ADVERTISEMENT

Rules question (regarding LSU game)

sportspm

Blue Chip Prospect
Jul 26, 2009
I didn’t notice this myself but saw it on Facebook. I screenshot shot the photo but I don’t know how to post it here. At the beginning of the game when the tip went out of bounds there was 19:57 on the clock but the shot clock reset to 20 seconds when UK inbound the ball. So 3 seconds into the game and only 20 seconds on the shot clock. I believe UK got a shot clock violation on that first possession also.
So anyway, someone commented that this is the correct call to reset it to 20 seconds, but it doesn’t seem right to me??

Reactions: coachcombs57
Yeah, we were talking about it. The clock resets to 20 in certain situations, but I’ve never seen this exact scenario.
I *think* the answer is that the shot clock resets to 20 seconds following stoppage of play when the ball is already in the frontcourt or during an offensive rebound. So, at tipoff, the ball went out of bounds in the frontcourt. Hence, it reset to 20 seconds.

I *think* the answer is that the shot clock resets to 20 seconds following stoppage of play when the ball is already in the frontcourt or during an offensive rebound. So, at tipoff, the ball went out of bounds in the frontcourt. Hence, it reset to 20 seconds.
I knew that about offensive rebounds, but I thought stoppages in general only reset to 20 if there were under 20 seconds left. You’re probably right, that’s the only theory I’ve seen that makes sense.

Reactions: sportspm
Of course it's some obscure rule that the players likely didn't know and why they looked surprised the clock ran out so fast. The point guard should always know what the shot clock is at and the coach should have made it known to them as well. Knowing Cal, he probably didn't know the rule either and wasn't looking at the clock.

Reactions: TM2013
I didn’t notice this myself but saw it on Facebook. I screenshot shot the photo but I don’t know how to post it here. At the beginning of the game when the tip went out of bounds there was 19:57 on the clock but the shot clock reset to 20 seconds when UK inbound the ball. So 3 seconds into the game and only 20 seconds on the shot clock. I believe UK got a shot clock violation on that first possession also.
So anyway, someone commented that this is the correct call to reset it to 20 seconds, but it doesn’t seem right to me??
I noticed it too
They got a shot clock violation and like 1937 left in the half

I noticed it live as there was only 23 seconds gone into the game yet we had a shot clock violation. I thought :20 shot clock rule was on obtaining possession following an offensive rebound. I’ve never seen a shot clock reduced before and no clue what the actual rule is. I can’t imagine a team running the ball into the front court and say ball gets knocked from their possession out of bounds with say :25 on the shot clock that it would get reduced to :20. I’m guessing that was a screw up on their part.

Speaking of snapshots on Facebook I also saw were wright stepped on the baseline as he began his final drive to the basket. Did not notice this in live action but he ran up the very side of the court and absolutely stepped out of bounds with the ball. UK should have had ball with 7.5 sec and up 1.

Reactions: sportspm
Here it is from the rule book:

"d. Reset to 20 seconds when the following occurs:"
"8. During a jump ball, one team causes the ball to be out of bounds and the
other team is awarded the ball for a throw-in in the frontcourt"

Section 11.6.d.8

Kentucky gets burnt by a lot of bullshit. What a stupid effing rule. They called a goaltend and UK was out running. Go check the clock and it wasn't a goaltend.

The biggest thing the NCAA has to change in offseason, is goaltending rule. If questionable, you have to stop play and review immediately.. The review rule was put in when LSU beat us at Rupp in 2018 or so. And its unfortunately come back to bite us in a couple of games this year.

But yeah, I did not understand that clock rule the other night. I thought if it was under 20, it reset to 20. But if above 20, it stayed at whatever it was.

The biggest thing the NCAA has to change in offseason, is goaltending rule. If questionable, you have to stop play and review immediately.. The review rule was put in when LSU beat us at Rupp in 2018 or so. And its unfortunately come back to bite us in a couple of games this year.

But yeah, I did not understand that clock rule the other night. I thought if it was under 20, it reset to 20. But if above 20, it stayed at whatever it was.
What I don't like is if they call goaltending but the offense rebounds the ball, the defense still gets the ball without a review. When they eventually do review it, if it wasn't goaltending, they take the points off the board and the offense has already lost the second chance from the offensive rebound.

They need to let it play out to see who gets the rebound and then blow it dead and immediately review it. If not that, then immediately blow it dead to review it and check the possession arrow. That's still not fair to the offense to call it a jump ball and takeaway their possession though.

I'm just not sure they will do anything that's fair to fix it.

Here it is from the rule book:

"d. Reset to 20 seconds when the following occurs:"
"8. During a jump ball, one team causes the ball to be out of bounds and the
other team is awarded the ball for a throw-in in the frontcourt"

Section 11.6.d.8
If that's the rule I don't understand the logic behind it. If a team causes the ball to go out of bounds then the other team gains possession, regardless of whether it happened during a jump ball or otherwise and regardless of where on the court it occurred.

With a change of possession the team gaining possession should get the full shot clock, full stop. What's the reason why they wouldn't? I can't think of one.

why is when it comes to obscure rules or rules that need to be changed, they usually happen in the UK games. Jump ball situations changed because of a UK game and now I'm sure the rules committee will take a look at that play and change the rule after the season is over

If that's the rule I don't understand the logic behind it. If a team causes the ball to go out of bounds then the other team gains possession, regardless of whether it happened during a jump ball or otherwise and regardless of where on the court it occurred.

With a change of possession the team gaining possession should get the full shot clock, full stop. What's the reason why they wouldn't? I can't think of one.
I'm guessing since we didn't have to go the length of the court then we don't need the 10 seconds you're allowed to get the ball across half court. That penalizes a team like UK that pushes the ball up the court and only uses a fraction of that 10 seconds. So when we would normally still have like 26 or 27 seconds to run our play, we only get 20 because of this rule.

Last edited:
Maybe, but LSU controlled the tip. So when it went out of bounds, it became a change of possession, so the shot clock should have actually rest because of the change. My thinking anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT