ADVERTISEMENT

Sandra Bland Controversy - Killed by Cops or Martyr?

Ok John, I respect you and your opinion but let me pose a couple of things to you. Maybe you can then understand my view.

1. If everyone blindly obeyed officers orders do you think that would stop another situation like this from happening?

2. What happens when a bonafide injustice is happening (i.e sexual misconduct, profiling, brutality). Is the person supposed to just do as the officer says then as well?

3. In cases where bonafide injustice happens, do you think the justice system will take care of the issue and punish the officer? Do you think the officer and his colleagues will allow an investigation to be conducted with integrity?

4. Does the police officer get any blame in the Sandra Bland situation, in your opinion?

5. Do you think this situation would have played out exactly the same if it was a white woman that displayed the same rebellious behavior?

Like I said I respect your opinion. I just think it's foolish to say simply obeying orders will stop this nonsense from happening again.

Because running from the police, resisting arrest and being an ignorant smartass has been so productive for black folks thus far, right? Its obvious what your agenda is. We all get it...yet again....(yawn).

All she had to do was stay calm and she gets a warning just like the girl before her. Is your false belief of thinking you're going to teach the police something worth your life? Not mine.
Evidently even doing what the cop tells you to will get you shot, as seen in the video above.

I have little respect for cops because they show little respect for anyone else. Sure there are some good ones but in this day and age they are nothing but domestic military. They all need to be put under civilian review boards and held accountable. Cops should be prosecuted in special military style tribunals imo. The only thing that will curb their excessive force is for them to start paying for it.

And yes, people have been killed by trigger happy cops after calling 911 for help.

She most likely had a bag in the car and swallowed it whole, lit the cigg to cover possible smell. Once in jail crapped it out and ate it. While high probably realized this would cost her the job she was to start soon and said F life!

It seems far fetched but a brain on drugs can conjure up anything and people on drugs KNOW exactly how to get around the system. People been sneaking drugs in jails for years like that.

It's the classic release of information to discredit the victim. Most of the recent cases of police brutality have had this happen.

1.Police officer commits human injustice.
2. Police department covers some important factoid in the case.
3. Police officer and department are put on trial in the court of public opinion. (rarely make it to the actual justice system.)
4. Random "damning" evidence is released (Mike Brown stealing cigars, Freddie Gray's arrest record, Sandra Bland toxicology report etc.) that suggests the victim was not was not worthy of grace. The officer is then justified.
5. Rinse and Repeat.

I think the Mike Brown cigar thing was VERY important and glad it did get out. It gave people a real good look at what he was really like on that day instead of the smiley graduation picture. It prevented the media from doing what they did with Trayvon and show him as some young innocent kid blowing out candles on his birthday cake.

I haven't read much about this case nor do I care to because no matter what the truth is, the same damn thing happens all the time. Another person is portrayed as a martyr for the black community and no matter what truth comes out., no one will change their predetermined stance.

But you know what? In tons of these cases, the ones killed always turn a small situation into something much bigger. Look, I can't stand cops but do you think talking shit to them, resisting arrest, refusing to listen, running away has ever worked for any of them? Even the most dispicable one where the cop killed the guy in South Carolina, the guy took off running over unpaid child support. So stupid.

The media never disappoints either. They love to cover this stuff but pass on the thousands of cases that don't fit the narrative.

The Cop certainly didn't handle the situation in a very professional way by a long shot.

I think the Mike Brown cigar thing was VERY important and glad it did get out. It gave people a real good look at what he was really like on that day instead of the smiley graduation picture. It prevented the media from doing what they did with Trayvon and show him as some young innocent kid blowing out candles on his birthday cake..

I agree, but George Zimmerman is utter gutter slime. Dude is a bigger piece of shit than Trayvon Martin. Seeing how George has conducted himself post trial. Makes me believe George murdered the kid in cold blood. He's an evil bastard.

Reactions: Mashburned
Thank god I don't deal with the public on an everyday basis in my job.

Working retail for a period of time really made me hate 95% of people.

Can't imagine why anyone would want to be a cop. Especially in this day and age. You get lambasted for enforcing the law the elected representatives of the people you're stopping put on the books.

Because running from the police, resisting arrest and being an ignorant smartass has been so productive for black folks thus far, right? Its obvious what your agenda is. We all get it...yet again....(yawn).

What's my agenda? Since you know so much about me? Tell me what the guy did from South Carolina, in the video I posted above? He followed all orders and was STILL filled with hot lead and then IT WAS LIED ABOUT! Again, in South Carolina another man (albeit he was fleeing) was shot in the back as he ran away and then IT WAS LIED ABOUT!! Does that not concern you even a little bit? Do you think it was warranted? Do you think these are isolated incidents?

Guys like you will never understand my point of view because you don't have my experiences and you don't care to learn about them.
I have never been to jail or even committed a crime and I still get treated as a threat. You will never empathize and you don't care to. That sir, is the definition of ignorant. Also, when did being an ignorant smart ass (your opinion not mine) become grounds for arrest?! I can't wait for the day where this police brutality/incompetence starts spilling over onto everyone's front doorstep. America will continue to let police move with unimpeachable power until this happens in a suburban area. Folks like you are the worst, always finding a way to justify and unjust system.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
The courtroom steps are not in front of the cop. You fight injustice where you can, but sometimes, some places are not the appropriate place. That is what most are saying. Are cops corrupt? Sure, some of them are. The Ohio case, the gun planting case, etc. However, what most of us are saying, is that its not the proper forum to try and enforce your rights in the middle of an argument who is legally allowed to kill you. Your grievances need to addressed other avenues.

The courtroom steps are not in front of the cop. You fight injustice where you can, but sometimes, some places are not the appropriate place. That is what most are saying. Are cops corrupt? Sure, some of them are. The Ohio case, the gun planting case, etc. However, what most of us are saying, is that its not the proper forum to try and enforce your rights in the middle of an argument who is legally allowed to kill you. Your grievances need to addressed other avenues.

I understand you point and appreciate the civility. My question is where do these people go to voice these grievances? It's obvious that the police departments are not the place to go. Let's say for the sake of the argument Sandra steps out of the car when prompted and is treated unfairly but goes free. Do you think the police would have given this issue any type of serious consideration? IMO, the police force is a fraternity. They cover each other's back when one of them is in trouble the others band around him and protect him. It's an us vs. them mentality. This is why I think we see such rebellion in the black community. These people are helpless. Nowhere to go no one to help unless something like this happens.

Zimmerman was railroaded. No question about that one. Trayvon Martin was not in any sense of the word a victim. He was perpetrating a felony assault when he was killed.

This case is completely different. The young lady was asked to put out her cigarette and when she asked if she had to do that the cop got pissed and ordered her out of the car. From that point forward everything goes to crap. This cop will be fired. You will see. He is clearly in the wrong with his conduct and no us citizen deserves to be treated like that over a friggen' illegal lane change ticket/warning.

Reactions: liveblue92
I think the Mike Brown cigar thing was VERY important and glad it did get out. It gave people a real good look at what he was really like on that day instead of the smiley graduation picture. It prevented the media from doing what they did with Trayvon and show him as some young innocent kid blowing out candles on his birthday cake.

I haven't read much about this case nor do I care to because no matter what the truth is, the same damn thing happens all the time. Another person is portrayed as a martyr for the black community and no matter what truth comes out., no one will change their predetermined stance.

But you know what? In tons of these cases, the ones killed always turn a small situation into something much bigger. Look, I can't stand cops but do you think talking shit to them, resisting arrest, refusing to listen, running away has ever worked for any of them? Even the most dispicable one where the cop killed the guy in South Carolina, the guy took off running over unpaid child support. So stupid.

The media never disappoints either. They love to cover this stuff but pass on the thousands of cases that don't fit the narrative.

The statement in bold sums up everything that is wrong in this case and any others that have or will come about. Indifference will destroy our society. Uninformed opinions are just as dangerous as lawless cops. These people are not martyrs and black people have been talking about police brutality for FAR longer than August 9th, 2014. It's just now coming into your consciousness so I guess I understand why you reject it's severity.

Reactions: Svarog
All police work for someone and that person is most likely a voted position. State police generally are controlled by the states governor. It's not hard to contact those people if you have issues with policy.

Thinking you have to make a scene, or stand on the spot is incredibly stupid.

It could be. Not the place to find out.

As far as how you change it? Well, we know the answer. It takes time, just like the civil rights movement in the South. Protests, Community Support, letters, media, calls, running for office, etc. All these things. Use the system to change the system. It can be done, it has been done. There are many options available to address grievances, even severe ones, in front of a barrel of a policeman's gun isnt one.

Basically, there are certain ways to handle any situation. Use the appropriate tool at the appropriate time.

No, we have Constitutional rights and we put police officers on the street that understand they cannot order a private citizen in their own automobile to throw away their personal property just because they want them to.

Police officer was wrong. He will be fired. Then hopefully his replacement will know the law he is ostensibly enforcing.

That said, that officer will be fired and I guarantee that.

No, we have Constitutional rights and we put police officers on the street that understand they cannot order a private citizen in their own automobile to throw away their personal property just because they want them to.
Man, I agree that her rights were violated, and police shouldnt have the power like that. Its unjust. However, there are always anomalies or outliers in any situation.

That being said, she didnt comply, and it looks like the cop did have the authority to do it. It was probably illegal, but screaming its wrong doesnt mean shit when facing down a gun. Cops strip that right from us all the time. That being said, the streets isnt the place to address that , unless you want to go to jail. You know why? The police will throw you in jail.

How about when you get out, or shut your mouth, you let people know then. Who knows, maybe she will end up being a martyr and her death will prove to mean more.

His own department said he didn't follow proper procedures.
I agree with you. But it still happened. Sometimes best to shut the hell up. You can scream all you want and tell someone they dont have a right to beat you while they are beating you, it doesnt mean they will stop.

(LONG)

When I was younger, I went into the courthouse one day to file some papers or something, it was late afternoon. Sheriff passes me a basket to put my belongings into to go through the metal detector. I dont look, put my phone in there. Well, its full of cleaning liquid. I dont realize it until I go through. I get pissed, see my phone is soaked. The officer says sorry. I walk off, pissed, but in a hurry. I am parked in the unloading zone, which was almost a daily thing. I file paperwork, I walk out. As I am out the doors, my phone isnt working. I get pissed. I walk back in, ask the officer his name and begin to tell him how he broke my phone. I want his badge number.

He asks where my id is, I tell him its in the car. He walks out with me, sees I am in loading zone (with flashers) and says, oh, and tells me I am illegally parked, and hes going to write me a ticket. Well, I tell him thats bullshit, and ask if he is going to write me a ticket for him breaking my phone.

He says to come with him and that if I keep it up, he is going to lock me up.

I was in and out of the courthouse multiple times a week for work. The clerks knew me. The sheriff's knew me. I was a regular person who was in and out filing stuff. Unreal. Well, I knew I had pushed it to far. I was about to be locked up for absolute bullshit. So instead of me smarting back and asking him, "youre going to lock me up for you breaking my phone," I shut the touch up and began yes/sir no sir. he wrote me a a ticket, but didnt lock me up.

My pride was wounded sure, but they only power I had at that point was to not say anything else to be locked up. The next day, I called Internal Affairs. They looked into it. There was video. I got my phone repair paid for, and the ticket ended up being dismissed. The proper place to address my greivences was the IA, not the officer.

As long as people do nothing then nothing will change. Change is about putting your own selfish interests behind and doing something difficult. Ghandi and great men like him endured unimaginable tortures to accomplish great things. Glad they were there when somebody needed to stand up.

Glad you didn't inconvenience yourself, though.

Reactions: coolcat9lives
As long as people do nothing then nothing will change. Change is about putting your own selfish interests behind and doing something difficult. Ghandi and great men like him endured unimaginable tortures to accomplish great things. Glad they were there when somebody needed to stand up.

This is what is lost on all these folks. These folks are OK with standing down just to keep from being punished, even if it's unjust. Maintain the status quo. I would ask them, what kind of life are we living if everyone is oppressed? What type of country will we be once the police strip the citizen's of any sense of self/dignity?

Reactions: Svarog

You are missing the point. Plus comparing Ghandi to me or Bland is just asinine.

Surely you see this. Ghandi organized peace protests, sit ins. Same with King. He was promoting social change. Even you know Parks sit in was set up for maximum impact.

Yelling back at a cop with a gun in your face isnt putting your needs above, its your ego. There are proper channels to do things. Dont be this obtuse. There is a right tool for a job. Use it.

Reactions: domino79
This is what is lost on all these folks. These folks are OK with standing down just to keep from being punished, even if it's unjust. Maintain the status quo. I would ask them, what kind of life are we living if everyone is oppressed? What type of country will we be once the police strip the citizen's of any sense of self/dignity?
No, you are missing the point. It is not ok to be punished suppressed. NO ONE IS AGREEING WITH THAT.

What we are saying is that there are proper forums for addressing injustice. A cop with a gun in your face isnt going to listen to you and its defective to think otherwise. Address the injustice, just not at that moment. We are not apes that need our points proven right away. Wait for a better moment.

After the FIRST 10 Minutes of the video my thoughts are that I agreee 99% of the time on the side of law enforcement. However, this is so much bullshit. The cop is just a RACIST POS. He is just actually asking her why she is upset and she explains it. She may have been pissed but so would everybody else on the planet earth.

However, I posted and then started watching more and she cusses him and really inflames the situation. Also, I learned he was giving her a WARNING as well. I thought he was handing her a ticket. Don't get me wrong he handled this all wrong. It may be the dumbest thing to do, when pulled over, to call the police officer a kitty cat about a half dozen times. He did say she was under arrest and she ignored/cussed him some more.

When two dumbasses get together some bad things can happen.

Sad deal all the way around.

Last edited:

That's very true. How hard do you want to fight, though? Takes an army. Much easier to obey and accept the handouts rather than fight the enemy.

When we reach the tipping point, we will find out.

And again, y'all are talking about two different things. The answer is not confronting police. You have to confront/change the boss of their boss...which is the judicial system I guess? Again, how hard do you want to fight?

Reactions: -LEK-
Yup. Just keep on submitting to those cops.

Lol. "Submission" is a little different than being respectful and keeping your GD trap shut.

Being disrespectful and resisting lawful authority is always the common denominator in these stories.

You can't have it both ways with police. This ought to be evident.

Settle in under that yoke and submit quietly like a good little doggie.

Absolutely. Letting a cop do his job (even if he's a prick) is just like a yoke. Did it ever occur to you that maybe a cop doesn't want your hands moving around during a stop? I'm no cop but I can damn sure understand why they don't want you doing anything but sitting still during a stop.

You don't need to wait. The entire video from beginning (when he issues a warning to another driver) to end is already online (all 52 minutes of it) and none of what you are theorizing is correct. None of it.

Here is the entire incident start to finish which begins prior to the officer encountering Bland:

The biggest point I was making was IF YOU KNOW YOU ARE BEING TARGETED BECAUSE OF RACE, then comply and not add any fuel to a fire that you are going to get burned in. It is not right, but she poured gas on a all ready aggressing fire. Wrong or not, yes sir, no sir would have been the proper call, AT THAT TIME. All of the bad asses saying they would keep cussing the cop and trying to keep the incident going, might have got off lucky and just been arrested. If her own family did not come to her aid, wonder how many would come to yours for standing up to the cop and showing him you have rights and you will not take the bullshit he is giving you, you will show him ? None, you would get your head slammed against the pavement, car, whatever the cop saw fit to shut your smart ass up. If we know this behavior exist (it does), then being a dick begging him to do it is just dumb.

No, you are missing the point. It is not ok to be punished suppressed. NO ONE IS AGREEING WITH THAT.

What we are saying is that there are proper forums for addressing injustice. A cop with a gun in your face isnt going to listen to you and its defective to think otherwise. Address the injustice, just not at that moment. We are not apes that need our points proven right away. Wait for a better moment.

No, your missing my point. I understand that there are proper channels to fields these issues. What I'm saying is that these channels are just as broken as the police system. Maybe a cop doesn't listen. Maybe he executes you right there on the spot for your troubles, but you know what happens then? The world hears about it. The normal channels are circumvented to make a quicker and more radical change. If Mike Brown, Freddie Gray, Eric Garner, John Crawford, Tamir Rice and countless others weren't executed (regardless of their personal transgressions) do you think the same pressure would be placed on cops to reform? Do you honestly think the world would care, or even know about the extensiveness of the racism, brutality, and cover-ups that happen within police departments?

That's very true. How hard do you want to fight, though? Takes an army. Much easier to obey and accept the handouts rather than fight the enemy.

When we reach the tipping point, we will find out.

I agree. I believe we are damn close to that tipping point right now. The undertaking of an issue like this is no easy feat. I personally am willing to fight as hard and as long as possible. I have a family to support so it would be irresponsible of me to react in the same manner as Sandra did. However, I am and will dedicate my life to highlighting these injustices. The pen is mightier than the sword.

No, your missing my point. I understand that there are proper channels to fields these issues. What I'm saying is that these channels are just as broken as the police system. Maybe a cop doesn't listen. Maybe he executes you right there on the spot for your troubles, but you know what happens then? The world hears about it. The normal channels are circumvented to make a quicker and more radical change. If Mike Brown, Freddie Gray, Eric Garner, John Crawford, Tamir Rice and countless others weren't executed (regardless of their personal transgressions) do you think the same pressure would be placed on cops to reform? Do you honestly think the world would care, or even know about the extensiveness of the racism, brutality, and cover-ups that happen within police departments?
You have done nothing but say people need to stand up to the police in the streets. Thats just asinine.

Also, cultural change happens. Injustice is not defeated in a day, or one poster yelling madly on a UK message board. I applaud your vigor, but do something about it then.

You can. It has been done. People lobbied for years for gay marriage, the civil rights movement fought for years for equality, women fought for voting rights, etc. there are countless lists where people have made change happen. We live in a democracy, and that is the greatest thing about where we live. You, yes you, can envoke change. Disagree about a policy? Work to change it. Hate gay marriage? Work to change it? Love gay marriage? Work to incorporate it. That why different opinions work great, because we all have a chance to change it.

Its not easy, but to say the system is so broken that change can not occur is childish and naive. Go to the media, take to the streets, protest.Write your media, write your congressman/woman, run for office, call the governor. If you are so adamant, do something more than just write crap in a message board. That does nothing.

You have done nothing but say people need to stand up to the police in the streets. Thats just asinine.

Also, cultural change happens. Injustice is not defeated in a day, or one poster yelling madly on a UK message board. I applaud your vigor, but do something about it then.

You can. It has been done. People lobbied for years for gay marriage, the civil rights movement fought for years for equality, women fought for voting rights, etc. there are countless lists where people have made change happen. We live in a democracy, and that is the greatest thing about where we live. You, yes you, can envoke change. Disagree about a policy? Work to change it. Hate gay marriage? Work to change it? Love gay marriage? Work to incorporate it. That why different opinions work great, because we all have a chance to change it.

Its not easy, but to say the system is so broken that change can not occur is childish and naive. Go to the media, take to the streets, protest.Write your media, write your congressman/woman, run for office, call the governor. If you are so adamant, do something more than just write crap in a message board. That does nothing.

Just because I write about these injustices on a message board does not mean that I don't take steps to eradicate the evils I see in real life. These things are not mutually exclusive. I can do both, and I do. What you are still failing to realize is that all of these groups (gays, women and civil rights groups) faced enormous physical and mental persecution when fighting for their rights, even the peaceful ones like MLK, who as you know was murdered for his role as organizer of a non-violent protest movement. What is your explanation for the assassination of MLK? Did he go through the proper channels? The violence you see against oppressed people, provoked or not will continue to escalate as these downtrodden groups fight to level the playing field. The establishment will not just go quietly into the night.

ADVERTISEMENT