ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking UK’s Transfer Portal Needs

YaketySax

Senior
Jun 28, 2018
I don’t know total budget (I assume $2-4 million upper and lower bound), but this would be my ranked list and best estimate at cost. All are totally uneducated guesses to be clear.

1. Transfer QB ($700k - $1 million)
2. Keep Deone Walker ($300-800k)
3. Keep Cox ($400-700k…LT will be pricey due to positions market rate)
4. Keep Wallace ($250-500k)
5. Keep Hairston ($250-600…no clue of CB market rate)
6. Keep Brown and Key ($700k budget for both)
7. Interior OL ($300k but no clue on market rate for C and G positions)
8. TE ($150k get a good one at G5 level like what Ole Miss got from Memphis if possible)
9. Retaining starters ($50-80k each)

I feel better than most on signed talent at the other positions. Pony up ;)

Last edited:
Nice list but it would be criminal imo to pay Brown that much for his production. Also don’t see a need for another TE since we seldom use them other than blocking. If anything, we need to put some money into some DBs, safety and corner (and coaches) which would really help our defense. Finally, I’d find the money to find an edge guy if he had to be paid six figures. All a pipe dream and easy for me to say since all I can afford is $50/mo.

Reactions: YaketySax and JC-3
Keep Brown????
He and Leary have been the BIGGEST disappointments of the team this season.
Would depend on the price but probably. Otherwise you roll the dice you upgrade in the portal. I wouldn’t have hurt feelings if a team more desperate than UK overpays for him.

Basically UK needs the same things they did last year. QB, RB, OL, and DL. Unless you start a freshman QB

Reactions: K_TIME
Pass on Brown.
Key get minum wage for the year he has had also

Must haves- QB. It ends and starts with this. Without that next season will be much worse than this year. Boley isnt the answer next year. Not close.

OL/DL/RB- I think we can get a RB but we have Wilcox but need depth. DL- be nice to get someone who can pass rush. Pay Deone Walker whatever he wants. He is out best player. Lose him and the moral of this team will hit rock bottom. OL- always need depth, if Cox is returning pay him what he wants. He is a close second to importance for in QB and Walker.

Basically UK needs the same things they did last year. QB, RB, OL, and DL. Unless you start a freshman QB
If we do then we are going to be bad next year. I watched Boley several times this year. I don't know that we'll ever see him as a starter for UK. Decent arm strength but decision making and mechanics are not good. He's a project at best at this point. Allen and Sheron were both better than him when they were seniors.

Every backup QB out there is a possible portal acquisition. Everyone thinks they can start . Also , mid major guys that blowup and play above their recruiting ranking are targets to move to power 5 . There will always be a serviceable QB you can coach up out there to acquire

I don’t know total budget (I assume $2-4 million upper and lower bound), but this would be my ranked list and best estimate at cost. All are totally uneducated guesses to be clear.

1. Transfer QB ($700k - $1 million)
2. Keep Deone Walker ($300-800k)
3. Keep Cox ($400-700k…LT will be pricey due to positions market rate)
4. Keep Wallace ($250-500k)
5. Keep Hairston ($250-600…no clue of CB market rate)
6. Keep Brown and Key ($700k budget for both)
7. Interior OL ($300k but no clue on market rate for C and G positions)
8. TE ($150k get a good one at G5 level like what Ole Miss got from Memphis if possible)
9. Retaining starters ($50-80k each)

I feel better than most on signed talent at the other positions. Pony up ;)
Sorry, but where do you get that range of numbers? I haven't such before. Of course, I haven't thought to look either. Thanks.

The secondary needs to upgraded. We got burned deep way too much this year. These guys have some talent but they just don't see to get the execution/communication part of their responsibilities. Not calling out any one but there were certain players that disappointed me this year, I know they could have played much better and NO it isn't the scheme. We ran the same scheme we have run the past couple of year or more which fielded top 20/25 defenses. Next after that is to try and find OLB(s) that can be success on the edge. Wade is a good young player but we need more help there IMO.

6’3” or taller QB that can scramble when needed
Offensive Lineman - Pay them and they will come!

How do we know what we need until we see who transfers out? The past two years we came out ahead. I have no inside info, just a feeling, butr I don't think we come out ahead this time.

First portal starts in a week I think? One guy we want is Raymond Cottrell, a 6-3 210 TAM WR. Was a four star and has four years left to play. Ran an 11.14 100 in high school.

I doubt we even have 2.5 mil total in NIL to be spent. Those numbers are unrealistic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT