ADVERTISEMENT

Reds 4-0

Bluegrass79

Senior
Mar 4, 2008
Well I figured the reds would suck ass and lose their first few gamez but they have surprised me. Hopefully they can keep it rolling along. A good start is extremely important to this particular team. Go R ed s!! Update: swept the pirates 3-0 baby!

This post was edited on 4/9 4:24 PM by Bluegrass79

This post was edited on 4/10 9:44 PM by Bluegrass79

Re: Reds 2-0

The bullpen will be a big factor in the Reds' success or failure this year. Besides Chapman and Jumbo, I'm not too confident in them. I guess time will tell.

Hoover did great tonight. Kept us in it. Billy Hamilton was freaking awesome using his speed. Chapman left the guy staring to close it out. Great win for the reds!
First team since 1912 to win each of its first 4 games in their last at bat. [ bottom of the 8th, take the lead on your last at bat, and close it out top of the 9th ]

Best things I have seen so far is (A) Votto seems to be back, huge plus for this team; and (B) three one run wins already. Think the Reds led MLB in one run losses last season.

How does Cozart keep his job? Can we not find a SS that can at least hit .250 or so? It is like having two pitchers in your lineup. I am worried about Phillips and Byrd, both look old to me - have they hit the wall so to speak in their career?

We knew Byrd was old when we got him. He's a one or two year stop gap anyway. Phillips is starting to show his age too. He still makes some great plays, but it seems like every time he dives or does anything physical, I cringe waiting for him to get up with an injured hamstring or something.

Reds stink like they do every year since 1990. They tease you with decent to good seasons once in a while, and then lay an egg in the playoffs. Lifelong Reds fan, and I've seen this so many times. Every time they have a winning streak, it's always followed by a losing streak. Typical game tonight. Get a 3 run lead right off the bat, give it back. Take the lead again, bullpen gives it right back. Get a leadoff double in 10th inning, run yourself right out of the inning.

Terrible bullpen, terrible baserunning, can't bunt, nobody besides Votto knows a bat from a tire iron, manager sucks, GM sucks, owner sucks. Consistently mediocre to awful team year in and year out.

Originally posted by SilentsAreGolden:
Reds stink like they do every year since 1990. They tease you with decent to good seasons once in a while, and then lay an egg in the playoffs. Lifelong Reds fan, and I've seen this so many times. Every time they have a winning streak, it's always followed by a losing streak. Typical game tonight. Get a 3 run lead right off the bat, give it back. Take the lead again, bullpen gives it right back. Get a leadoff double in 10th inning, run yourself right out of the inning.

Terrible bullpen, terrible baserunning, can't bunt, nobody besides Votto knows a bat from a tire iron, manager sucks, GM sucks, owner sucks. Consistently mediocre to awful team year in and year out.
I like GABP though!!
laugh.r191677.gif

Bullpen is just beyond terrible, may as well tell the starters - "you have to pitch 8 innings, no matter what, then we send in Chapman"

Originally posted by Tskware:

I like GABP though!!
laugh.r191677.gif

Bullpen is just beyond terrible, may as well tell the starters - "you have to pitch 8 innings, no matter what, then we send in Chapman"
Or take your chances working Chapman 2 innings. Might as well

Just in case anyone is wondering, Jay Bruce really sucks. How long will Price stick his .164 BA in the middle of the lineup hoping he will get hot? This is not like a two week slump, he barely hit .200 all last year. Obviously, pitchers have figured him out.

Really need to look at some young players this season, Phillips has zero extra base hits in 2015 . . . and he hit cleanup last night! :eek:

Sadly, now they are 11-12, 4th in the Central, about where I think they'll finish barring a giant turnaround by the Brewer's which isn't out of the question. I looked over their stats this morning. Only 3 teams in the major's have a worse team batting average, and the Reds outfield is pretty much a certain out. About the only good thing I could see is they've managed to be 9th in runs scored in the NL while being 15th in batting. At least they are modestly efficient at getting runs in when they do manage a few hits. That and Votto of course who's off to a great start with an excellent avg and tied for 2nd in homer's with Frazier. Watching those two have outstanding season's is likely the best thing Red's fans can hope for along with Cueto maybe winning 20.

The "runs scored" stat is misleading. Last week they scored 16 runs in one game, then followed that game with games where they scored 2, 2, 3 and 2 runs. They've had other big scoring games of 9 and 8 runs. In this case their average run production is not a good indicator of what you can count on them to do. They are more likely to score 3 runs per game than hit their average of 4. That won't win many games.

ADVERTISEMENT