rebounding first. And Livingston’s stroke looked pretty good as well.

But I can see a case being made for Reeves. Offensively, the dude is a beast and his defense was solid.

Probable Starters

Key Reserves

That sounds like a 🏆 team if I've ever seen one...On paper. Good gawd, sounds terrifying probably to say a Gonzaga fan.. Let's Gooooooo!!!

Probable Starters

Key Reserves

Scouting, if I am opponent: would not even try to keep Oscar off of the boards on my offensive end, because you likely won't and then you will give up 2 things by trying - boards and the fast break. Send everyone back at all costs to stop the fast break and force UK into half court sets, which they still like to take some long 2's. Face guard the 3 point shooters that are in the game - probably 2 of them at a time, and sag everyone else to clog the lane. Force UK to beat me with 3 point shooting (and they might anyway).
Then on the defensive end, sag off Wheeler - way off, like 2 feet in the lane off. If he hits his Avg 0.5 open 3's against me, so be it if I can play 5 on 4. Even if he hits a couple of 3's on me, so what.
Hopefully I have either a stretch 4 or a 4 I who can drive from the perimeter when Collins is in. Collins can't guard the perimeter and if he does come out, he can't stop the drive. Toppin occasionally lapses on defense, but not often.
Take everything straight at Oscar and try to get 2 fouls ASAP. when Ware comes in, drive everything into his face - he will foul you.
Crash boards on defensive end. If dont get the rebound, body up hard on Toppin, Collins, Ware and force them to finish through contact.

Back to offensive end: PnR, PnR, Back door, back door, cut, screen, double screen until you get the matchup you want or someone misses a switch - it happens more than I like.

Most of these things aren't novel - they've been used against us before.
Hopefully, we (UK) have enough offensive fire power to hurt teams this year (when defenses sag), Cal will play and greenlight 3 shooters in the lineups most of the time, and I know our straight up defense will be smothering, then none of the above things will be enough to beat us (UK) more than a few times this year.
If we get the right draw, we can easily be a FF team and with a little luck, #9. Hopefully UNC doesn't have an answer for us in the FF somewhere.

I like Reeves off the bench, unless he's playing a different style than we saw in the Bahamas.

To me, it looked like he was still trying to carry the load the way he had to at Illinois State. He took 42 shots, but only had 6 assists. As a starter, he really needs to be more team oriented and ensure his teammates are involved in the scoring. But as instant offense off the bench (especially when the team is struggling to score) he could be extremely effective and valuable. I like this role for him at lot.

I like Reeves off the bench, unless he's playing a different style than we saw in the Bahamas.

To me, it looked like he was still trying to carry the load the way he had to at Illinois State. He took 42 shots, but only had 6 assists. As a starter, he really needs to be more team oriented and ensure his teammates are involved in the scoring. But as instant offense off the bench (especially when the team is struggling to score) he could be extremely effective and valuable. I like this role for him at lot.
I agree kelzer. His style is perfect for an instant offense, a 6th man of the year kind of player. I'm reminded of Vinnie Johnson for the Detroit Pistons back in the late 80s, early 90s. They called him "the microwave" because he could come in cold and light up the scoreboard in a hurry.

The closer I look at what Reeves did in the Bahamas, the more impressive it is. He was actually the 7th player in terms of minutes in the 4 games. He didn't even play 20 minutes per game- 19.3 minutes per game he played. And in those 19 minutes he averaged 17 points! Wow! If ever there was a guy who could provide instant offense, it's this guy. I have a feeling that he's gonna be pushing to start if he's not already. Extrapolate those numbers over 40 minutes and it's 35.2 points per game!

I agree kelzer. His style is perfect for an instant offense, a 6th man of the year kind of player. I'm reminded of Vinnie Johnson for the Detroit Pistons back in the late 80s, early 90s. They called him "the microwave" because he could come in cold and light up the scoreboard in a hurry.

The closer I look at what Reeves did in the Bahamas, the more impressive it is. He was actually the 7th player in terms of minutes in the 4 games. He didn't even play 20 minutes per game- 19.3 minutes per game he played. And in those 19 minutes he averaged 17 points! Wow! If ever there was a guy who could provide instant offense, it's this guy. I have a feeling that he's gonna be pushing to start if he's not already. Extrapolate those numbers over 40 minutes and it's 35.2 points per game!
We need his shooting yesterday. He comes off the bench and were down 10 because we are being zoned, whats the point?

We need his shooting yesterday. He comes off the bench and were down 10 because we are being zoned, whats the point?
I made my point. That if he turns out to be a black hole the team as a whole won't be effective on offense. Maybe he'll help open things up inside, but we won't know until we play some real competition.

I agree. Don’t like Collins, toppin and Oscar at the same time.
When we add some exhibition/cupcake games before Michigan St., I can see Cal experimenting with Toppin at the 3, but unless it's successful I'm pretty confident he'll abandon that combination unless we're struggling inside against a bigger team.

This is the type of team Cal does well with. When one guy is not cutting it, he has another piece he can quickly put in. Plus referrees that all hate him will have a hard time sabatoging the game with fouls since we'll have so many to give.
That is a good point. The depth on this team makes it much more difficult for officials to take one or two guys out of the game early and kill the team's chances to win. That is really a huge benefit. Truth is, this team has the best chance to press for extended periods of time than most of Cal's teams. I think he could platoon as well, though I know that's a dirty word for some. I think we will see a lot of 2 and 3 subs, maybe even 4 subs coming in at a time.

Also, Toppin and Livingston each shot better from both 2 and 3 than Reeves, so I'm not sure why you're so convinced we can't hit outside shots without him.

I like Reeves a lot, but these 4 games don't reflect what the real schedule will look like at all, and don't forget that while Reeves was a great scorer at Illinois St., they finished last season 13-20. You might argue that he didn't have talent around him, but maybe he had talent, it's just that they didn't get enough opportunities to show it given that Reeves shot the ball over 500 times. That's well over 100 more shots than Oscar took last year.

I'm not saying Reeves won't prove to be a great and unselfish teammate, I'm just saying the jury's still out.

Also, Toppin and Livingston each shot better from both 2 and 3 than Reeves, so I'm not sure why you're so convinced we can't hit outside shots without him.

I like Reeves a lot, but these 4 games don't reflect what the real schedule will look like at all, and don't forget that while Reeves was a great scorer at Illinois St., they finished last season 13-20. You might argue that he didn't have talent around him, but maybe he had talent, it's just that they didn't get enough opportunities to show it given that Reeves shot the ball over 500 times. That's well over 100 more shots than Oscar took last year.

I'm not saying Reeves won't prove to be a great and unselfish teammate, I'm just saying the jury's still out.
I don’t recall the shooting % from the Bahamas games but it seemed like Reeves was our highest % shooter.
I love the kid and hope he starts or is first off the bench. He’s a natural scorer.

That's ILL.... (Yeah, I could have stated ...sick.... but I'd lose the affect.) :oops:

• Haha
Yeah, I think I may agree with you. I think Cal may want Collins jumping center for the opening tip. I think he also likes that shot blocker in there, too. And since he has so many options, if Collins isn't producing, he may move Toppin to the 4 and bring in Livingston or Reeves at the 3. Or depending on who we're playing, he may leave Toppin at the 3 and bring in Livingston at the 4. Livingston and Toppin are both so versatile. The good thing is that we have options.
Toppin will have no problem getting the opening tip..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT