ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp Arena to undergo a few renovations

The first of those upgrades will be the new ribbon boards around the second tier, which will be installed in time for the upcoming season. The new center-hung scoreboard and arena-wide WiFi won’t be in until the 2016-17 season, according to the Herald-Leader. That means we’ll get one more run with Big Bertha hanging over midcourt.

I say we send the old girl out in style with hanging banner number 9 up before she rides off into the sunset.

Welcome to the early 2000's, Rupp Arena! jk

It's a much needed renovation and should help ease the wait while the city of Lexington & UK get their ducks in a row for the bigger renovation (which is also much needed).

Yep. Even though I welcome the news, seems like a temporary band-aid to me. I'm anxiously waiting for my seats to have a chair-back. [winking]

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me why they aren't doing much more while they're at it, unless a new arena is still not off the discussion board.

When Kansas starts talking about replacing Phog-Allen with a new, modern NBA-type arena I'll say we need to do the same. Until then make these little upgrades and all will be well. A lot of history in Rupp that I'd hate to see UK just walk away from.

I'm sure that those speakers are good quality. But they still look like they are Korean War era in design with all those big horn-shaped things sticking out. And since this is 2015 there should be a four-sided LED video scoreboard over center court, not an ancient looking cluster of beige speaker cones.
I actually think they need replacing also. But to make derogatory statements about important things of history really gets my goat. This is the society we live in today. discount history to the banner of progressives. Its wrong and is very damaging to us but we just can't see until its too late.

If the UK brass could have swallowed their pride and opened their wallets, we'd be well on our way towards a major upgrade already.

It takes away from seating capacity, which I would rather have.
Oops, I named a downside.

That's funny because in the renovation plans, they've been VERY clear that they'll be keeping capacity the same, while also adding in luxury suites and club seats.

Oooops...I made you look like an idiot @Rhavicc

Proof:

The plans include new lounge space for premium seats and a possible second lounge for other uses.

The number of luxury seats would depend largely on what UK wanted and could sell to its ticket holders.

The total number of seats would remain about the same or could increase by 100. UK lists the seating capacity of Rupp Arena at 23,000.

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/02/10/3079820_lexington-mayor-jim-gray-unveils.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

That's funny because in the renovation plans, they've been VERY clear that they'll be keeping capacity the same, while also adding in luxury suites and club seats.

Oooops...I made you look like an idiot @Rhavicc

Proof:

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/02/10/3079820_lexington-mayor-jim-gray-unveils.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

I wish they would release the current # of seats in upper and lower and the expected # of seats in upper and lower after adding suites. I don't doubt the capacity will change but it seems like they would be sacrificing rows in upper. I have a feeling row J in upper is going to become row A if they go through with this.

If the UK brass could have swallowed their pride and opened their wallets, we'd be well on our way towards a major upgrade already.

I don't think it was about pride as much as it was about the city of Lexington over reaching.

Allen Fieldhouse, Cameron Indoor, and Dean Dome have luxury suites?

Maybe they do and I'm just not aware of it.

Amen to painting the ductwork. Red covered in dust is not a good look.

I am not enamored with luxury suites, as some are. What enjoyment do they add to the average ticketholders game experience? The only purpose they serve are raising revenue from corporations. It will be a major factor in financing a renovation project, but until that time, they have no bearing on the game experience of ticketholders. If they are going to do renovations, at $15 million every few years, then the scoreboard, painting the duct work, new locker rooms, ribbon boards, etc, is definitely the way to go.

Reactions: BlueCat#8
I wish they would release the current # of seats in upper and lower and the expected # of seats in upper and lower after adding suites. I don't doubt the capacity will change but it seems like they would be sacrificing rows in upper. I have a feeling row J in upper is going to become row A if they go through with this.

I believe their plan is to add additional seating in the corners, and some in the lower level as well.

Mitch Barnhart was very clear that capacity would not be reduced at all.

Every current season ticket holder would still have a seat after the renovation.

Allen Fieldhouse, Cameron Indoor, and Dean Dome have luxury suites?

Maybe they do and I'm just not aware of it.

Amen to painting the ductwork. Red covered in dust is not a good look.

There are no Luxury Suites at AFH, Cameron or Dean Dome.

It's true that with Rupp about to enter it's 40th year as the Cat's home it now has some historical significance. In that way it makes sense to upgrade it, whether in these ways or a more major renovation vs building a new arena which I've long favored though I have no dog in that fight. Because of the UK/UL rivalry I know there are some who think UK should match their new place, but let's not forget most of the schools out there are playing in places that come far short of Rupp including one right here down the street. So many entities in this day and time are struggling with their budgets, and I would imagine that includes UK and the city of Lexington. Building something new in this day and time cost staggering amounts of money so in the end I guess renovation will win over a new arena, on or off campus. I guess 10 years from now UK will be celebrating playing 50 years in the place.

I believe their plan is to add additional seating in the corners, and some in the lower level as well.

Mitch Barnhart was very clear that capacity would not be reduced at all.

Every current season ticket holder would still have a seat after the renovation.

That would be ideal. I just remember seeing the capacity wouldn't decrease. At the time I was under the impression the suites would add capacity while the upper would lose seats. But I admit I didn't research it enough. Just seems like they weren't completely forthcoming about everything.

ADVERTISEMENT