ADVERTISEMENT

Rex...... Here we go again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2005
Opened up new SI and low and behold: a story about Rex by none other than Seth Davis.
High points lol.
'I didn't remember stealing from the Apple Store or selling to the pawnshop.'
'UK told me not to date black girls.'
'It was the drugs fault.'
'I need a job, preferably basketball related.'

Reactions: Mashburned
I would suggest actually reading the piece before commenting instead of just going off the synopsis from some random Rafters poster. He may be accurate but I've read plenty of summaries of articles/interviews on here that were way off.

One day he will be a old bitter man and pining for his glory days . Most people evolve to move past recognition and take on a new chapter in life , others know their best moments are behind them . Rex seems frustrated that his time has gone , he's far too spoiled to come to terms with that and now we are left with nothing but the undesirable traits he possessed .

<face palm>
face-palm.gif

Reactions: flash123 and BBUK
One day he will be a old bitter man and pining for his glory days . Most people evolve to move past recognition and take on a new chapter in life , others know their best moments are behind them . Rex seems frustrated that his time has gone , he's far too spoiled to come to terms with that and now we are left with nothing but the undesirable traits he possessed .

Let me know if I'm wrong but it seems like he is doing this now. (Pining...)

Reactions: Kycatspaws
Rex was the last truely great white player from Kentucky to play for UK and that was in the mid 80s some 30yrs ago.

This alone is why he remains relevant.
If some of you 18 and under posters that are from Ky and are white and are good enough to come to UK and star you can dethrone King Rex.

Until this happens get used to reading about him.

I have no interest in Rex's babbling, but I am mildly fascinated that SI would find him a worthy topic for an article -- even a brief one.

He was a very good college basketball player at a high profile university 30 years ago, then had some middlin' career in the NBA. After that, he became a screw-up. What makes that so noteworthy? It's not like he was some big cultural phenom like the Boz or Bo Jackson. He wasn't on a noteworthy team, like, say, Danny Manning and the Miracles.

So, who cares? And why?

He had a phenominal HS career at Owensboro Apollo. He could jump thru the gym and could shoot. He played at UK and was great not very good, great. Look up the numbers. He had more than an avg NBA career too look those numbers up too.
He smoked defending NCAA Champs U of L as a Freshman in Freedom Hall in front of Muhammed Ali.

Rex has become a prime example of "Biting the hand that feeds you". He has alienated himself from the one group of people(UK fans) that would have stood behind him through thick and thin. From his tweets, he seems to crave the time when he was a Basketball star. He used to constantly talk about the past. Since his arrest and rehab, I haven't noticed as many posts from him, then this article pops up.

Apparently he doesn't care what #BBN thinks of him.

He had a phenominal HS career at Owensboro Apollo. He could jump thru the gym and could shoot. He played at UK and was great not very good, great. Look up the numbers. He had more than an avg NBA career too look those numbers up too.
He smoked defending NCAA Champs U of L as a Freshman in Freedom Hall in front of Muhammed Ali.
so...that makes him a good human being?

I'm sure Eddie Sutton told him not to be so open about dating black girls. It probably turned off a lot of the old people who pay top dollar for the lower level seats at Rupp. But let it go, Rex. It was almost 30 years ago, you dated black girls anyway and still were BMOC. That's not what has put you in the place you are today. I was there when you were on the team. Most white guys thought you were the man. Those old farts complained to Eddie, but they had no say in who you dated. It was barely an issue then, and shouldn't be an issue now.

I don't see how anyone could assume or even find it plausible that UK told Rex who to date . Consider Rex lied about Cal to the NBA and was stealing from Apple stores only to claim he doesn't remember doing that , at what point do you run out of credibility ? Nothing Rex says is believable and shouldn't be taken seriously until he shows proof or grows up and earns some trust back by legitimately acting like an adult . For anyone that believes him I have to question your judgement , exactly what in Rex's behavior has led you to take him at his word ?

I don't see how anyone could assume or even find it plausible that UK told Rex who to date . Consider Rex lied about Cal to the NBA and was stealing from Apple stores only to claim he doesn't remember doing that , at what point do you run out of credibility ? Nothing Rex says is believable and shouldn't be taken seriously until he shows proof or grows up and earns some trust back by legitimately acting like an adult . For anyone that believes him I have to question your judgement , exactly what in Rex's behavior has led you to take him at his word ?

Someone in my frat grew up with Rex. Rex told him about it 30 years ago and he told me. So either he's held onto that lie for whatever reason for 30 years or it happened. He was dating Marc Higgs' little sister and not all the old people who contributed lots of money to the university back then were what you would call progressive thinkers. Any coach who wasn't a drunk puppet would have told them to mind their own business.

Someone in my frat grew up with Rex. Rex told him about it 30 years ago and he told me. So either he's held onto that lie for whatever reason for 30 years or it happened. He was dating Marc Higgs' little sister and not all the old people who contributed lots of money to the university back then were what you would call progressive thinkers. Any coach who wasn't a drunk puppet would have told them to mind their own business.
And none of what you posted gives any credibility to Rex , it's also a massive assumption to label old people off the word of a known liar and thief . There's too much evidence to suggest that Rex shouldn't be believed and nothing more than hearsay from a friend to support what he says . It's more believable that nobody said anything to Rex and his imagination became Brian Williams .

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT