ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Hotels in Lexington...

Jan 3, 2004
Hey guys, Auburn fan here trying to get some advice from Cat fans. Planning on making my first trip to Lexington for our Thursday night game in October. I know most hotels close to campus will be booked by now, but does anyone have any advice on places to stay? Downtown still has a ton of options, but I know nothing about how bad traffic is getting to campus on gamedays(plus trying to find parking). Any advice would be much appreciated and looking forward to my first trip up there.

Downtown is probably your best bet as far as proximity to Commonwealth Stadium. My group comes from Louisville and we always cut through downtown from I-64 taking the 115 exit and usually have no issues. However, we tailgate so we always get there a few hours ahead of time and this is a weeknight game. Something Lexington or UK has never experienced. I'm planning on a nightmare for that night just due to the fact it's Lexington and it's a overpopulated smaller city anyway. Parking is something else that hasn't been addressed either to my knowledge. Commonwealth Stadium is used for student parking during the week so parking may be limited. Usually 20 bucks will get you a halfway decent spot around the stadium but who knows. This is a unique game for UK so I would say just arrive as early as possible. I would check back maybe a month out from the game and hopefully there will be some better answers from a logistics standpoint
Good Luck.

The Holiday Inn Express on Export Street is just two blocks from campus and you can walk to the game at Commonwealth Stadium. I would call today as Keeneland will be running. The number is 859-389-6800.

The Holiday Inn Express on Export Street is just two blocks from campus and you can walk to the game at Commonwealth Stadium. I would call today as Keeneland will be running. The number is 859-389-6800.

That's a hidden lil' gem. Was wondering if anyone stays there - as it is kind of hidden on the side of campus.

Hey guys, Auburn fan here trying to get some advice from Cat fans. Planning on making my first trip to Lexington for our Thursday night game in October. I know most hotels close to campus will be booked by now, but does anyone have any advice on places to stay? Downtown still has a ton of options, but I know nothing about how bad traffic is getting to campus on gamedays(plus trying to find parking). Any advice would be much appreciated and looking forward to my first trip up there.
First, Welcome to Lexington! I hope you find Lexington as hospitable as I have found my trips to The Plains! Absolutely love your town and Jordan-Hare.

As I have to "travel" to home games (I live in Georgia), I often wind up staying in hotels in Lexington. There is a dearth of decent hotels within easy walking distance of Commonwealth. I usually stay on the outskirts of town (it makes jumping on I-75 south easier the next day), but I also have a parking pass. As others have noted, staying at one of the downtown hotels and catching the shuttle may be your best option.

I know you will see history made that night - the first Thursday night game in Commonwealth! I also hope you get to see UK beat the Tigers! [winking]

Again, welcome and safe travels.

Appreciate all of the help and responses. Have heard nothing but great things about Lexington. I think we are going to make a weekend out of it. Game Thursday, bourbon tour Friday as well as horse racing. Seems like if I can't get a hotel close enough, the game day shuttle is the way to go as far as convenience.

University Inn is always a go to if available. Now, if you go to the game, a bourbon tour and Keeneland, just be prepared. You are going to want to move here... I'll introduce you to a Realtor if you like.

Reactions: jnewc2
University Inn is always a go to if available. Now, if you go to the game, a bourbon tour and Keeneland, just be prepared. You are going to want to move here... I'll introduce you to a Realtor if you like.

I told my wife the exact same thing. On the other hand it would be nice to see some good basketball for a change.

Reactions: martycat1

Staying downtown is BY FAR your best option. There is a shuttle that goes to the game every 10 min or so. Also, there are many, many fantastic restaurants downtown. For a first time visitor, it would make no sense staying in the suburbs where there is nothing but chain restaurants and box stores. Come downtown and explore our historical sites (Gratz Park, Mary Todd Lincoln House, Henry Clay Estate etc), eat and drink at many unique local places (West Sixth Brewery, County Club, Tony's, Nick Ryans, Arcadium, Skybar, and many many more).

Downtown is very safe and the trolleys downtown are ALWAYS FREE. These are your best options: Hyatt, Hilton, Gratz Park Inn and 21c (if open). Enjoy Check out www.visitlex.com

Last edited:
You might want to try the Embassy Suites or the Hilton Lexington Suites, at the mall at Lexington Green, on Nicholasville Rd, which is a straight shot to the stadium on game day. They may not be booked up yet.

There is a Home2 Suites that is 2 miles from the stadium on Nicholasville road. It just opened in May so most people aren't aware of it yet.

I picked a friend up there the other day. He said it was a very nice place with great service. I would also think that the Hampton Inn on the corner of Southland Drive and Nicholasville Road would be open by then as well.

I stayed at the Marriot Airport over off harrodsburgh road near man'o war for a wedding recently. Very satisfied and some decent restaurants , liquor store, etc nearby.

You've got an oppurtunity to have a great weekend. Definitely stay downtown, I would recommend the Hilton or Hyatt. They are across the street from each other and directly adjacent from where the downtown shuttle will take you right to the stadium for $5 each way (I live about a block away and do this sometimes). If the weather is nice, it's only about a 20 minute walk through campus which is a really nice walk to take before a game (what I do most of the time). The shuttle pickup for Keeneland on Friday and Saturday will pick up from the same place, and if you aren't planning on staying around a couple of days after the game to take in the races, then change your plans. Keeneland is one of the greatest events in the US IMHO, and it will be fully decked out for the Breeders Cup when you are in town.

From the downtown hotels, you will also be within a block or two of some great restaurants and bars for evening entertainment. UK's campus essentially borders the South end of downtown and CWS is on the South end of campus.

Might Check Hotwire for better rates and general location.

If it's not booked up yet, I would go for the University Inn if convenience and walking distance are high on your list of priorities. It's right in the middle of all of the tailgating and stuff, and you're as close to the stadium as you're going to get. It's probably a five minute walk from the hotel to the stadium.

Again I really appreciate all of the advice. I have another dumb question. If I stayed downtown and took the shuttle, how hard is it to find after the game? We did something similar when we went to Oxford last year, and the shuttle was hard to find and a complete disaster to get on. The line seemed like a mile long, and took over two hours to finally get on.

Again I really appreciate all of the advice. I have another dumb question. If I stayed downtown and took the shuttle, how hard is it to find after the game? We did something similar when we went to Oxford last year, and the shuttle was hard to find and a complete disaster to get on. The line seemed like a mile long, and took over two hours to finally get on.

The shuttles are actually full size buses. They drop you off in the exact same location that they pick you up. It is SUPER EASY....and the city does a great job of making sure lots of buses are available starting at the beginning of the fourth quarter. I have never stood in line longer than 10 min. The route the buses take is also police patrolled to make the lights and intersections bus friendly. You will be fine!

Everyone that I have ever recommended to stay downtown and take the bus has always said it was the right call. In addition, it is not a bad walk back to the hotels from the stadium anyway. I live a mile north of the downtown hotels. The stadium is about a mile or so south of the downtown hotels. You could easily walk back to the hotel if you wanted to work off your tailgate food too! There are three main hotels downtown: Hyatt, Hilton, and Gratz Park Inn. A fourth hotel will be open starting in November (21c Hotel Museum). www.visitlex.com is a good site to utilize too!

Reactions: AUfan03
UK Football Express - Downtown Route
Cost: $2.50 one-way, $5 round trip

Pre-Game Details
  • Begins 3 hours prior to kick-off and is suspended 30 minutes after kick-off
  • Shuttle will pick up at:
    • Shops at Civic Center; 430 W. Vine (tickets available for purchase at this location)
    • LexTran Transit Center; 200 W. Vine (tickets available for purchase at this location)
    • Chatham's; Woodland/High/Maxwell
  • Shuttle will drop off at the corner of Cooper Dr. and University Dr. adjacent to Parking Structure #1 northwest of Commonwealth Stadium
Post-Game Details
  • Begins at the start of the 4th Quarter and ends 1 hour post-game
  • Shuttle will pick up at the corner of University Drive and Complex Drive. Shuttle will drop off at
    • Shops at Civic Center; 430 W. Vine
    • LexTran Transit Center; 200 W. Vine
    • Chatham's; Woodland/High/Maxwell

Walking from The stadium to downtown would be absolutely miserable. Especially if you were drinking that day.

season ticket holder,, I always park at Rupp, usually walk to CWS and ride the shuttle back, sometimes walk both ways.

Your a hell of a lot tougher than me.
Naw probably not but do like to exercise, ran a lot for years and still like to walk, 67 so I'm slowing down a bit but as others have said its a nice walk through campus! If we ride back the shuttle usually has more opposing fans than ours but we have some interesting conversations with the out of towners.

This thread brings back lots of memories, but I'm here mostly for the Auburn guy. This is mostly my opinion, some I know. If you are going for the weekend, stay downtown and use the shuttle. The walk is about 2 miles, I would think it would be closer to 40 minutes than 20, especially if you are not on a mission. (For you UK people, I lived on Aylesford and walked close to there every day for a couple years).

You mentioned something about basketball, there is a rumor that some pros may be in town Saturday night: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/nba-cats/kings-and-pelicans-close-to-exhibition-game-in-rupp-arena/ and Big Blue Maddness on Friday.

Bumping this thread because I have another question for you guys. Does anyone know anything about the Campbell House Hotel? Seems to be a better price option, but don't know if it's an easy walk to the stadium/campus for us. Also there is a really cheap option.. The Inn on Broadway. I understand you get what you pay for, but is that choice even a real option? I apologize about bugging everyone on here with this, but the input is much appreciated. Thanks again.

Bumping this thread because I have another question for you guys. Does anyone know anything about the Campbell House Hotel? Seems to be a better price option, but don't know if it's an easy walk to the stadium/campus for us. Also there is a really cheap option.. The Inn on Broadway. I understand you get what you pay for, but is that choice even a real option? I apologize about bugging everyone on here with this, but the input is much appreciated. Thanks again.

Campbell House is a nice hotel. However, it is too far to walk to the game and it is not on a shuttle route. It is 2 miles to downtown from that hotel. Your money would be wisely spent on a downtown hotel, just for the convenience (lots of restaurants, bars, Kentucky Theater, Rupp Arena (NBA GAME), and the cheap and easy shuttle to the game. Also, Lexington has a FREE trolley that runs all over the downtown core. Take advantage of downtown. Your trip will be easier.

ADVERTISEMENT