ADVERTISEMENT

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame nominees.

Yes should have been in years ago. Surprised Chicago isn't already in the Hall.

Courtney Love's letter about Lynyrd Skynyrd should be at the entrance.

It is a joke. Paul Rogers isn't in either is he? The thought of Blondie being in before Skynyrd and many others says stay away.

Agree about Yes. They should have been in a long time ago.

Chicago isn't my kinda music, but there is no denying their influence and longevity.

Cheap Trick better get in.

Yes represents a genre (prog rock) that was almost universally reviled by Rolling Stone critics back in the 70s, and that remains in relatively low critical regard these days. That is why Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, etc. have not gotten in. It seems like that should change because, frankly, any of these acts should be in the "Rock" Hall before people like Janet Jackson and Chaka Khan.

Chicago is another band that received basically no critical acclaim. None of the arena rock bands from the 70's/early 80's are in (Journey, Foreigner, REO, Styx). If Chicago gets in, look for these types of bands to start getting in.

Cheap Trick absolutely should be in. Chicago as well, although they really sucked after Peter Cetera started running things. NiN and Steve Miller, are you kidding me, no way. Still confused on how N.W.A. is being considered for the Rock n Roll HOF.

To me, the R&R Hall of Fame SHOULD be for artists/bands that changed the course of Music. Cheap Trick should be in for "Live at Budokan" alone. Yes should be in. The Smiths should be in (they weren't great in the States tho). Torn between Deep Purple and Chicago (two different genres, but each influential). And yes, N.W.A. should be in.

Reactions: -LEK-
To me, the R&R Hall of Fame SHOULD be for artists/bands that changed the course of Music. Cheap Trick should be in for "Live at Budokan" alone. Yes should be in. The Smiths should be in (they weren't great in the States tho). Torn between Deep Purple and Chicago (two different genres, but each influential). And yes, N.W.A. should be in.

I agree N.W.A. should be in some type of HOF just not Rock n Roll. They should really just change the name to Music Hall of Fame because there are a lot of artists already in that not a single person would consider a rock act.

Yes, Deep Purple and Cheap Trick definitely need to be in the HOF. You can make a solid case for Chicago too. Janet Jackson and Chaka Khan? No way.

I would put 1973-1979 Chaka Khan on my dinner table, select my knife and fork, and dine on her like a starving cannibal. She was tiny, but delectable back then. I'd still do her today now that she's 62...but back in the day she was something. FWIW...give a listen to the debut album of Rufus (self-titled) . Definitely a lot of rock going on with that one.

So none of these bands are in?

Cheap Trick
The Cars
Chicago
Deep Purple
Steve Miller Band
Yes
Skynyrd
Jethro Tull
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Motley Crue

Heck, you could start a Hall of Fame with them and not be embarrassed.

If you grew up in the 70's/early 80's that's like half of the radio airtime right there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT