ADVERTISEMENT

Rex...... Here we go again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did UK actually tell him not to date black girls?

Who knows. Rex has been occasionally spinning these tales making it sound like he was trapped amidst the redneck racists in Kentucky for around 25 years now.

For the first couple decades after leaving UK Rex acted like he was ashamed to be from Kentucky--never came back, badmouthed us to the press, acted like he wanted nothing to do with us, etc.--but then later in his life after he'd fallen on hard times and needed the BBN to make money he suddenly started acting like he was a die hard UK fan again. Dude is as phony as phony gets.

Personally I'd be quite happy to never see another Rex headline again. I don't wish him ill will, I just wish the media would stop giving him this attention so we don't have to keep seeing these stories pop up.

Last edited:
Rex was the last truely great white player from Kentucky to play for UK and that was in the mid 80s some 30yrs ago.

This alone is why he remains relevant.
If some of you 18 and under posters that are from Ky and are white and are good enough to come to UK and star you can dethrone King Rex.

Until this happens get used to reading about him.
Scott Padgett was a pretty good white player from Kentucky, and he actually won something.

I really wish they would stop picking this clown for the UK telecast during the final four.

Did you even check out the telecast? He was actually really good and got great reviews for that telecast. Both years he has done a good job and the telecast numbers back it up. I'm not saying I like Rex, or dislike him, but I don't just turn my back on him because he has ran into some tough times. He admitted his mistake with the whole tweet thing right before the title game and he has ran into some tough times with the drug use. However, he is a UK great and I don't think he has done anything that I deem as unforgivable, like Farmer who took complete advantage of the tax payers in the state that made him and the people who gave him a career. So, I'm not going to just write him off like some of you tools who condemn everyone who even has a thought come across their head that isn't 100% in agreement with you and your views on Cal or the program. I may disagree with a former player, like Sheppard, but it doesn't mean that I try to banish him from the nation. He is still an all time great that I grew up cheering for and watching with my grandpa as we sat on his old picnic table in the middle of his yard. While I won't always continue to back someone, I do believe in forgiveness and 2nd chances. Even some 3rd chances too.

I was as mad as anybody over the tweet Rex sent out on championship night in 2014. I mean it really set a s****y tone for that whole evening, which I had such high hopes for. But he WAS very good on the broadcast this past year, and made a terrible loss....dare I say...not so terrible. I watched it and the announcers were pointing out the bad calls and missed calls and in the end, they just gave credit to Wisconsin, and since that night so have I.

I believe him on the black girls thing. I was there. I remember everyone talking about it, and I can totally understand his take on it. I also feel like that story has been told but you know how this country is...anything with race in it and they love to tell it and retell it.

I didn't read the OP's story from SI, but I hope Rex is making good decisions now. He strikes me as someone who was so adored so early that he never got to grow up. Seen it happen to many, many people in entertainment and sports.

Chapman is nothing unique. Just another junky who doesn't want to admit that his poor decisions are what caused his arrival at ground zero.

Saddest of all is this continued pleading for sympathy. He doesn't have enough character to stop this fairy tale blaming and then hoping that someone will give him an undeserved opportunity out of pity.

That's Rex Chapman. A weak man who still wants, himself and others, to believe he is a tragic victim. Nothing special here unless he changes, from the coddled ex jock still living to live an ivory tower life, and tries to earn some true respect.

How many thinks he will?

Did someone actually say Rex is relevant because he was a great white player? Haha!!

They're looking for a few more administrators in Chapel Hill if interested.

I was as mad as anybody over the tweet Rex sent out on championship night in 2014. I mean it really set a s****y tone for that whole evening, which I had such high hopes for. But he WAS very good on the broadcast this past year, and made a terrible loss....dare I say...not so terrible. I watched it and the announcers were pointing out the bad calls and missed calls and in the end, they just gave credit to Wisconsin, and since that night so have I.

I believe him on the black girls thing. I was there. I remember everyone talking about it, and I can totally understand his take on it. I also feel like that story has been told but you know how this country is...anything with race in it and they love to tell it and retell it.

I didn't read the OP's story from SI, but I hope Rex is making good decisions now. He strikes me as someone who was so adored so early that he never got to grow up. Seen it happen to many, many people in entertainment and sports.
I was there also...and Rex made the decision to leave UK when he did; BEFORE his first semester. THAT was well known amongst the students in "his area".
I knew guys on the football team who did not want him dating black girls and "UK" may have told him that...So, technically, UK may have said don't date black girls

rex%2Bchapman.jpg

I wonder if I was the only person on here to read the article.
My problem with his repeated assertion about UK's position on his dating preferences is not whether it was true or not because at this point who cares? He may have well been advised that it would hurt his brand in KY if became common knowledge. This was 30 years ago. For all I know UK may have asked black players to be discrete about dating white girls also. My issue is this continues to feed the media obsession with labeling UK as "the most racist school, who had the most racist coach (Rupp), and who still has the most racist fans." Just let this one go.

As far as not remembering boosting the Apple Store, logic would say if you if you did the same thing multiple times surely you would remember, but on the other hand maybe the reason you kept repeating yourself was because you didn't remember In the first place.

He admits his addictions began as many, medical treatment for real acute and chronic pain which spiraled out of control. Quite likely made easier because of his profession.

Again other than the few UK fans that read this magazine, people who like watching a train wreck, or someone that needs to hear of someone else's failings to feel superior who cares about Rex Chapman in 2015?

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
He was fun to watch at UK. And he was the biggest recruit in UK history. That's right. Bigger than AD. Bigger than Bowie. Bigger than anyone. Not the best player. The biggest recruit. Him choosing Kentucky crushed Louisville fans.

He wasn't the biggest recruit in UK history , getting Rex didn't garner UK a great deal while he was here and it didn't pull other elite recruits to UK because he came here . He was a local hero that a lot of UK fans idolized , there are other players that brought a title (Davis) or future recruits to UK (Wall) that would be the biggest recruit in UK history . Being the biggest recruit means you brought more to UK than most in either titles , individual honors or other players came here because they watched you play here . Rex meets none of that criteria , he was a very good player for UK but he falls under the umbrella of lore for Kentucky born players .

RC was dating black chicks before he ever set foot on campus at UK. That coupled with his "selective" memory convinces me he was never told not to date black girls.
The dude put forth some effort in concocting a scheme he thought would allow him to steal a ton of high-tech gear. How is he not in jail somewhere?

He was fun to watch at UK. And he was the biggest recruit in UK history. That's right. Bigger than AD. Bigger than Bowie. Bigger than anyone. Not the best player. The biggest recruit. Him choosing Kentucky crushed Louisville fans.

He wasn't bigger than Bowie. He came to UK somewhat unwillingly. Came as a business decision even then to cash in on UK fandom. Was always ready to talk about being an UL fan growing up. His 'one shining moment' was helping crush UL in the 'little brother' game. UK fans wanted Rex to be the next Dan Issel, Pat Riley, or Louie Dampier. Fair to say most of us were disappointed.
Anyway his actions don't deserve the hate he has received but should cancel any of the adoration he used to get. With a little humility on his part, pity is probably in order.

He wasn't the biggest recruit in UK history , getting Rex didn't garner UK a great deal while he was here and it didn't pull other elite recruits to UK because he came here . He was a local hero that a lot of UK fans idolized , there are other players that brought a title (Davis) or future recruits to UK (Wall) that would be the biggest recruit in UK history . Being the biggest recruit means you brought more to UK than most in either titles , individual honors or other players came here because they watched you play here . Rex meets none of that criteria , he was a very good player for UK but he falls under the umbrella of lore for Kentucky born players .

I'm talking recruit, not what he did once he got to campus. If you want to go by that standard, Jamal Mashburn was the biggest recruit we ever had. Rex Chapman was a white kid who could "play black", something Kentucky had never had before. We would no longer be sending Jim Master out there to guard Lancaster Gordon or Milt Wagner.

I remember eating at a restaurant in Louisville after the Dream Game. All around us, everyone was talking about Rex Chapman. U of L fans. UK fans. All of then in awe. Again, it seems ridiculous by today's standards, but back then no one had seen a white kid drive the lane and try to slam it on black players before (except for Alvin Adams in the NBA). AND he could create his own shot outside, too. Louisville was starting to get in our heads in the mid 80s. They were the Doctors of Dunk. We were the stale old program that relied on height and shooting. Rex changed all of that. And our recruiters knew he would.

Reactions: Levibooty
I'm talking recruit, not what he did once he got to campus. If you want to go by that standard, Jamal Mashburn was the biggest recruit we ever had. Rex Chapman was a white kid who could "play black", something Kentucky had never had before. We would no longer be sending Jim Master out there to guard Lancaster Gordon or Milt Wagner.

I remember eating at a restaurant in Louisville after the Dream Game. All around us, everyone was talking about Rex Chapman. U of L fans. UK fans. All of then in awe. Again, it seems ridiculous by today's standards, but back then no one had seen a white kid drive the lane and try to slam it on black players before (except for Alvin Adams in the NBA). AND he could create his own shot outside, too. Louisville was starting to get in our heads in the mid 80s. They were the Doctors of Dunk. We were the stale old program that relied on height and shooting. Rex changed all of that. And our recruiters knew he would.
That's the standard that everybody goes by when they make a claim like you did , now you're backpedalling with for a white boy comments . Stick to your original assertion , it's based on nothing more than sentiment and there is no tangible benefit that Rex had over other recruits . So in fact he was not the most important recruit in UK history and there is nothing solid to back that sort of claim up . Now if the suggestion is changing to white guys then your comment has more merit but Jeff Sheppard made more contributions to UK than Rex could ever dream of , Jeff did more to benefit UK in the future with his contributions to a title . But if you are just talking about who you were the most excited to get growing up then Rex may be the most important recruit in history but only to you specifically . He was without any doubts not the most important recruit in UK history .

That's the standard that everybody goes by when they make a claim like you did , now you're backpedalling with for a white boy comments . Stick to your original assertion , it's based on nothing more than sentiment and there is no tangible benefit that Rex had over other recruits . So in fact he was not the most important recruit in UK history and there is nothing solid to back that sort of claim up . Now if the suggestion is changing to white guys then your comment has more merit but Jeff Sheppard made more contributions to UK than Rex could ever dream of , Jeff did more to benefit UK in the future with his contributions to a title . But if you are just talking about who you were the most excited to get growing up then Rex may be the most important recruit in history but only to you specifically . He was without any doubts not the most important recruit in UK history .

Again, you are taking what the player did at UK into it. If that's the case, Anthony Davis was our biggest recruit. I'm talking about the recruiting process. Who was the biggest "must get" recruit in UK history? Rex Chapman. Hands down. Not just because of what he could bring to UK, but to keep him away from Louisville.

Again, you are taking what the player did at UK into it. If that's the case, Anthony Davis was our biggest recruit. I'm talking about the recruiting process. Who was the biggest "must get" recruit in UK history? Rex Chapman. Hands down. Not just because of what he could bring to UK, but to keep him away from Louisville.
It wasn't anywhere near as important as you're making it out to be , you value him because he was white and from KY . Not getting him does not significantly alter the history of UK , he was not a cornerstone recruit . If you don't want to base your opinion on any real facts or contributions from Rex then it's exactly what I said it was in concerns to Rex being the most important just to you . Being the most important recruit has to be based on more than the flimsy reasons you cite such as white but played black or to keep him from UL , with that reasoning it's not hard to see why you try to erroneously bestow undeserved praise on Rex . I get it , he was your hero and you want to cast him in a good but misguided light . I mean the guy can't remember stealing more apples than an orchard worker but thirty years ago it is crystal clear , in other words Rex can't remember anything when it's his fault .

I get that you don't like Rex. You know what? I don't really like him. That doesn't change the fact that UK wanted him more than they have wanted any other recruit ever.

Quit conflating the two issues.

I get that you don't like Rex. You know what? I don't really like him. That doesn't change the fact that UK wanted him more than they have wanted any other recruit ever.

Quit conflating the two issues.
Your judgement is as poor as your hero , you wanted him more not UK . Hopefully another white player that can dunk in game will heal the wounds .

Reactions: Mike-D
Your judgement is as poor as your hero , you wanted him more not UK . Hopefully another white player that can dunk in game will heal the wounds .

1. It's judgment, not judgement.
2. I said I don't really like him.
3. So anyone who tries to acknowledge that the dynamics of race were quite different in 1986 than they are today is racist?

You're not too bright, are you?

Or, so you'll understand....Your not two brite, our you?

Reactions: Ugoff
1. It's judgment, not judgement.
2. I said I don't really like him.
3. So anyone who tries to acknowledge that the dynamics of race were quite different in 1986 than they are today is racist?

You're not too bright, are you?

Or, so you'll understand....Your not two brite, our you?
On an iPhone and now that I have reduced you to correcting spelling it's been a sound beating that I put on you . You can't even defend your hee haw opinion , me like the white , bestess ever .

On an iPhone and now that I have reduced you to correcting spelling it's been a sound beating that I put on you . You can't even defend your hee haw opinion , me like the white , bestess ever .[/QUOTE
On an iPhone and now that I have reduced you to correcting spelling it's been a sound beating that I put on you . You can't even defend your hee haw opinion , me like the white , bestess ever .

Xception is a fitting name for you. Sofa king would be another.

Chapman was a HUGE "get" for UK at the time of his recruitment. Was it the biggest ever? Hard to say. Different eras and different situations. I was a Senior in high school in '86 and remember it was a very big deal. Obviously this was well before the internet and recruiting news was basically a newspaper-covered thing back then. But, some of the Chapman recruitment was covered by TV. Everyone also read Street & Smith's recruiting yearbook and yes, even the H-L back before it became a fish wrapper.
One of my friends was very connected to RC at that time and kept me somewhat informed (as much as he knew). UK knew Rex liked black girls well before he ever got on campus.
The only racial component to this story is via a little pity Chapman is trying to garner by claiming someone at UK asked him to not date black girls. Or, from some posters who have their own racial agenda.

No. But he was the first huge UK recruit after recruiting got huge, and became a thing unto itself.

Recruiting prior to the cable TV explosion of the mid 80's was pretty much all rumor and mythology. Rex came along right at the dawn of the video/information era, when it became possible to know about and even (sometimes) see (in very small doses) the players UK was recruiting. Rex was, in a lot of ways, the first UK recruit who came in with built-in stardom. A pioneer, of sorts, but not the biggest recruit if you take a broader view,

Opened up new SI and low and behold: a story about Rex by none other than Seth Davis.
High points lol.
'I didn't remember stealing from the Apple Store or selling to the pawnshop.'
'UK told me not to date black girls.'
'It was the drugs fault.'
'I need a job, preferably basketball related.'

I read the article. The story line for me was an example that doctors treating injuries for professionals can have an affect on the players entire life.
Some on here have a deep disrespect for Rex. I get that. This thread seems to be venting on Rex's failure to the BBN.

Last edited:
Once a wildcat always a wildcat.

None of this bothers me as much as the terrible restaurant he owned, 3s, next to Joe Bologna's.

Chapman was a HUGE "get" for UK at the time of his recruitment. Was it the biggest ever? Hard to say. Different eras and different situations. I was a Senior in high school in '86 and remember it was a very big deal. Obviously this was well before the internet and recruiting news was basically a newspaper-covered thing back then. But, some of the Chapman recruitment was covered by TV. Everyone also read Street & Smith's recruiting yearbook and yes, even the H-L back before it became a fish wrapper.
One of my friends was very connected to RC at that time and kept me somewhat informed (as much as he knew). UK knew Rex liked black girls well before he ever got on campus.
The only racial component to this story is via a little pity Chapman is trying to garner by claiming someone at UK asked him to not date black girls. Or, from some posters who have their own racial agenda.

Do you honestly think he's making it up? Personally, I think it happened, we should all acknowledge that it happened, and we can let it go as something that happened 30 years ago. But if a lot of you aren't even going to acknowledge it happened, no wonder he keeps talking about it. Rex was the face of UK as soon as he signed the LOI.

The problem is not whether people like Rex or not , it is about believability and Rex is not believable nor his supporters . It never happened and all of Rex's deceptive actions support that , only rumor supports his claims .

He had a phenominal HS career at Owensboro Apollo. He could jump thru the gym and could shoot. He played at UK and was great not very good, great. Look up the numbers. He had more than an avg NBA career too look those numbers up too.
He smoked defending NCAA Champs U of L as a Freshman in Freedom Hall in front of Muhammed Ali.

Rex= Overrated and exaggerated throughout his entire basketball life. Very good HS player but at the KY-IN hs all star game in Indy he was billed as "The White Oscar." BS. He was pretty good at UK and may have achieved greatness if he had stuck around for his jr. and sr. seasons, but he didn't and he wasn't. I remember the rumors about who he was dating but it wasn't any obsession, just something that might be brought up in passing among fans at half time of a football game but the vast majority of people didn't give a rat's ass about it. It was just more Rex noise. Then when he declared for the NBA draft his dad made a dumb statement along the lines of " can you imagine him and Jordan going at it!" Are you kidding me.Total joke. In the NBA he was average at best and more like insignificant. The guy NEVER lived up to his hype.
And I was at that UL game and it wasn't just Rex. Rob Lock, Richard Madison, Davender, Blackmon and Miller all smoked UL.
t

Do you honestly think he's making it up? Personally, I think it happened, we should all acknowledge that it happened, and we can let it go as something that happened 30 years ago. But if a lot of you aren't even going to acknowledge it happened, no wonder he keeps talking about it. Rex was the face of UK as soon as he signed the LOI.

Do you honestly believe anything he says at this point? Do you really believe he has no memory of stealing the tech gear? If your answer is "no" then why are you so eager to believe anything else he says?
And why should we all acknowledge it happened? Because Rex said it did? Where's the proof and also, who exactly told him not to date black girls? I'd like to hear a name(s).
I know a little about Rex and who he was at the time of his recruitment. He was an ass then and apparently very little has changed.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
Rex is just a couple of years older than me. He left UK as I entered it, and I can say "Guys wanted to be him, and girls wanted to be with him." I can't tell you how many girls at the time were obsessed with RC. There was a mysticism to him; Athletic, nice -looking kid, a little rebellious, had the key to the state (so to speak). His recruitment was as big as they came back then. I still remember the SI cover "King Rex And His Top Cats". I wish him the best, and hope he and life treat each other better.

rex.jpg

Reactions: brianpoe
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT