ADVERTISEMENT

Riding Lawnmowers

Using a Grasshopper Zero Turn; mowed with it for 5 years now and only had to replace the battery. Love that machine.

Any recommendations for riding mowers on hills? I understand zero turns will flip in a heartbeat

Any recommendations for riding mowers on hills? I understand zero turns will flip in a heartbeat
I mow @ 2 plus acres, with several hills. Never had an issue with it flipping, but that thing is HEAVY. I once got it stuck in a ditch the second time I ever used it. Two big strong men had no chance at getting that thing out, lol. Had to pull it out with a truck.

I have one incline that is very steep, but it rides just fine; doesn't even feel like it would flip.

If it's a real concern try looking at mowers with a wider stance. That's what I ended up doing too.
Like wildcat welder wrote, they are heavy, but I chose not to take any chances.

I don't have a very big yard and once looked at a rear engine Honda rider. My neighbor has one and it does a great job. It
Circus%20Bear%20On%20Tricycle%20Animal-640x1136%20wallpapers.jpg
is a sweet mower and I nearly bought it, but I balked because I realized what my fat ass would look like on it.

I have some hills and one very steep hill. I have only flipped my zero turn once on it. Didn't hurt it or me.

What's the best quality for your dollar?
I had my father's mower was a Lowe's brand and after 20 years it sorta died.
Could have fixed it but figure it was time for a newer and bigger mower.
Was in a rush so ran down to the Tractor Supply and picked up one their Huskee with a Kohler engine.
After 3 seasons it's a smoke blowing piece of junk.
Do they make a decent entry level rider or are they all as I was told "Throw Away models"?
I have a 2 yr old Craftsman riding mower for sale. Probably only 20 hrs total on it, if you're interested. Great shape.

What kind of cost are tires like this? I ask because I have a fairly steep bank leading down to a creek that might cause traction issues, thanks.

bought mine from summit racing for 63.00 each plus shipping...everybody else 79.99 plus shipping..mine are 20x10-8 smaller sizes are cheaper

I'm a John Deere fan. Still using a JD 2520 tractor with 72" under deck blades that I bought in 2006. I mow a little over 4 acres and some of it is rough terrain. Very little maintenance and it runs like a top and have never had any trouble.

before my scag i had a john deere lt rider..what most do not realize are the home improvement john deeres are not commercial grade so therefore much cheaper than a john deere dealer commercial grade rider..these cost a bit mower ( pun intended) but the quality and structure is much much better than a home improvement center type John Deere

Well, I bragged on the Grasshopper, but now I have to take it to the shop. Replaced the battery and it starts just fine, but it has about a third of the power it should. I'm thinking the fuel filter is clogged up, but I'm not sure. It needs a complete overhaul anyway, but this rain is causing the grass to grow and grow......hope they cam get to it quickly.

What kind of roller? Is that extra weight bad for the mower?
It's a Toro attachment I bought online. The self propel does not work anymore so the extra weight is not straining the mower much. If you have the right kind of grass it will give those nice lines. Is a workout pushing that extra weight though.

55, Do you have any blowback issue with your Scag? We've mowed once with ours and the wife and the mower were just covered in cuttings and dust.
Read online that this was an issue on some Scags and there is a baffler that can be ordered that knocks it down.

if it's windy I get blow back but on normal days I don't. I am thinking about getting the mulching setup for my deck. It's all bolt on type baffling, kinda costly..

Yea I think this is part of that system, but I was able to buy just the left hand baffle, it was $35 and from all I read it really knocked it down. Thought for the price is give it a try

I have only bought one mower in years. A 200 dollar junker. It lasted as expected for 3or 4 years.

Just as it was about to its end my father in law dumped an old craftsman in my driveway. Someone had given it to him, it looked like a pile of junk. Took me thirty minutes to assemble it back and get it running. I spent less than a hundred bucks on tubes, belts and blades. It lasted seven or eight more years till the deck rusted out.

That same fall my brother gave me his old lowes mower with a bad transmission. Fixed that problem easily at no cost and have been using it for six or so yrs.

I was going to buy me a new mower this fall, but my son gave me his old John deer. It's going to cost less than 250 to restore it. I figure it will last me ten years or more.

Guess I've been fortunate when it comes to lawn mowers, every one except the deer has reached nearly twenty yrs before wearing our. All had Briggs motors which still run without any problem. Great motors and given their age so was the mowers.

I mow a little more than an acre, sometimes maybe two if I cut my son's lot.

this is what Im looking at
9293.jpg
I think what I bought is just one portion of that I'll try to find pic and see if I can post
It.
I can't find a pic of it. LH BAFFLE, GC-61 | (61in. Deck), that's the part I ordered.

Last edited:
I have a 2 yr old Craftsman riding mower for sale. Probably only 20 hrs total on it, if you're interested. Great shape.

I plan to keep this one going as long as possible. Next time I don't plan to be rushed and research what's decent out there for the money.
Thanks though.

ADVERTISEMENT