ADVERTISEMENT

Sam DuBose Murder

Hahahaha cb you're just as dumb as the driver. I agree with you. The cop IS WRONG!!!! But what the hell are you gonna do in the situation? I'm gonna do what he says. I don't want to, but if it saves your life why not? I don't know how to fix the police system and if you do, I hope you do it. But till then I'm gonna make the smartest decision possible which is just cooperating. Then turn the cop in afterwards.

If I die bc I was being smart by following orders then I'm just shit out of luck.

Yep, I'm a pretty stupid guy.

He was about as calm as you could be until the cop put his hands on him without provocation.

Exactly. He never raised his voice. He was polite. Even when asked to remove his seat belt, he didn't refuse - he just asked why (which makes sense since the cop had just told him that he was only stopping him for the missing front plate, which was in the glove box). Cue Paul Blart raising the stakes.

The cop put his hands on him when he started the car and put it in gear...he started the car when the cop was messing with the door. Saying the cop physically tried to remove him is absurd. The cop did try to open the door though, which seemed unreasonable.

Reactions: JustinSphere
Well apparently there are cops who will shoot you in the back just for reaching for your license after they asked you to get it, so I'm not sure "doing what you're told" is sufficient.

Oh so the driver didn't try to drive away and escape? Ok.

A second body cam footage was released today from Officer Kidd who initially supported Tensing's statement by saying he saw Tensing getting dragged. It is available on WCPO website. Problem is the video doesn't support that. I'm not sure Tensing will be the only one to face charges.

Traffic stops as a revenue stream needs to be dealt with - in my town seems like there are cops at every cross roads but nothing seems safer...more accidents, more drugs, more crimes reported...but cops always have somebody pulled over...

As for excessive force being used I think it falls back on poor hiring and training - our local cops LOVE to dress up like the military and parade around - but to protect and serve? Nope they have a us vs them mentality...

Not sure of the "cure" but I think it will get worse - way worse - before things change

No, talking about one of the SC shootings from earlier this year.

I know, there have been so many unjustified police shootings as of late that it's tough to keep track, so I sympathize.

Yea man they are unjustified. I'm not disagreeing or taking up for the cops. This particular case that we are discussing in this thread though, the driver could've acted differently and not made the cop form a stupid, rash decision. Terrible situation. Nobody on here is justifying the shooting. But until things change with the police what are we supposed to do?

I mean the way I look at it, if you atleast try to follow orders (regardless of how unfair they are) then it might save your life. At the very least it increased our chances right? This driver tried to drive away. Nothing good can come from attempting to flee. Hopefully the police system can change. But until then I hope people can take the high road and just swallow their pride. That seems like the smarter option at this point.

If you don't agree with trying to be civil and follow orders, what do you propose? I'm absolutely willing to admit I'm wrong, but that just seems like the logical choice here till something else is done.

Getting pulled over by the cops shouldn't be a terrifying, life-threatening experience. It should probably suck, because you're about to get a ticket, or maybe they'll find some weed and take you to jail, or whatever may be the case, but you shouldn't have to fear for your life. I shouldn't have to worry about getting a gd bullet to the dome for reaching in my console the wrong way, or because I didn't follow the officer's instructions correctly.

I can accept that if I'm a belligerent smartass, or I'm resisting arrest, or trying to flee the scene that my punishment will increase exponentially. I should never have to fear that doing any one of those things will get me killed, because it shouldn't.

You can say "just do what the cops says and your punishment won't be as bad", but I'll never be on board with "just do what the cop says and you won't get killed."

The 2nd body cam doesn't show anything one way or the other because when the action is occurring the 2nd cop is in his car and the body cam is filming the steering wheel.

Maybe the 3rd body cam will show more - hope it helps out more than the second.

Getting pulled over by the cops shouldn't be a terrifying, life-threatening experience. It should probably suck, because you're about to get a ticket, or maybe they'll find some weed and take you to jail, or whatever may be the case, but you shouldn't have to fear for your life. I shouldn't have to worry about getting a gd bullet to the dome for reaching in my console the wrong way, or because I didn't follow the officer's instructions correctly.

I can accept that if I'm a belligerent smartass, or I'm resisting arrest, or trying to flee the scene that my punishment will increase exponentially. I should never have to fear that doing any one of those things will get me killed, because it shouldn't.

You can say "just do what the cops says and your punishment won't be as bad", but I'll never be on board with "just do what the cop says and you won't get killed."

How about a compromise?

----It'll increase your chances?---

What's funny is that we all agree the cop is wrong. But the other half can't comprehend that just following orders could've saved his life and that the stupidity of the driver lead to his death. Wtf do you wanna do? Take down the police dept? Fine go ahead but I'll stick to just avoiding these situations.
Cops are supposed to know what to do when someone doesn't comply with a command. A mistake or poor judgement by a civilian who isn't a threat to the cop should NEVER result in the use of deadly force. People are going to do stupid things...they're going to run. So what? It just adds to their charges once they are apprehended. Unless they're posing a threat to the cop then the cop's weapon should stay in its holster.

The 2nd body cam doesn't show anything one way or the other because when the action is occurring the 2nd cop is in his car and the body cam is filming the steering wheel.

Maybe the 3rd body cam will show more - hope it helps out more than the second.

It shows that he was at the very least a block away and had no vision of what was going on clearly...It shows that much of his report was inaccurate.

It shows that he was at the very least a block away and had no vision of what was going on clearly...It shows that much of his report was inaccurate.
No. When he gets out of the car you can see the other cop on the ground.

There is no way to tell what he could see by that video.

No. When he gets out of the car you can see the other cop on the ground.

There is no way to tell what he could see by that video.

You saw a different video then I did. The one I watched started with him running from at least a block away to where the car had stopped.

The second cop video came out yesterday. It shows him on the ground. There's a pic on one of these pages.

The third video came out today and starts with the cop running.

The shooters video also shows him on the ground.

DK what the hell tcurtis is talking about.

Used to be the only time you had to worry about death when running from a cop was if you wrecked and killed yourself.

Ah, the good 'ol days.

I think the officer that validated his claim that he was dragged (Officer Kidd) will also be charged for giving a false statement. I don't think he'll be convicted however.

I would say the police are about the least respected profession in the world and I would say a lot of it is justifiable. The older days, cops were your friends, neighbors, trust in doing the right thing, drive you home when you had too much to drink, change a flat on the interstate type guy. No more, most of these guys are ex military rejects or roid users and weight lifters.
Go to every police dept. and they generally look the same part, muscled up, steroid upped white guys in their 20's and 30's. Stereotypical I know but ill trained, ill equipped to do the right thing.

The training is lax, the mindset is not what it used to be. These guys are trying be jury and judge. Most were washed out puny punks that want to get back at the world for them being such wimps growing up.

They have a hard job to do and they have done a lousy job of representing the force. Most are solid guys but this new generation is a disgrace. I put them on the level of as some of the people they are chasing.

Those video's of the 2 shootings in S. Carolina are a disgrace, the officer who shot the youngster in Cleveland was not accepted on a local police force that his dad and brother worked for years, he was given an evaluation by psychological tests that he should not be hired, Cleveland hires him. The choking of the guy in NY was murder, Just a terrible run of luck I guess if you are an advocate of police. No justification. Just lousy people and training. They are all there for wrong reasons.
IMO

That's a pretty horrible post. First off police were unnecessarily shooting black men long before recent times - it was just easier to get away with it back then. Disagree with almost everything else you posted as well - way to generalize an entire profession based upon a few bad apples.

That's a pretty horrible post. First off police were unnecessarily shooting black men long before recent times - it was just easier to get away with it back then. Disagree with almost everything else you posted as well - way to generalize an entire profession based upon a few bad apples.

Are you talking about real deal's post?

The second cop video came out yesterday. It shows him on the ground. There's a pic on one of these pages.

The third video came out today and starts with the cop running.

The shooters video also shows him on the ground.

DK what the hell tcurtis is talking about.

It appears I am talking about the 3rd video...I saw it today and thought it was the second. I am not sure how hard it is to understand that since I said the video I saw started with him running from at least a block away...Pretty easy to determine that I was talking about the 3rd video.

On a side note, do you really want to keep the name Bill Cosby with all that is going on with him?

I think it's weird that people don't seem to mind killing another person these days. It seems in the past, people would grieve over having to kill someone, even if they had no choice. Now it seems like people are itching for a reason to pop someone. That's strange to me.

Meh, the first one's the hardest. Gets easier after that.

Reactions: -LEK-
The older days, cops were your friends, neighbors, trust in doing the right thing, drive you home when you had too much to drink, change a flat on the interstate type guy.
FALSE

Whenever a cop showed up in our periphery, my grandpa, born in 1912, would say "Don't look at 'em!" Because when he was kid, cops might beat the shit out you for no reason (ie for fun - for glancing at them) and go on with their day with no recourse.

I'm happy to hear your family was raised in Mayberry and you were blissfully sheltered for generations though.

I was arrested in Charlotte, NC by two commando want to be policemen. Part of those famous 10% who should never have been given a badge.

The charge was bs (dropped next morning when I went before a judge) but I still spent the night in jail. They pushed and shoved me and tried to ram my head into the door jamb of their car as if by accident. I took it even though I was mad inside and wanted to bust their faces. I spent the night thinking what I would like to do to those two pricks if I ever found them alone.

Next morning I was out of there but had to pay court costs. Like 30 or so bucks. Never saw those two again which I count as fortunate.

If I are any of my family are ever in danger the first person I want to see is a cop. Odds are excellent that he/she or they will be the 90% that are good.

So sit safe and sound behind your computer screen and beat on the 90% that stand between you and career criminals who may have seventy some odd arrests on their records. It's the politically correct thing to do. Now don't you feel noble inside.

dude running around with an improperly tagged vehicle, no operator's license on him, a big bottle of gin, probably drunk, car probably had no insurance, probably all sorts of shit wrong going on, dude had no intention of getting out, no intention of complying with the officer, fully intended to bolt, bolt he did . . .

. . . why the hell did he even bother to pull over to begin with?

Have fun with that. I'll just post the rest of the bit I took the excerpt from a few posts back, so you'll maybe understand why you do not have to do what a cop tells you at all times in all situations:

Okay. So how can I keep police from searching my car?
Simply understanding the legal definition of probable cause probably won’t be enough to prepare you for the pressure and confusion of a real police encounter.
Most police are able to exploit a major loophole to the probable cause search requirement. But by following these basic rules, you’ll be better able to prevent police from tricking you into giving up your your constitutional rights. You’ll also improve your odds of driving away safely.

Always Be Calm & Cool
If police flag you down, pull over immediately, turn off your car, and place your hands on the wheel. Police like to see your hands for their own safety — so wait until they request your paperwork before reaching for it. At night, it’s also a good idea to turn on the dome light, so the officer can see you’re not armed.

Always greet policemen and policewomen as “Officer”. For example, you may start off with “Good afternoon, Officer. How’s it going today?” Under no circumstances should you ever talk back, raise your voice, or use profanity with a police officer. Being hostile with police is stupid and dangerous. You can’t win that game.

If the officer writes you a ticket, accept it quietly and never complain. Listen to any instruction on paying the fine or contesting the ticket, and drive away slowly.

Remain Silent: What You Don’t Say Can’t Hurt You
Police may try to get you to admit to having broken a law. For example, an officer may ask, “Do you know how fast you were going?”

You may assert your 5th Amendment protection against self-incrimination by refusing to admit you might have broken a law. As such, the best answer to that and similar questions is “No, Officer.”

Because anything you say can and will be used against you in court, the less you say the better. You also don’t want to announce to police that you know your rights. They’ll take that as a challenge. Just keep quiet and calm.

You Have the Right to Refuse Search Requests
Police may order the driver and any passengers out of the vehicle. If this happens, step out of the car. If they have reasonable suspicion to detain you, police may frisk the outside of your clothing to check for weapons, but only if they have a basis for suspecting you’re armed.
If police detain and frisk you, you have the right to clearly state your refusal to consent to the search. For example, you may say “Officer, I’m not resisting. I do not consent to this search.”But you should only verbally refuse. Never physically resist. Just touching an officer could get you tasered or beaten. You could also get a felony charge for assaulting a police officer.

Whether they frisk you or not, police may ask you a series of questions. They will probably include something like “You don’t mind if I have a look in your car?” Beware of that question: It’s the legal loophole that the officer wants to snare you in. (It might even sound like a command, but it’s technically a request.)

In response to such request, you may politely decline by saying “Officer, I know you’re just doing your job, but I don’t consent to searches.” Some officers may use their authority to make you feel obligated to prove your innocence by asking “What do you have to hide?” Don’t fall for such tricks. If necessary, repeat your refusal.

Remember: The 4th Amendment protects your right to refuse search requests, but it doesn’t require police to tell you about your right to refuse. In fact, consenting to searches automatically makes them legal in the eyes of the law. So if you’re pulled over, don’t try to figure out whether or not the officer has probable cause to legally search you. You always have the right to refuse searches.

Refusing a search request is not an admission of guilt and does not give the officer the legal right to search or detain you. In fact, most avoidable police searches don’t occur because police have probable cause. They occur because people get tricked or intimidated into consenting to search requests.

If police search your car and find illegal items despite your refusal, your lawyer can file a motion to suppress — or throw out — the evidence in court. If the judge agrees that the officer’s search violated the 4th Amendment’s probable cause requirements, she’ll grant the motion. Unless the prosecution has other evidence, your charges would be dismissed.

Determine if You’re Free to Go
Unless you’re detained or arrested, you may terminate the encounter anytime. But don’t wait for the officer to dismiss you. Ask if you’re free to go.

For example, if an officer threatens to call in a K-9 unit if you refuse a search, you should ask“Officer, are you detaining me, or am I free to go?”

Not only can this line can help withdraw you from an encounter, it also deflects any of the officer’s probing questions or threats. So if an officer says “If you cooperate with me, everything will go easy for you.” You may respond by saying either “Officer, I don’t consent to any searches” or “Officer, am I free to go?”

If the officer lets you leave, do so immediately. If the officer’s answer is unclear, or if he asks additional questions, persist by repeating “Officer, am I free to go?”

Ask for a Lawyer
If you are not free to go, you are being detained. The officer might have some reason to suspect you of a crime, and you may be arrested.

In such a situation, your magic words are “I’m going to remain silent. I would like to see a lawyer.” These magic words are like a legal condom. They’re your best protection if you’re under arrest.

Never rely on police to inform you of your right to remain silent and see a lawyer. Repeat the magic words as necessary, but say no more. Remember that anything you say can and will be used against you in court.

ADVERTISEMENT