ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits denials are funny

uk78

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Zimmerman. Jerry Meyer's release that he is going to UNLV is wrong. Newman, not true I am announcing for Mississippi State. These guys are a joke.

I guess when a player denies he is attending a program it means he is attending that program.

I think their best bet would just be to not respond at all, most don't believe the "experts" know anything anyway.

I think their best bet would just be to not respond at all, most don't believe the "experts" know anything anyway.

Exactly. All the denial does is confirm for us that the recruit plans to choose that school. Keep it close to the vest and don't acknowledge the reports either way. These families want to keep the suspense going until the very last moment but once these analysts get wind of the decision the thrill is gone. Just announce or confirm.

The tragedy of it all is kids having a moment ruined so some pen jockey that likely never played ball can be tagged as "having the scoop". Its partially the kids fault and more so the parents fault for having leaks in the inner circle. Either the circle is too big (aka posse) or someone close to the kid has a big mouth. Either way its wrong at the end of the day.

The way the kids can remedy this is to not let the coaches that lost out know the decision until the player has his announcement.

These recruiting experts get their info from the staffs of the teams that have been notified by the player beforehand. So, the staffs from those teams that lost out may feel a little jilted and jaded, hence the telling that the recruit has chosen another team.

I do not believe that Cal and our staff does this, but I believe some of the others do.

Well since they didn't pick UK at least it got ruined for them by it being leaked. Lets hope Newman and Zimmerman have bad years and fall in the draft to help us with recruits in the future. Then we can be like well if Newman had came here he'd be a top 5 pick. LOL.

Well since they didn't pick UK at least it got ruined for them by it being leaked. Lets hope Newman and Zimmerman have bad years and fall in the draft to help us with recruits in the future. Then we can be like well if Newman had came here he'd be a top 5 pick. LOL.
Terrible post. I wish them the best unless we play their teams.

It would be interesting to know who these leaks are every year. we knew about Zimmerman and Newman, so who would be the person close to them letting it out? With Diallo everyone seems to know it is Kansas, so who is the person around him that would tell anyone he is leaning that way? Almost every time when the concensus out in the public toward the end of the recruitment is that it will be a certain school it usually is that school. Is it one of their coaches or a friend that is the untrusty one? You know it isn't the player or parent.

It would be interesting to know who these leaks are every year. we knew about Zimmerman and Newman, so who would be the person close to them letting it out? With Diallo everyone seems to know it is Kansas, so who is the person around him that would tell anyone he is leaning that way? Almost every time when the concensus out in the public toward the end of the recruitment is that it will be a certain school it usually is that school. Is it one of their coaches or a friend that is the untrusty one? You know it isn't the player or parent.
Everyone seems to know Diallo is going to Kansas?I haven't heard anything about Diallo being a Kansas lock.

Everyone seems to know Diallo is going to Kansas?I haven't heard anything about Diallo being a Kansas lock.
Said nothing about a lock. As each day goes by you see more people saying KU is the leader. Why do they say this? A leak? Just because more people are saying it so they join the bandwagon? A few days ago he was going to St Johns because of Slice. He was going to UK because Cal got the last visit and was turning up the recruitment of him. Since then, even on this forum, you get the feeling it's KU because he can start at the 5, KU has been on him hard so long, he loves Ellis and Wiggins girlfriend, and on and on and on. So he has to be going to KU because of all that.

Has anyone noticed Diallo loving some of our players on twitter. Noticed Diallo commenting that Cal's record of preparing kids for the pro's far outweighs all other coaches? Wanting to play in front of the most passionate fan base in all of college basketball and possibly in all sports? Him commenting on how much playing time is available at UK for a player like him? I personally have noticed none of that, except him enjoying talking french with Skal.

Of course, nobody knows. Is it just a bunch of pessimistic people joining in with others everyday and reading all the twitter crap? Or is there a leak from his circle? In our minds how could he turn down playing in the biggest program there is? As much as he is thinking about it, why not go for the sure thing? Maybe he will.

I guess I don't get this "Moment in the Sun", or "Their Time" when they announce or whatever.
After those 30 seconds, nobody cares anymore. Whatever, but to me it's overblown, media hype, leak, or otherwise. Silly to me.

I agree with you but the reality is its big to them. Just like I think all the hoopla over tennis shoes is pure insanity but once again today's kids love shoes. I suppose I'm just a crotchety old man to them, perhaps they're right. Factor in there was a time the "baggy shorts" drove me nuts too but upon reflection I was wrong on that one. They are much better than the "highwaters shorts" I wore in my day.

Although politically incorrect and easy to put-down, I am not far off in feeling than UKJohnny. If players like Newman can go to a mediocre program like Miss State and have as much success as they would if coming to Kentucky then I believe it does hurt recruiting. Elite programs should hold some meaning. I have no problem seeing Zimmerman and Newman doing poorly at their respective schools. I do believe in the long run it might sink in on some future recruits that there is a reason to choose programs like Kentucky is you are really talented and want to succeed. Plus, any of you that have ever posted before how our tough practices help a player improve because of the competition are full of it if you equally feel then that going to a lesser program with minimal talent doesn't have any adverse impact. It is easy to take the non-controversial side.

Newman mentioned a championship. Four starters back, great transfer I believe? and him coming in. If he only knew like we do the difficulty of a championship. Even with a bunch of pros on your team. If winning a championship was why he went there.....that and being the man. Maybe to please his dad also? He just seems like the type that would have benefited much more at a higher profile school.

I agree that the best way to handle the situation would be to neither confirm or deny. Makes them look foolish in the end when they lie about it.

Doesn't really matter at the end of the day. I just hope we don't have many more classes like this one. There's already a lack of talent in college basketball. Having elite players spread out and go to schools that nobody will ever watch play hurts college basketball way more than the one and dones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT