ADVERTISEMENT

Questions about possibly filing for disability.

ManitouDan

All-American
Dec 7, 2006
So I'd venture to guess some have experience with this topic as I'm pretty much a rookie , I know next to nothing about the process .. sooo , Next year will be 30 years working as a pharmacist , plus 4 I worked as a X-ray tech full time before pharmacy school . And I'm at the point I just cant take it physically . I'm 56 , at 51 or 52 I was diagnosed with Benign Fasciculation Syndrome .. my muscles starting twitching involuntarily , esp the calves . I have pretty constant cramping and fatigue and I'm at the point I cant function fully at work in retail pharmacy .( just cant stand long enough ) . I have disc issues in cervical spine , and terrible osteoarthritis . family history is awful , both older brothers have had both knees replaced and multiple shoulder and spine operations .. we play/work hard , all were athletes and runners in our youth .
Anyway my questions :
1) Do you need a lawyer ? 2) I've heard it takes 2 years or so to get an answer 3) does my situation sound like I would be a candidate for disability ?
my email drsrph1@yahoo.com if you want to respond privately . Not my primary email so let me know if you send one .

So I'd venture to guess some have experience with this topic as I'm pretty much a rookie , I know next to nothing about the process .. sooo , Next year will be 30 years working as a pharmacist , plus 4 I worked as a X-ray tech full time before pharmacy school . And I'm at the point I just cant take it physically . I'm 56 , at 51 or 52 I was diagnosed with Benign Fasciculation Syndrome .. my muscles starting twitching involuntarily , esp the calves . I have pretty constant cramping and fatigue and I'm at the point I cant function fully at work in retail pharmacy .( just cant stand long enough ) . I have disc issues in cervical spine , and terrible osteoarthritis . family history is awful , both older brothers have had both knees replaced and multiple shoulder and spine operations .. we play/work hard , all were athletes and runners in our youth .
Anyway my questions :
1) Do you need a lawyer ? 2) I've heard it takes 2 years or so to get an answer 3) does my situation sound like I would be a candidate for disability ?
my email drsrph1@yahoo.com if you want to respond privately . Not my primary email so let me know if you send one .

Sounds awful Dan. Best of luck to you.

I'm an only child and still kind of young, ha but both parents suffer from major physical ailments, one stemming from a near fatal car wreck 30+ years ago and the other from just physical labor and genetics.

Mom has had both shoulders and knees replaced plus spinal surgeries. Suffers from arthritis in hips and significant daily pain. She was thrown from vehicle through windshield when I was a kid.

Dad has terrible genetics. Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, spinal fusion, ankle replacement and knee replacement.

It is absurd. I feel for them everyday just trying to take care of myself as best I can physically as I get older, to hopefully avoid some of this. Not easy trying to take care of two aging parents.

My folks never went on disability. Mom is a retired teacher and she has been dealing with most of this since mid 30's. Dad retired a couple years back and honestly most if not all of his stuff started shortly after retirement.

Yeah its very rough or I wouldnt even consider going this route .. I just found out if you file you cant keep working any at all. So there's 18 months on the average I was told to wait for an answer . `But after a nine hr shift I have a hard time moving the next day . Everything hurts . Wrist from working the mouse all day , feet , ankles , hips . Its rough .

Sounds like you have proven you will work so you're probably screwed. Now if you would have claimed this disability from birth and never worked a day in your life it wouldn't have been a problem because our system rewards the lazy. Of course you could always go the route that a guy I know was bragging got him his disability. He was claiming to be a little "touched" in the head and when he went before the judge to get his disability he stuffed a ziplock bag of peanut butter down the back of his pants before he went into the courtroom. When he got in front of the judge would stick his hand down the back of his pants, into the ziplock bag of peanut butter, pull out his hand and lick the peanut butter from his fingers like he was eating his own 💩. That was the story he told anyway. He was very proud of the fact he had scammed the judge and wouldn't have to work. 🙄

Conn-Billboard-720x380.jpg

Sounds like you have proven you will work so you're probably screwed. Now if you would have claimed this disability from birth and never worked a day in your life it wouldn't have been a problem because our system rewards the lazy. Of course you could always go the route that a guy I know was bragging got him his disability. He was claiming to be a little "touched" in the head and when he went before the judge to get his disability he stuffed a ziplock bag of peanut butter down the back of his pants before he went into the courtroom. When he got in front of the judge would stick his hand down the back of his pants, into the ziplock bag of peanut butter, pull out his hand and lick the peanut butter from his fingers like he was eating his own 💩. That was the story he told anyway. He was very proud of the fact he had scammed the judge and wouldn't have to work. 🙄
I was told similar things .

You can get it while working but it's obviously harder. If you have a long history of doctor visits that helps. Make sure it's on doctors records of how it's hurting your ability to work(either from you saying that or them). If it's hurting your mental state because you want to work mention that too. Some doctors will write statements how they think your conditions hurt your ability to work. If you have problems but never go to the doctor, that can hurt your case.

Best advice from a dumb person is evaluate what money you would have if you quit today. Any retirement, 401k, savings, etc ... If you can live off that a year or two you can try the process. You don't have to have a lawyer, but they can help and typically they don't charge unless you get back pay. Will take at least 3 or 4 months and sometimes a few years.

Both of my parents got theirs quick. First my mother in about 3 months and my dad was a few weeks due to it being terminal cancer.

It will be harder for you since you've worked all your life. If you never worked and had 12 kids you'd probably get it in a few months.

My dad was told by doctors, after he had his heart attack, that he couldn't go back to his job laying asphalt. However, the SS doctor told him he could get an office job that wouldn't be strenuous on him. My father was one of those kids that had to quit school in 8th grade to work and help support the family due to my grandfather passing at an early age from heart failure. There are not many offices that will hire a guy with an 8th grade education. He had to hire an attorney and it was still a long battle. My mom worked as much overtime as she could at a shirt factory to keep food on the table for those 2-3 years he was fighting for his. I'm not sure he would have ever been able to get his disability if the attorney hadn't written Hal Rogers and got him involved. After they got Hal involved it was only a few months and he started drawing. I remember he got some backpay because he bought me my first car with part of it. It was a 1979 Triumph TR7 that he paid, if I remember correctly, $500 for. It was a piece of junk but I was ticked to death with it because I knew they sacrifice they had to make during that time.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend any attorney. My wife’s previous employer had to go through the same thing due to a Parkinson’s diagnosis and the process took about 2 years. You will not be able to work again, or will need to work a job with significantly reduced income.

My dad was told by doctors, after he had his heart attack, that he couldn't go back to his job laying asphalt. However, the SS doctor told him he could get an office job that wouldn't be strenuous on him. My father was one of those kids that had to quit school in 8th grade to work and help support the family due to my grandfather passing at an early age from heart failure. There are not many offices that will hire a guy with an 8th grade education. He had to hire an attorney and it was still a long battle. My mom worked as much overtime as she could at a shirt factory to keep food on the table for those 2-3 years he was fighting for his. I'm not sure he would have ever been able to get his disability if the attorney hadn't written Hal Rogers and got him involved. After they got Hal involved it was only a few months and he started drawing. I remember he got some backpay because he bought me my first car with part of it. It was a 1979 Triumph TR7 that he paid, if I remember correctly, $500 for. It was a piece of junk but I was ticked to death with it because I knew they sacrifice they had to make during that time.
Surely Massie would do the same for those in the 4th district. Has anyone gone that route?🤣

That sounds awful. As someone that suffers from an invisible injury it’s a terrible and frustrating thing to go through. Sorry to hear it man.
Yeah the nighttime twitching / cramping can be a huge issue , interrupts sleep , then everything goes south . I work in a place that is extremely busy , there are no breaks . not a place for a tired weary RPh. And my place doesnt fully use a electronic check system to erase human error .. it scares me .. but chain pharmacy work is a garbage pit .. its so bad its indescribable .

Yeah the nighttime twitching / cramping can be a huge issue , interrupts sleep , then everything goes south . I work in a place that is extremely busy , there are no breaks . not a place for a tired weary RPh. And my place doesnt fully use a electronic check system to erase human error .. it scares me .. but chain pharmacy work is a garbage pit .. its so bad its indescribable .

Sorry to hear it man. Hope you are able to get some relief and able to get unemployment.

Anyway my questions :
I sent you an email

Yeah its very rough or I wouldnt even consider going this route .. I just found out if you file you cant keep working any at all. So there's 18 months on the average I was told to wait for an answer . `But after a nine hr shift I have a hard time moving the next day . Everything hurts . Wrist from working the mouse all day , feet , ankles , hips . Its rough .
Since you have a diagnoses ask to see an occupational therapist maybe to get some accommodations. There may be some assistive tech to alleviate some of your suffering.

Reactions: warrior-cat
Anyway my questions :
Wait, weren't you in the political thread bitching about "government-dependent types" in the cities of Pennsylvania?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT