ADVERTISEMENT

Question for those who played: "arm tackling"

KingsportKat

Blue Chip Prospect
Jun 16, 2009
Never understood why a player would deliberately try to tackle with just his arm when he could get a shoulder in. Isn't it really a matter of not being able to get into the proper place to make the tackle, whether it be from lack of speed/quickness or being out of position? Then he has to reach out with his arm in desperation. "Arm tackling" makes it sound like it's deliberate.

Imagine a 200 pound boulder is rolling directly at you and you want to stop it. What's going to hurt less? Stepping out of the way and trying to "catch it" or staying right in it's path while jamming your shoulder into it?

It's not deliberate in the sense the player has time to think about the decision, but just a self preservation instinct to avoid a big collision (especially if it seems likely the tackler might not win the encounter).

TLDR, afraid to hit.

Arm tackling comes from being out of position. If you are face up with a ball carrier it is easier to tackle the way you are supposed to. If you out of position you end up reaching. You're right though it's not deliberate it's just being late to the point of attack and having to reach instead of tackle correctly.

Arm tackling comes from being out of position. If you are face up with a ball carrier it is easier to tackle the way you are supposed to. If you out of position you end up reaching. You're right though it's not deliberate it's just being late to the point of attack and having to reach instead of tackle correctly.
That's pretty much it. I will add that if you lunge or drop your head you are likely to end up in an arm tackling situation.

However, I have always been of the opinion there is no such thing as a "bad" tackle. The real problem with "arm tackling" is that it usually does not result in a tackle. [winking]

Peace

Last edited:
Arm tackling can be deliberate.. Although form tackling is always the best.. You can't always do that.. The game is extremely fast.. If the ball carrier makes a good move sometimes all u can do is get an arm on them.. Also say you are being blocked and can not disengage from the blocker.. In that case.. Just reaching out give you at least some chance of making the tackle.

Reactions: BIGBLUEQ
TB and Wildcard pretty much nailed it. Ideally you want to be in proper position to bury your facemask into the guys chest.......then wrap both arms around the guy like a bear hug........but it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes you just have a bad angle and need to make the most of it. When I played and took a bad angle, I would aim for the hips/thighs and try to wrap up his legs.

Never understood why a player would deliberately try to tackle with just his arm when he could get a shoulder in. Isn't it really a matter of not being able to get into the proper place to make the tackle, whether it be from lack of speed/quickness or being out of position? Then he has to reach out with his arm in desperation. "Arm tackling" makes it sound like it's deliberate.

Generally there are 2 distinct different reasons for arm tackling. 1 is the ball carrier makes a good move on you or you are trying to get to him but can't quite get there and the results of that is you end up reaching in an attempt to tackle the ball carrier. Number 2 is the defender doesn't want to take the ball carrier on physically and doesn't align himself to get his shoulder into the tackle and stands to the side reaching out with his arm in hopes of making the tackle. You hope its the first, but lots of DBs are not to thrilled with taking on a 230+LB RB with their body. Dione Sanders was one of the worst at doing this, but one of the best pass defenders of all time.

Reactions: I am stupid
Generally there are 2 distinct different reasons for arm tackling. 1 is the ball carrier makes a good move on you or you are trying to get to him but can't quite get there and the results of that is you end up reaching in an attempt to tackle the ball carrier. Number 2 is the defender doesn't want to take the ball carrier on physically and doesn't align himself to get his shoulder into the tackle and stands to the side reaching out with his arm in hopes of making the tackle. You hope its the first, but lots of DBs are not to thrilled with taking on a 230+LB RB with their body. Dione Sanders was one of the worst at doing this, but one of the best pass defenders of all time.

I think a third reason is if you are trying to dislodge the ball.

From someone who played a lot of football in my younger days, proper technique is more effective and less painful than arm tackling. A knee to the arm is very hard on forearm, biceps and shoulder.

I know what I was taught. But I also understand when some say that secondary guys are now taught to arm tackle to avoid stingers (that's wasn't the case when I played--at least not that I was aware of). Some do it, some like to hit. But if you have had a stinger, you know that it's a reasonable thing to avoid.

If you are tackling properly then you shouldn't be throwing a shoulder in there either. Nose on the numbers, shoot your guns, wrap and drive them back.

If you are tackling properly then you shouldn't be throwing a shoulder in there either. Nose on the numbers, shoot your guns, wrap and drive them back.

That's on the practice field, the guy with the ball is doing everything he can do to keep you from being able to line your body up and get your hips under you so you can drive into him.

Dione? [laughing]

Good lord people.

So I fail the spelling test, if you don't know who I am talking about that's too bad you never got to see him pla., Best cover and return guy I ever saw play, maybe ever to play, he just wasn't going to hit anything, and didn't hit much better when he was playing baseball.

Arm tackling is a combination of lack speed, lack of anticipation and being blocked out of position. Now days it's also a fear of being penalized or benched when the opportunity presents itself to use the whole upper body agains the runner.

Don't forget the runner may have a lot to do with that "opportunity" from presenting itself and the runner can use his helmet and shoulders against the tackler.

Arm tackling is a combination of lack speed, lack of anticipation and being blocked out of position. Now days it's also a fear of being penalized or benched when the opportunity presents itself to use the whole upper body agains the runner.

Don't forget the runner may have a lot to do with that "opportunity" from presenting itself and the runner can use his helmet and shoulders against the tackler.

The thing I have a bigger issue with is the "shoulder tackle"...you know, when guys try to lay a big hit with no arms, and the ball carrier bounces off and runs for another 20+ yrds or a TD. To me, there is no excuse for that. If you are in position to lay that kind of hit, then you can wrap up.

That's on the practice field, the guy with the ball is doing everything he can do to keep you from being able to line your body up and get your hips under you so you can drive into him.
True. But the point of the drill is to drill into you the form. Keep your eyes on your target's core and wrap up.

So I fail the spelling test, if you don't know who I am talking about that's too bad you never got to see him pla., Best cover and return guy I ever saw play, maybe ever to play, he just wasn't going to hit anything, and didn't hit much better when he was playing baseball.

Most thought he hit a baseball harder and about as often.[winking]

TB and Wildcard pretty much nailed it. Ideally you want to be in proper position to bury your facemask into the guys chest.......then wrap both arms around the guy like a bear hug........but it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes you just have a bad angle and need to make the most of it. When I played and took a bad angle, I would aim for the hips/thighs and try to wrap up his legs.
Arm tackling shows a lack of quickness which puts you out of position.

Arm tackling is a result of a poor play. Whether it be a poor angle, poor form, or slow read; its a bad football play and often results in a failed tackle attempt.

Interestingly, the Seahawks modified the form tackle for their secondary. Rather than "jaw on the ball", meaning the head slides to the front side of the ball carrier; they teach sliding the head to the backside of the ball carrier. Its causing alot of people to rethink the classic form tackle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT