ADVERTISEMENT

SCCY 9mm

scarolinacat

Sophomore
Jun 2, 2006
Anybody own one? Thinking about picking one up. Seems to have good reviews and great price point. Only thing negative I've heard is its looong trigger reset.

Depends on purpose, pride, etc. If you want a target shooter and its significantly less in price then I might look at them. If it's for protection then I may hold out for something a little more proven. That doesn't imply that some of the smaller brands are junk but there is a reason why law enforcement and military use Glock, S&W, Springfield, etc.

Now, if the price difference is huge and you can't afford anything else then consider buying slightly used or you can go with smaller companies. When it comes to protection anything is better than nothing. But if the price difference is smaller then I'm saving/waiting.

This is for conceal carry. The CPX-2 is more of a sub compact/pocket pistol. Price is about $250 with a no questions asked lifetime warranty. They are a newer company but are USA made. Plenty of YouTube reviews for whatever they are worth and most seem very positive.

What is the Paddock gun experts opinion of a Taurus ? I Just bought a .380 caliber Taurus. It will mainly stay in the nightstand for "just in case." Gun shop here was running a special, new $190 so I thought wtf, bought it, put the 6 bullet clip in, laid it in my nigh stand, and have not touch it. Been in there for 2 months.

While we are on handguns my brother is looking for a entry level around the $350 range for a 9mm or similar caliber.
He wants it for range shooting and I assume personal protection.

What's a good bang for your buck arms companies right now?
Atm a local shop has a Walther PPX for $349.

Originally posted by catsfanbgky:

What is the Paddock gun experts opinion of a Taurus ? I Just bought a .380 caliber Taurus. It will mainly stay in the nightstand for "just in case." Gun shop here was running a special, new $190 so I thought wtf, bought it, put the 6 bullet clip in, laid it in my nigh stand, and have not touch it. Been in there for 2 months.
Buying a Taurus is a lot like the old "buying a US-made car" joke. If you get one that was built on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, you are fine. If you get one made on Friday when everyone wants to leave for the weekend or on Monday when they are sunburned and hungover from the weekend, you're pretty much hosed.

VERY hit/miss on quality. Get a good one, and you're golden, but get a bad one and you're in warranty hell till you pawn it off on someone.

Take it out and put a couple hundred rounds through it before you rely on it to keep you safe.

Bought one for the wife back in November. Still in the lockbox, yet to take it shooting. Guy I bought it from owns a gun shop in Red Bank Tn, and he gave it good recs. He's good friends with my uncle that lives there, so I'm sure he wasn't just paying lip service. Aunt bought one too, but haven't asked how she likes it.

Long trigger pull is because it's single-action. I liked that because you can't pull the trigger unless you MEAN to pull the trigger.

Originally posted by catsfanbgky:
... so I thought wtf, bought it, put the 6 bullet clip in, laid it in my nigh stand, and have not touch it.
Kudos. It's always a good idea to go into a self-defense situation with an untested, unproven firearm.

Originally posted by KyFaninNC:
Not sure what that is. I bought a S/W sdv9 for $300, 2 months ago.
Did it come with the light mounted under the barrel?

Originally posted by BlueRaider22:
Depends on purpose, pride, etc. If you want a target shooter and its significantly less in price then I might look at them. If it's for protection then I may hold out for something a little more proven. That doesn't imply that some of the smaller brands are junk but there is a reason why law enforcement and military use Glock, S&W, Springfield, etc.

Now, if the price difference is huge and you can't afford anything else then consider buying slightly used or you can go with smaller companies. When it comes to protection anything is better than nothing. But if the price difference is smaller then I'm saving/waiting.
Sig Sauer is a very good gun and very popular with law enforcement.

Smith and Wesson is offering 3 free magazines with the purchase of an M&P through May 31st. I have one and LOVE it.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/MagazinePromotionRebateFormView?catalogId=750051&langId=-1&storeId=750001&krypto=K5oPv7AxCuczOhjPGDBnIw%3D%3D

Originally posted by Chuckinden:

Originally posted by KyFaninNC:
Not sure what that is. I bought a S/W sdv9 for $300, 2 months ago.
Did it come with the light mounted under the barrel?
No, but you can mount one, it has the rail.

Already have the S&W M&P 40. It came with 3 mags and night sights. Just a little too big to carry in the summer under a t-shirt.

My concealed carry is a S&W .38 revolver. I can palm it and it's a single/double action which is great in emergencies. New is about $330-350 but I've seen some slightly used for around $300 +/-

My CC is the Smith & Wesson MP Shield 9mm. Little toucher can fit just about anywhere without being detected. Only thing is you better be within about ten feet of what you want to hit with it.

My CC is the Smith & Wesson MP Shield 9mm. Little toucher can fit just about anywhere without being detected. Only thing is you better be within about ten feet of what you want to hit with it.
you must not be very accurate when you shoot, or dont practice much. i go to the range at least once a week, and can put a mag within a one inch circle at 7 yards

My CC is a Beretta Nano 9mm. Also have a snub nose .38 revolver for house and a .22 Harrington and Richardson for snakes and the such.

you must not be very accurate when you shoot, or dont practice much. i go to the range at least once a week, and can put a mag within a one inch circle at 7 yards

I can almost guarantee that you won't be nearly as accurate when the fit hits the shan.:D

But, I agree that Desperado's comments were a little extreme. My wife hardly comes with me to the range. She's probably only shot about 200 rds in her life. She can take my little .38 revolver and put all 5 shots in the chest of a target at 10 yds in about ~20 seconds.

M&P Shield .40 is a great overall carry.

In the summer when wearing shorts and lighter shirts the Sig Sauer P238 .380 is a fantastic pocket pistol for carry though the prices have shot up lately - they are at a premium currently.

I would recommend both.

ADVERTISEMENT