ADVERTISEMENT

Question regarding NCAA recruiting rules and what rules do you think need changing

W2R

All-American
Jun 3, 2010
we all have our gripes about the NCAA and some of the rules especially regarding recruiting

My question is, why is it against the rules for a coach to even breath the name of a recruit til they commit or sign on the dotted line? This seems so silly to me. Why is this a violation ? Why can't a coach talk about a high school or foreign player freely. Even if they might not be recruiting them? Why can't a coach or staff comment on what they like about a player's game or if the kid had a big night in a tournament say something about it? Is there any real,harm in this?

I go back to when Bruce Pearl got in trouble. We all know about the BBQ and cell phones ect. But now all the text rules have changed. They were outdated by like ten years when not everyone had a cell phone. As soon as coach K got in trouble for some texts, they changed the rule. Now we have social media ......do you think the rules are up to date? Kids can post pics or tweet but a coach can't say anything publicly about the visit.

Please enlighten me why talking about a recruit is so taboo. What are some of the other things you think are stupid, outdated or silly the NCAA has made

Reactions: C1180
Not sure how I really feel about the rule that a coach can't talk about a recruit but I understand that the reasoning behind the rule is to prevent unseen problems.

Most rules are created to address a problem that once existed. You are right that technology does change things and the NCAA has to stay current but if everyone knows the rules then the playing field is even.

Not sure how I really feel about the rule that a coach can't talk about a recruit but I understand that the reasoning behind the rule is to prevent unseen problems.

Most rules are created to address a problem that once existed. You are right that technology does change things and the NCAA has to stay current but if everyone knows the rules then the playing field is even.

I don't think it puts to much of a burden on the coaches to avoid talking about a recruit, like you said its for a reason thats been a problem in the past. We fans need to support the NCAA so they can do their job. If you look at the violations that have occurred recently by coaches who have coached for years, its a sad situation.

It just shows how little they are concerned about their program. They all want to continue getting that check. "Winning, whatever it takes " is ruining college basketball.

The NCAA is doing a great job in my opinion, considering they have no subpeona power and cannot force the violators to testify under oath. I think their organization is the best system we can hope for. JMHO

It's just funny to me....you see 20 tweets from the media bout how a player had a great game. You see the pics of the coaches at the games and at the kids home , but the coach can't say if he is or isn't recruiting the kid. I also thinks it's funny that during certain times a coach can't talk, tweet, meet or whatever with a kid, but at certain times a coach is not supposed to say one word to,the kid if he bumps into him at an aau game. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I understand dead periods and stuff. They make sense. A recruit needs time to not be hounded by a bunch of people. But to have to ignore each other when you are in the same building is kinda weird to me

The NCAA is doing a great job in my opinion, considering they have no subpeona power and cannot force the violators to testify under oath. I think their organization is the best system we can hope for. JMHO

I am not as negative about the NCAA as some are. I know they have a difficult job under limited conditions. But, I also know that they can be wildly inconsistent. And, it doesn't help to have a weasel at your top man

. Emmert's history is not one to be proud of BEFORE he went to the NCAA and he has failed miserably at the NCAA to be a good leader. For him to publicly comment on the Kanter situation BEFORE the committee ruled was inappropriate.

And then, if that isn't bad enough, Emmert comes out and says that the NCAA doesn't have to be consistent and stick with precedent. I honestly wonder how this man still has a job?

Reactions: treyforuk and W2R
Yep. Player cheats on a exam in high school or a teacher lets him slide. He is banned from ever playing in a collegiate game because the ncaa says so

Player cheats in college Never goes to class. Doesn't even know the teacher or criteria of the class. Gets a fake
Grade. But the ncaa says they have no jurisdiction on college courses

The other rule
I hate is you can sign a million dollar
Baseball contract but can play collegiate football or basketball.
But play for an overseas club league. Get money for
Room and board and meals and Never spend a dime of it.......you are ineligible.

Or the average ncaa athlete gets a few hundred bucks from an autograph and its forbidden

we all have our gripes about the NCAA and some of the rules especially regarding recruiting

My question is, why is it against the rules for a coach to even breath the name of a recruit til they commit or sign on the dotted line? This seems so silly to me. Why is this a violation ? Why can't a coach talk about a high school or foreign player freely. Even if they might not be recruiting them? Why can't a coach or staff comment on what they like about a player's game or if the kid had a big night in a tournament say something about it? Is there any real,harm in this?

I go back to when Bruce Pearl got in trouble. We all know about the BBQ and cell phones ect. But now all the text rules have changed. They were outdated by like ten years when not everyone had a cell phone. As soon as coach K got in trouble for some texts, they changed the rule. Now we have social media ......do you think the rules are up to date? Kids can post pics or tweet but a coach can't say anything publicly about the visit.

Please enlighten me why talking about a recruit is so taboo. What are some of the other things you think are stupid, outdated or silly the NCAA has made

Unfair advantage for one. If Cal talks about a recruit how much media will that receive versus just about any other coach. I can see a few reasons why this rule is in effect actually.

I am not as negative about the NCAA as some are. I know they have a difficult job under limited conditions. But, I also know that they can be wildly inconsistent. And, it doesn't help to have a weasel at your top man

. Emmert's history is not one to be proud of BEFORE he went to the NCAA and he has failed miserably at the NCAA to be a good leader. For him to publicly comment on the Kanter situation BEFORE the committee ruled was inappropriate.

And then, if that isn't bad enough, Emmert comes out and says that the NCAA doesn't have to be consistent and stick with precedent. I honestly wonder how this man still has a job?
I'm not familiar with Emmert's past, but he was elected by his peers. I do think his consistency is questioned because no two cases are identical. Fans read the headlines more or less and doesn't really know the facts, similar maybe but not the same.

You have to remember the NCAA is dealing with people who have not followed the rules and seldom ever come clean with NCAA, because they have something to hide. Coaches and players use the "I didn't know" excuse very freely.

There have been several instances where head coaches have been caught cheating at previous schools and still are hired by AD's. One name comes to mind is Kevin Sampson, the telephone man. The AD's should be held accountable for such action. Those kind of people have no place in the college sports programs. jmho

I'm not familiar with Emmert's past, but he was elected by his peers. I do think his consistency is questioned because no two cases are identical. Fans read the headlines more or less and doesn't really know the facts, similar maybe but not the same.

You have to remember the NCAA is dealing with people who have not followed the rules and seldom ever come clean with NCAA, because they have something to hide. Coaches and players use the "I didn't know" excuse very freely.

There have been several instances where head coaches have been caught cheating at previous schools and still are hired by AD's. One name comes to mind is Kevin Sampson, the telephone man. The AD's should be held accountable for such action. Those kind of people have no place in the college sports programs. jmho

It is ironic that you talk about AD's being held accountable for hiring coaches who cheat. Emmert has been involved in scandal at every step along the way. When I say he is a "weasel," it is because he truly has either turned his back to massive fraud or been involved directly.

Yeah, coaches and players do use the "I don't know" excuse freely. Duke used it with Maggette and so did Maggette. The NCAA ruled that neither party knew rules were violated. I have no idea how Maggette didn't know it was against the rules to take money. Lance Thomas buys $100K worth of bling and then refused to cooperate and the NCAA says that nothing can be done. Rose doesn't cooperate and games are vacated.

Here is an article about Emmert that doesn't even cover all the scandals that happened under his leadership or lack thereof:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...dent-emmert-previous-cases-uconn-lsu/2047607/

It is ironic that you talk about AD's being held accountable for hiring coaches who cheat. Emmert has been involved in scandal at every step along the way. When I say he is a "weasel," it is because he truly has either turned his back to massive fraud or been involved directly.

Yeah, coaches and players do use the "I don't know" excuse freely. Duke used it with Maggette and so did Maggette. The NCAA ruled that neither party knew rules were violated. I have no idea how Maggette didn't know it was against the rules to take money. Lance Thomas buys $100K worth of bling and then refused to cooperate and the NCAA says that nothing can be done. Rose doesn't cooperate and games are vacated.

Here is an article about Emmert that doesn't even cover all the scandals that happened under his leadership or lack thereof:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...dent-emmert-previous-cases-uconn-lsu/2047607/
Preacherfan, thanks for providing that link to Emmert's past. Seems to me that most of his criticism was a He Said, She Said, situation.

In fact there was numerous reports he made changes that were very positive for several colleges. The report pointed out that Emmert is not involved in infraction cases nor does he make the rules or decide punishment. In other words its kind of hard to blame Emmert for everything thats wrong at the NCAA. If he was guilty of all the negative things that were pointed out, why didn't the schools follow up on their criticisms and remove him from his position?

The NCAA is understaffed and powerless to really clean up the college sports programs. Emmerts salary was mentioned about him being the highest paid employee. Its not a drop in the bucket to what many coaches make.

The report also mentioned his latest accomplishment of leadership and trust. So just dealing with the type of problems that is constantly showing up year after year, there is going to be bumps along the way. So it seems to me Emmert is more than holding his own with his critics.

A lot of his criticism was just a difference in opinion. that is the way I see it. .

IMO the rule that coaches can not discuss their recruits before they are signed is a real silly rule. I could see instances however where coaches wouldn't want it known that they were recruiting a player.

There is programs out there that just let other coaching staffs evaluate players and as soon as that program goes after a player they just copycat and also go after them.

IMO the rule that coaches can not discuss their recruits before they are signed is a real silly rule. I could see instances however where coaches wouldn't want it known that they were recruiting a player.

There is programs out there that just let other coaching staffs evaluate players and as soon as that program goes after a player they just copycat and also go after them.

Recruiting through the media would not be a good thing and that is what coaches would do. Not a good idea.

I believed Emmert big test is what the NCAA does with University of North Carolina for cheating 20+ years.

ADVERTISEMENT