ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Timmons

As a receiver:
Cobb in '08 had 21 receptions, 197 yds, 2 TD's
Cobb in '09 had 39 receptions, 447 yds, 4 TD's.
Cobb in '10 had 84 receptions, 1017 yds, 7 TD's

Timmons isn't quite Cobb, but they have similar roles. Quick slants, screens, outs, etc. And they are in a different offense.

so....

Timmons in '13 had 32 receptions, 338 yds, 2 TD's
Timmons in '14 had 45 receptions, 536 yds, 2 TD's
Timmons in '15 may get 60-65 receptions, 800-900 yds, 5-7 TD's

Timmons has the ability to play in the NFL if he can improve his catching. I've seen some bad drops at crucial times.

Unfortunately, he's had nagging injuries a lot too. I hope his body can hold up because he has serious, big play potential. He can absolutely fly once he gets the ball in his hands.

If he can stay healthy, he can be a big time playmaker. But he has to stay healthy, that's been an issue and part of the reason for some of the drops....

Reactions: BigBoyBlueMMA
I think Garrett Johnson surpasses him at slot, but he gets some PT in a backup roll at slot and at the Z. That may not be a popular opinion but so far due to injuries or whatever Timmons just hasn't lived up to expectations, whereas Garrett is quickly becoming a very solid and dependable SEC caliber receiver.

Any way you look at it there is going to be a lot of competition at receiver this year.

STAY HEALTHY. That's it for Ryan Timmons. The guys is so unbelievably gifted. He reminds me a lot of Justin Miller who played at Owensboro High and later starred at Clemson and the New York Jets. Timmons has the same type of field vision and feel for the openings. If Timmons stays healthy, catches some ball for confidence..........look out SEC.

Timmons just has to focus on the little things. The open field ability has always been there. It's the route running, blocking, drops, fumbles that he has to improve.

If healthy, we'll see a lot of highlight reel material from him.

As a receiver:
Cobb in '08 had 21 receptions, 197 yds, 2 TD's
Cobb in '09 had 39 receptions, 447 yds, 4 TD's.
Cobb in '10 had 84 receptions, 1017 yds, 7 TD's

Timmons isn't quite Cobb, but they have similar roles. Quick slants, screens, outs, etc. And they are in a different offense.

so....

Timmons in '13 had 32 receptions, 338 yds, 2 TD's
Timmons in '14 had 45 receptions, 536 yds, 2 TD's
Timmons in '15 may get 60-65 receptions, 800-900 yds, 5-7 TD's

Thanks for the numbers. If he does put up those numbers it could be more impressive than Cobb's because he will have to split the receptions with several more receivers more talented than those that played in Cobb's era.

If healthy, Timmons is one of our best receivers... even with the crazy amount of drops.. Needs to improve consistency and eliminate his crucial drops.. Has a knack for getting open.

As for my expectations, I think he improves on his drops and has better hands. This and health are the only 2 things standing in the way from him having a big season.

Thanks for the numbers. If he does put up those numbers it could be more impressive than Cobb's because he will have to split the receptions with several more receivers more talented than those that played in Cobb's era.

Also, Cobb had his share of drops early on. He even had a few as he matured. But he did improve them every yr. and of course Cobb ran the ball a lot too.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Timmons played with a bad wrist/hand and ankle most of the season...I think he had to be casted for the wrist during practice weeks and took it off for games.

That is where the drops and fumbles come into play. And he still played pretty well...he will be exciting.

Reactions: KYDave32
I believe that Timmons is the posterchild for a redshirt as a true freshman. He needed a year in a college weight program to keep these nagging injuries away. And if you remember he didn't do much conditioning in the summer of his freshman year because he was rehabbing from a leg injury he suffered in high school.

Now we were so desperate for talent that he couldn't redshirt and I'm not saying he should redshirt now. Just pointing out that his build screamed redshirt as a freshman.

I don't think Randall Cobb is a good comparison. He was a completely different animal than Timmons.

I expect we'll see him a lot in the backfield either taking sweeps or playing running back. Don't get me wrong, he's a receiver all the way, but if Boom goes down, we need someone who is shifty and has big play potential and unless Horton proves himself or we play S.Car (Kemp), I'm not sure about anyone else. With Timmons' affinity for dropped passes, I'd say a hybrid role works well to hide his weaknesses. Hopefully he can correct those drops, because he will absolutely explode his year if he does so and stays healthy.

Reactions: ctroberts1024
UK has a stable of really fine WRs. Do we have a dominant WR? Can Timmons, Johnson, Badet or Baker develop into that? Bone?

Does this offense need a dominant WR?

Nobody is saying that Timmons is as good. They are saying that he plays a similar role.....which he does.

How? Cobb was head and shoulders our number one WR and it wasn't even close. He returned kicks, punts and played QB. Timmons has been somewhat productive thus far in his career and he's been asked to do WAY less than Cobb.

How? Cobb was head and shoulders our number one WR and it wasn't even close. He returned kicks, punts and played QB. Timmons has been somewhat productive thus far in his career and he's been asked to do WAY less than Cobb.

As he said, not in the same league yet, but who is? And to me the "how" is that both are electric with the ball in their hands. His hands are the only reason he isn't electric as a kick returner, I would love to see the coaches gain enough confidence in him to see what he could do there, and we shouldn't be hurting at QB. We have enough talent now that he doesn't have to do everything.

Reactions: JPFisher
What are your expectations for him this year?
Freddie Maggard said last week that if Ryan doesn't step up his game in the fall with the way the rest of the receivers looked in the spring he will have trouble getting on the field next year...

Yeah, I know, I used the word "if" many times lol. I guess it is just wishful thinking because this kid picked us over an impressive list of others and was one of the new guys Stoops brought in. I want him to have a long football career.

Cobb the WR was a smaller stature slot WR who made the majority of his catches off slants, screens, and seams. Cobb infrequently lined up on the outside running outs, double moves, etc. This is the comparison. Timmons is used in a similar way. He is likely going to end up with more catches that's other WRs because of the job he does......like Cobb. Given his workload, he will get a good amount of yds but not TDs....like Cobb.

But nobody is comparing the entire body of work (Wildcat, rushing, kick/punt returns) or overall talent/capability.

It's also worth noting that the offenses that Cobb and Timmons will play in are very different. Not to mention the situations......player personnel, etc. It makes it incredibly hard to predict much. But it makes for a good discussion.

I hope that this year Timmons can be that explosion guy we all hoped he would be. We need him to be in order for this team to be the type offense we envision. We have red zone guys, guys that can take the top off, and possession guys. We need Timmons to be that guy who can turn a small play into a big one. The same goes for TV Williams and Juice Johnson. (Although I think Juice can do it all)

From listening to the talking heads that usually usually know what they're talking about (and there are few) it sounds like Ryan is really fighting for a job and could find himself as a return man and not much else.

Personally I really like RT and was my favorite offensive player to watch last year, but I think there are still doubts about his pass catching ability and physicality when the ball is in the air.

I hop he has a great fall and get back in the mix because it sounds like CJC is playing so well at TE we could only see 3 WRs of 4 wide sets.

The fan base unfortunately overvalued Timmons because he was such an upgrade from what we'd been accustomed to. Sadly for him, Stoops has continued to upgrade the playmaking talent; making it seem as if Timmons started declining. The reality is, the talent has just surpassed him.

He can still provide value on tunnel screens, punt returns etc. But even on screens we have at least a handful of better options. Plus, he was never a threat to beat someone down the field; that was never his strong suit.

Unless its kick/punt returns (where he reportedly struggles catching the ball), the occasional possession reception over the middle, of the even more occasional WR screen; I just don't know where Timmons will get his touches.

Timmons played injured last year with foot and hand problems...he was still one of our best. He is one of the best players we have with the ball in their hands...he will be a huge factor.

Timmons had over 500 yards receiving playing injured much of the year as a TRUE sophomore. I don't think there's any doubt that he's talented. BBI your post is way off the mark here. Timmons will get tons of touches this year. Could see him in the 800-1000 yard range on the season.

Timmons had over 500 yards receiving playing injured much of the year as a TRUE sophomore. I don't think there's any doubt that he's talented. BBI your post is way off the mark here. Timmons will get tons of touches this year. Could see him in the 800-1000 yard range on the season.

Maybe I am off the mark. Just an observation. Nothing against him. I want to see all the kids succeed. One thing Timmons has going for him is Towles likes to target him. I just think too many other options for touches in the offense.

I think Garrett Johnson surpasses him at slot, but he gets some PT in a backup roll at slot and at the Z. That may not be a popular opinion but so far due to injuries or whatever Timmons just hasn't lived up to expectations, whereas Garrett is quickly becoming a very solid and dependable SEC caliber receiver.

Any way you look at it there is going to be a lot of competition at receiver this year.
I feel this way too.....but I also see RT being utilized in other facets of the game than just receiving from the Slot

Here is a nice piece of route running, Sit in the window vs zone, keep running vs man
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Must sit down vs zone into open window as a mesh receiver like <a href="https://twitter.com/Rimmons_5">@Rimmons_5</a> does here. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/bbn?src=hash">#bbn</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/airraid?src=hash">#airraid</a> <a href="https://t.co/5oPiJ5NFlg">https://t.co/5oPiJ5NFlg</a></p>&mdash; todd greenwell (@GreenwellTodd) <a href="">February 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ADVERTISEMENT